Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

dongle

Scholar
POLL: What weapon would u proffer?
I KNOW ALL TEH WEPODS ARNT THERE

* DAGGER
* LONG SWORD
* BOW
* STAFF

-=floyd=- said:
I know there not all there but i mean out whats there
and I pick dagger
because i want to be a thief

-=floyd=- said:
Hmm u got pms?
GET BENT
personly i dont c eny thing rong with this post/poll
u got a problem??
tell me
but just say [censored] insolts

-=floyd=- said:
ga? eny hoo
y do u all hate me
u can understand it cant u
thats all that really mater i sorry im not a geek and y isnt eny one her talking about the topic
AHHHH u people anoy me

OK, who's alt is this? Fess up. . . .

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Look at this idiot:

Why I think Oblivion will be awesome:

Here's a small list. I'm sure nearly all will agree.

1.More action. Morrowind felt boring after a bit, like the RPG system just leaked out to you, calculating your fate, in Oblivion, everything is made so you'll want to do it again. No more stand still fights, there's ducking and weaving to be done, stealth is exciting now, as you perfrom stealth attacks, magic is thrilling, I will enjoy blowing monsters away, short circuiting them, and converting small rooms into a freezer.

As a theif, you sneak in the night, kill someone, drag their body away from gaurds, jump up some boxes, across a roof, drop into an alley, sneak away, that kind of thing.

If you go beserk in a tavern, guards will flood through the doors, some people will sneak away, others will defend themselves/others, you'll be knocking people left and right, items flying off the tables.

Mage? You wander as a necromancer, shocking that last bit of life out of someone, only to raise them again to do your bidding, or perhaps you are a kind man who heals the wounded soldiers protecting an attack from Oblvion.

It's this kind of thing that hooks me, the action makes you feel more involved with the world.

2.Looks beatiful. Eroded soil, tall grass, trees shaking in the wind, double levels skies above, wander into a crypt, dark and muggy, chains hanging, skeletons creeping, great ambience all around.

3.Features. You've just defeated a powerful necromancer, you leave the cave you were in, get on your horse, ride to the village you are living in, shop around, go to the tavern to hear a few rumors, head home, place your precious newfound artifacts on a table, and rest in your bed that night. You wake up the day after, ride to the arena, earn some septims showing your strength, and ride out following a rumor of nearby vampires.

In Morrowind, you were a homeless man, who didn't have any friends. In Oblivion, you own a few houses, do some freelance work, and gather your artifacts in your house.

4.Better balance. I feel the RPG system is not only there, but it is improved. I fail to see the need of some skills you train to acheive in, but find out they are practically worthless later on. With Oblivion, you get 7 skills as Main skills, and 14 as Misc skills. This let's you amek a character with any skills, and he'll still be good. I could take Athletics, Hand-to-Hand, Armorer, Alchemy, Acrobatics, Mercantile, and Speechcraft, probably the most useless combination, but then I'd just become a Monk tradesmen by accident. With Alch, Merc, Speech, and Arm, I save tons of money, so I can buy really good equipment, which would let me train one of the two armor types easily, And Acro, Ath, and Hand-to-Hand means I fight like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Not to mention Speechcraft's ability to get what you want from people.

5.Finally, the AI. No doubt here, the AI is several times better. now they follow you through cells (doors), get around objects easily, others assist them, some flee in terror, others still will trick you, and you can find new ways to trick them. Good stuff...

Summary: Good job Bethesda, I loved Morrowind, and I'll surely love this game 10x as much, even with my weak PC. smile.gif Hopefully, I'll get a new PC by the end of the year to play this game well.

Lappa

Novice
You bitter bitter people :-/

Seriously, yea the ES forums suck, but don't you have anything better to do? It's the same with any major forum, honestly, what were you expecting?

And can someone tell me what the hell is wrong with TESIV? What do you want? Spears? If you want depth go play PnP RPGs or whatever it is you geeks do.

Solik

Scholar
I agree with that guy's list, even if it is a bit... over-expectant.

callehe

Liturgist
Lappa said:

Seriously, yea the ES forums suck, but don't you have anything better to do? It's the same with any major forum, honestly, what were you expecting?

And can someone tell me what the hell is wrong with TESIV? What do you want? Spears? If you want depth go play PnP RPGs or whatever it is you geeks do.

we geeks fuck your momma in the ass. with spears.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
callehe said:
Lappa said:

we geeks fuck your momma in the ass. with spears.

Sadly predictable.
Even more sadly still made me chuckle...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lappa said:
Seriously, yea the ES forums suck, but don't you have anything better to do?
Better to do than what? Watching them? It's a free entertainment.

It's the same with any major forum, honestly, what were you expecting?
Not really.

Uh, yes, spears. That's the one. We can't enjoy a game if it doesn't have spears. I'm surprised that you figured that out so quickly.

Lappa

Novice
So is looking at retards. How often do you do that?

Not really.
Yea really? (OH SHIT I CAN BACK IT UP TOO)

Uh, yes, spears. That's the one. We can't enjoy a game if it doesn't have spears. I'm surprised that you figured that out so quickly.

That would have been witty had you spotted the sarcasm in my original post.

HOLY SHIT FALLOUT! DOC, MARTIN, GRAB THE FUCKING DELOREAN! WE'RE GOING BACK! BACK TO 1985!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lappa said:
Most retards I've seen are smarter then an average TES poster, so it's not the same.

Wow! You found 3 examples out of hundreds of large forums to back up your point. I'm impressed.

Lappa

Novice
Lappa said:
Most retards I've seen are smarter then an average TES poster, so it's not the same.
Wait, how does that change anything?

Wow! You found 3 examples out of hundreds of large forums to back up your point. I'm impressed.
Wow! You found 0 examples out of hundreds of large forums to back up your point. I'm impressed. What did you fucking want? 50?

We could go on like this forever. Say something smart instead of being the typical 10k poster. Good combat and spoken dialog is no reason for oblivion to be less of an rpg. Just because some Infinity engine game couldnt have interesting combat doesen't mean good combat sucks.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lappa said:
Lappa said:
Was it supposed to?

Wow! You found 0 examples ...
Why bother? The truth is TES forums are one of the most idiotic places on the net (120+ "can my computer run Oblivion?" threads is a proof), and it's hard to find an equally stupid place. However, if you insist that all major forums are like that, I'll take your word for it. Happy now?

Good combat and spoken dialog is no reason for oblivion to be less of an rpg. Just because some Infinity engine game couldnt have interesting combat doesen't mean good combat sucks.
Is that sarcasm again?

Chefe

Erudite
I would make a magic card for you, but I feel that you're not worth the time.

*yawn*

Can't you come up with anything better?

Lappa

Novice
Lappa said:
Lappa said:
Was it supposed to?
Yes?

Wow! You found 0 examples ...
Why bother? The truth is TES forums are one of the most idiotic places on the net (120+ "can my computer run Oblivion?" threads is a proof), and it's hard to find an equally stupid place. However, if you insist that all major forums are like that, I'll take your word for it. Happy now?
Yes?

Good combat and spoken dialog is no reason for oblivion to be less of an rpg. Just because some Infinity engine game couldnt have interesting combat doesen't mean good combat sucks.
Is that sarcasm again?
No?

Whee, a pointless reply. Am I a cool codexer now? O wait, YOUR MOTHER IS A WHORE. How about now?

If you think rpgs are going down the drain then why are over half the threads about oblivion? Go talk about playing through torment with only spendings point on dexterity or whatever you did before TESIV.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Unfortunately Lappa, TES:IV Oblivion is big news in the "RPG" sector. Mostly because there is little focus on decent RPG games, and itcomes from the stable that produced DF. Unfortunately it is moving further and further away from it's RPG roots and more into the pretty action oriented adventure that sells so well on consoles - no real depth, limited challenge other than with a joystick, and a short burst of adrenalin for gamers suffering from ADHD. Everything is being simplified (dumbed down), and other features are removed to allow them to dedicate time/resources to issues that (in some cases) while nice, are not replacments for genuine RPG features.

Thrawn05

Scholar
Lappa said:
If you think rpgs are going down the drain then why are over half the threads about oblivion? Go talk about playing through torment with only spendings point on dexterity or whatever you did before TESIV.

If you bothered to read those threads, you will see that we are discussing Oblivion, and from this exchange of ideas we the codex have found TESIV Guilty of violating a number RPG laws. Sentencing hearings will be held shortly.

Lappa

Novice
Nog Robbin said:
Unfortunately Lappa, TES:IV Oblivion is big news in the "RPG" sector. Mostly because there is little focus on decent RPG games, and itcomes from the stable that produced DF. Unfortunately it is moving further and further away from it's RPG roots and more into the pretty action oriented adventure that sells so well on consoles - no real depth, limited challenge other than with a joystick, and a short burst of adrenalin for gamers suffering from ADHD. Everything is being simplified (dumbed down), and other features are removed to allow them to dedicate time/resources to issues that (in some cases) while nice, are not replacments for genuine RPG features.

Before I embarass myself, what did you think of Morrowind?

*edit* I'm not bothering with you anymore Vault Dweller. You're not unlike the trolls at TES forums, sadly. In three posts you said absolutely nothing.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lappa said:
Lappa said:
Lappa said:
Was it supposed to?
Yes?
Why?

Is that sarcasm again?
No?
Then you've failed to understand the nature of the criticism.

Am I a cool codexer now?
No

O wait, YOUR MOTHER IS A WHORE. How about now?
Still a "no".

If you think rpgs are going down the drain then why are over half the threads about oblivion?
Something to talk about. It's a free country, aint it? If people feel the need to discuss it to death, who am I to say no?

Go talk about playing through torment with only spendings point on dexterity ...
Huh? You are weird, you know that?

Balor

Arcane
Hey, if you don't like us this much, what the fuck are you dont here?!
You think that all forums are as retarted as Oblivion General? Damn, I really pity you - I'd go hang myself if all forums I've visited were like that. Thankfully, somehow I end up with forums full of intelligent discussions.
Good combat and spoken dialog is no reason for oblivion to be less of an rpg.
Are you THAT dumb, or just playing a dumbfuck?

Now, let's reverse the question "Does it make it BETTER RPG?"
Please name some features that make Oblivion a great RPG?
Wikipedic monologues?
Tetris persuation?
Linear plot?
Confessions of Todd that it's a dungeon hack?
:roll:

Lappa

Novice
Balor said:
Hey, if you don't like us this much, what the fuck are you dont here?!
You think that all forums are as retarted as Oblivion General? Damn, I really pity you - I'd go hang myself if all forums I've visited were like that. Thankfully, somehow I end up with forums full of intelligent discussions.
Good combat and spoken dialog is no reason for oblivion to be less of an rpg.

Now, let's reverse the question "Does it make it BETTER RPG?"
Please name some features that make Oblivion a great RPG?
Wikipedic monologues?
Tetris persuation?
Linear plot?
Confessions of Todd that it's a dungeon hack?
:roll:

HOLY SHIT, MY EYES! THEY BLEED! Bandwagon boy ahoy!

1) I said all major forums have their retards. (This one too apparently?)

2)
Nice countering my argument there. Way to go.

3)
Wikipedic monologues
That's Morrowind, kid. The dialog seems half decent in Oblivion.

4) Linear plot? Not much more so than any other game. Come on, someone else has to agree with me on this one?

5) And ofcourse it's a dungeon hack. What were you expecting. Alot of great RPGs are dungeonhacks, and I dare you to proove me wrong. *edit* and none of those fucking indie rpgs. Ever heard of books? Same thing, less crappy combat.

6) Otsosi, pedik. Golovoi dumai. Tibe skolko let?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom