Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Blunts by a landslide in oblivion because the sole fact that you can just block any swod attack thrown at you adn then kome back with a shield/ wepon crushing MACE or batle hammer or axe atack that not alone dose more damge but brealks equipment much faster.

PERIOD
I think this guy has been indulging a bit too much with the blunts.

edit:
By the way, I vote blunts. Not only because omgaxesrbluntlol, but because swords are so cliché.

Stella Brando

Arcane
SanguinePenguin said:
Nothing wrong with a little sodomy!

I can't believe that after that masterpiece, Jackson was willing to lower himself to making Lord of the Rings.

Stella Brando

Arcane
How can someone possibly read those forums? A thread is just the same pointless short answers over and over. They don't even discuss anything.

obediah

Erudite
I love how everyone over there is comfortable posting whatever comes to their mind as cannon. You can tell many of these people have never wasted a moment thinking about what it would take to design or program a good game.

They just assume that the game will follow their (very limited and often wrong) view of reality. One person says blunt will crush equipment used to block, another says blades are better because the cut you, then it doesn't matter at all - pick which one looks cooler, the next says all blunt do more damage, but blades are faster.

A few people were acknowledged that they didn't know what the game did, but talked about real world issues. And a few brave souls, god bless them, are still unable to embrace the blunt axe. I certainly couldn't carry on any conversation based on the premise that axes were blunt weapons (at least new).

Data4

Arcane
Lumpy said:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=236383&view=findpost&p=4229758

I can't believe you didn't single out this gem on the first page of that thread:

Some dumbshit ESF drone said:
If you want a "true" RPG then go play Final Fantasy.If you want a fun and normal game play Obivion

edit: Other wise get off my forums

I have no words for that.

-D4

Thrawn05

Scholar
Lumpy said:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=236383&view=findpost&p=4229758

Didn't we just have this converstation? :roll:

obediah said:
A few people were acknowledged that they didn't know what the game did, but talked about real world issues. And a few brave souls, god bless them, are still unable to embrace the blunt axe. I certainly couldn't carry on any conversation based on the premise that axes were blunt weapons (at least new).

Same here. Those people have become delusional because they've told themselves for months that Oblivion will be the best game ever. They won't listen to reason anymore.

Relien

Scholar
Thrawn05 said:
Those people have become delusional because they've told themselves for months that Oblivion will be the best game ever. They won't listen to reason anymore.
This is odd. I was quite hyped myself a couple of months ago, I was really looking forward to Oblivion. I still do, but I calmed down a lot, realizing all its "features" I overlooked before. I can't say the Codex didn't play its part in it :) But they have already crossed some treshold or something.

mrmarcus

Novice
Data4 said:
If you want a "true" RPG then go play Final Fantasy.If you want a fun and normal game play Obivion

-D4

Wow. That's just...

I mean... really mind-boggingly stupid!

FF = interactive movie RPG

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
I believe they're bots posting and not real human being. A mashed bean has an higher IQ.

oherror

Liturgist
mrmarcus said:
Data4 said:

-D4

Wow. That's just...

I mean... really mind-boggingly stupid!

FF = interactive movie RPG

typical response of tes drones....compairing trash with trash

Baphomet

Scholar
Dumb newb question: what's ESF?

When I think of a FF style game I just call it a "theatre RPG." That basically means the story unfolds for the player and he or she doesn't do very much to impact the course of that story. Some of these games are good. Shadow Hearts (the first one, not the second one) was great despite its hokiness. I'm going to check out Digital Devil Saga one of these days.

My working theory is an American game shop with someone who actually knows how to write could make an awesome theatre RPG. Our perception of them might be skewed because we're used to every single game using the same cliche's and generic translated text.

Zomg

Arbiter
Baphomet said:
Dumb newb question: what's ESF?

Boy, that's a question the Codex probably wishes all new folks had at the tips of their fingers.

Baphomet said:
When I think of a FF style game I just call it a "theatre RPG." That basically means the story unfolds for the player and he or she doesn't do very much to impact the course of that story. Some of these games are good. Shadow Hearts (the first one, not the second one) was great despite its hokiness. I'm going to check out Digital Devil Saga one of these days.

My working theory is an American game shop with someone who actually knows how to write could make an awesome theatre RPG. Our perception of them might be skewed because we're used to every single game using the same cliche's and generic translated text.

I think that the usual Western/American idiom for that kind of theater narrative is the adventure-puzzle game. The game Anachronox is an attempt at your idea, though - I didn't like it, but some people here do.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Boy, that's a question the Codex probably wishes all new folks had at the tips of their fingers.

No shit. I suppose I'm relatively new to the Codex myself, but I've still seen, about twice a month, a sudden inrush of ESF people registering here and dragging down the collective IQ and spamming "omg wy u not liek bethdsua?" and "well wut typ of gaems DO u leik?!" in the forum.

obediah

Erudite
wow, those forums never fail to reach new depths. 90% of the people can't even grasp that combat mechanics are an issue of personal preference rather than absolute bad and good. I mean we all post opinons as statements with an assumed IMO, but they seem incapable of grasping that anyone could find enjoyment in a stat driven game.

I did like this one

defeatist yet lucid ESF poster said:
New RPGs tends to merge different types of games into one.

For good or bad this is evolution, if you don't like this i recommend you to play Daggerfall until the end of your lives.

It hints at some understanding of how the game industry has changed in the past 15 years and doesn't push the posters favorite game style as the one true game. I give it 7 TES stars out of 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom