Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

dongle

Scholar
Something of a revolt happening over there, have ya'll noticed?

Three new screenshots came out, thread after thread is getting started about how much worse they look. Several got locked for silly reasons, until so many started the mods couldn't think of enough excuses to stop 'em. Of course the usual litany of replies; bad jpeg/only object shadows changed/looks better in motion/low settings. Someone even suggested Bethesda purposely took screenshots at low quality settings so folks with older computers could know what to expect, but forgot to tell anyone! A significant number of posters seem less and less wowed tho. Problem with putting all your eggs in the graphical basket, I guess.

(Not really On Topic, but doesn't deserve a whole new thread.)

Data4

Arcane
You know what's funny? I thought that one shot of the Fighter's guild guy showed an improvement on textures for the character, but the background is absolute shit. No normal/bumpmapping at all. Of course, the first thing I noticed was the stark reminder of the groundbreaking non-improvements in dialog.

dongle said:
(Not really On Topic, but doesn't deserve a whole new thread.)

No worries there. It's not like it doesn't happen all the time here. ;)

-D4

aweigh

Arcane
I can't believe you guys missed this gem! Concerning TES' levelling system, this bright lad chimed in with:

"its a realistic leveling system. you get better at what you do and as you go up in levels it gets harder to level up. in other rpgs you can be a barbarian and somehow gain magic abilities"

Bravo! He should win some type of award. Maybe a Darwin award?

obediah

Erudite
I got a kick out of the person that thought Dragonlance was his own special secret. Maybe the book store only had one copy of each while he was there, so he assumed they were the only ones made.

Almost as bad as on fark where people will photoshop random pop icons from the 80's into pictures and then "apologize" for it being so obscure. I think I lost my account for following up every one with "Listen asshole * is not obscure. Google it you dumbfuck"

aweigh

Arcane
Haha, well what can you expect from people who praise TES learn-what-you-do system because it is "realistic" in that a Barbarian-type will nevah learn teh magicks, like in those other RPG's.

Master Thief

Scholar
dongle said:
Data4 said:
You know what's funny? I thought that one shot of the Fighter's guild guy showed an improvement. . . .
Really?

Oblivion ca 2004:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ ... liv04B.jpg

Oblivion ca 2006:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ ... obx26B.jpg

Same armor, same imperial brick, same race(?), so prolly a good before/after comparison. Whatever "before" was, in-game or outright fake.

If it was a fake it wouldn't be the first time...

Levski 1912

Scholar
The first new screenshot (city gate in the distance) looks almost exactly like Morrowind.

And don't give me the JPEG excuse, it's on Bethesda's official site.

Levski 1912

Scholar
See the fear in the <s>orc</s> <s>radscorpion</s> daedra's eyes!

Oh, and fleshwounds?

pdstmpt00027zz.jpg

Obligatory.

Data4

Arcane
dongle said:
Data4 said:
You know what's funny? I thought that one shot of the Fighter's guild guy showed an improvement. . . .
Really?

Oblivion ca 2004:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ ... liv04B.jpg

Oblivion ca 2006:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ ... obx26B.jpg

Same armor, same imperial brick, same race(?), so prolly a good before/after comparison. Whatever "before" was, in-game or outright fake.

Yeah, what I'm talking is the skin texture and the eyes. Plus, the nose doesn't look all retarded like the "Humble Bard" and Septim. Regarding the eyes, the specular highlights go a long way towards adding some life to the face. As for the armor, the old one is better, hands down.

-D4

Levski 1912

Scholar
I seriously don't see the big improvement over MW+Better Bodies/Heads. It's like TES is frozen in time.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
They have their screenshots split up between 360 and PC. I think that the 360 doesn't look as good as the PC screens. Aren't they supposed to be identical?

obediah

Erudite
Flyingdonkeypunch said:
If graphics don't matter, why doesn't everyone still play Zelda and Double Dragon constantly? We do still play them because they're great, but think of Zelda with Oblivion graphics, w00t!

Ahhh, he's launched a flying donkey punch to the logic center of my brain. If the mods would remove rubbish like this, rather than the posts pointing out it makes no sense the TES forums would be much better off.

dongle

Scholar
Master Thief said:
Game Developers are like Pimps trying to sell you their sexiest Hooker even though she has Herpes...and a dick.
Paging StalinBrando. . . .

Data4 said:
Yeah, what I'm talking is the skin texture and the eyes. Plus, the nose doesn't look all retarded like the "Humble Bard" and Septim. Regarding the eyes, the specular highlights go a long way towards adding some life to the face. As for the armor, the old one is better, hands down.
I see what you mean. I think the reason Emperor Stewart looks so goofy is they’re trying to use the normal maps to do wrinkles and make him look old. The highlights in the new guy’s eyes do look good, only they are mirror imaged making him look google-eyed. They should have flipped one side over, so it looks as if the highlights are on the same sides of the eyeballs.

Anyway, the guy looks pretty good. The lighting’s fucked up, making him glow orange all over. Compare to my first link where the back half of the head is shaded.

Country_Gravy said:
They have their screenshots split up between 360 and PC. I think that the 360 doesn't look as good as the PC screens. Aren't they supposed to be identical?
They stopped releasing PC screenshots some time ago, and have only been showing 360 ones. They have been looking steadily worse, in my opinion, as time goes on.

obediah

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Don't worry at least half of them are bound to wander out into traffic one of these days.

yeah, but stupid people tend to reproduce so young, and so often. The world would be much better if sex involved some calculus. Let me amend that to only on the man's part. I just remembered a few calculus classes.

Levski 1912

Scholar
I've forgotten most of what I did in calculus, but then again, I loathe children. So I guess obediah's excellent idea doesn't affect me.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I'm having trouble in precalculus because I remember calculus from high school, but not precal, so I often get notes on my tests back, "You aren't suppose to know how to do this yet! I wanted you to do it algebraically!!" and a point counted off or something.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Levski 1912 said:
I've forgotten most of what I did in calculus, but then again, I loathe children. So I guess obediah's excellent idea doesn't affect me.

You don't want children, therefore you don't wand sex?!?!? Are you possessed by satan?

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
kingcomrade said:
I'm having trouble in precalculus because I remember calculus from high school, but not precal, so I often get notes on my tests back, "You aren't suppose to know how to do this yet! I wanted you to do it algebraically!!" and a point counted off or something.

quee

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom