Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

Nightjed

Liturgist
OverrideB1 said:
That would be something I'd like to see too. None of this carrying a house on your back or bottomless "bags of holding" crap, just a realistically sized inventory. The clothes you stand up in (with maybe a pocket or two for small items), your armour, your weapons of choice (2 or maybe three - if they're not oversized halbards or heavy maces), a belt-pouch (for money - which has some weight and small gemstones) and a small backpack for everything else.

Weight of armour/weapons and everything you carry should balance out - the average person can carry about 15% of their body-weight comfortably so maxed out loads shouldn't exceed about 20-25% of body-weight unless your avatar is a body-builder/weight-lifter.

Looting bodies should provide a (very) small chance of picking up better equipment unless you've just bumped off the local duke/lord/big cheese but most loot should be of comparable quality to your own - which shouldn't (unless you've paid a large chunk of cash) be top of the line right out of the starting gate. Padded leather/leather with metal plates should be pretty much the maximum a starting character can obtain.

This does, however, bring up the problem of your avatar never having a huge bundle of cash to hand. Which means there needs to be a viable economy, along with an infrastructure (banks) to allow the player to accumulate cash for that steel armour, better sword, or whatever.

I've played a thousand rpgs, some with endless inventories and some with extremebly limited ones, and my conclusion is that restricted inventory ALWAYS ends up getting infuriating, that old "damnit i cant carry that damn extra scorpion tail" gets really really bad as you advance on the game and are forced to carry crap arround like ammo, drugs and things you will or might need, and then comes the "drop point" game where you create an item hub on some barrel where you return every 30 minutes of play.

I understand you might want a realistic feeling and all, but since i play games to have fun, i really hate features that slow me down or make the game boring, those kind of "extra challenge" options should be part of the difficulty options like unreal's mutators, or like SS Sentinels lets you choose things like autoheal or must-nurse-gameplay, in fact these kind of options would add a lot of replayability on games, but for the love of god dont FORCE them on players.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
I would love to see extra levels of realism on inventory also - but understand that to many having to make a choice about anything spoils the fun. I mean, fancy having to think about what you are carrying and what you may need. Far easier to just allow people to carry shed loads of shit and never be caught out by having the wrong things, eh? Who on earth wants consequences for their choices anyway?

But yeah - sarcasm aside - making this sort of thing optional would add challenge for those that enjoy the character management side. Other gamers could play in simple mode (or truck mode maybe).

Same could apply to need to eat, need to sleep etc.

Solik

Scholar
I like detailed character management on single-character games. Let me deal with food, drink, whether to put my dagger in my backpack or belt sheath, etc. It adds a rich new dimension.

In multi-character party games, it's a nuisance.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Solik said:
I like detailed character management on single-player games. Let me deal with food, drink, whether to put my dagger in my backpack or belt sheath, etc. It adds a rich new dimension.

In multi-character party games, it's a nuisance.
I don't think anyone would claim such features as you mentioned would enhance party-based games- it would appeal to obsessive micromanagers, but no others.

Single-character games just seem to allow greater depth of character, IMHO.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I also agree limitations are infuriating. Especially limited health. When I found the Black Troll in Gothic 2, man was I pissed because it'd kill me with like one or two hits. Sooo annoying.

Also, when I find a locked chest and I have no lockpick, one should automatically spawn in my inventory. Even better, I should get a "lockpicks keyring" when I learn the skill which gives me unlimited picks, so I don't have to load every time a pick breaks because it'd totally suck if I ended up having no lockpick when I need one.

AM I RITE OR WHAT??

spacemoose

Erudite
Claw said:
AM I RITE OR WHAT??

U R so rite, but don't forget to have lots of loot - like swords +3 at least! I hate it when after my hard work of killing rates, they give me just a +1 sword. It's gotta be at least +3, or what am I palaying the game for anyway??

Data4

Arcane
I have no specific link, and maybe I'm alone in this assessment. As you all probably know by now, the Oblivion section of the ESF has expanded to include Mods, the Construction Set, Hints and Spoilers, etc. Well, it's happening. What is "it"? Hard to explain.

The Morrowind Mod forum, barring the occasional "NE1 MAD HALO ARMER!?!?" poster, is generally a much better place than Oblivion General. These people are concerned with trying to make the games better in their own way, and you have to admire that quality, even if the additions, improvements, and so forth are not the type you like.

But... what if the fairly peaceful and reasonable Mod forum was suddenly invaded by the Oblivion General forum? You'd get... The Oblivion Mods forum. Modders among us, like Balor, Galsiah, Dongle, etc., I know you guys are probably cringing at the stuff going on there. :D

The week of March 20th will be glorious...

-D4

Nightjed

Liturgist
man, the that fact that i prefer to cary 50 tons of ammo arround and have fun shooting things over spending 10 of every 30 minutes of play managing my inventory doesnt make me a console-kiddo that solves anything with a cheat

when i play console games i always try to use an emulator instead, why ? i rather have bugs but have savestates and an option to fastfoward (some games are sooo slow...), i just rather have fun than to spend 50 hours trying to "craft" my weapon from a silver rock with a0.1% chance

Data4

Arcane
Nightjed said:
man, the that fact that i prefer to cary 50 tons of ammo arround and have fun shooting things over spending 10 of every 30 minutes of play managing my inventory doesnt make me a console-kiddo that solves anything with a cheat

when i play console games i always try to use an emulator instead, why ? i rather have bugs but have savestates and an option to fastfoward (some games are sooo slow...), i just rather have fun than to spend 50 hours trying to "craft" my weapon from a silver rock with a0.1% chance

It may not make you a "console kiddie", but it's clear RPGs aren't your thing. May I suggest Quake 4?

-D4

Excrément

Arbiter
Data4 said:
I have no specific link, and maybe I'm alone in this assessment. As you all probably know by now, the Oblivion section of the ESF has expanded to include Mods, the Construction Set, Hints and Spoilers, etc. Well, it's happening. What is "it"? Hard to explain.

The Morrowind Mod forum, barring the occasional "NE1 MAD HALO ARMER!?!?" poster, is generally a much better place than Oblivion General. These people are concerned with trying to make the games better in their own way, and you have to admire that quality, even if the additions, improvements, and so forth are not the type you like.

But... what if the fairly peaceful and reasonable Mod forum was suddenly invaded by the Oblivion General forum? You'd get... The Oblivion Mods forum. Modders among us, like Balor, Galsiah, Dongle, etc., I know you guys are probably cringing at the stuff going on there. :D

-D4

I don't think the Mods section people are more clever than the Oblivion General forum people.

The difference it is that in the Oblivion General forum, people posts because they are waiting for a game and they have nothing to say and in the Mod Section people post just to talk about possible mods for Oblivion. that's it.To post is an entertainment, to "mod" is an entertainment also. to share your mod is an entertainment, to share your impatience for a game also, to share your spoilers is, guuess what, an entertainment!

Posting in rpgcodex, in Oblivion Genreal, in DAC or in Morrowind Mod Section has no link with your intelligence.

Data4

Arcane
Excrément said:
Data4 said:

-D4

I don't think the Mods section people are more clever than the Oblivion General forum people.

The difference it is that in the Oblivion General forum, people posts because they are waiting for a game and they have nothing to say and in the Mod Section people post just to talk about possible mods for Oblivion. that's it.To post is an entertainment, to "mod" is an entertainment also. to share your mod is an entertainment, to share your impatience for a game also, to share your spoilers is, guuess what, an entertainment!

Posting in rpgcodex, in Oblivion Genreal, in DAC or in Morrowind Mod Section has no link with your intelligence.

You're still here? Hmm... Ah well, don't worry, Shit. I won't hold it against you that the obvious flew WAY, WAY over your head. You wacky frogs, I tell ya...

-D4

Excrément

Arbiter
Data4 said:
Excrément said:
Data4 said:

-D4

You're still here? Hmm... Ah well, don't worry, Shit. I won't hold it against you that the obvious flew WAY, WAY over your head. You wacky frogs, I tell ya...

-D4

You remind me Tom Delay, same qualities : bravery, humility, honesty, pertinence, charisma and humility.

who's your abramoff?

P.S : I am not a frog even if I wish.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Merde said:
You remind me Tom Delay, same qualities : bravery, humility, honesty, pertinence, charisma and humility.

who's your abramoff?

It's alright, Raffarin, you can come out now...

Zomg

Arbiter
One inventory compromise I like is the one where everything you wear, your armor and weapons, small items on your belt, etc. cost inventory space and generates encumberance, and the stuff that you don't, doesn't. The non-worn items are considered to be in some abstracted cart or on pack animals - so you still get problems if you're wearing sixty kilograms of armor, but the game doesn' think you've actually got those giant tapestries you picked up slung across your back.

Nog Robbin

Scholar
Zomg said:
One inventory compromise I like is the one where everything you wear, your armor and weapons, small items on your belt, etc. cost inventory space and generates encumberance, and the stuff that you don't, doesn't. The non-worn items are considered to be in some abstracted cart or on pack animals - so you still get problems if you're wearing sixty kilograms of armor, but the game doesn' think you've actually got those giant tapestries you picked up slung across your back.
Unfortunately this approach doesn't prevent someone from still being a truck. Pack animals and carts won't often fit into some of the environs you adventure in, yet you can still lug around ludicrous amounts of stuff. The more stuff/loot you can carry, the richer you become, and the more instantly prepared you are. It does remove *some* of the challenge, and certainly reduces the need for planning.

bryce777

Erudite
Zomg said:

In reality it is the opposite way,t hough. Anything on your person will not cause much encumbrance as long as it's distribute well. I know what you mean more of less, though.

Data4

Arcane
Excrément said:
Data4 said:
Excrément said:
Data4 said:

-D4

-D4

who's your abramoff?

P.S : I am not a frog even if I wish.

HA! I knew you were a fucking liberal. It all makes sense now.

-D4

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
I'd really rather not see my thread in this thread. This one gets on my nerves. Oh well.

Data4

Arcane
GBG, your post over there was fine. It's the reaction by the .5 second attention span ADHD kiddies that's being underscored. It's a shame you can't make a serious, heartfelt post over there without someone demonstrating how much of a moron they are. Of course, the same could be said of here, but you don't see too many people making serious, heartfelt posts over here.

-D4

dongle

Scholar
GhanBuriGhan said:
I'd really rather not see my thread in this thread. This one gets on my nerves. Oh well.
Sorry if I wasn't clear there. I was pointing out an inane -post- not an inane thread. Which is why I said "Best post evar, anyway:" and proceed to describe why. In any case, edited it out, sorry to cause offence, or undue attention.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Oh, I understood. I just don't like the whole idea of picking posts to laugh at. To me that seems juvenile, it doesn't prove a point. It's one of the low points of this forum, if you ask me. But whatever, I am fine avoiding this thread in the future.

dongle

Scholar
It's the internet, what else is there to do if we don't make fun of each other? :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom