Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG2 is overrated, not as good as BG1 and is not a top 10 CRPG

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Cael

Arcane
You can tell me you prefer BG1 quest structure, and im ok with that, but you cant claim its better than you adventures in the planar sphere. Which starts with the hunt for valygar corthala which also leads you to a forest where you fight a shadow dragon in another unrelated quest.
Reminds me of IWD2 when you are going to Shaengarne Ford. You kill off Torak's orcs and clean the troll cave on the way in what is best described as, "These were not about the quest and more like ohh, orcs in the way and now they are dead. Opps!"

Deleted Member 16721

This is the exact same thing for BG1. Are you fucking high? The only real difference is that BG1 has a ton of empty maps where you kill trashmobs.

Its the fucking same you retarded twat. BG2 fills the weak story with strong questing. BG1 fills it with fuckall.

They are both handcrafted. Tho why you would claim BG1 is "more handcrafted" than BG2 when you literally have huge maps with nothing but maybe a quest in BG1 while you have maps filled with encounters, traps and some puzzles sprinkled in BG2 is beyond me. I really think you have no fucking clue what you are talking about.

I dont care what BG2 feels like to you, you are an aspie. The truth is BG2 has very good questing.
In BG1 you get to generic area N°07, you find a chicken, it speaks. You take it to its "master", the chiken dies. You move on.
You go to generic area N°09, some hot chick wants to kiss you, you die.
But if you stick to the crit path, you get to the mines, you move from map to map to map, fight some enemies and a boss. Its the fucking same.

You can tell me you prefer BG1 quest structure, and im ok with that, but you cant claim its better than you adventures in the planar sphere. Which starts with the hunt for valygar corthala which also leads you to a forest where you fight a shadow dragon in another unrelated quest.

Because in BG1 theres actual exploration. In BG2 there isnt any, because exploration in BG1 is shit, and if you like it theres something wrong with you, but we already know theres something wrong with you. So just fuck off.

Apparently your Grind hookup was nailing you so hard that your constant head banging off the headboard of your bed has caused severe brain damage.

You are the essence of decline that has made BioWare what it was today. Their one great game of the original Baldur's Gate has been unmatched since and there's a reason everyone agrees with me. You side on the side of decline because you need "ZOMG QUESTS AND SHIT" when the idea is to adventure and explore, not just do set pieces that are "ZOMG SUPER CRAFTED AND EPICCC". Talking to the chicken is better than anything BG2 has to offer including that shitty Planar Sphere that is full of fuck-all crap to waste your time. Ever heard of LESS IS MORE? That's exactly why BG1 is better and you are an Agent of Decline fucking up gaming for the rest of us. Go back to Grindr please, k thx.

ToddMcF2002

Educated
BG1 was trying to emulate a DnD session. Its not about 1000 side quests and gauntlet battles. Its adventuring period. It captured the essence of DnD (the version at the time) better than BG2 did.

Deleted Member 16721

BG1 was trying to emulate a DnD session. Its not about 1000 side quests and gauntlet battles. Its adventuring period. It captured the essence of DnD (the version at the time) better than BG2 did.

This exactly. Adventuring period. Which outweighs any positive aspects BG2 might have (which IMO are few, especially if you prefer lower level content to begin with.)

ToddMcF2002

Educated
BG2 seemed like a series of skill challenges for BG1 veterans as a main design principle. Its a great PC game with great character development (min/max variety) but its a farcry from any kind of DnD session. There are certain battles in that game I'll never forget but otherwise I found it fairly forgetable. Meanwhile I remember every facet of BG1. Every cave. Every building. I didn't love everything about BG1 but it has undeniable appeal for anyone who spent half of middle school around a table with friends eating prezels and scribbling on graph paper.

purpleblob

Savant

And that doesn't make BG1 better than BG2 - it merely describes what you prefer more. I wanted to play cRPG, not PnP. I didn't want "explore the empty area" kind of adventure, which sounds like what you prefer. I wanted exciting adventure where every corner is chock full of content.

This exactly. Adventuring period. Which outweighs any positive aspects BG2 might have (which IMO are few, especially if you prefer lower level content to begin with.)

Again, you are saying you prefer it. You are being subjective, not objective at all.

ToddMcF2002

Educated
I pretty clearly described what I think the design goal differences are. I never actually said one was better than the other right?

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
BG1's story is reasonably tasteful and intelligent. When I loaded up BG2 for the first time I was absolutely disgusted by the inferior graphics, the hamfisted, crass storytelling, and the ridiculous bloat of ultrapowerful shit all over the place. I ragequit and only came back a few weeks later. BG2 is fun and big but also vulgar and popamole. BG1 would never have stooped to 'you must rescue Imoen', which is incredibly bad.

Just look how they ruined Viconia's portrait between the games - from a powerful witch with upraised arms and metal armour to some animefag TRASH with leather straps and an insouciant, fruity expression. Awful!

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Reminds me of IWD2 when you are going to Shaengarne Ford. You kill off Torak's orcs and clean the troll cave on the way in what is best described as, "These were not about the quest and more like ohh, orcs in the way and now they are dead. Opps!"
Them is fighting words, "fren"!
Icewind Dale series is the tactic games for people who want to do tactics, not RPG. The killing stuffs is the focus of the series, not questing or character or story or shietz!
The maps just need a bare reason to be there. If you focus on "WHY" it has to be there you lose.
For example: the Torak's orcs are there because they are the outer guards of the Dam, which is the one focus of the 1st chapter. The other focus is the Fortress.
In essence, IWD2 maps is series of map linked to each other so you can do linear exploration. If you cant get through the1st map, you wont get to 2nd map any other way.
For example, you can be the cheesy mouse that wont kill the Torak's orcs and do a stealth run through the map (if you cheese like fuck). but if you CAN NOT get to the other side of the map, good luck with get to the 2nd map.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
What isn't clear is why the hell would you fight over these two RTwP retarded games ?

BG1
= average story with some retarded elements
= some alright companions and some massively bland, one of these games that makes you long for full party creation, i'd only save Minsc

--- Retarded RtwP combat system which you have to endure all along, and for what exactly ? People only played it back in the days because there wasn't any other modern cRPG to play
- retarded banters

BG2
+ some interesting side quests
+/- some alright companions, most of them annoying / bland

--- Same as BG1
--- Retarded storyline
--------- Irenicus / Imoen some of the worst NPC ever created

Lhynn

Arcane
BG1's story is reasonably tasteful and intelligent.
This is a good point, the iron problem, the rumors of war, the political unstability and the attempts on your life all being related is pretty great.

When I loaded up BG2 for the first time I was absolutely disgusted by the inferior graphics
This doesnt get brought up enough but its true. I love BG1 maps, if i remember correctly it was all handpainted and it gave the game this unique aesthetic.

the hamfisted, crass storytelling, and the ridiculous bloat of ultrapowerful shit all over the place.
In case you missed it, BG1 ends and you are the son of a god. The writing could have been better, but high level stuff was just where the story was going.

BG2 is fun and big but also vulgar and popamole.
Its forgotten realms, its a vulgar and dumb setting, but lets not pretend BG1 didnt go there, constantly. And its hardly popamole, the magic system is too indepth to ever call it that.

BG1 would never have stooped to 'you must rescue Imoen', which is incredibly bad.
Actually motivation in BG1 and 2 are roughly the same. It can be self discovery, it can be motivated by your fatherly/sisterly figure, it can be revenge or it can be because you need to kill your enemies before they kill you.

Just look how they ruined Viconia's portrait between the games - from a powerful witch with upraised arms and metal armour to some animefag TRASH with leather straps and an insouciant, fruity expression. Awful!
Thats just nitpicky as fuck.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
RTWP is perfectly fine when it is done well. The annoying kiddie characters, cliched setting and cheese dialogue, don't really matter unless you're a storyfag. Making your own party really helps. And the combat is decent, especially for the time.

Deleted Member 16721

This is the exact same thing for BG1. Are you fucking high? The only real difference is that BG1 has a ton of empty maps where you kill trashmobs.

Its the fucking same you retarded twat. BG2 fills the weak story with strong questing. BG1 fills it with fuckall.

No it isn't. In BG1 you naturally explore maps, which open new maps in an organic way. Go west, go further through the mountains, maybe head south this time and open a new map, like a real adventure. BG2 is literally bounce from set piece to set piece.

They are both handcrafted. Tho why you would claim BG1 is "more handcrafted" than BG2 when you literally have huge maps with nothing but maybe a quest in BG1 while you have maps filled with encounters, traps and some puzzles sprinkled in BG2 is beyond me. I really think you have no fucking clue what you are talking about.

Yes, they're handcrafted, and BG2 has more "stuff", but less is more in this case. BG1 having sparse maps with not much to find adds to the feeling of adventure, because a new player will not know what they are going to find. BG2 crammed too much "stuff" into the game, it's so dense it's ridiculous, including quests thrown at you left and right that scream urgency at every turn.

I dont care what BG2 feels like to you, you are an aspie. The truth is BG2 has very good questing.
In BG1 you get to generic area N°07, you find a chicken, it speaks. You take it to its "master", the chiken dies. You move on.
You go to generic area N°09, some hot chick wants to kiss you, you die.
But if you stick to the crit path, you get to the mines, you move from map to map to map, fight some enemies and a boss. Its the fucking same.

Nah, far from it. You have to explore areas to open paths to new areas. You can't just bounce miles away like in BG2 where you just jump from set piece map to set piece map. You actually have to adventure a bit. it's like BG2 introduced an early form of fast travel that depletes the overall atmosphere and adventure.

Nah, again, less is more. There's some cool quests in BG2 no doubt, but it doesn't outweigh the overall level of exploration and discovery in BG1. Even Aerie's initial quest is cool, but that's beside the point. I thought the Planar Sphere sucked and was just there to add even more density of content to an already overloaded game.

Because in BG1 theres actual exploration. In BG2 there isnt any, because exploration in BG1 is shit, and if you like it theres something wrong with you, but we already know theres something wrong with you. So just fuck off.

Um, okay? You insult me one more time and I'm going to punch you in the teeth through my monitor and break your jaw. You fucking fuckface.

I responded because I was bored, enjoy. Not much to tell other than difference in tastes reallly.

Cael

Arcane
Them is fighting words, "fren"!
Icewind Dale series is the tactic games for people who want to do tactics, not RPG. The killing stuffs is the focus of the series, not questing or character or story or shietz!
The maps just need a bare reason to be there. If you focus on "WHY" it has to be there you lose.
For example: the Torak's orcs are there because they are the outer guards of the Dam, which is the one focus of the 1st chapter. The other focus is the Fortress.
In essence, IWD2 maps is series of map linked to each other so you can do linear exploration. If you cant get through the1st map, you wont get to 2nd map any other way.
For example, you can be the cheesy mouse that wont kill the Torak's orcs and do a stealth run through the map (if you cheese like fuck). but if you CAN NOT get to the other side of the map, good luck with get to the 2nd map.
Actually, Torak's orcs were not the guard. They were just in the way. At no point were they linked to the horde at all. It was only after them that we got to the guards proper (the beastlord druids and were-whatevers).

laclongquan

Arcane
Torak's Broken tusk clan took over the outer maps before the Dam. they enslave the villagers and send them to work on the Dam. Whatever pretty tittle they would take, they are the outer guards.

Mind you, I never said a word about their roles in the horde. it's unimportant anyway, because they are there, doing the roles they are supposed to do. Why the game would need to illustrate what they already did anyway?

Yosharian

Arcane
No it isn't. In BG1 you naturally explore maps, which open new maps in an organic way. Go west, go further through the mountains, maybe head south this time and open a new map, like a real adventure. BG2 is literally bounce from set piece to set piece.

Can we get an exact explanation on what you mean when you say that BG2 'literally' bounces from 'set piece to set piece'? What exactly is a 'set piece' in your opinion?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You are the essence of decline that has made BioWare what it was today. Their one great game of the original Baldur's Gate has been unmatched since and there's a reason everyone agrees with me. You side on the side of decline because you need "ZOMG QUESTS AND SHIT" when the idea is to adventure and explore, not just do set pieces that are "ZOMG SUPER CRAFTED AND EPICCC". Talking to the chicken is better than anything BG2 has to offer including that shitty Planar Sphere that is full of fuck-all crap to waste your time. Ever heard of LESS IS MORE? That's exactly why BG1 is better and you are an Agent of Decline fucking up gaming for the rest of us. Go back to Grindr please, k thx.

Since at least 60% of BG1's map real estate consists of empty nothingness, and you consider "less is more", and you profess that you don't need quests and shit to be entertained, then your perfect RPG would probably be something the size of 10 km² with only 5 quests to find in that world, and only about 4 km² of it filled with content at all while the other 6 km² are empty wilderness devoid of anything interesting.

Because, you know.

It's about the exploring, not about set pieces that are hand-crafted and actually entertaining.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
ITT Fluent tries to surpass mfkndggrfll "retarded" ratings amount. That's going to be an uphill battle, but i can only salute such a dedication!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom