Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG2 is overrated, not as good as BG1 and is not a top 10 CRPG

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Theldaran

Liturgist
Pardon the derail, but is it true that Kingmaker has no proper ending? I want my barony with statues of me and all whiny and goody-two-shoes characters thrown in the dungeons.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Pardon the derail, but is it true that Kingmaker has no proper ending? I want my barony with statues of me and all whiny and goody-two-shoes characters thrown in the dungeons.

We can derail because it's a shit topic which belongs in retardo.

Depends what you mean by proper ending. Felt pretty satisfactory to me, but I really doubt there will be a direct sequel.

Theldaran

Liturgist
RPG modules don't tend to have sequels. They can keep the franchise, but bring us some other thing (Osirion? That megadungeon? Razor Coast...?)

hell bovine

Arcane
It does have a proper ending, actually a few possible endings depending on some choices your character made throughout the game. That part is good. Unfortunately, in order to get there, you have to slog through two chapters of repetitive, bullsh... mobs. Imagine getting to the last part of BG2 and the game devs going 'oh, you're in the abyss now, so you'll have to fight at least twenty hordes of overpowered demons before you get to the boss! Enjoy!" :hahano:

Theldaran

Liturgist
I'm thinking of skipping Kingmaker and waiting for more mature iterations.

I'll leave supporting the game to the Paizodrones.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I found it satsifactory neverthless. For example you basically never use "raise dead/resurrection" in BG1/BG2 while in that part I had to use it (several times), and it was pretty good to be able to finish it.

Deleted Member 16721

Ironically, Pathfinder has no city to show and fails at epic level combat (last two chapters) by comparison, which is why I'm guessing you haven't finished it either... Before proclaiming it's so much better. :roll:

Kingmaker is closer to BG1 for most of the game. And I'm in Chapter 5 and waiting on the Wildcards DLC to come out to finish my run. But cool that you look like an idiot for assuming.

hell bovine

Arcane
Ironically, Pathfinder has no city to show and fails at epic level combat (last two chapters) by comparison, which is why I'm guessing you haven't finished it either... Before proclaiming it's so much better. :roll:

Kingmaker is closer to BG1 for most of the game. And I'm in Chapter 5 and waiting on the Wildcards DLC to come out to finish my run. But cool that you look like an idiot for assuming.
And yet my assumption turned out to be true, how very unsurprising.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
BG2 is full of dogshit gimmicks like the city subsections (which are justt plonked about and disconnected unlike BG1 having a real city completely fleshed out, with certain city walls being visible continuing between areas, sewers being a means of travel, it all fits!) all having a name and more or less strict theme. HELLO THIS IS THE TEMPLE DISTRICT, THINGS HERE ARE RELIGION THEMED.

Dogshit, DOGSHIT intro in Irenicus' dungeon. Bg1 intro is swift and tasteful, BG2 one is full of LOADS of wanky cutscenes and edgy talking. For example there's that djinn next to a pool that talks in some highly portentous manner, that is never explained or leads to anything. This game is so SHIIIIIIET

Random supermagical stuff all over the place. DOGSHIT graphics (because a BG1 artist died between games). The first time I played, hot off enjoying BG1, I quit in disgust halfway through Irenicus' dungeon because the goblin graphics were shit, the entangle spell graphic had been changed from looking like green, organic vines to gay fucking neon glowy shit (typical of BG2), fireball graphic had been downgraded, portraits had been downgraded, I started with Minsc and Jaheira despite having killed them and kept Khalid and Dynaheir in BG1. Possibly the ugliest dogshit was the shields because some animefag had added spikes onto all of them in a bid to faggotise innocent RPG players.

Also you're forced to save an Elven tree city. Being forced to save a human city was bad enough in Bg1, but dogshit hippie elves?

BG2 turned out pretty good though later on in the game.
hub based city exploration is always better than having a 'full' city because it gives the illusion of a larger city. Otherwise you have shit like Skyrim where the "capital" of the country has like 10 buildings and 20 people in it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BG1 has relaxing exploration

You keep saying this, and then the flipside when it comes to BG2:

As soon as you start walking around the city everyone is coming at you with a quest that sounds important. It's not the relaxing type of roleplaying I enjoy most.

I get burned out every time I play it.

the game is overwhelming in a number of areas

It sounds like playing Baldur's Gate is therapeutic for you, while Shadows of Amn is an emotionally taxing experience because the content is too dense and you've got too many NPCs screaming at you to immediately go in five different directions at once.

But you should probably make this point more explicitly because (at least ostensibly) most people here aren't judging CRPGs along the therapeutic/non-therapeutic axis, and, even if they were, the codex has such a wide variety of mental illnesses that no one would ever agree on what's soothing and what isn't.

Deleted Member 16721

BG1 is therapeutic in a way, but BG2 also doesn't click with me for other reasons. I don't like Athkatla compared to Baldur's Gate (city-wise), while the quests are alright the world still feels disconnected in its layout (each map essentially being a quest set piece), I prefer low level content to begin with and so on. I already stated I realize everyone has their own opinions, I started the thread title in jest because i was feeling like being silly at the time. There is no "definitive" opinion on what game is better than another one, but it did create some fun dialogue so eh, it was worth it. :)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can almost see the OP's point but BG1 suffers from the fact that it is an open ended game where, even accepting the appeal of the grounded premise/atmosphere, heightened sense of freedom, and the mechanical advantages of low level D&D, there is ultimately very little of interest to discover and the content to hiking ratio is very unfavorable.

Deleted Member 16721

Can almost see the OP's point but BG1 suffers from the fact that it is an open ended game where, even accepting the appeal of the grounded premise, the inflated sense of freedom, and atmosphere and the mechanical advantages of low level D&D, there is ultimately very little of interest to discover and the content to hiking ratio is very unfavorable.

The content to hiking ratio is fine for my tastes. I don't believe every map has to be epic nor does every map have to have some quest or 7-step long storyline. That's what separates the more interesting, deeper content from the regular stuff. In BG2's case, everything was epic and there was no room for hiking as it was loaded with content. I like in Kingmaker, which feels more like BG1 to me, how there is room for hiking around and exploring side maps, wandering into monster dens and roaming around to find new locations to play around with. Rather than have several large maps, they break it into smaller maps but there is always something interesting to fight, see or do, and it's not so content dense (although there's a ton of content) that it makes it unpleasant to play.

I don't know if I'm arguing my point well, probably not, but I still prefer BG1 over a lot of games, and definitely over BG2. It just has an atmosphere and "feel" to me that hasn't really been duplicated yet, as games from that point on started becoming more about tons of content at all times rather than hiking a bit and organically exploring. I guess that's why I like hiking simulators like Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, too, as you can just roam about and sometimes find something interesting, rather than being led from set piece to set piece. Just my 2. Thanks for all the responses people. :)

Lhynn

Arcane
8 pages thread about fluents taste and why it should be taken seriously. Hopefully this shit dies down, im done.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Games like Pathfinder Kingmaker are the definition of cult classics. Why cult classics happen?

Because they have something they are doing really well, or something that is missing from the market, yet they are not really good games. But a cult forms around them and worships them exactly because they get fixated on the few things those cult classics do really well, ignoring the things they do not, because they don't care about the things they do not...

A game like Planescape torment for example. It IS trash for 99% of the general gaming population, and has aged like milk, BUT, it features a nice story for 90s video games standards, plus it featured some C&C that was even based on your character sheet. This is something you do not get often in games so obviously some autists focused too much on that ignoring that as a game, PST, sucked to play, and it was a glorified choose your own adventure book. Naturally, the general public ignores its existence, and even the majority of CRPG gamers don't really care about it, yet there is a vocal cult that never stops pretending it is the best thing since sliced bread...

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is going to be similiar. It brings something that was missing from the market for many years. A DnD-based (i consider Pathfinder to be part of the DnD family) game that is going back to the unapologetic Infinity Engine/ToEE implementations. People were starved for this, and they value this above "minor stuff" like the game releasing in a totally broken state or the end game being rushed... I mean, it is not like Mass Effect 3 had worldwide DRAMA because of its rushed ending...

One thing to keep in mind: Autists are known to fixate on certain things and ignore others. It is what autists do. CRPGs attract a lot of autists, so...

Cael

Arcane

Games like Pathfinder Kingmaker are the definition of cult classics.
The definition of cult classic is that it has great appeal to a small group of extremely vocal fanbois.

For a business, that is not an audience you want to target.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I agree with the first statement, am neutral on the other two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom