Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG2 is overrated, not as good as BG1 and is not a top 10 CRPG

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Sail the high seas of the Deadfire Archipelago.

1524925150451.png

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

That Deadfire map looks like it would trigger my RPGOCD bad. Too many small islands to explore. Just give me big maps and I'm good.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Fuck all these games with their fucking content and gameplay, I want an isometric walking simulator with a story that rivals the complexity and brevity of a furtune cookie, please agree with me. - The thread.

Cael

Arcane
You know, all this talk of BG and BG2 makes me want to do a run of the whole saga again.

What do you guys recommend as a good class combo for the MC for a 2-member party run? It can be any class combo that is permitted by the game (I will just EEKeeper it in) plus a kit.

Also, who would make a good second member? Bear in mind I can change the class of the NPC if required, although I tend to like staying withing reason (e.g., Viconia/Branwen are always some form of cleric, and Imoen/Safana some form of thief).

Curratum

Fluent, I am pretty certain you're genuinely passionate about those retarded topics you keep making, I don't think that's baiting or trolling, which would have to make you the most retarded peon I have ever seen in here.

The depths of your stupidity are only matched by the despair in your inflammatory cries for attention.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You know, all this talk of BG and BG2 makes me want to do a run of the whole saga again.

What do you guys recommend as a good class combo for the MC for a 2-member party run? It can be any class combo that is permitted by the game (I will just EEKeeper it in) plus a kit.

Also, who would make a good second member? Bear in mind I can change the class of the NPC if required, although I tend to like staying withing reason (e.g., Viconia/Branwen are always some form of cleric, and Imoen/Safana some form of thief).

Such a personality change: from gigantic know-all to Fluent-level of friendly. Stay on the meds this time, son. Or not. You're a shitposter, either way.

Lhynn

Arcane
They are both good games that are enjoyable for different reasons.

That said, what bg2 does well very few other games do at all. What bg1 does well many games do better.

The one you like better is really up to whatever you feel like playing.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
They are both good games that are enjoyable for different reasons.

That said, what bg2 does well very few other games do at all. What bg1 does well many games do better.

The one you like better is really up to whatever you feel like playing.

Care to explain in brief what things BG2 does well and other games -supposedly- haven't surpass it?

Care to also explain what things BG1 does well but other games do better?

I have a feeling you don't know what you are talking about, prove me wrong.

Lhynn

Arcane
This has been discussed to death but alright.

BG2 does high level adventuring, does magic well, with great spell lists that allow for fairly deep caster gameplay. It also did companions well, in fact it's a template for companion design nowadays.
Thanks to modifications to take advantage of the games mechanics it has aged stupidly well.

These are all things that you don't really find one that you don't find done as well and that can carry the game for you.

BG1 does exploration, which the engine isn't really suited for. It does low level adventuring, of which plenty of games do, and do better.
Plenty of games did this before BG1 and did it better.

Games like exile, might and magic and other party based games are easily above whatever BG1s thing is.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Cael

Bring Pai'na (mod). It will surely be... Interesting. Also she's the definitive mage killer (hand in hand with Keldorn... OK, Keldy might be better).

Cael

Arcane
Cael

Bring Pai'na (mod). It will surely be... Interesting. Also she's the definitive mage killer (hand in hand with Keldorn... OK, Keldy might be better).
Can't get her in BG. BG2 might be fun, though. Have a party of 3 drow wandering around the place for shits and giggles.

Deleted Member 16721

Infinity Engine/BG1 isn't suited for exploration? Say what??? What you talkin' bout Willis.

Lord Andre

Arcane
BG2 does encounter design and itemization better than any other CRPG to date.

Isometric games that have their game world split into rectangular maps are not suited for exploration because exploration boils down to erasing the fog of war from the map and pixel hunting for interaction triggers.

Any other questions?

Thal

Prophet
I miss the large open maps from BG1, even in Kingmaker. The player does not need to be funneled to content every other step, nor do maps need to only be as big relative to the amount of stuff on them. In a sense they do, but exploring in BG1 is fun because it's relaxed and you aren't sure what's around each corner, but a lot of times you're traveling in wilderness. I want an iso CRPG that brings that back. We don't need quests every 100 feet, but a few enemy encounters and dipping into the bestiary on a large map is just fine. Maybe a tattered journal to find and some environmental storytelling, etc.. Give us a chance to relax and get lost traveling a bit, drink a brewski or hot cocoa and enjoy the large scale journey more. I do love Kingmaker but I wish it had some larger maps, although it has so many small ones it all adds up to a ton of content and combat encounters anyway.

Absolutely correct, except with one regard. BG 1 challenge level is set for newbies on their first playthrough, playing unoptimized charnames and who don't know where the goodies and best party members lie. Most of the enemies are first level monsters who differ primarily in appearance with the odd spawn of Hobgoblin elites with poisoned arrows (who are absolutely deadly to newbies), etc. For these people, the experience is drastically different, since wilderness areas work as intended, they drain resources and resting is dangerous. You aren't fighting the party of gnolls, you are fighting the map, which is exactly how it should be. For a newbie with a level 1-2 party, the trek to Gnoll stronghold and back is a serious challenge, the same with Nashkel mines.

Once you know how to game it though, it's just trash mobs. For this reason, I believe BG 1 isn't that highly regarded anymore. Durlag's tower is possibly the only adventure in the game that is balanced for experts. It even has respawning dangerous enemies to enforce scarcity. In any case, SCS is a necessity, but even that one doesn't go far enough. They should redesign the whole game now, instead of just the chosen set pieces, in order to preserve the original intent of the wilderness areas. Thieves, who use invisibility potions, mages,, druids with call lightning, etc. Suddenly you have to start thinking again, just like with your first playthrough.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Could you stop trying to bring real arguments with fluent? I mean, it is good and all. But fluent did not even finish BG2. He dropped it because "too many spells".

That's why he thinks BG1 is better.

Lhynn

Arcane
Infinity Engine/BG1 isn't suited for exploration? Say what??? What you talkin' bout Willis.
Exactly that.

It sucks for exploration. It's an RTS engine and exploration comes down to uncovering fog of war, that's it.

It presents no tools to explore either, just a bunch of encounters spread around a small map.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Cael

Can't get her in BG. BG2 might be fun, though. Have a party of 3 drow wandering around the place for shits and giggles.

You can go BG1EE and add Baeloth

:positive:

Oh, and instead of Pai'na, you can bring Solaufein in BG2 for extra Eilistraee edginess

Theldaran

Liturgist
Exactly that.

It sucks for exploration. It's an RTS engine and exploration comes down to uncovering fog of war, that's it.

It presents no tools to explore either, just a bunch of encounters spread around a small map.

Well, depends on your take. Isn't a constant fear of the unknown -back in 1998- and venturing into uncharted areas you can't even see exploration in a sense?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom