Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware strikes back: Revenge of the shit

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
wait, star wars is serious literature?

I thought it was fun pulp space opera lite

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
sgc_meltdown said:
oh jesus I thought of something

twilight mmo

it would into millions

fuck what have I done

How... they can't all compete for edward... can they? The air pulling would be epic.

I know - instantiate a edward, and a (whatever the name of the other guy).
Then get a small collection, say 3-4 females and have them fight it out somehow. Maybe with the current champion trying to maintain her flesh "throne".

Oh god, i see the future.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Ed123 said:
Harold Bloom

LBtQR.jpg

I hope it was for reasons other than their literary pioneerism

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Mangoose said:
EA to Bioware: "Greg, please tell the fans that we don't tell you what to do. Thanks."

oh man that interview is rife with point blank bullshit

"At the end of the day, we're responsible for the quality of the content and games we release, and we're committed to try and always take feedback really seriously from our fans and be humble about how we take it - use it to make the next games better," Ray Muzyka added.

"You're only as good as your next game, and that's the way we've always felt. That's still very much a philosophy at BioWare; quality in our products and delivering each game and exceeding expectations and always trying to delight and surprise our consumers. That's still what we try and do."

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
"At the end of the day, we're responsible for the quality of the content and games we release, and we're committed to try and always take feedback really seriously from our fans and be humble about how we take it - use it to make the next games better," Ray Muzyka added.

"You're only as good as your next game, and that's the way we've always felt. That's still very much a philosophy at BioWare; quality in our products and delivering each game and exceeding expectations and always trying to delight and surprise our consumers. That's still what we try and do."
I bet he was wearing a Baldur's Gate 2 hat, a KOTOR shirt and while holding a "WE MADE NEVERWINTER NIGHTS" sign during that interview.

Stinger

Arcane
Roguey you didn't quote the most important part:

Let’s look at the Farfalla character from the Bane novels. In the comic he is a Satyr-like character with goat legs. In the novel, I never mention goat legs. I don’t specifically say he has human legs, but most readers would probably make that assumption. So why did I do that? Simple – for the story I was telling, Farfalla represented the “normal” Jedi; his goat legs made it harder to see him in that role. So I intentionally omitted that aspect of his character so as not to undermine the experience of the novel. That doesn’t mean I was trying to retcon what had come before; just because I don’t draw attention to it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist or that it never happened. It just means it isn’t integral to understanding the story I am telling. If you already know about the goat legs, then I don’t need to tell you. If you don’t know, there’s no reason to mention it now and muddle things up. Same thing with the Revan novel. There are past events or elements/aspects of certain characters that I do not specifically call attention to or dwell on because they are not part of this story… they belong in the Sith Lords’ story. But just because I don’t go out of my way to mention something specifically doesn’t mean I’m retconning it. If you’re familiar with a character or event, you already know that information and I don’t need to bring it up unless it’s relevant to the current story.

But you still depowered her and killed her off anticlimatically. And you still ignored the fact that Nihilus had the same powers as the Sith Emperor and ignored the drawbacks that he had with it (i.e. completely submitting himself to the Force and becoming a mindless beast) and thus you missed the entire point of his character. But I suppose your AWESUM SITH EMPEROR shouldn't have any flaws at all.

I’ll admit, I didn’t consult with the Obsidian writers before including the Exile in the novel. They didn’t consult with me before including Canderous and HK-47 in KOTOR 2. And I didn’t expect them to – that’s not how it works, and it would be virtually impossible to get anything done in the Star Wars universe if it did. Too many projects, too many contributors.

Here’s how it does work: Obsidian doesn’t own the Exile. Neither do I. Lucas (the corporation) does – she’s a part of Star Wars. My only options were to bring her into the fold by doing as much research as possible and doing my best to give a fair and accurate representation of her in the novel, or to ignore her completely and pretend she never existed. I think option A is far more preferable (and more respectful) than option B.

When Obsidian used Canderous and HK-47 they kept the characters completely faithful to the original, they also made them a hell of a lot more interesting. HK-47's best lines are all from Kotor 2. THAT'S NOT A GOOD EXAMPLE. AND HOW IS THE EXILE PRESENTED AS ACCURATE. SHE HAS NONE OF HER OLD POWERS. GOD DAMN IT AKJSDHJKSAHDJSAHDK

:x

Fuck the Star Wars canon.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
sea said:
There has to be some sort of rule where you're not allowed to call yourself a writer if your subject matter consists primarily of spin-offs of existing media franchises.
Agreed, Avellone's no writer.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
And here I used to think Bioware was a half-decent company. God I'm such an idiot and a tool. Codex, please forgive my sins.

SCO said:
sgc_meltdown said:
oh jesus I thought of something

twilight mmo

it would into millions

fuck what have I done

How... they can't all compete for edward... can they? The air pulling would be epic.

Have players choose between playing as a vampire or a werewolf so they can kill each other freely, but let each player choose their own face photo so it will be used as the Bella NPC's face texture, Max Payne style. It would be client sided so each player would see their own Bella. Everyone can romance Edward, even though no one is paying as her - Bella would keep her canonical function, that of being a self-insert template.

...hey, I could be a suit.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane

what mmos need is instanced romance options or romance raids where once the target is completely seduced by the 120 women strong party he drops for one of them as a partner

just like epic gear top tier partners like these will confer the most prestige for characters

who's going to be impressed by your farmherd or blacksmith companion when they have a sparkling half demon vampire prince which is also the only model to have two heterochromic dreamy eyes that glow in the moonlight

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Roguey said:
sea said:
There has to be some sort of rule where you're not allowed to call yourself a writer if your subject matter consists primarily of spin-offs of existing media franchises.
Agreed, Avellone's no writer.
No shit, Sherlock. He hasn't even attempted to write a novel yet.

Deleted member 7219

MCA doesn't need to justify himself to you peasants, but I do think he needs a chance at an original IP. Fearqus Urquhart is the guy who can make this happen, he calls the shots at Obsidian.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Is a writer judged by the so-called quality of his works? Or his he judged by the number of works he has published? Is he known as a writer because he furthers intellectual pursuits, or because he expands one's mind to new realities?

Or is being a writer more of a mindset, a way of life, a consciousness that gives way to the outpouring of expressions through words on paper?

Words are so damned useless when it comes to the details.

Erzherzog

Magister
Matt7895 said:
MCA doesn't need to justify himself to you peasants, but I do think he needs a chance at an original IP. Fearqus Urquhart is the guy who can make this happen, he calls the shots at Obsidian.

Err, Alpha Protocol? An altogether uninspired game?

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Matt7895 said:

I believe he made a comic about Nihilus and Visas from K2 (Unseen, Unheard)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
He's written several Star Wars comics, his KOTOR comics are supposed to be pretty good. He also wrote the comic for New Vegas (All Roads).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All of Avellone's comics are boring crap, each and every one of them. He can only thrive in the creatively bankrupt media of video games, any other shows how lackluster he really is.

Mangoose said:
No shit, Sherlock. He hasn't even attempted to write a novel yet.
So only novelists can be writers and absolutely no one else? Good to know all other media doesn't count. If I ever meet a playwright I'll shout "Liar!" at him or her.

Stinger

Arcane
He's a video game writer. His writing works so well cause it's integrated into the mechanics and map design and so on (and he's one of the few who attempts this in games which is probably why he's also one of, if not the, best VG writers around).

I wouldn't call him a lackluster writer cause his tie in comics aren't great, just as I wouldn't call a Film script writer a terrible writer because he doesn't write Prose very well.

Now on the other hand, Drew Krapyshitn calls himself a novelist and writes awful spin off garbage with terrible, neutered prose (see the Exile's death scene for just how awful he is). So not only is he not respectful to the canon of previous writers (unlike Avellone who reused Kotor characters in a very respectful way) thus making him terrible at his actual job (writing spin off novels within a singular canon) but he's awful at the actual writing as well. So fuck him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom