Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Myth: Wu Kong - a.k.a. "Sekiro 2: now YOU are the monkey" - coming August 20th

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Oh, another anti DEI company? Only one simple answer to this - game preordered.
Next game will use SBI services.

:happytrollboy:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Goddamn I wanna support this but it's such a mystery box, could be great, could be a total bug-ridden garbage.

The moment it comes out and the average rating is at least 7/10 I'm buying it tho, full price.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Goddamn I wanna support this but it's such a mystery box, could be great, could be a total bug-ridden garbage.

The moment it comes out and the average rating is at least 7/10 I'm buying it tho, full price.
Can't be any worse than lords of the fallen

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

And if it is you can make a couple of Steam threads about how there's too many enemies and they hit too hard and I'm sure they'll nerf it too.

jaekl

Learned
Patron

And if it is you can make a couple of Steam threads about how there's too many enemies and they hit too hard and I'm sure they'll nerf it too.
That was the least of its problems. I'd have to make a steam thread that just said "delete everything and start over." Do you think it'll work??

cruel

Cipher

2h return window on Steam comes to the rescue in cases like this, so zero risk basically. If it's buggy as hell or performance is shit, it should be clearly detectable on those first 2h I guess.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Doesn't say much of substance. Skill system is like Sekiro, you have a skill tree and you can unlock stances that have special attacks and stuff like that. Some of the special attacks are unlocked after beating certain bosses, where you get to use their special moves. There's no block (except on some rare cases, like deflecting arrows and stuff like that), it's all about dodging. Some of the timings seem to be similar to Sekiro dodging (where you slide instead of doing a roll), but there's a lot of roll-fu stuff as well.

And that's about it i think. I assume the footage is new so that's likely the only thing of note in that "preview". There's like a giant babby boss with a lot of ghostly ads and then some kind of staff wielding wolf guy with a twitchy move set that requires some precising timings.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

There's no block (except on some rare cases, like deflecting arrows and stuff like that), it's all about dodging.
Oooohhh? So no parry either? That's VERY surprising. Not sure I like it, then again Nioh does have parry but nobody is using it since it's retarded and I love Nioh so we'll see.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Keep in mind the preview doesn't SHOW the skill tree it just talks about it over footage of the monke fighting bosses, so it could be EXACTLY like Nioh for all we know.

Also, the preview is about the part of the game they got to play. Since you unlock skills or attacks by leveling or defeating bosses, it's possible you may learn blocking down the line. That said, all the footage i've seen so far seems to involve dodging most of the time.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Previews are saying there's little to no exploration. Just narrow pathways that lead from boss to boss with minor branching. Really hope this isn't the case for the entire game, cause it'll pretty much ruin it for me. I'm not interested in a boss rush game.

Spike

Educated
Previews are saying there's little to no exploration. Just narrow pathways that lead from boss to boss with minor branching. Really hope this isn't the case for the entire game, cause it'll pretty much ruin it for me. I'm not interested in a boss rush game.
Wouldn't bother me but it would certainly be nicer to have some exploraysh.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Is there a predecent for a linear game of this type where it's just a series of boss fights and nothing else? Because Nioh had a few nice maps and i just assume the same applies to most games that are following on the stead of Souls in some form.

Also, the preview is based on the demo, not the whole game. Could just be the early part that is super linear but maybe that's copium talking.

ind33d

Learned
This is certainly taking a turn.

The situation with Black Myth: Wukong is disgusting. They cite IGN and consulting companies such as SBI as part of a shakedown racket of 7 MILLION in fees. Here's how it all works, as SBI Founder Kim Belair explains:

"If they don't see the value of what you're asking for, for when you ask for consultants...and just terrify them with the possibility of what's going to happen if they don't give you what you want."

Here is the whole web of people who support each other and make this shakedown happen:

Sweet Baby Inc. - "Hire us or else."

Reporters - Support the racket by writing hit piece articles, and run defense for the consulting companies. Play down the racket as a conspiracy theory.

Alyssa Mercante - Writes hit piece on @kabrutusrambo for exposing Sweet Baby's long list of ruined games.

Rebekah Valentine - Defends Alyssa and writes hit piece article on Wukong, leading to the shakedown.

Jason Schreier - Gaslights you when it is all exposed, saying it's a "Hallucination" and isn't happening.

It sure seems like its all part of a multi-million dollar racket. In fact, DEI and DEI consulting is a HUGE industry (see my post about the Activision Blizzard report). They call us Grifters but they are the ones making bank.

Wukong directly cites the @IGN hit piece article by Rebekah Valentine, as well as companies similar to Sweet Baby Inc, as being behind the 7 Million dollar extortion attempt.

Remember, kids - can't have attractive women in your games.

this is exactly literally the practice of the church selling indulgences but worse because the vatican is pretending to be "Science"

Spike

Educated
This is certainly taking a turn.

The situation with Black Myth: Wukong is disgusting. They cite IGN and consulting companies such as SBI as part of a shakedown racket of 7 MILLION in fees. Here's how it all works, as SBI Founder Kim Belair explains:

"If they don't see the value of what you're asking for, for when you ask for consultants...and just terrify them with the possibility of what's going to happen if they don't give you what you want."

Here is the whole web of people who support each other and make this shakedown happen:

Sweet Baby Inc. - "Hire us or else."

Reporters - Support the racket by writing hit piece articles, and run defense for the consulting companies. Play down the racket as a conspiracy theory.

Alyssa Mercante - Writes hit piece on @kabrutusrambo for exposing Sweet Baby's long list of ruined games.

Rebekah Valentine - Defends Alyssa and writes hit piece article on Wukong, leading to the shakedown.

Jason Schreier - Gaslights you when it is all exposed, saying it's a "Hallucination" and isn't happening.

It sure seems like its all part of a multi-million dollar racket. In fact, DEI and DEI consulting is a HUGE industry (see my post about the Activision Blizzard report). They call us Grifters but they are the ones making bank.

Wukong directly cites the @IGN hit piece article by Rebekah Valentine, as well as companies similar to Sweet Baby Inc, as being behind the 7 Million dollar extortion attempt.

Remember, kids - can't have attractive women in your games.

this is exactly literally the practice of the church selling indulgences but worse because the vatican is pretending to be "Science"

Acckkkshhhuuuallllyyyyy..........

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What was this marketed as? I heard it's basically a boss rush, which will probably upset a lot of people.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know how true the boss rush thing is, but it would be faithful to the actual story.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
This lack of exploration is based on the 2 hour demo that these people were able to play. Who knows if that is representative of the whole game. You'd think if exploration was something the developers valued, they'd have showcased it in their demo though.

It's fine if people like this kind of thing, but I prefer rewarding and interesting exploration in my action-RPGs and attention payed to encounter design found during said exploration. Boss fights will always be secondary for me. Guess we'll see once the game is out proper. Really hope the demo isn't indicative of the entire experience, because I love Journey to the West, the overall aesthetic they've landed on with this, and Chinese games in general. I would like for it to be something I can be excited about.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's fine if people like this kind of thing
A lot of them do, yeah. I think Lies of P's popularity is mostly due to the game not annoying players with large, confusing levels and instead steering them safely and in a relatively linear fashion from one boss to another.

Conversely people have been quite frustrated by the intricate, baroque level design of Lords of the Fallen, where you can even, gasp, "get lost" sometimes.

I guess it was inevitable the genre was gonna get progressively simpler and dumbed down as it evolved from a niche connoisseur delicacy to a mass-market phenomenon.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
I think Lies of P's popularity is mostly due to the game not annoying players with large, confusing levels and instead steering them safely and in a relatively linear fashion from one boss to another.
Yeah, Lies of P was borderline for me. There was still enough going on with the level and encounter design that I didn't feel like I was simply being funneled through a boss rush, but it was skirting dangerously close to being that, and it really diminished my overall enjoyment by the end. It's incredibly disheartening to read so many overwhelming complaints about "getting lost" in these types of games, because, well, that's FUN. Developers shouldn't be discouraged to craft their worlds like the Lords of the Fallen devs did. That was a huge part of why I loved that game so much, and I still feel like they could have taken it even further.

Spike

Educated
I think Lies of P's popularity is mostly due to the game not annoying players with large, confusing levels and instead steering them safely and in a relatively linear fashion from one boss to another.
Yeah, Lies of P was borderline for me. There was still enough going on with the level and encounter design that I didn't feel like I was simply being funneled through a boss rush, but it was skirting dangerously close to being that, and it really diminished my overall enjoyment by the end. It's incredibly disheartening to read so many overwhelming complaints about "getting lost" in these types of games, because, well, that's FUN. Developers shouldn't be discouraged to craft their worlds like the Lords of the Fallen devs did. That was a huge part of why I loved that game so much, and I still feel like they could have taken it even further.
Yeah, that is probably what I am most excited to play Lords of the Fallen for. Funny enough, every other soulslike and soulsgame does not even come close to the complexity of old dungeon crawlers, even notably From's own King's Field series, especially IV. What would these people do if they played a game like that?

DUDE IT'S LIKE REALLY HARD, LIKE EXPECT A SUPER HARD OLD-SCHOOL EXPERIENCE.

I'm irritated now and it's all my own fault. I would not worry about 2 games being the harbinger of decline in terms of map complexity/size., though. The ching chong devs are making the game they want to make, as did the Lies of P devs. I still am waiting for a soulslike game with the map density/complexity of a true dungeon crawler, a la King's Field IV or Ultima Underworld, et al.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom