Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Piotrovitz

Savant
Finally beat those dorfs, took maybe three or four attempts.

So far it seems like the magic system is similar to majority of cRPGs, i.e DD spells are shit, buffs/debuffs are king.

V_K

Arcane
So far it seems like the magic system is similar to majority of cRPGs, i.e DD spells are shit, buffs/debuffs are king.
Typically, it's even more so in TDE in general. I think BG actually upped the usefulness of damage spells. In Realms of Arkania, e.g., you would barely ever use them.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yeah, it's way worse here, for example, some damage spells gets AoE at some level, starting with a cone radius.

Yet, that cone radius (D&D burning hands style) is stopped by any fucking pebble on its way, it's just retarded, like a 20 centimeters height difference would stop it...

Still a good game in spite of this but really, what were they thinking?

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So first of all, why the fuck have I waited so long to play this. Jesus christ this game is good.

In chapter 2 now and I summon the hivemind for a few tips:

1) Everything but basic bitch mobs are dodging/parrying quite often, what's the best way to deal with that? Manual says Courage and Agility are the determinant attributes for Base Attack but raising attributes is very expensive at the start, is it better to pump weapon talents first? Is there a hit-chance buff spell in the game?

2) Spell fizzle pissing me off. Maybe I'm blind but there's nothing about the fizzle mechanics in the manual and I just can't into this shit so much. Any way to curtail this annoying effect?

3) Hit chance percentage you can see when mousing over a mob seems wonky. Does is include all the modifiers? I'm missing a suspiciously large number of 60-70% hits and I think it's related to enemy resistances that I can't see (yet?).

4) What's the general lay of the land levelling-wise? Attributes first or weapon talents or special talents or something else?

5) Blackguards 2 are a single buck on Steam rn. Should I buy? Rox wasn't so cheery about it, is it really such a decline? I can get over some decline since I really love this formula but not too much.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
So first of all, why the fuck have I waited so long to play this. Jesus christ this game is good.

In chapter 2 now and I summon the hivemind for a few tips:

1) Everything but basic bitch mobs are dodging/parrying quite often, what's the best way to deal with that? Manual says Courage and Agility are the determinant attributes for Base Attack but raising attributes is very expensive at the start, is it better to pump weapon talents first? Is there a hit-chance buff spell in the game?
Weapon skill is the first thing you should max imo. There is a hit chance buff spell for both melee and ranged but you don't get access to the teacher until chapter 3 IIRC.

2) Spell fizzle pissing me off. Maybe I'm blind but there's nothing about the fizzle mechanics in the manual and I just can't into this shit so much. Any way to curtail this annoying effect?
You either raise the spell level or get the special ability that reduces the chances of fizzle, it's got pretty steep attribute requirements though.

3) Hit chance percentage you can see when mousing over a mob seems wonky. Does is include all the modifiers? I'm missing a suspiciously large number of 60-70% hits and I think it's related to enemy resistances that I can't see (yet?).
That's been my experience as well. I can't tell you how many times I've had 3-4 missed attacks one after the other with 80% hit chance. It prolly has something to do with the parry system. Focus your melee/ranged attacks on one target I guess.

4) What's the general lay of the land levelling-wise? Attributes first or weapon talents or special talents or something else?
Weapon talents definitely. I played the game saving AP and spending it only when I absolutely needed to. Long story short pure warriors by the end game have so much AP you can actually max out 2 or more weapon skills along with phys attributes and weapon abilities.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
5) Blackguards 2 are a single buck on Steam rn. Should I buy? Rox wasn't so cheery about it, is it really such a decline? I can get over some decline since I really love this formula but not too much.

Blackguard 2 is a disappointment.

That being said, buy it and check it out for yourself.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Just buy it but don't play it right after Blackguards 1.
It's not as good as the original but still worth playing once if you really liked the first.

It's a shame they couldn't improve the formula, would have been epic.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jesus christ Chapter 2 sucks big hairy balls.

P.S. I just realized I picked the wrong chars for the 2nd gladiator fight and the game already autosaved after the 1st fight and my closest quicksave is all the way back in Chapter 1 before the big annoying fights with lizard dudes.

Dear developers, choke on my big fat dick you fucking cretins.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Blaggards 2 is shit, couldnt stomach a single mission. Just play the first one, which is pretty lenghty, then move on to something else.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

why do you lie

I just realized I picked the wrong chars for the 2nd gladiator fight and the game already autosaved after the 1st fight and my closest quicksave is all the way back in Chapter 1 before the big annoying fights with lizard dudes.

Dear developers, kiss my fucking arse.

ah, that's why

save early, save often

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I haven't even finished it, and the original was my Game of the Decade. Should tell you everything about how terrible it is.

Blaggards 2 is shit, couldnt stomach a single mission. Just play the first one, which is pretty lenghty, then move on to something else.

That's your mistake, if you can endure it for a couple of hours, it grows on you.

What's with the BG2 apologists coming out of the woodwork. Begone ye fools

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

why do you lie

I just realized I picked the wrong chars for the 2nd gladiator fight and the game already autosaved after the 1st fight and my closest quicksave is all the way back in Chapter 1 before the big annoying fights with lizard dudes.

Dear developers, kiss my fucking arse.

ah, that's why

save early, save often

Tbf the game is p. b0rken like that. But yes

RPK

Scholar
bought this game for like a dollar last night after seeing this thread get bumped. having lots of fun so far!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
OMG now I understand the hate for B2. I could get over the whole new "a gimmick for every fight" schtick, if the game didn't force me to "outwit" the battles in the most annoying, frustrating and unfun ways imaginable, usually running from mobs, avoiding them or pressing levers in awkward places. What is this gimmicky, gamey nonsense? Just give us normal, good ol' fashined turn based fighting for chrissake.

Got as far as the fight with the dozen trees and the druid in the swamp and uninstalled shortly after. Christ on a bike, good thing I bought this for like a dollar.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OMG now I understand the hate for B2. I could get over the whole new "a gimmick for every fight" schtick, if the game didn't force me to "outwit" the battles in the most annoying, frustrating and unfun ways imaginable, usually running from mobs, avoiding them or pressing levers in awkward places. What is this gimmicky, gamey nonsense? Just give us normal, good ol' fashined turn based fighting for chrissake.

Got as far as the fight with the dozen trees and the druid in the swamp and uninstalled shortly after. Christ on a bike, good thing I bought this for like a dollar.
I lasted 18 hours. Most of it was me forcing myself to keep going. Then, I just had enough and unistalled the game. I wanted to like it, I really did. Alas, that never happened.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

That's not even why the game is bad. Once you start noticing the blatant copy-pasta and repetition, you'll understand. It's a pretty unimaginative cashgrab, which stands in stark contrast to the first game which despite all its shortcomings is held together primarily by the sheer creativity of many combat scenarios (barring the weaker, later chapters which still have a few good fights)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom