Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bleak Faith: Forsaken - third-person open world survival horror action RPG

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mostly agree, but Surge isn't that bad and Surge 2 is pretty good.
Haven't played Surge 2 but I found the rest of that dev's work to be less than mediocre. The only positive thing I will say about Lords of the Fallen is that it's main menu theme song is dope. Everything else is omg horrible.
Lords of the Fallen is pretty horrible, it's true. I'll be curious to see if the remake is actually worthwhile since it really is a complete remake, I think.

Skdursh

Savant
Haven't played Surge 2 but I found the rest of that dev's work to be less than mediocre. The only positive thing I will say about Lords of the Fallen is that it's main menu theme song is dope. Everything else is omg horrible.
Surge 2 was decent. Not extraordinary, but better than most other souls-like offerings of the time. I'd even tentatively recommend it. Definitely not the first one though.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Surge 2 was decent. Not extraordinary, but better than most other souls-like offerings of the time. I'd even tentatively recommend it. Definitely not the first one though.
Yeah, I'd agree with this. I've seen a few people who actually like the first or prefer it, but they're in the minority for sure.

Jinn

Arcane
Not always the biggest fan of this guys opinions, but he can usually give a good rundown of mechanics and systems, and that's entirely what this video is about. It's about as much insight into what this game actually is that you can find anywhere right now.

Really like everything I'm hearing, except for a minor negative mark on equipment-based progression. I like equipment-based progression well enough, but always would prefer basic level-based character progression to be a part of it as well.

Perkel

Arcane
Just got to know it exists. Looks great imho. IDK why but it reminds me first demon's souls. Similar kind of vibe + mutants.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
So is anybody getting this tomorrow? I might if I have some spare cash. Seems like a good reason to put my steam dick to use.
It would be great to see some gameplay videos from you

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
So is anybody getting this tomorrow? I might if I have some spare cash. Seems like a good reason to put my steam dick to use.
It would be great to see some gameplay videos from you
I don't know how I would record myself playing steam deck.

Here's the first review - https://www.distractify.com/p/bleak-faith-forsaken-review

I'll skip it if others have similar complaints.
This reviewer says the controls are fine once you get used to them. He says the controls feel different from what he's used to in Souls games. The technical issues don't sound too difficult to fix. Since the develeopers said they will continue to release patches I hope they will be corrected soon. I'm going to wait a while to get more information about the game.

Jinn

Arcane
I will likely be getting this tomorrow. Been watching it for pretty much 4 years, and it looks better than I imagined it could have, especially from such a small team. This is the kind of passionate game development I like to support. It's going to be reasonably priced at $30 with a possible release discount from the sounds of it.

Can't remember where, but the developers explicitly stated that while there's definitely inspiration from Dark Souls, they do not see the game as a souls-like and have urged players to be ready for a different type of experience. I think this is evident just from watching a little gameplay footage, but "gamers" have a hard time looking beyond the most superficial these days. Action-RPGs existed prior to Demon's Souls, after all.

On another note, the game was designed with mouse and keyboard in mind first and foremost. They'll get gamepad support working great at some point I'm sure, but it was second priority. This is a PC game.

Last edited:

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Watched a couple more videos and yeah I'm sold. This game has some kind of panache that other Soulslikes just don't have. Not even the Nioh games. Can't quite put my finger on it but I dig the style. It seems different.

polo

Magister
Im probably buying this if its not too overpriced, been waiting for some years to try it. Hope it delivers.

randir14

Augur
The movement in this game is horrendous, it's like you're on ice skates and the slightest bump into anything will send you flying off a ledge to your death.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
How does dodging feel? I heard you don't get i-frames. Are hitboxes precise enough? Many of the mechanics I've seen look deeply based, but how do they feel in practice?

randir14

Augur
So what actually happens when you die? Traditional checkpoint system?
There's these floating orange humanoid figures that act like bonfires in Dark Souls, you respawn there and can teleport between them.
But you don't "lose" anything when this happens?
I can't even tell, the UI is so cluttered and confusing. There's a number that shows up in the top left corner after I die but I don't know what it means, and people on the Steam forum said there's no death penalty.

Jinn

Arcane
How does dodging feel? I heard you don't get i-frames. Are hitboxes precise enough? Many of the mechanics I've seen look deeply based, but how do they feel in practice?

Dodging feels fine so far (2 hours in). It just requires the player to focus more on positioning and being aware of their surroundings, rather than relying on split-second twitch skills the majority of the time.

This game is going to feel very awkward to people at first, and definitely defy commonly accepted expectations. And that's what's throwing a lot of players off and making them frustrated quickly. You actually have to get a feel for the combat in general, and start to learn how it operates. This is a huge strength in my book, whereas the common player will view it as a great weakness. It's why you see a lot of comments about how clunky and delayed their inputs are. It's because they're ignoring what the game teaches them in the beginning about combos. I will say that the parrying is genuinely awkward, just because it's not always evident at what part of the enemy's attack animation to hit the button. After fighting an enemy type a few times, you start to learn pretty quickly with a little experimentation though.

Another notable positive I found was that enemies will react fairly quickly to your positioning before committing to their own combos, which is a nice way to keep the battles feeling dynamic.

Really enjoying it so far. The game is going to catch a lot of flack, but I think anyone who sticks with it for more than an hour or two is going to start seeing how the game actually works, and what it starts to do well. There are minor bugs I've noticed, and the movement does feel a little strange at first, but none of it has been more than a minor annoyance to me.

So what actually happens when you die? Traditional checkpoint system?
There's these floating orange humanoid figures that act like bonfires in Dark Souls, you respawn there and can teleport between them.
But you don't "lose" anything when this happens?
I can't even tell, the UI is so cluttered and confusing. There's a number that shows up in the top left corner after I die but I don't know what it means, and people on the Steam forum said there's no death penalty.

It's not that hard to tell that you don't lose anything after you die a couple of times. It should also become quickly apparent that checkpoints are not common, so what you're losing more than anything is time. This would be more of a problem if there weren't so many branching paths to immediately explore, so each time you die is an opportunity to decide whether you're going to continue to pursue the path you were going down, or to check out another and come back to your original once you're more comfortable. Exploration has already been pretty impressive.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom