Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Bleak Faith: Forsaken - third-person open world survival horror action RPG

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I watched a video and seems like you don't have char stats, you have only "gear stats". Is this truth? Why so many devs love to kill char identity for stat stickye itemization?

Jinn

Arcane
I watched a video and seems like you don't have char stats, you have only "gear stats". Is this truth? Why so many devs love to kill char identity for stat stickye itemization?

I agree that this is usually not my favorite approach to character building, but they've done an interesting thing with it here from what I can tell so far. Equipment sets - and the mixing and matching of them - essentially operate as your classes in this. You can upgrade your equipment throughout the game, essentially serving as "leveling up" your class or class combination of choice. So your "experience" points are often abstractly rewarded through your exploration, thus giving you more tools to build your "class."

On top of that there are perks and abilities you gain through defeating bosses (and maybe something else I haven't seen yet?). Again, I'd probably prefer the game to have a base character progression system in work beyond this, but from what I can see they've done well with the choice they've landed on.

And, Cryomancer, I don't know what this game is going to offer to your intense mage fetishism. I haven't seen much in the way of spells yet, but I haven't really been looking that hard. Might not be the game for you.

Jinn

Arcane
Addendum to what I was saying about the save system. There is a mechanic introduced once you reach the main hub area, where you can essentially place a single respawn area (homunculus) between your last checkpoint and the next one you find when you're venturing out into new territory. There are loose rules as to where you can set and re-set it along your way. Seems like a pretty good compromise between a hard checkpoint system and a save anywhere system. I like it so far. Will have to see how it continues to work.

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned
Th game is filled with stolen assets

That is fake news. What actually happened was they legally purchased the stolen assets from Epic Marketplace.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...elden-ring-animations-developers-respond/amp/
The person they bought the asstes from is known for selling stolen assets, he already had itens delisted due to this. They created a carbon copy of the abyss watchers with the stolen animation. The reviews in the unreal page of the animations they bought mention the fact they are stolen from the dark souls games. There is one they used literally saying its riped from bloodborne in the unreal store page. People are finding even more stolen animations as they progress through the game. Even if they bought the stolen assets they need to remove them asap or bandai will rip them a new one.

Imho they knew the assets were stolen and are running cover and using plausible deniability to try and claim innocence. They didnt expect people to find it and imagined they could get away with it. FFs the devs are supoosed to be huge souls fans, it took me 5 seconds to notice something was wrong.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Th game is filled with stolen assets

That is fake news. What actually happened was they legally purchased the stolen assets from Epic Marketplace.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...elden-ring-animations-developers-respond/amp/
The person they bought the asstes from is known for selling stolen assets, he already had itens delisted due to this. They created a carbon copy of the abyss watchers with the stolen animation. The reviews in the unreal page of the animations they bought mention the fact they are stolen from the dark souls games. There is one they used literally saying its riped from bloodborne in the unreal store page. People are finding even more stolen animations as they progress through the game. Even if they bought the stolen assets they need to remove them asap or bandai will rip them a new one.

Imho they knew the assets were stolen and are running cover and using plausible deniability to try and claim innocence. They didnt expect people to find it and imagined they could get away with it. FFs the devs are supoosed to be huge souls fans, it took me 5 seconds to notice something was wrong.
Not sure why people are still interested in this. The promo trailer stuff looked cool, but since release, all I've been seeing are weirdly coloured characters with terrible clipping and unaligned stances, sinking into the terrain, etc. and UI elements that look like they did an asset rip of Redaxium.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Hope this will teach them to steal from good games instead of becoming a real life "X = meh soyjak vs. X, but from japan = happy soyjak" meme.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
-looks around the thread-

Whelp, this is going off to a great start.

1678642798951.jpeg

But the asset store selling stolen assets is especially worrying. You'd be surprised how many asset stores don't check that and their only security measure is trusting their users to be honest. Lol.

People steal entire games and put them on Steam. It's a shitty world sometimes.

Zlaja

Arcane
I'd need to try a demo. The common theme with all these low budget Souls clones is the combat in them feels terrible. Mortal Shell, Lords of the Fallen, The Surge, they all play like sloppy dogshit.

All those games have a more fluid combat and better animations than this game. Which says a LOT.

So is anybody getting this tomorrow? I might if I have some spare cash. Seems like a good reason to put my steam dick to use.
It would be great to see some gameplay videos from you
I don't know how I would record myself playing steam deck.

Here's the first review - https://www.distractify.com/p/bleak-faith-forsaken-review

I'll skip it if others have similar complaints.
This reviewer says the controls are fine once you get used to them. He says the controls feel different from what he's used to in Souls games. The technical issues don't sound too difficult to fix. Since the develeopers said they will continue to release patches I hope they will be corrected soon. I'm going to wait a while to get more information about the game.

My God, this review is just the purest definition of "this is a budget indie game with decent art style, so that's why I'm gonna pretend it's a good game".

I watched a stream of this game for around 2 hours and the combat looks mega stiff. I don't usually like whining about the quality of animations, but this game really suffers for it. And the game also feels "floaty", when jumping and moving.

And then we have the UI, which is just terrible ugly. Looks downright amateurish. And the music is all over the place. I heard some guitar riffs at times that felt really out of place and distracting (I love metal btw). Finally, the game's take on "builds" is just swapping different types of gear you found that totally alter your stats. Zero replay value.

Jinn

Arcane
Jinn tell me more positive things about this game. My faith in it is becoming bleak.

Don't buy it if you can't tell from gameplay footage and what I've said so far that you'll like it. After 6 hours, I'm still having a great time, with exploration, atmosphere, art direction, and combat being the best aspects in that order. I'm someone who is more willing to forgive minor annoyances and lack of polish if I see a genuine passion and unifying objective shining through.

On another note, the drama surrounding the game is pathetic, with minor causes whipping up a frenzy of losers who have nothing better to do than kick a horse while its down.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Jinn tell me more positive things about this game. My faith in it is becoming bleak.

Don't buy it if you can't tell from gameplay footage and what I've said so far that you'll like it. After 6 hours, I'm still having a great time, with exploration, atmosphere, art direction, and combat being the best aspects in that order. I'm someone who is more willing to forgive minor annoyances and lack of polish if I see a genuine passion and unifying objective shining through.

On another note, the drama surrounding the game is pathetic, with minor causes whipping up a frenzy of losers who have nothing better to do than kick a horse while its down.

A lot of people attach themselves emotionally to a game (for some reason). Elden Ring is popular.

So you have a lot of people who are emotionally attached to Elden Ring getting riled up that another game allegedly stole assets.

Outcome is not great. But, if the game doesn't get taken down, if might lead to more traffic because of the outrage cycle and all that.

This game made a good amount of money, judging just from the Steamdb charts. If there's only 3 devs to pay, they'll probably be millionaires before the launch week is done.

Jinn

Arcane
This game made a good amount of money, judging just from the Steamdb charts. If there's only 3 devs to pay, they'll probably be millionaires before the launch week is done.

Seems optimistic, but good, I hope they make another game.
So you have a lot of people who are emotionally attached to Elden Ring getting riled up that another game allegedly stole assets.

I think you're attributing more naivety and innocence to the situation than is the case, honestly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom