Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You can always play Feral Druid if you want a more involved DPS routine. As long as you're willing to farm Manual Crowd Pummelers, master powershifting, and gear off-set items aggressively you should be fine. Also, some of the raids are actually better with Feral Druid tanks than Warrior tanks because Feral tanks output so much threat (with Manual Crowd Pummelers) that the raid isn't threat-capped and can therefore kill the boss faster, but this is only a good idea for the raids where the boss isn't liable to one-shot you with a crit. Remember to pool rage pre-fight (leave a mob around or have a Warlock summon an Infernal or Doomguard so you can tank it to slowly max out your rage before engaging the boss). The other perk of playing Druid is that you can find a party as a tank. The downside of feral is that itemization gets awkward and you farm a lot of Manual Crowd Pummelers, and that they tend to go OOM quickly in dungeons unless you go out of your way to gear int and/or carry potions.

Feral druids do shit dps.

Absinthe

Arcane
Your average feral druid does shit DPS. The guy who thinks tryharding is for no-fun fags, shows up in random blues and greens, and thinks you just catform all fight long and mash abilities when you have the energy for it. Not the guys who have a solid handle on powershifting, gearing, and use a lot of Manual Crowd Pummelers. The difference is massive.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm also sort of intrigued by the memespecs like Balance and SP but even if your were the best chicken on the planet you'd still do a third of the warrior. Plus, your rotation is one button.

Feral is nice. I think I'll try the Hunter, though. Apparently, you can change your items while feigning death. That opens up some interesting doors.

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm also sort of intrigued by the memespecs like Balance and SP but even if your were the best chicken on the planet you'd still do a third of the warrior. Plus, your rotation is one button.
That's not the case of a powershift Druid. Their DPS tends to compete with Hunters. The difference is that Manual Crowd Pummeler abuse gives Feral Druids +50% increased attack speed (which is a massive DPS boost) and that powershifting with Wolfshead Helm and Furor (constantly shifting out and into catform, but your timing is important) gives your Feral Druid a massive boost to energy recovery letting him spam high damage moves much more often than normal Cat Druids. This combination means that you will be doing something like twice the DPS of your regular idiot Feral Druid, and that's not even counting the difference that careful gearing and buff-stacking makes compared to your average idiot. That said Feral Druids as PvE DPS tend to be better on Alliance than Horde because Blessing of Kings and Judgment of Wisdom make a massive difference for a Feral Druid's damage output and long-term mana consumption. On Horde you get no BoK and the other melees have Windfury Totem, plus your mana recovery is not as good, so you will probably go OOM after about 3 minutes and it's not as competitive in DPS, unless perhaps you are grouped with a resto shaman who is giving you both Grace of Air and Strength of Earth totems and Mana Tide totem, but you still don't compete that well with the Windfury Totem users. If you get really good at the class, play Alliance side, and you're okay with farming shittons of Manual Crowd Pummelers regularly, you will do DPS comparable to Hunters and on certain fights, even Rogues and Warriors.

The main reason why I'm mentioning the Feral Druid though is because you seemed to want a DPS class that requires you to be paying attention and doing shit to do DPS. Powershifting Druid is about as interesting as it gets. Everyone else has got lazy rotations at most and single-minded button spam for the most part.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If you play a Rogue then have a great personality that people enjoy having you around because otherwise you'll be forced to play Combat Swords/Daggers and that is a curse I wish on no one.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
That's not the case of a powershift Druid. Their DPS tends to compete with Hunters. The difference is that Manual Crowd Pummeler abuse gives Feral Druids +50% increased attack speed (which is a massive DPS boost) and that powershifting with Wolfshead Helm and Furor (constantly shifting out and into catform, but your timing is important) gives your Feral Druid a massive boost to this energy regeneration letting him spam high damage moves much more often than normal catform Druids. This combination means that you will be doing something like twice the DPS of your regular idiot Feral Druid, and that's not even counting the difference that careful gearing and buff-stacking makes compared to your average idiot. That said Feral Druids as PvE DPS tend to be better on Alliance than Horde because Blessing of Kings and Judgment of Wisdom make a massive difference for a Feral Druid's damage output and long-term mana consumption. On Horde you get no BoK and the other melees have Windfury Totem, plus your mana recovery is not as good, so you will probably go OOM after about 3 minutes and it's not as competitive in DPS, unless perhaps you are grouped with a resto shaman who is giving you both Grace of Air and Strength of Earth totems and Mana Tide totem, but you still don't compete that well with the Windfury Totem users. If you get really good at the class, play Alliance side, and you're okay with farming shittons of Manual Crowd Pummelers regularly, you will do DPS comparable to Hunters and on certain fights, even Rogues and Warriors.

The main reason why I'm mentioning the Feral Druid though is because you seemed to want a DPS class that requires you to be paying attention and doing shit to do DPS. Powershifting Druid is about as interesting as it gets. Everyone else has got lazy rotations at most and single-minded button spam for the most part.

The downside of this is that you'll be farming Gnomeregan 24/7 to supply yourself with enough Crowd Pummelers because of the instance / hour limit and because it's far from 100% drop rate. If you have any semblance of life might just give up on the spot.

Absinthe

Arcane
Yeah, that's why I mentioned the need to farm MCPs a lot. The Gnomeregan grind really sucks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm sorry, I don't have the time anymore. I think with a hunter I'll have a time-friendly class that won't be as involved, but it'll level fast, help me farm without having to get paid to tank dungeons, and still do respectable damage if I weave right. I also find the whole autoshot thing kind of relaxing.

I really wish I could like warrior DPS but it's just so bleh to me. It's nothing like my EQ2 assassin. But then again, what is? That game was great at its brief prime, before its dramatic fall.

I am also thinking I'm just too lazy to be MT. You need to farm quite a bit. And even though I didn't find tanking challenging, it's very stressful because the real enemy is your party.

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm not sure why you would waste time on MMORPGs if you don't have a lot of time to burn, to be honest. There are so many better games out there that I tend to assume that if you want to go play a MMO, wasting spare time is one of your objectives. Still, if you're going with WoW, sounds like Hunter is the way to go based on what you described. Make sure to get the ZG trinket because it does retarded things.

If you're just looking for lazymode classes with fast leveling, good raid DPS, and easy grind, Warlock works too. Play SM/Ruin and you never need to respec. And if you're in a meme spec mood you can tank dungeons as SL spec.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Being DPS is one of the few video game things other than playing RPGs I am pretty good at, so I enjoy it from time to time. It's like... racing? You race laps and try to improve your time (DPS on a boss.)

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm not sure why you would waste time on MMORPGs if you don't have a lot of time to burn, to be honest. There are so many better games out there that I tend to assume that if you want to go play a MMO, wasting spare time is one of your objectives. Still, if you're going with WoW, sounds like Hunter is the way to go based on what you described. Make sure to get the ZG trinket because it does retarded things.

If you're just looking for lazymode classes with fast leveling, good raid DPS, and easy grind, Warlock works too. Play SM/Ruin and you never need to respec. And if you're in a meme spec mood you can tank dungeons as SL spec.

There is something appealing persistence of a character in a shared world. MMORPGs don't have to be all about try-harding. There's space for the miner, the dancer and the bard as well as the fighter and the adventurer. To me the appeal wasn't maxing out stats so I can make easy content even easier. It was about the feeling of being part of massive world I at the time cared for and wanting to see all these landmarks of games I played starting from WC1 while knowing it's 'living' world in sense there are other players in hundreds, thousands. The min maxing aspect came much later to me and it in a way stole away a lot of the charm.

Absinthe

Arcane
MMOs like WoW have absurdly little gameplay outside of combat and the combat is pretty lousy too. There are plenty of other games that can be played socially too. When it comes to persistent world stuff WoW is usually one of the worse MMOs, since the world-state is static and much of the content is instanced.

Gregz

Arcane
I think I will reroll DPS rogue or huntard. Warrior DPS is brainless and you don't get to raid unless you start your own guild, are very patient or have a lot of time as a tank.

Warrior DPS is the most prized raid build on my server. They are always getting to play, and my guild is faction #1. Either your guild is retarded, or the yurup meta is very different from what we do in NA.

The best part about EQ2 at the time was that, if your gear was bad, you could still do better than a bad player in great gear easily, just by playing better. It also has so many buttons, abilities and skill trees. My Assassin had not 3 specs to choose to put points into, but an entire 6 different tabs of various trees. You had 200 talent points.

Why isn't there a game like that?

There is; it's WoW Classic. The best hunter in our guild is the worst geared.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Well, sounds like the class for me.
And you misunderstood. I just don't like playing DPS warrior. It's very boring. All you do is WW, BT, dump rage, time cooldowns and execute and do the heroic strike cancel thing. Snore.

Absinthe

Arcane
Yeah in that case you definitely don't want to play a Warlock. It's even more boring. All you do is spam Shadow Bolt. Sometimes you Life Tap and cast a Corruption. Oh, and then there's potions and Demonic Runes, but if you're not tryharding to avoid GCDs to Life Tap (or if you're threat-capped) you can skip the DRs and save yourself some farm.

If you're going to play a Hunter best Alliance race is Dwarf for Stoneform (breaks Blind, bleeds, and Devouring Plague) unless you really love Shadowmeld camping. Horde side I wouldn't go Troll because weapon skill is not as significant on ranged weapons. Orcs have Hardiness and Command, and Tauren have +5% health, War Stomp, and +3 range to everything, which fucks with people trying to deadzone you, especially if you abuse leeway. I'd favor Tauren but Hardiness can come in handy against Rogues, Warriors, and Paladins.

Last edited:

Avarize

Magister
That's not the case of a powershift Druid. Their DPS tends to compete with Hunters. The difference is that Manual Crowd Pummeler abuse gives Feral Druids +50% increased attack speed (which is a massive DPS boost) and that powershifting with Wolfshead Helm and Furor (constantly shifting out and into catform, but your timing is important) gives your Feral Druid a massive boost to energy recovery letting him spam high damage moves much more often than normal Cat Druids. This combination means that you will be doing something like twice the DPS of your regular idiot Feral Druid, and that's not even counting the difference that careful gearing and buff-stacking makes compared to your average idiot. That said Feral Druids as PvE DPS tend to be better on Alliance than Horde because Blessing of Kings and Judgment of Wisdom make a massive difference for a Feral Druid's damage output and long-term mana consumption. On Horde you get no BoK and the other melees have Windfury Totem, plus your mana recovery is not as good, so you will probably go OOM after about 3 minutes and it's not as competitive in DPS, unless perhaps you are grouped with a resto shaman who is giving you both Grace of Air and Strength of Earth totems and Mana Tide totem, but you still don't compete that well with the Windfury Totem users. If you get really good at the class, play Alliance side, and you're okay with farming shittons of Manual Crowd Pummelers regularly, you will do DPS comparable to Hunters and on certain fights, even Rogues and Warriors.

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/1000#dataset=99
Sure buddy.

Absinthe

Arcane
On the upper bound, Feral Druid does more DPS than Hunter, so that confirms what I was saying: Well played Feral Druids compete well with Hunters in DPS. When it comes to the certain fights where a Druid does DPS comparable to or exceeding Warriors and Rogues though, I'm talking about those fights where AoE carries your DPS, because as a Druid you can drop out of Feral to Hurricane while Warriors and Rogues don't have AoE and therefore do shit DPS beyond the same consumables a Druid can burn, unless the Warrior is the rare guy who brings a Ravager and gets it going. Doing double the DPS of your average idiot Druid may have been overstating it though, but the gap is still very big.

But it's worth noting that neither Feral Druids nor Hunters tend to be top-tier DPS. Hunters are usually more of a utility pickup for tranq shot and the like.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Since the world pvp update questing is impossible, spent most of my time corpse running, so o decided to level by doing dungeons... No go as well, impossible to even get to dungeons like brd due to blackrock mountain being a battle zone.

Absinthe

Arcane
Night Elf race is pretty good for that. Shadowmeld can dodge ganks and Wisp Form gives you 50% faster corpse run speed. It's about the only thing NElf race is good for, though. That and long-distance camping.

Avarize

Magister
On the upper bound, Feral Druid does more DPS than Hunter, so that confirms what I was saying: Well played Feral Druids compete well with Hunters in DPS. When it comes to the certain fights where a Druid does DPS comparable to or exceeding Warriors and Rogues though, I'm talking about those fights where AoE carries your DPS, because as a Druid you can drop out of Feral to Hurricane while Warriors and Rogues don't have AoE and therefore do shit DPS beyond the same consumables a Druid can burn, unless the Warrior is the rare guy who brings a Ravager and gets it going. Doing double the DPS of your average idiot Druid may have been overstating it though, but the gap is still very big.

But it's worth noting that neither Feral Druids nor Hunters tend to be top-tier DPS. Hunters are usually more of a utility pickup for tranq shot and the like.
I don't really see that in the logs. Feral Druids don't seem to do too well on the AoE bosses (at least at the 99th percentile, haven't really checked lower end logs), while they do okay on the more bursty single target encounters. But current content is anomalous anyway. Warriors will continue to be the best dps by numbers through vanilla but currently we have 20sec-1min fights and Death Wish lasts for 30sec, so for many of them warriors have 100% uptime on their major cooldown.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
And that's why I'm on a PvE server

Now im wishing that i did the same, unfortunately they only allow transfers to other pvp servers, not from pvp to pve. Refuse to roll another character on a pve server, it takes way too big a time investment to go through all those levels again.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I think I will reroll DPS rogue or huntard. Warrior DPS is brainless and you don't get to raid unless you start your own guild, are very patient or have a lot of time as a tank.

Warrior DPS is the most prized raid build on my server. They are always getting to play, and my guild is faction #1. Either your guild is retarded, or the yurup meta is very different from what we do in NA.
Nope, that's what it's like on the EU servers as well. Stacking Warrior DPS in raids is how it's done. I don't know what madness possessed Jasede to make him think that rolling a DPS Warrior will somehow exclude him from joining a raid guild but a Hunter of all classes won't. Most guilds already have their Hunters and they only need one or two because we know how their raid DPS will become irrelevant in the future so no one is willing to invest in them anymore.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Why won't you read my posts?

I can join raids all day long; I just hate playing DPS warrior.
It's moot anyway; I found an OT spot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom