Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Unwanted

CruduxCruo

Unwanted
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
WoWScrnShot_041620_210317.jpg

(No, I don't have bloodvine yet)

Absinthe

Arcane
Doesn't matter, this is what pvp is like for a warrior anyway:
Spider Belt, Gnome Escape Artist racial, and Free Action Potion (or Restorative Potion) help there. Fury's Improved Intercept, better rage generation, and Improved Berserker Rage also help there. If you really hate mages, are willing to waste money, and have Engineering, you can throw Arcane Bombs at them, although you'd sooner use Engineering items like Net-O-Matic, Frost Reflector, and Rocket Boots. Lategame if you are in an asshole mood (and so happen to be playing Dwarf Warrior, with that frost resist racial), you could PvP in full Icebane (maybe mix in some Icy Scale for more attack power) against mages and make them cry. You can actually achieve 300+ frost resist with the right gearing choices. Mages really appreciate that.

The word "though" is used for contrasting effect. Obviously Felstrikers are not blues or greens.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing a Night Elf Druid at the moment, in Ashenvale. Was killing three mobs higher level than me for a red quest. Some Naga on an island, they patrolled together, no way to pull just one. Already had killed a mob, died and came back. Killed the other mob, was about to die. The exp from the mob leveled me, and the resulting restored health/mana let me kill the quest target. Booyah. Fuckin clutch as fuck my dudes.

Last edited:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So I gave this a shot and joined a "high" population server (earthfury) and am extremely disappointed to see that, after checking multiple times at different hours, there are no people standing outside ironforge gates dueling. Also goldshire is dead.

I remember back in vanilla (or BC ?? idk long ass time ago that I played) there were ALWAYS many many people hanging out outside IF gates and around goldshire. What the fuck happened? Is this high pop server actually just dead? Do I need to somehow get into one of the locked servers for this?

Ninjerk

Arcane
So I gave this a shot and joined a "high" population server (earthfury) and am extremely disappointed to see that, after checking multiple times at different hours, there are no people standing outside ironforge gates dueling. Also goldshire is dead.

I remember back in vanilla (or BC ?? idk long ass time ago that I played) there were ALWAYS many many people hanging out outside IF gates and around goldshire. What the fuck happened? Is this high pop server actually just dead? Do I need to somehow get into one of the locked servers for this?
There's no such thing as "downtime" in 2020.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

There's no such thing as "downtime" in 2020.

damn. so it's not that the servers are dead, it's just that people are too busy hyper-optimizing every second in game to do things like chilling outside city gates?

"the game doesn't change, but the people do change" - I think i read that in a anime 0nce

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Game revolves around BiS lists at the endgame and dungeon boosts for alts. Everyone did specific boss runs when they hit 60 to get their pre raid BiS, then when that's done they raid log, alt level or burn out. With ZG that has changed a bit, so people now ignore doing most of the level 60 dungeons and just go into ZG in greens or random blues, the fucking place is so easy that most pugs faceroll through it in a couple of hours and the loot is good enough to skip mc altogether.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
You might be on a server with a large faction imbalance.

I checked one of those statistic sites and I'm pretty sure the realm has like 44% ally and 56% horde which seems pretty fine right?

tbh it's not really hard to find a group in whatever zone I'm hanging out but I'm just sad that there's no duels at IF gates, to me that's like essential vanilla wow nostalgia u kno? maybe they're busy selling dungeon runs for 2g a pop tho

Nito

Educated
Patron
You might be on a server with a large faction imbalance.

I checked one of those statistic sites and I'm pretty sure the realm has like 44% ally and 56% horde which seems pretty fine right?

tbh it's not really hard to find a group in whatever zone I'm hanging out but I'm just sad that there's no duels at IF gates, to me that's like essential vanilla wow nostalgia u kno? maybe they're busy selling dungeon runs for 2g a pop tho

I have seen a little dueling activity outside the gates of Org on my server. I think it could vary from server to server. Undeniably the people have changed, the culture has changed, the nature of the internet and content consumption has changed; even if the game itself is technically the same. I think paid runs are absolutely abhorrent, but that min-maxing and economics. I think you just have to choose, either be disappointed by that and have a bad time, try to roll with it, or attempt to steer it the way you want to go. I think expecting people to imitate behaviors from over a decade ago, is setting yourself up to be miserable. Maybe try dueling some passers by?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Ok I binged this for like a week and I think I'm about done so here's my review (got to level 36 as a mage and I think I've experienced mostly enough at this point):

• In-game community's pretty chill, for the most part very social. Made a LOT of friends in the short time I played, easy to find groups to run dungeons with, and overall nobody seems to really give a fuck about min-maxing etc which was something I was worried about, almost everyone (except one person I ran into) was just messing around for fun
  • The progression from zero is what I really enjoy about this. Having no money and no bag space at the beginning and slowly growing into a G is probably the most compelling aspect of the game (or, tied with the social aspect at least)
  • The game started to become more boring once I hit level 24 or so and started making a LOT of gold, being able to afford good AH gear and big bags and now at level 36 I just don't have motivation to progress further.
mmmmmmm I like how the game provides scenarios that encourage social interaction. I was aoe farming in duskwood for example and had a lot of fun making rivals and trying to mess up other mage's pulls because we were competing for xp from the limited spawn rates of enemies. Sending nasty messages to one another and disrupting pulls/dealing with people trying to mess with me was a ton of fun. Also had a lot of fun running into horde players and getting into fights since it was a pvp server.

Uhhhhhh yeah I guess that's it the people on my server at least were fun to play with but I think I've reached the max amount of time I want to put into this game. At the end I have 3 days playtime which is actually a lot more than I spend on most games so that's p cool

so yeah I give this game 4 blunts out of 5 or something like that

dont forget to subscribe to my blog for more

thx gamers

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
the game is endless boring grind. you need to be special to reach 60 before quitting

yeah I can see that. I still like the process of building up from totally broke loser at level 1, for some reason that's really fun for me in any game. And the community, at least the people I ran into, were super chill compared to other multiplayer games.

In most mp games these days the only social interaction is getting bitched at by 4 teammates because you didn't read some meta strategy guide or watch 200 hours of a pro streamer before daring to play, but in this game players were way more laid back and didn't really give a fuck about anything, just were fun to play with. Was refreshing

Thinking about buying 200 dollars worth of gold to finish buying the arcane crystals I need for Thunderfury. Mages and bots have decimated the economy and in about two weeks gold has lost an entire third of its value. Mages are ruining every aspect of the game and bots never get banned, so I'm thinking just skip the grind, and if I get banned for doing so, I can finally be finished with Blizzard and never spend money on another product of theirs. (Yes, including TBC/WotLK re-releases.)

What do you guys think?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A query - about a month ago I started seeing videos about someone called Asmongold playing Dark Souls in my recomended YT inbox. I'm a huge DS nerd but I had never heard about no Asmongold in the community before and these videos had some chunky views. So I watched a bit and realized he's a WoW streamer and a DS noob. Still, the videos were p. entertaining.

And for some reason I started watching even his WoW videos now. I have no idea what he's talking about most of the time since I have never played a minute of WoW in my life but whenever I have a lunch break or some free time I watch this Asmongold dude for a bit. No idea why and it bugs me.

What is his rep in the WoW community? For an outsider like me he seems very likeable and endearing but sometimes he seems to play dumb for comedic effect? And what's the key to his success? So yeah, just asking out of curiosity.

J1M

Arcane
He is entertaining and has a very high social IQ.

To be honest, the best way to experience Classic is probably to watch his beta streams.

Last edited:

Syl

Cipher
A legend says that if you click on one of his videos, you are plagued with endless recommendations from him in your Youtube feed for all eternity. :P

Ninjerk

Arcane
A query - about a month ago I started seeing videos about someone called Asmongold playing Dark Souls in my recomended YT inbox. I'm a huge DS nerd but I had never heard about no Asmongold in the community before and these videos had some chunky views. So I watched a bit and realized he's a WoW streamer and a DS noob. Still, the videos were p. entertaining.

And for some reason I started watching even his WoW videos now. I have no idea what he's talking about most of the time since I have never played a minute of WoW in my life but whenever I have a lunch break or some free time I watch this Asmongold dude for a bit. No idea why and it bugs me.

What is his rep in the WoW community? For an outsider like me he seems very likeable and endearing but sometimes he seems to play dumb for comedic effect? And what's the key to his success? So yeah, just asking out of curiosity.
Very popular pre-Classic for his anti-Blizzard rhetoric about how they had changed the game. He has a lot of really funny stories that most people who came of age with Blizzard can identify with (guild drama stories, ninja looting stuff). He does "mount off" competitions. Managed to turn his streaming persona into making a LOOOOT of money and last time I watched his stream he was dating a 9-10/10 streamer/cosplayer named Pink Sparkles. Pretty :salute: for a guy who looks born to be a skeleton warrior.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom