Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Ninjerk

Arcane
Anyways, Gehennas is queue-free at the moment!
Fucking Gehennas is just a pipedream for people with work. 10k queue when I got off work and I sat in it for 2.5 hours. Still 8k left when I got back just now.

If I can't play on it this weekend, I'll stick to Assbringer even though I'm only level 7 on there right now.
I didn't read the bluepost, but I think they must have raised the amount of players the server can handle at one time. I was able to get on at something like 2AM server time (I had set an alarm for 4AM server, but woke up early for some reason; I am 2 hours ahead of server time). Lucky for me, I didn't have students until 11AM (about 1 hour-1.5 hours of travel).

Ninjerk

Arcane
Fun fact: Blizz removed MSAA from WoW on my GTX 750, while old 1.12 client runs with it perfectly, and produces a sharp image.

CMAA is not the same, it's washed out, and I shouldn't need a superpowered videocard to run this engine properly.

Also, player count on the Elysium (emulator) server is still around 500, didn't change at all with WoW Classic release. It's low, but Elysium is the only server that withstood the test of time.
Wilian sic' him.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Anyways, Gehennas is queue-free at the moment!
Fucking Gehennas is just a pipedream for people with work. 10k queue when I got off work and I sat in it for 2.5 hours. Still 8k left when I got back just now.

If I can't play on it this weekend, I'll stick to Assbringer even though I'm only level 7 on there right now.
Join the queue when you leave for work. :smug:
There isn't a 9 hour queue at 7 am. I wish there was.
I have Chrome Remote Desktop set up now that I will use on days I can't get at it earlier. I brought 2 laptops with me to Russia so I can leave one plugged in at home and sitting in queue for when I get home. I could also probably play a class like a hunter on mobile through remote desktop. :lol:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Fun fact: Blizz removed MSAA from WoW on my GTX 750, while old 1.12 client runs with it perfectly, and produces a sharp image.

CMAA is not the same, it's washed out, and I shouldn't need a superpowered videocard to run this engine properly.

Also, player count on the Elysium (emulator) server is still around 500, didn't change at all with WoW Classic release. It's low, but Elysium is the only server that withstood the test of time.
Wilian sic' him.

Wot, I've not been accossiated with the scene for like three years. :M

J1M

Arcane
The way to make "hybrids" or support classes viable is to give them something unique that they bring to the group.

For example, the ability Bloodlust is impactful enough that if you need to bring a lower-performing spec to have it in the group, you are still happy to have that person there.

Same thing with druids and Mark of the Wild/Innervate/Battle Res. Even if a priest is a better healer, you will always trade one to get a druid.

They could have easily gone in that direction by creating interesting support role gameplay, and then giving that role a force-multiplying ability. (ie. A short-range aura that increases melee haste by 20%)

They sort of did this in end of TBC, forementioned Bloodlust and Ret was viable enough to be brought into the hardest DPS check of the expansion for world first kill because of Sanctity Aura buffs and Judgement of Crusader crit increases for entire raid (while upkeeping JoW etc) while just skirting the minimum DPS requirement per person.

But then WotLK launched and every class got everything.
Yeah, and shadow priests had group mana regen from dealing damage.

I know they caved to pressure from people who wanted meter parity, but I think they should have approached the problem differently.

1) Ignore people complaining about meters that are playing classes getting invited anyway for things like battle res.

2) Develop an official version of recount that clearly attributes 20% of the raid's shadow damage to the player applying the shadow vulnerability debuff. Maybe give 100% of the dps/healing of someone after they were resurrected to the player that raised them, etc.

Essentially, create a visualization that better represents overall group contribution. Address complaints that arise from negative social perception by correcting perception problems instead of the symptoms.

3) Design roles for different skill levels and different ability usage frequency. Clearly articulate this. While some roles require input every 1.2 seconds, others can demand more about thoughtful timing of powerful spells. (Allowing friends to play together, which is preferable to creating 5 different difficulties of each raid.)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Asked wife to put me in queue 5 hours before I get home. Worked like a charm, I came home to a character selection screen.

I'm also writing a bot to automate the process.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am actually really loving this.

I just can't decide who to level - my level 12 Warrior Human or my level 13 Undead Priest. Both are super fun.

Also, the community is legit outstanding. Everyone is buffing everyone, the banter on /1 is always good. It's a great game - not as hardcore as the old stuff of course, like UO or EQ 1, but a great balance between no-life and casual.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I've no idea how people can stomach through playing a Warrior or Paladin while solo leveling. I'm going around, nearly 1 shotting things with Ambush and homie on the right here is having life or death epic duels with Defias Pillagers hoping his next auto attack doesn't miss.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's not that bad. I shittalk on /1 the entire time, and TBH if you always fight enemies the same or lower level, and smith yourself some armor, being a Warrior is not as slow as people say. Maybe 25% slower than average at worst. Which isn't too horrible, considering literally everyone is sucking my dick merely for playing a warrior.

The thing is, I already know I excel at DPS. It's easy for me to refine my rotation and positioning where I can top parses even in inferior gear. I want to try something I have not yet done: healing or tanking. I got a little tanking experience from EQ2 playing my ex's Guardian. (A tank that deals no damage, but has great threat generation and defense.)

Generic-Giant-Spider

The one positive I can see from playing Warrior is once you hit like, level 17 (or earlier if you're Horde) you can pretty much dungeon spam until your brain melts since it'll be easy to find groups and I believe any Warrior can tank reasonably well if they have an idea of what they're doing regardless of spec. I'd probably just do that until I could hit 40 and get MS or Bloodthirst.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I've no idea how people can stomach through playing a Warrior or Paladin while solo leveling. I'm going around, nearly 1 shotting things with Ambush and homie on the right here is having life or death epic duels with Defias Pillagers hoping his next auto attack doesn't miss.
I also love the daggers/ambush build, but have to forego it, because apparently it's inferior to swords/sinister strike according to literally everyone else.

cw8

Cipher
I forgot how shit Westfall was to level in. Finally bailed and went to Loch Modan instead. It's like a breath of fresh air.

One of my fav zones. Grizzly Hills in WOTLK too. Southshore is another. Damn, I miss the mass world PVP in Southshore. It's like gangfights, only it's in the game. Hope it takes off in Classic. Are there any world PVP battles in Barrens yet?

Generic-Giant-Spider

I also love the daggers/ambush build, but have to forego it, because apparently it's inferior to swords/sinister strike according to literally everyone else.

It is inferior, but it is much more enjoyable. I do play on a PVP realm though so I like to have that whole versatility of being able to just kill someone that tagged a mob I needed to complete a quest. I think the biggest detriment is that daggers are more difficult to come by than swords. You pretty much need to run dungeons for decent ones since questing hardly gives any out. You also need to put points into different trees before you start coming into your own as a critical striking god.

But it does allow you to take fun talents in the Subtlety tree and even with just 1/3 Imp Ambush, with Remorseless Attacks up I just zoom around the whole place blasting health bars apart. Camouflage and Master of Deception also help a ton in being able to keep the flow going. I don't know, I can't get into Combat Swords as a leveling thing. It doesn't feel Rogue enough for me even though it gets the job done easily.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Play how you want IMO. You could always go with a combat daggers (or weapon agnostic) build and swap in swords and SS for a few levels between dagger upgrades. Take Remorseless Attacks, Imp. Gouge, Imp. Backstab, Imp. Kick and CD reduction talents. As long as you don't take too long between mobs you can sustain something like +43% chance to crit on Ambushes and +73% to crit on backstabs (mostly from stealth). Rogues have one of the most creative talent tree layouts in the game--take advantage of it and have fun, IMO.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Everyone is buffing everyone

My GF back then was watching me while I play, she didn't like the game at all and always bugging me. Stupid game, stupid people etc.
Then she saw a random druid heal and buff me while passing by and asked why he did that. I told her that was something standard most of the players are like that(good'ol days) common goodness.
She was hooked from that point and became a motherfucking grand marshal with her gnome warlock O_o

Generic-Giant-Spider

It doesn't feel Rogue enough for me even though it gets the job done easily.
I wouldn't say it makes it easy. It's like being a warrior. You can take on two mobs of your level, and barely survive by burning evasion.

True, but I think around the time you can do SM/RFD and get the sword rewards from those quests or maybe even the Thrash Blade you can easily pull a few mobs and just Blade Flurry them down every couple minutes. By then you'll have good Combat talents and likely have some Sword Specialization investment plus Riposte procs if you took that talent. Around the time you get 5/5 Precision is when you start to feel Combat become a force.

But I stand by my stubbornness. I want those big dick criticals with Backstab/Ambush and see chunks of life leave the health bar.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I don't think you ever played a warrior if you think "autoattack" is a thing with them. The real issue with leveling a warrior is gankers. Mobs you can handle. If you pull too many mobs you are basically done for, which is the real difference with most other classes and even tends to breed a "last stand" mentality when you know you can't run away so you end up trying to do as much damage as you can while dying standing on your feet, gnawing at your enemy's neck and cursing their name with your last breath, Robert E. Howard style. But that's easily avoidable by learning how to engage groups correctly.

No, the real issue is that without a healer helping you out the warrior is the punching bag of world pvp. The worst of course is frost mages and since they know you can't beat them no matter what you become a magnet for constant mage ganking. Need to whip out this old classic for reference:

Pally is not for solo. You help others and suddenly you are in a group. That's how it usually went when i leveled mine back in the day. You are not going to see it early on since the first levels people just like to play solo but it's more common as you go to tougher zones. This is especially true in pvp servers and retribution Paladins have mean burst damage so when you get one in a group with you while questing it's guaranteed to make gankers think twice about jumping you. You get a healer who can just one shot you with a lucky crit and while Paladins have a problem with mobility in 1vs1 fights in the chaos of a group fight they can easily close the gab which makes them scary, and with the bobble a group fight just translates with people running away from the paladin while they get picked off by the mage etc.

Warriors too eventually will end up forming groups. A warrior with a healer is a force to be reckoned with and it's not terribly uncommon to find priests who are leveling with an healing spec. You'd think everybody would just level shadow but often that's not the case. This was more common on ally, especially with Dwarf priests. Undead priests and shadow spec are just too good a match thematic wise to pass it up. Even so, warriors are just a great asset to have for world pvp for any squishy healer.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom