Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Backstabber

Educated
Near the end of the game, a certain NPC will ask you a question. One ending can be obtained by choosing the "Accept" answer, the second ending can be obtained by choosing the "Refuse" answer, and the third ending can be obtained by choosing the "Refuse" answer after having consumed three umbilical cords

-Bloodborne looks, sounds and moves almost exactly like DaS1.
-They never bothered to fix the same fucking engine problems that DaS1 had.
-Fucking VIT/END calculations are copies of VIT/END from DaS1 while enemy HP/DMG were clearly designed with different numbers in mind.
-A lot of fast weapons have nearly the same movesets as DaS1 straightswords etc.
-Fast weapons are as spammy and twitchy as DaS1 and the 'great' weapons have nearly the same movesets as well. (Hello Ludw... I mean Gatsu Claymore hybrid)
-The transformed axe is basically DaS1 halberd. Even the fucking katana barely differs from Iaito.
-They removed a lot of elements Dark Souls had which provided for varied gameplay - no matter if it's easy or hard. (OMG NO U FAGIT SHIELDS ARE FOR FAGITS AND MAGIC IS FOR SCRUB FAGITS LERN TO SPAM R1 TO HEAL AND SPAM QUICKSTEPS U FEGET FUCK U HAVEL ARMOR WEARING HEAVY ARMOR FAGET U R JELLY CUZ U CANT BUY PS4 FOR THIS U FUCKING POOR PIECE OF SHIT)
-Gameplay still revolves around exploring intricate levels and unlocking shortcuts for easier boss access (Hello DaS1/DeS)
-Please have some more of DaS1 basic action combat minus all the gameplay mechanics that spiced things up. BUT HERE, also have some very artistic and atmospheric shit that will mask the bare-bones gameplay.

They took away customization and variety and never bothered to fill the void. Basic action with castrated RPG elements. Of course, all the $$$ spent on fancy designs is enough for fanboy retards to not give a shit about details.

I will still play this at some point and enjoy it (despite having watched enough footage worth multiple playthroughs). That still doesn't change the fact that BB is a huge step down from DaS2 in terms of gameplay.

DaS2 fucked up with shit story/atmosphere/level design and Bloodborne fucked up with shit gameplay.

/rant

Murk

Arcane
pre-rec on it

I guess this is what filthy casul normies think of it

>leveling resistance kekekeke

I'll reply in meme form:

KzoooDj.jpg

FUCKN NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
pre-rec on it

I guess this is what filthy casul normies think of it

>leveling resistance kekekeke

"Chemo Cancer patient" and "too old and late to be a pre-op tranny" discuss Bloodborne.

:0/5:

Zep--

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Sour grapes? You mean actual discussion/criticism opposed to fanboy fapping? U r teh sour wun m8.

This discussion is meaningless. There is no "actual" anything occurring here. It constantly comes down to the same thing:

People who have actually played the game: "Wow the ebb and flow of Bloodborne feels totally different. Despite having very similar mechanics to Dark Souls, it plays out like a different game entirely!"

People who haven't played the game: "GAME WAS DUMBED DOWN DUZ NO SHIELDS!!11!!"

Back and forth. Forever. This was literally the same discussion we had before the game even fucking came out.

There's your fucking problem. You have "feel" and "ebb and flow" on your side. On the other end people are actually trying to analyze gameplay and how it's shit compared to the predecessors.

The stupid shield meme is your own. Your mouth spews Bloodborne marketing like fucking Sony itself. WE HAVE VISCERAL COMBAT AND NO SHIELDS THIS TIME YOU FUCKING CASUALS GIT GUD HAVELBABBIES.

Edit: by mouth i mean... Fingers? Keyboard? Ok I'm done...

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
"That's your fucking problem, you have actual gameplay on your side! We're trying to watch videos to determine how a game feels!"

:thumbsup:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The fact that they removed circle-strafe backstabs alone makes Bloodborne leagues above the souls games. You now must time a power attack to perform one.

Edward_R_Murrow parries have now also been limited. No longer can you parry spam forever as you'll run out of bullets.

AngryEddy lemme guess, first time you fought Father G you kept rolling away from attacks and he punished the shit out of you for it? This is not a Souls game: if you roll away from bosses they will punish you for it.

UndetectedButthurt the customization is still there, you just no longer have the heavy shield and tank armor options.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Nope, I beat him on my second try, I just didn't like the fact he isn't held to the same limitations the player is, just like half of the shit in the game, kind of like the vileblood guy at the end of Eileen's quest who has infinite ammo so he can infinitely spam hunters bone and his double shot pistol.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Nope, I beat him on my second try, I just didn't like the fact he isn't held to the same limitations the player is, just like half of the shit in the game, kind of like the vileblood guy at the end of Eileen's quest who has infinite ammo so he can infinitely spam hunters bone and his double shot pistol.

That hunter is notorious for being a pain in the ass. Thankfully he can only heal once IIRC and it's possible to cheese him.

Father G has limitations other than infinite ammo, but infinite ammo is the trade off for not being able to heal.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

This is actually a valid point. I was watching one guy who said "Ok, I'll just wait for him to run out of ammo", which makes perfect sense and would be a sound common-sense tactic to associate with the phrase "git gud or die, scrub". But the bad-guy never ran out of ammo... which was a bit disappointing. But then again, bad guys don't heal-spam from blood-vials, so there's always that... and it's like that in most games, even games where the monsters are allowed to use healing potions, they'll only ever have two or three at maximum. So, yeah, a valid point, a very valid point, but it's no indicator of dumbing down, it's a common issue with pretty much all computer game RPGs.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
The enemies in every souls game have had infinite stamina as far as I can tell.

The hunter at the end of eileen's questline is definitely very overtuned. I'm not sure if he's supposed to be legitimately beaten or was intended to be cheesed with poison daggers or whatever.

Father G on the other hand is a very well designed boss fight - he should have been the first instead of Cleric imo since he teaches new players the importance of parrying and/or utilizing the environment for spacing.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Only major problem I have with the game so far is the blood vial system. I can understand why they wanted to incorporate it as a mechanic, and as such it does play in to the lore of the game quite well. Also like how it'll only heal a large amount of your health if you just took a huge amount of damage from one attack, otherwise it'll only heal roughly a quarter of your health per hit. It's just that it takes this awkward middle ground between the replenishable health system of Demon's Souls and the Estus system of Dark Souls. You can only carry a limited supply of them at a time, which is good because it avoids the issue of DaS' invasion system which'd just devolve into a game of "Who'll run out of healing grass first?", but at the same time you still need to farm it in order to keep your stocks up. So if you get stonewalled by a boss and begin running out of blood vials, you have two options: spend your hard earned blood echoes on the extremely overpriced vials at the Hunter's Dream merchant, or go farm it at one of the easier areas (and it's always fun having to sweep through the same area over and over again fighting enemies that pose no real threat to you). All the while enduring Bloodborne's many long loading screens.

I know, I know, git gud and all that, but this is the one area of the game where I just feel the developers were unfairly punishing players.

Oh, and Martyr Logarius is probably the glitchiest boss fight in the game. By my fifth attempt against him he'd freak out and continuously try to cast that storm of sword attack, only for him to stick his sword in the ground and nothing happen. Also hate how his giant red explosive ball attack just clips through the ground instead of doing something to make it more obvious that getting anywhere close to it will take most of your health off. Other than him, most of the other bosses are really well-done.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I tried to kill Logarius at level 25, but he's too tough. :negative: I'll come back when I'm stronger.

I hope they never fix the glitch that lets you get to Iosefka's clinic early. It's the Master Key of Bloodborne.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Jick Magger - Blood Vials always restore roughly 40% of the total HP actually. The amount of light red health you have doesn't matter. This is actually one of the reasons why pumping Vitality is pretty overpowered, especially in tandem with endurance costs being so low and scaling mattering little until weapons hit +7 or so.

I do agree that the system was a step back from Estus, an opinion I've stated a few times. I still stand by my belief that they should have gone with estus, but with the ability to gain a flask from performing a visceral attack to compensate for the massive size of bloodborne's environments.

Sothpaw

Learned
I will still play this at some point and enjoy it (despite having watched enough footage worth multiple playthroughs). That still doesn't change the fact that BB is a huge step down from DaS2 in terms of gameplay.

:philosoraptor:

Bros, which of the covenants are worthwile?

As I understand, covenants don't do anything other than provide a rune for your 4th slot. That said, I use the "covenant" that increases the heal per blood vial. I think I got that one for finishing the Martyr quest.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
The rune for the fourth slot obtained by finishing Eileen's questline beats out the covenant ones by a fair margin imo.

Sothpaw

Learned
The rune for the fourth slot obtained by finishing Eileen's questline beats out the covenant ones by a fair margin imo.

That's the stamina regen one right? I have that one too but I kinda just assumed increased healing was better. I guess the regen is pretty significant?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
IIRC the Executioner rune gives a pitiful amount of extra health, but I don't know how significant the stamina is one the hunter one. The Vileblood rune is basically worthless, which is a shame since it's the only covenant that seems to have an actual purpose. The covenants in Bloodborne are pretty disappointing. Maybe DLC will improve on this.

CDBuAEjVEAAaGM2.jpg

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I honestly didn't even know there were covenants in the game until like 30 hours in.

Three games in and they still really haven't gotten the covenant system right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom