Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Which is why they added heavy armor and added shields and use the same medieval setting.

Removing some gameplay tools and changing the setting doesn't change the formula. You still have your basic Souls game with exploration, combat and "lore" that hardly differs from DaS1 mechanically. Heck... Even DaS2, with all its shortcomings, deviated from DaS1 more than Bloodborne.

:notsureifserious:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
they're milking the formula a bit too much, and it shows...

Which is why they added heavy armor and added shields and use the same medieval setting.

are you actually mentally retarded or are you trying to outedge angryedgy? i'm leaning towards the former, but feel free to prove me wrong

I think it's you who are playing the Mr. Razor's Edge card here. I couldn't watch either Dark Souls games, but Bloodborne, holy cow, that's not milking, that's taking it to the next level. You might be wallowing in the butthurt of minor mechanics changes/similarities, but the overall everything of bloodborne is what is termed A Cut Above. Go read some Youtube comments from people actually playing the game - "you're using Dark Souls tactics, this isn't Dark Souls, that's why you're dying, you have to use completely different tactics for this game". And, yes, you can make a word-post replying basically "No, it's the same old shit", but that's all it is, contrary words easily written, the fact that it's wrong is what is important.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Does Eileen the Crow disappear after some events in the game?
If you didn't do her quest line with Henryk before killing Rom, check the grand cathedral.
I didn't kill Rom, I just can't find her in the sewers (the first place she should be). I killed Cleric beast, Gascoigne and Blood-starved by far. Could she disappear after some of those events?

DragoFireheart

Niektory

one of some
Patron
I played this game for a bit yesterday, and I really hate the dodge input buffering. If you press dodge while you're locked in an animation, the game will wait until the animation finishes, which can take a while, and then still execute the dodge. It's worst when you're trying to dodge an attack and press the button slightly too late, you'll get hit, stagger for a moment, THEN dodge when you don't want to anymore, likely fucking you up even more. I keep dying because of this shit. It was a problem in the Souls games as well, but it's worse this time around because you can't fall back to blocking.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I played this game for a bit yesterday, and I really hate the dodge input buffering. If you press dodge while you're locked in an animation, the game will wait until the animation finishes, which can take a while, and then still execute the dodge. It's worst when you're trying to dodge an attack and press the button slightly too late, you'll get hit, stagger for a moment, THEN dodge when you don't want to anymore, likely fucking you up even more. I keep dying because of this shit. It was a problem in the Souls games as well, but it's worse this time around because you can't fall back to blocking.

I feel the input buffering is part of the game mechanics. It hinders the "button masher" type players until they git gud learn.

Zep--

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
they're milking the formula a bit too much, and it shows...

are you actually mentally retarded or are you trying to outedge angryedgy? i'm leaning towards the former, but feel free to prove me wrong

Drago is correct. Look, we understand that you're anally devastated that you can't justify buying a PS4, it's ok man.

The game feels very different in how it plays. Think of the difference between, say, DMC3/Bayonetta/MGR. Or hell, even the difference between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. There's a palpable, tangible difference in how all of those games perform. The only sign of "milking" would be the fact that it is becoming somewhat apparent that it has become a creative struggle to invent totally new bosses within the souls-engine. You lack the proper insight to understand - something that can only come with hands on experience.

Removing some gameplay tools and changing the setting doesn't change the formula. You still have your basic Souls game with exploration, combat and "lore" that hardly differs from DaS1 mechanically. Heck... Even DaS2, with all its shortcomings, deviated from DaS1 more than Bloodborne.

Incorrect. There is a markedly larger transition from DS1 -> Bloodborne than from DS1 -> DS2. The complete repurposing of spells, retooling of the ebb and flow of melee combat, and the dynamic of guns vs shields all cause massive differences in gameplay. Yet another stream monster trying to write the game off since he can't buy it.

Can I just say that the sound effects in this game are the best sound effects I have ever heard in anything ever.

Yup. The sound design in this game is amazing. The sound design in DeS and DaS was also sublime, and DS2's was decent, but Bloodborne really takes that aspect up multiple notches.

Most of the basic sounds are re-used from DeS/DaS/DaS2.

Not really. Sure, some of the absolute basic things like the ladder climbing noise are the same - but it's the environmental noises and stuff that StaticSpine mentioned that create such a vivid soundscape. I mean, ultimately, does it really matter if they took the time and money to recapture ladder climbing footage? :lol:

It's actually less pronounced in this game since almost all of your actions have fewer recovery frames than in the souls series.

Just wanted to point out that it's funny to read this comment after reading

It all looks more casual and button smashy

praetor

Arcane
Look, we understand that you're anally devastated that you can't justify buying a PS4, it's ok man.

yes, i'm so devastated that i don't have 2 co-workers who did waste their money on the PS4 that's now collecting dust and that i could borrow if i just asked, after which renting BB would be trivial, or even buying a 2nd hand copy for (quick search and conversion) 35$... fuck, i just spent double that for a bottle of whisky.

but please, do go on fanboying, it's amusing. tell me how i don't know that it doesn't play anything like souls because there's no shields now (as if they were required) and you can parry at a distance now. do i need to play BB 7 times before i can see what's obvious for everyone who isn't an irrational, asslicking, blathering fanboy?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Look, we understand that you're anally devastated that you can't justify buying a PS4, it's ok man.

yes, i'm so devastated that i don't have 2 co-workers who did waste their money on the PS4 that's now collecting dust and that i could borrow if i just asked, after which renting BB would be trivial, or even buying a 2nd hand copy for (quick search and conversion) 35$... fuck, i just spent double that for a bottle of whisky.

How about you do that instead of shitposting in a thread for a game you've never played?

but please, do go on fanboying, it's amusing. tell me how i don't know that it doesn't play anything like souls because there's no shields now (as if they were required) and you can parry at a distance now. do i need to play BB 7 times before i can see what's obvious for everyone who isn't an irrational, asslicking, blathering fanboy?

Yes, I will continue curbstomping idiots in this thread until my general interest in it wanes off. I derive amusement from it.

Murk

Arcane
this thread is p lol

in terms of sound effects here is why BB is an objectively horrible game and is utter and complete garbage and you are all dbags for liking it

the sound that's made when you absorb blood echoes form a kill is unique and new
the sound that's made when you absorb blood echoes from a hard blood item is the old soul absorption sound from ds1

checkm8 BBtards

added bonus: the gun-in-left, weapon-in-right pose in bb is the same as the powerstance from ds2; sukkit

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
this thread is p lol

in terms of sound effects here is why BB is an objectively horrible game and is utter and complete garbage and you are all dbags for liking it

the sound that's made when you absorb blood echoes form a kill is unique and new
the sound that's made when you absorb blood echoes from a hard blood item is the old soul absorption sound from ds1

checkm8 BBtards

added bonus: the gun-in-left, weapon-in-right pose in bb is the same as the powerstance from ds2; sukkit

FROM SOFTWARE U HACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DragoFireheart

praetor, who the fuck are you trying to impress?

If you don't like Bloodborne for whatever reason, fine, but don't pretend you have some insight on the game. At least AngryEddy played the damn thing twice.

praetor

Arcane

If you don't like Bloodborne for whatever reason, fine, but don't pretend you have some insight on the game. At least AngryEddy played the damn thing twice.

"impress"? did playing BB do that much damage to your brain cells? why are you throwing around random words?

and what particular "insight" would be needed? that it's yet another Souls game with a formula that deviated little since the first with even less depth (not that there was much of it in the original formula in the first place, when it comes to mechanics), that From are still not learning animals (much like their fanboys)?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

"impress"? did playing BB do that much damage to your brain cells? why are you throwing around random words?

and what particular "insight" would be needed? that it's yet another Souls game with a formula that deviated little since the first with even less depth (not that there was much of it in the original formula in the first place, when it comes to mechanics), that From are still not learning animals (much like their fanboys)?

Turtle-ing behind shields and armor in Soul's games is a pretty big change compared to the attack and be aggressive tactics you need to use in BB.

Zep--

DragoFireheart

:hmmm:

Ok praetor, lets assume you are correct and that Bloodborne utterly failed to deviate from the Souls formula in any fashion.

How much deviation were you expecting? Too much and it's no longer a Souls game, too little and we get Dark Souls 3. What exactly were you expecting from this game? Tank-controls survival horror? King's Quest adventure controls? King's Field with guns?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

Ok praetor, lets assume you are correct and that Bloodborne utterly failed to deviate from the Souls formula in any fashion.

How much deviation were you expecting? Too much and it's no longer a Souls game, too little and we get Dark Souls 3. What exactly were you expecting from this game? Tank-controls survival horror? King's Quest adventure controls? King's Field with guns?

Exactly...BB still has the "souls" gameplay feel...but the mechanics are a little different. I was expecting something "Soul's like" and that's what I got and I am happy. I don't know what praetor was expecting.

Zep--

praetor

Arcane
Turtle-ing behind shields and armor in Soul's games is a pretty big change compared to the attack and be aggressive tactics you need to use in BB.

Zep--

you say that like it's the only way to play the previous Souls games. protip: it isn't

how the fuck is spending 70$ on whisky "impressive", even here in thirdworldia? it's barely double the price (if that) of the cheapest, entry-level single malts. what does that have to do with anything? it was just to reply to Phanboy over there that it's not that i can't play BB but that i don't want to since there's way too little new shit in it (other than the Cthulhu setting which does indeed make me hard, but the rest is so "meh" that i'd only buy the game on a steam sale in the future)

learn to fucking read for once. it's really not that hard, and if you can afford a ps4 you can probably afford an education

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
10754.jpg
"LOL WHO WOULD WASTE MONEY ON A PS4 LOL. guys i spent 70 dollars on a bottle of shitty cheap whisky that has no value other than me drinking it once."

8273.jpg
"The game deviates from the standard souls a lot though."

[Countless posts in the thread from people who actually played the game mirror this sentiment. Only AngryIdiot seems to have both played it and disliked it.]

10754.jpg
"LEARN 2 READ LOL"

Murk

Arcane
FROM SOFTWARE U HACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jokes aside, they really are. They reuse their assets alllll over -- and I mean beyond just having a 'moonlight greatsword' in (nearly) all of their games.

I don't think that's an inherently bad thing, but it does make people get bored of their stuff. Like, you n praetor are at each others' throats right now and I don't really care to join the pissing contest, but I totally get why he isn't stoked for BB -- I'm not either. Honestly, the only reason I played DS 2 as much as I did was because of online play -- PVP and co-oping with UndetectedButthurt (<3 u bb). The single player became extremely stale after 100 hours and to me BB is very much a single player game. Having seen the pvp of blood born and... I'm not very stoked, and so it's a pass for me. The gameplay does seem different but not in a way I like (and I'm 100% anti-shield in souls games).

Still, to me, BB is very much blood souls, and while it's 'different' in _significant_ ways, it's also p much the same thing. It's like if you look at sand -- up close enough no two grains are the same; far away enough and they aren't even grains, just one big beach. I want to imagine I see it in the intermediate zone, and it's just not compelling because it's not different enough for me to not compare it to DS 1/2 and the things that are different don't seem to be the kind I like (I want it to be slower, not fast -- less healing, not more.)

Now, having said that, I don't care about not having a ps4. Getting one for free (borrowing) isn't hard... but it's more like "why bother?"

For DS 1, I bought the game and would go to my brother's house to use my nephew's xbox360 and play it. I'd stay over on weekends and my nephew n I would just play games and dick around. When it came out on PC, I got it for that and played even more. But with BB I don't even care about the game to bring the system to my house where it doesn't require me to drive 30+ mins like I did with DS1.

Still, I'm sure BB will win sweeping awards and tons of praise -- and I'm sure it'll probably deserve most if not all of it -- but as a person who wanted DS 2 combat (slow, planning, placement) the frantic dodging/dashing action of BB seems like a horrible celebration of the spazzing, twitching type of gameplay that is very popular in DS 2 meta right now -- the kind I absolutely hate.

Also, fedoras. fedoras everywhere.

DragoFireheart

I don't think that's an inherently bad thing, but it does make people get bored of their stuff.

The single player became extremely stale after 100 hours...

I think if it took you 100 hours before you got bored I'd say you got your money's worth and Fromsoft is doing a fine job.

Murk

Arcane
I never said it didn't, but Steam clocks my DS 2 gameplay at 770+ hours. I wouldn't have played the other 670 if not for PVP, co-op, and weird gimmicks that always involved other people (trolling, ganking, etc.)

I'm not gonna tell you that you are wrong for liking BB, but I can totally understand why others don't like it.

I'm more upset that Scholar of the First Sin effectively shattered the userbase for DS2 than anything else, even the dog-shit port that was DS 1 for PC. From fucked up BIG with that, but that's another issue.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

The argument was never that praetor is wrong for disliking BB.

The argument is that his reasons for disliking BB are poor ones.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros,

Can you give me the different endings conditions without telling what happens in the end? I'm not sure I'll have time and will to complete the game once again, so I don't want to screw my walkthrough.
I figured out that this has to do something with saved citizens and/pr umbilical cords, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom