Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So far so good, just got to the nightmare frontier. Only additional thoughts so far:

*I'm just learning the real drawbacks for having too high an insight. Don't know if I'd call it artificial difficulty, but the way they can essentially one-shot you if you have a high insight and the game doesn't really tell you is a bit cheap, though it's fairly easily mitigated by just spending a bunch of it at the special store in the hunter's dream.
*somewhat disappointed by the lack of boss variety. Majority of them are just some variation of a werewolf/bipedal monster. Almost kinda wish I was fighting vampires, because at least that'd add some more variation to it. Though as I'm just starting to fight eldritch abominations now, I expect this to change soon.
*There are occasional dips in performance that are off-putting. There are some weird audio skips in that area of the unseen village you're dragged to if you're captured by those degenerates with bloody sacks, and occasional dips in framerate when you go near any particle/smoke effects. I get this has always been an issue with the souls games, but I'd at least hoped they would try to remedy it with the nextgen entries.
*Holy Jesus even when you're some spider abomination you're always trying to find some way to piss me off Patches you fucking cunt.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Zep Zepo StaticSpine

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/3184gy/chalice_dungeon_resources_faq/

Resources

Chalice Dungeon Flow Chart - http://i.imgur.com/EdYtWGZ.png

Chalice Dungeon Code List - http://goo.gl/uZk9FA

Chalice Dungeon Submission Form - http://goo.gl/5Dk1xC

Preface

I am BRBGTGBOWFLEX and I have spent a ridiculous amount of time in Chalice Dungeons. I wanted to provide answers to common questions and some resources to the community to share what I have learned and to encourage more chalice dungeon exploration.

Q: What are Chalice Dungeons?

A: Chalice Dungeons are procedurally generated instances that contain the hardest encounters and the best loot that the game has to offer. They are a very complete offering with unique art assets, new bosses, and opportunities for Co-Op.

Q: How do I unlock Chalice Dungeons?

A: Three chalices are unlocked by defeating bosses in the main game. The Pthumeru Chalice is obtained by defeating the Blood-Starved Beast, the Ailing Loran Chalice is from Amygdala, and the Isz Chalice is from Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos. All other Chalice and Root Chalices are unlocked within the Chalice Dungeons themselves. See the Chalice Dungeon Flowchart for a complete list.

Q: Huzzah! I have the Chalice! Now how do I get started?

A: There are six Altars near the Messenger Shop in Hunter’s Refuge. You may place a Chalice at any of these, but are limited to having six out at any given time. You will also need ritual materials, they can be found in the game world, at the messenger shop, and at the insight shop. In general, chalice dungeons provide copious amounts of ritual materials.

Q: What is the difference between a Storyline Chalice and a Root Chalice?

A: Chalices without the word Root in them are called Storyline Chalices. They are pre-generated instances that are identical for every player. While they contain great challenges, they do not provide unique loot, and are primarily used to unlock Root Chalices.

Root Chalices are randomly generated instances that are created when a player conducts a Root Chalice ritual. They contain unique weapon variants (Lost and Uncanny), Powerful Runes, and a whole host of other goodies. Your goal is to unlock these chalices and then pillage them for loot (also post your finds to the Chalice Dungeon Code List).

Q: How are Chalice Dungeons laid out or how can I navigate them?

A: Each chalice dungeon is divided into layers and each layer has three parts. Part A, the beginning hallway to the first door at the end of that hallway, Part B, the middle part which contains the lever and the boss hall door, and Part C, the path from the Boss hall to the boss. Part A and Part C can have an additional Bonus Door that leads to treasure! Part B contains the lever which must be pulled to gain access to the Boss. So, an ideal way is to check the first hall for a Bonus door, clear to the treasure if one exists, then move to Part B, find the lever, pull the lever, go to the Boss hall, check for Bonus doors, clear to the treasure, and then face the Layer Boss to proceed to the next Layer and repeat until you reach the end. If you are just hunting for weapons, you can skip the very last boss.

Q: What does Chalice Dungeon Depth mean?

A: Depth is the difficulty level of the Chalice. Each number roughly corresponds with 25% of the game completed. I.E. Depth 1 is the first 25% of the game, Depth 2 is the second 25%, 3 is the third, 4 is the fourth, and 5 is harder than the actual game. However, I feel like around Depth 4 it gets harder than anything in the main game.

The level minimums I would recommend are:

Depth 1: Level 25

Depth 2: Level 35

Depth 3: Level 60

Depth 4: Level 80

Depth 5: Level 100

Q: I’ve done my first chalice, it wasn’t that hard or rewarding.

A: They start out easy and get progressively harder. Also if you come in at a high level, you will be overpowered until you get deeper. Do not give up because the first few are easy, it changes dramatically. Also, be sure you are checking Root chalices- many people do not do the Root chalices, so they do not get loot and get discouraged.

Q: What are Fetid, Rotted, Cursed, and Sinister Rites?

A: Fetid, Rotted, Cursed, and Sinister Rites can be applied to Dungeons to increase their difficulty and rewards. Fetid offerings empower creatures that are already in the instance by giving them a damage buff. Rotted offerings introduce new creatures to the dungeon and raise the possibility of traps. Cursed dungeons cut your HP in half while in the Dungeon and all gems that drop will be Cursed gems. Sinister Dungeons allow others to invade your dungeon. Each of these appears to improve the Quality Level and Drop Rate of gems. Until many more dungeons are added to the list or until revealed by an official guide, we will not know all of their benefits. It should be noted that Cursed Gems with the right stat lines are the best gems in the game and can exponentially increase your character’s power.

Q: What types of gems drop in the different Dungeons?

Pthumeru - Radial Gems

Loran - Crescent Gems

Isz - Triangle Gems

Q: I have found an awesome item in a chalice dungeon, how do I share it with others?

A: First, go to the Altar for that chalice, hit the Square button, and set the Dungeon to Open. Then, submit your Dungeon using the Chalice Dungeon Submission Form. Try to make note of what Layer the items are on as you proceed through Dungeons.

Q: I want to find a Chalice Dungeon that contains a weapon I’m looking for—how can I find it?

A: Check the Chalice Dungeon Code List. To access the dungeon, go to an empty Altar, and select Search by Chalice Glyph. You enter the code there. Remember that the list entirely depends on the community to keep it updated and to provide new dungeons, share and share alike!

Q: I can’t enter the dungeon I want to enter, why?

A: In order to access a Chalice you must place a Chalice of that type first. So if you want to check out an Ailing Loran Root chalice, you have to build one yourself first. For Cursed, Rotted, and Fetid, you need only make one dungeon with the modifier in order to access others.

Q: Do I need the ritual materials and blood echoes to enter other people's chalices?

A: Nope. As long as you have already made that type of chalice once, you can enter others free.

Q: I want to help out the community, what should I do?

A: Run Chalices and post Chalice Dungeon codes with your finds. There are things I would like to assert but cannot because we don’t have information. The more dungeons we get, the more we can help the community. Additionally, if you contribute a significant amount of chalice dungeons and are active, I could use help maintaining and updating the list, so feel free to volunteer!

Also, post additional questions in this thread, I’ll update with any questions that are added. Or feel free to correct me if I’m wrong on any point.

Q: Do Chalices scale off of New Game +?

A: Nope. They are their own thing. Your chalices will all carry over into NG+ and they do not scale or change.

Q: This is ridiculous. They can’t really expect me to do this fight in that room at half HP. This is totally unfair!

A: Yes. Welcome to Chalice Dungeons.

Just saw that there is a list being made by the subreddit peeps, gonna look it over and link to it

yeah..i've read that shit earlier...they skip the part where.."I GOT A ROOT CHALICE...WHERE THE FUCK DO IT GO? HOW DO I USE IT?, WHERE DO I USE IT? DO I REMOVE MY OLD CHALICE AND PUT THE ROOT CHALICE? WHAT KIND OF WIZARDY IS THIS?"

Zep--

Alfons

Prophet
[Sorry (not really, but there isn't really a word for 'drunk and knowingly doing something annoying but not giving a shit') drunk and Roguey, for replying to a post 20 pages back, but isn't that exactly how armour and damage type should work? Maces were used against plate mail because they were a cheap way of negating expensive armour that was effective against great/long swords. Why aim a massive, unwieldy, sword at the gaps when you could just knock the guy to the ground?
Here's the thing, I'm not a fan of putting real world logic into games, but even if that's what you want DkS2 doesn't do that either. Let's say you have 3 types of armor: Mail, plate and none. In the real world, regardless of what weapon you're using all would be most effective against no armor. In DkS1 enemies just had varying resistances. For example, a heavily armored mob would have more slash defense than blunt defense while a fleshy mob would have more blunt defense than slash defense, something along those lines. In DkS2, armored enemies receive more damage than the listed number, what that means is that wearing heavy armor makes the target more vulnerable to blunt damage than if it had no armor. Now if I told you that you had to take a mace to the ribs, would you rather wear plate armor or no armor at all? Real world logic and DkS1 logic say wear the armor, DkS2 logic says don't wear any armor.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
So far so good, just got to the nightmare frontier. Only additional thoughts so far:

*I'm just learning the real drawbacks for having too high an insight. Don't know if I'd call it artificial difficulty, but the way they can essentially one-shot you if you have a high insight and the game doesn't really tell you is a bit cheap, though it's fairly easily mitigated by just spending a bunch of it at the special store in the hunter's dream.

As has been repeated in this thread and other places, this isn't real. You are imagining a placebo. Unless you're referring to frenzy that is, in which case only 1 enemy in nightmare frontier can inflict frenzy and it can be avoided. The only things Insight effects are:

- Reduced Frenzy resistance (your meter is shortened basically)
- A few enemies gain new attacks at certain thresholds. These new attacks aren't particularly that crazy either (example: white mask gravekeeper shoots white balls out of his lantern at 14 insight IIRC)
- There are a couple cosmetic changes that don't affect gameplay at certain thresholds in certain environments.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Here's the video (had to screw with my settings since I haven't touched it in years).

You can actually summon him. I thought it was a glitch at first.

Last edited:

Castanova

Prophet
So, just bought the game, and I have to wonder why Bloodborne fans aren't complaining about the camera more, it's fucking terrible. It's pretty fun though, but I don't like how some of the bosses feel like they have infinite stamina like father whatever his name is, fucking lunge spamming queer. I do gotta say, the game is definitely hard though, I just don't know if it's because of the health bloat or if it's legitimately hard.

Father G is actually much easier than he seems at first, once you learn the game a bit better. He annihilated me on my first playthrough and I barely scraped by. Second playthrough I breezed through him on the first try. In addition to what Drago said, I think this fight also trains you to parry with your gun properly. Previous Souls games teach you to back off from a hyper aggressive boss and pick your spots but in this fight you can create your own spots with visceral attacks.

DragoFireheart

Comical damage levels.

Oil urn + Flamethrower + Rapier-gun + parry = 1,900+ damage.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

As has been repeated in this thread and other places, this isn't real. You are imagining a placebo. Unless you're referring to frenzy that is, in which case only 1 enemy in nightmare frontier can inflict frenzy and it can be avoided. The only things Insight effects are:

- Reduced Frenzy resistance (your meter is shortened basically)
- A few enemies gain new attacks at certain thresholds. These new attacks aren't particularly that crazy either (example: white mask gravekeeper shoots white balls out of his lantern at 14 insight IIRC)
- There are a couple cosmetic changes that don't affect gameplay at certain thresholds in certain environments.
I know what insight does, just didn't know those were the only enemies in the game that did that. Good to know, at least.

DragoFireheart

Phage is lying. Insight does so much more, don't let his trickery deceive you.

The voices in my head told me so and they would never lie to me.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Ha..had a surprise at the central yarnham lamp today...thought it was an insight thing..then I looked at the window by chance...nice touch From.

Zep--

DragoFireheart

When I ran into that dude it was kinda sad.

This game refuses to let you get attached to anything. You could argue the doll but if you're gonna use the doll you've proved my point.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have some strange stuff happening when I try to help someone in coop.

I ring the bell, it searches players, finds one, I get a message, I see the animation like I'm teleporting to the other world, but stay in my own. And the search continues. If I use the gun to quit the small resonant bell ringing I still can't use the lantern to get back to Hunter's Dream. If I try to exit the game through the menu in this case I do not quit, but I teleport to other player's world (!) with "connection lost" message.

Anyone had that?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, just bought the game, and I have to wonder why Bloodborne fans aren't complaining about the camera more, it's fucking terrible. It's pretty fun though, but I don't like how some of the bosses feel like they have infinite stamina like father whatever his name is, fucking lunge spamming queer. I do gotta say, the game is definitely hard though, I just don't know if it's because of the health bloat or if it's legitimately hard.

Father G is actually much easier than he seems at first, once you learn the game a bit better. He annihilated me on my first playthrough and I barely scraped by. Second playthrough I breezed through him on the first try. In addition to what Drago said, I think this fight also trains you to parry with your gun properly. Previous Souls games teach you to back off from a hyper aggressive boss and pick your spots but in this fight you can create your own spots with visceral attacks.
Played BB at a friends house. Father G strat was run till you get to the roof where the chick is with the brooch, turn around, wait for him to drop, cheap shot him while he recovers. Repeat after you drop off the roof. Get jogging again.

DragoFireheart

I have some strange stuff happening when I try to help someone in coop.

I ring the bell, it searches players, finds one, I get a message, I see the animation like I'm teleporting to the other world, but stay in my own. And the search continues. If I use the gun to quit the small resonant bell ringing I still can't use the lantern to get back to Hunter's Dream. If I try to exit the game through the menu in this case I do not quit, but I teleport to other player's world (!) with "connection lost" message.

Anyone had that?

Haven't had this happen.

Fromsoft netcode strikes again!

DragoFireheart

Using the Lantern reduces your Stamina regen:

Time to check everything that you can wear/carry now for stamina reduction.

EDIT:

Patch 1.03 coming out.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/04/14/bloodborne-sells-one-million-first-1-03-details/

Bloodborne Sells One Million, First 1.03 Details
aaa.jpg
+ Posted by Masaaki Yamagiwa on Apr 14, 2015 // Producer, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio

We are amazed and very grateful for the way in which the community has embraced Bloodborne. As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Bloodborne has now sold through over one million copies worldwide. Thank you to everyone who has supported the project!

We also wanted to provide more information regarding the next patch for Bloodborne.

As we confirmed previously, the 1.03 update seeks to reduce certain load times in addition to performance optimizations. The patch also resolves an issue that resulted in abnormal game behavior after many continuous hours of play. Additional fixes will be included as well.

The team is currently working towards a global release of the 1.03 patch before the end of the month. We will try to provide more specific timing as soon as we are able.

We’re continuing to monitor popular communities and forums for feedback, in addition to the comments below, so please share any other issues or questions you may have.

Please note: online play will need to be disabled for a short period of time to facilitate server-side updates. In this case, and in the case of any future server maintenance downtime, it has been determined that starting at 1am PT on a non-Friday weeknight will disrupt the fewest players. We will target this time for any necessary future server maintenance downtime, which will only last a couple hours in each instance.

On behalf of the Bloodborne development team, thank you for your ongoing passion and support.

Network Issues for Certain users
If you are having trouble accessing online features, please check your NAT type and ensure proper ports on your network are open.

How to check your NAT type

Please check your NAT type by following these steps on your PS4.

PS4 Home Menu -> Settings -> Network -> View Connection Status -> NAT Type

Check whether it is Type 1, Type 2 or Type 3.

Online functionality may be restricted when playing under NAT Type 3.

Opening ports / Port Forwarding

The following shows the ports necessary to connect to PSN as well as Bloodborne’s online servers. If you are having trouble connecting, please ensure that these ports are open on your network hub.

Port number required to connect to PSN:

• TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, 8080
  • UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658
Port number required to connect Bloodborne’s online servers:

• TCP: 18671, 20443
  • UDP:9305, 9306
Please check your network hub or contact your provider for more details.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros, need help

1. Can I get back to the place where snatcher took me? I found a lantern there and teleported back to hunter's dream and the place did not appear on the lantern list and death from snatcher doesn't trigger the teleportation there.

2. Where do I go from the cathedral ward after getting the symbol?:
- There is some building with a wolf lady boss.
- Some forest to left of it where I got hot by a dozen on riflemen.
- Some place to the right where I was one-shot by some huge mysterious extraterrestrial faget.

DragoFireheart

StaticSpine

1. Check the third tombstone from the right of the one you usually use.

2. Left and right both lead to optional areas. Path to right isn't open yet.

Wolf Lady is required boss to continue main game. I suggest a +6 weapon. Continue to explore.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I can't. Defeat. Rom.

Maybe I'm just too entranced in the music (one of the best boss scores I've heard) but I've tried like 10 times already and came aggravatingly close twice.

What a design, what a sequence. Still wanna chuck the controller.

Never get married.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Brayko, I used the brotip from Zep a few pages ago, after I ragequit on Rom:

Phase 1: Kill all the spiders one by one and hurt Rom as much as possible (continue hitting him when he starts his disappearing animation).

Phases 2&3: For the meteor shower. Look at Rom at all times. After his animation to summon the shower, start rolling towards him AT THE EXACT MOMENT he backs up to his original position. This is the only way that the meteors don't hit you (most of the times). Find a crack, get him a couple of hits, retreat, don't get greedy. He'll die eventually.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
I can't. Defeat. Rom.

Maybe I'm just too entranced in the music (one of the best boss scores I've heard) but I've tried like 10 times already and came aggravatingly close twice.

What a design, what a sequence. Still wanna chuck the controller.

Never get married.
Rom's weak to fire/bolt attacks, so go with either Ludwig's holy blade w/fire or bold paper or Tonitrus, both preferably upgraded to +5 or higher if possible. You want to kill all the spiders in his first stage and deal as much damage to him as possible before he teleports away and starts using his ice spells. Try getting him to around 66% health here (easier for Tonitrus if you just go with weak attacks). Easiest way to dodge his skyward ice attack is to run at him at a left-leaning slant, that way most of them will just pass over you (though if you're not perfect you'll probably wind up getting hit by one). Try to find openings in his flanks where there are less spiders, which does happen fairly often. Once you get close to him, you'll want to try and continuously bait him into using his AoE spells over his skyward ice attack, because at least the former are easily dodgeable. Every time he does one, quickly run in and hit him once or twice, then back away.

Also found not locking on made the fight much easier. The game has the same issue as the Souls games in that the lock-on isn't really designed to deal with mobs, especially ones below your eyeline. So if you're not looking dead-on at Rom when you try to lock on to him you'll wind up fucking up your perspective by instead locking on to one of the spiders.

Now Martyr Logarius, he's a right cunt of a boss. Last time I got close to beating him his AI shat itself and kept fucking spamming that goddamn sword-storm attack every time I managed to stop it. It was annoying as hell.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom