Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I want to have a Skill+Arcane build but I'm yet to find a suitable weapon. I'm at the point in which I got my starting Cane to +7 (i.e. I'm starting to find "chunks"). Have I missed something? (I.e. is there a better skill - based weapon somewhere you can get before Rom? Only "yes" or "no" answers plz.)

I have Skill at 25 and only now have I started increasing Arcane; it's now at 15. The Beast Roar I find not too useful (small range), but the SNAIL POWA gimmick is fun. I'm wondering whether to increase Arc to 18 so that I could 'partially summon Ebrietas'; worth it?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Really loving my arcane build.

Ask me anything related to it.
How do you start it? Takes time for you to get something related to arcane in the game. Which weapon do you use, wich stats upgrade first etc? I personally upgraded arcane, but first i got all strengh and health.

Start with any starter weapon (Cleaver is best choice). Get Saw Spear, beat Blood Straved Beast, get Fire Gem (8.4% waning), Beat first chalice dungeon boss, farm for a couple cursed fire radial gems (Either -kin damage or increase stamina usage for curse effect). Fire Saw Spear.

Then get Tonitrus. Now have Fire and Lightning weapon.

Go to Nightmare Frontier and get a bolt waning gem for Tonitrus.

Play through game, beat Rom, go through next area, get the 16% waning bolt gem.

Go to Nightmare Menis, get the 18% arcane gem droplet. Turn Hunter Axe or Threaded Cane or get Lost Saw Cleaver and use that as my arcane weapon.

You don't need the arcane element until you start doing chalice dungeons. All you need for main story is fire and bolt weapon.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Interesting. And about the arcane items, what did you think about it? They are worth it? I use the magic boost on weapon, but thats it.

DragoFireheart

Interesting. And about the arcane items, what did you think about it? They are worth it? I use the magic boost on weapon, but thats it.

They are tools, not a main source of damage like in the Souls game.

Execution Gloves seem to have the best damage-to-bullet cost ratio. Use at mid range and for zoning hunters.

Auger of Ebrietas is a nice source of easy knockdowns and only costs 1 bullet. Cheaper than Beast Roar. I like to use it at the end of a combo.

A Call Beyond is basically a mortar spell. Use it in a fairly wide open area and at a long distance against either large enemies or clustered enemies.

Tiny Tonitrus is a kin frying tool and is useful in narrow hallways.

Old Hunter's Bone is a great way to pressure other players in PvP.

Ivan

Arcane
Just started playing yesterday. I'm finding the bosses underwhelming and a lot of them feel like variations of Sif. Also, I'm not sure how the stagger works in this game, but it's annoying chaining attacks only for the enemy to brush them off and counterattack. I'm at the part where you fight some Spider Boss thing and I've got the countering down. It feels good. Exploring is awesome, the atmosphere and details are great, I just wish there were more color to it.

Started doing the Chalice Dungeons and I'm getting kinda bored of the same layouts. I started the new Hintersomething so hopefully that changes things up.

Fucking finally killed Rom. My advice, stay close, ignore the baby spiders and go for the tail. If you stay close he doesn't do the FUCK YOU SCREEN NUKE attack.

Last edited:

Sacibengala

Prophet
Unfortunately the layouts of the chalice not change too much. Some effects changes and sometime they put one or two new enviroment to mask the boredom. But that is it. The staggering thing I believe is made in three forms. One is using the weapon (firearm) in the exact moment the enemy is arming an attack, two is doing massive damage, like in The bossfights, and three is attacking specific parts in battle, like legs or head. And for the finalization, attack with the R1 in front of the enemy. All that Are basic my experiences with the bosses.

Ivan

Arcane
This is fucking horseshit. How do you dodge Daughter of Chao's lazer beams of rape? I get her like down to like 1/3 of her health and NOPE lazer beam to death.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

Defiled Watch Dog...

Just tried three times to beat him. Got him to about 2/3 health then got one-shotted.

Oh boy this will be a fun boss fight.

Ivan

Arcane
I don't know if this was the point but the combat here seems very sloppy. Combat in Souls was more elegant, i.e., you knew that your attacks would stagger the enemies without worrying that they would break your combo. I guess here's you're meant to not chain combos together but get a hit in, dodge around one more hit, dodge around 1 hit, back up and maybe do a charge attack. It just pisses me off when I'm chaining a combo, I'm at full health, and an asshole just decides to not override my attack and chain a combo of his own to my death.

@ Cainhurst Castle cuz Daughter of Chaos made me ragequit.

Also, is it just me or are you guys seeing 0 summon signs. I don't even know what they look like in this game. Thus far I've solod all the bosses cuz I couldn't even find friendly npc's signs.

Sacibengala

Prophet
There isn't summon signs in this game. You use bells. When you get enough insight (i think its 10), you go to the bathkids 2 in hunters dream (the door at the left of the hunter worktable) and buy the bells from them, if i'm not mistaken.
The large blue one cries for help, but consumes 1 insight each time you use it.
The small blue one offers help, consume nothing at usage.
The small red one try to invade other players world. Onsumes nothing.

PS: There is a way to invoke npcs with the bell, i saw one guy invokes father Gascoigne !!! But i do not have a clue how he did it.

Sacibengala

Prophet
The large blue one cries for help, but consumes 1 insight each time you use it.
Do you lose the insight when ringing the bell or when the summon actually appears in your world? If it's the former that's not going to work very well with From's usual network code...
It's the former.
Yeap, the former, but don't care about the insight, its plenty ways to get through out the game. I finished it with 99 helping others and getting it from other means. Never used the madman knowledge though.
And you can ring the bell at the start of the area, no need to wait until the boss, its more the way of demon souls than dark souls, where you couldnt go outside the area at the risk of the sign disappear. In bloodborne the bell keeps ringing until you die or move by teleport.

Andnjord

Arcane
Ok, thanks for the answers bro. So it's more like a semi-permanent status effect, good. I don't even have a PS4 yet, one interesting game isn't enough to justify its purchase yet (and at the rate it's going I will probably buy one when they release Bloodborne 3), but that I've spent so many hours on the Souls series that I can't help myself but read this thread :negative:

Ivan

Arcane
Finished it. At first, I didn't like the loose feel of the combat, compared to the more "solid" feel of the Souls games, but it grows on you. There's a greater emphasis of dancing around your enemies and chaining smaller attacks. R1 spamming will get you flanked, fast. Bosses were a bit hit or miss for me. Too many were Sif sized, making locking on to them a pain in the ass since the camera isn't well suited for that.

I loved the world, the cohesion. It's a far cry from DaS2's fire level, forest level mundanity. I loved the final boss fight.

Some things I would change:

restore health vials/bullets from lanterns
travel from lantern to lantern
make hunter's mark teleport you back to Hunter's Dream not last lantern

While Dark Souls 1 had it serious low moments, particularly toward the end, Bloodborne only gets more awesome as you go on. It's definitely the most nervewracking and horrifying (Latria ish) of the series. Now gonna make a new hunter.

DragoFireheart

Ivan now you can go and try Chalice dungeons.

If you liked Diablo 2 RNG style dungeons in any context you'll like Chalice Dungeons.

Ivan

Arcane
I tried them for a long while but I eventually got bored of seeing the same layouts. I may return to them as soon as I finish my run with a new build.

I keep forgetting to try the music box on the Hunter.

DragoFireheart

I tried them for a long while but I eventually got bored of seeing the same layouts. I may return to them as soon as I finish my run with a new build.

I keep forgetting to try the music box on the Hunter.

Once you get to Depth 4 the fun begins.

Depth 1-3 are pretty banal. They should have cut out Hithertombs completely, utter waste of time beyond Short Root Chalice.

DragoFireheart

Hunter Axe is amazing.

All three starter weapons are viable from Cleric Beast to the final boss.

I have one more main chalice left: Pthumeru Iihyll.

Three more bosses before Yharnam Stone then I'll have a level 62 with access to all the gem goodies.

Ivan

Arcane
Guys, I found the easy mode! It's called Arcane build. I just have the Hunter Axe with the Arcane gem and it rapes most bosses. Rom giving you a hard time? Arcane. Paarl pissing you off? Arcane. Breezing thru the campaign second time around. I went all the way around to Old Yharnam so I could talk to the minigun guy. Not worth it. Just kill the fag. Gotta say, Arcane dumbs down the game and should definitely not be the first build you try. It cheapens most of the bosses IMO.

DragoFireheart Is Eileen's target at the Grand Cathedral the toughest guy in the game? That guy hits hard and his gun is worse.

Question: Ludwig's Sword does more damage than the Mace because the Mace splits its damage between physical and bolt, whereas Ludwig's channels all of its damage to one type (fire, bolt, arcane, physical)?

Ebreitas died on my first try with electro Ludwig. EZ MODE ENGAGED

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I have a question about shooting. I want to practice staggering enemies, but it seems the only ones I'm able to stagger are the medium sized humanoids which I can dispense with easily anyway, or the few ultra-fast hunters (but, as said, there are just a few). Is it even worth it to try to stagger bigger / multi-limbed enemies with a gun?

Does your 'stagger potential' vary with Blood damage dealt?

Ivan

Arcane
I've been able to stagger anything that's your size (even ogres). I know that you can stagger some bosses, such as the Bloodthirsty beast. Staggering is useful when fighting blue eyed werewolves

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom