Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
By cooping Ludwig, you threw away one of the best bosses in the entire series.

This. I'll never understand how can people coop Soulsbornes on their first run.

I agree. Coop is fun, but is a shame to miss the good handcraft in Souls levels and bosses the first time.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never managed to beat Ludwig solo. Him and Midir are the only bosses in the entire series I haven't managed to beat solo. :negative:

I had serious issues with Orphan and Gael. I co-op'd Gael and just said fuck it with Orphan. I'll prob go and beat my head against Orphan again at some point, but don't really feel like playing through 3 again to bother with Gael.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I activated coop on an optional boss in my first run because I was getting my underleveled and underequipped ass kicked, but after seeing the anon guy gut punching the boss and killing it in less than a minute while I sat in the sidelines I never used co-op ever again. It dawned on me that I had literally forfeited part of the game's enjoyable content.

I understood, maybe badly, that Sully haven't even tried to beat Ludwig solo. If so, that's what I don't get.

Obviously if you can't beat a boss it's fine to co-op. That's what's sunbros are basically for. I co-opped Sulyvahn, Princes and Nameless on my first run coz I couldn't beat them and honestly I was getting too tired of DS3 by that point to give them more than 5 attempts. It was just "oh, another fast knight, aight, a few attempts and then co-op".

I don't know how to feel about co-op really, I guess it's more enjoyable if you have a partner with similar level and playtime, which is kind of a problem if you're not playing alongside a friend with the match co-op password feature. It's not very fun when the game matches you with a random guy that basically says "git gud lmao!" in quick-boss-killing language (taking away the opportunity to try the boss yourself again until new game +).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
God knows I raged against the Orphan, but I did him. Twice even. One of my favorite bosses. Gael is just bullshit. I just hid behind a tower shield and said fuck it. I never want to do that fight again.

Well, if you got those guys, you should be able to do Midir and Ludwig. I didn't have too many problems with Ludwig, so I'm not sure what to suggest.

Midir
Basically it's a lot easier if you cheese it with pestilent mercury because his hp pool is bullshit. Also don't get too far away for too long or he does his hyper laser crap which you can avoid but it can really screw you if you're positioned wrong and that's basically a OHKO.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
God knows I raged against the Orphan, but I did him. Twice even. One of my favorite bosses. Gael is just bullshit. I just hid behind a tower shield and said fuck it. I never want to do that fight again.

Sadly, according to the hardcore community Gael would be the perfect boss. That's exactly the archetype the "every boss that's not a fast knight is a shitty gimmick miyaaah" crowd loves.

I don't think I've even attempted Gael more than twice. I was so fucking tired of fast knights at the end of the last DLC I just summoned a sunbro after the first attempt. Not only it's a bullshit fight but also boring. The boss is just as drab and uninspiring as most of the rest of the game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw I've watched ENB's Demon's Souls 100% series recently and again was left in awe how amazing DeS' bosses are. There's only one duel with a fast humanoid (Allant) that would become cancer later. In DeS FromSoft didn't listen to edgelords yet and strongly prefered vibe and atmosphere.

My favourite boss in the entire series must be the Storm King. The edgelords would say "miyaaah gimmick" but fuck them, the fight is simply awesome.

Or Maiden Astraea - wonderful music, beautiful lore, wonderful vibe. And Garl Vinland is just standing there, guarding his lady, and only smacks you if you come closer. Fucking perfect.

Or Tower Knight. That first time you walk through that fog gate and see that steel monstrosity and the army of archers....the feeling of awe and the moist in your shat pants will stay with you for years. The boss is actually easy to beat once you figure him out but does every boss has to be Gael-difficult? What about visual design? What about memorability?

I'd much prefer even bad gimmick bosses like the Bed of Chaos or Wolnir to another Allant archetype.

Last edited:

Villagkouras

Arcane
Or Maiden Astraea - wonderful music, beautiful lore, wonderful vibe. And Garl Vinland is just standing there, guarding his lady, and only smacks you if you come closer. Fucking perfect.

Absolutely agree on this one. One of the most memorable boss fights ever.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Tower of Latria remains the most atmospheric area in any of the Souls games.

tumblr_ob37slq7AY1tt3wuco1_500.gif

tumblr_nz2yl75oPs1unxlj8o5_r1_500.png

tumblr_mfnhviQNI51r7lz5wo1_500.gif

tumblr_mfnhviQNI51r7lz5wo2_500.gif

tumblr_n6jma5IsYb1qep3h6o6_500.gif

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Latria is classic obviously but all the subsequent games (excluding DS3) had a few wonderfully atmospheric levels. My personal favourite still remains Ash Lake, I just can't get enough of it, but Anor Londo and Blighttown are amazing too, Amana, Aerie and Shulva from DS2 are superb and BB is stunning in it's entirety. As for BB I'd prefer more colour variety than just grey and black but the art itself is impeccable. I cannot fucking wait to see From's next project.

sullynathan

Arcane
This. I'll never understand how can people coop Soulsbornes on their first run.
more like my 5th time playing the game so by this point I just play multiplayer as much as possible. Plus I didn't evern know that ludwig was there anyway

By cooping Ludwig, you threw away one of the best bosses in the entire series.
I'll fight him in NG+. NG+ in the post-Demon Souls games are more balanced

I've watched ENB's Demon's Souls 100% series recently
So you haven't even played Demon's souls but you think it's bosses are amazing? Perhaps you should actually play Demon's Souls

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
I agree that Demon's Souls bosses were the best. Who gives a fuck that they're gimmicky. It fit the world and emphasized the fact that it's not about just "gidding gud".

At the end of the day, you were just a puny, insignificant faggot who couldn't even take Storm King and Dragon God on man-o-man. And it was all the better for it.

sullynathan

Arcane
Demon's Souls wank is repulsive especially from people who haven't even played Demon's Souls. Dark Souls 2 is better than Demon's Souls.

who couldn't even take Storm King and Dragon God on man-o-man
The storm king isn't a bad boss because you can't fight it one on one, it's bad because it has shit hit detection, really repetitive and low health on NG then in NG+ it has so much health that you'll spend 10 minutes waiting for it to fly in front of you just to get a hit on it.

Declinator

Arbiter
So you haven't even played Demon's souls but you think it's bosses are amazing? Perhaps you should actually play Demon's Souls
Cvv didn't actually say he hasn't played it:
Btw I've watched ENB's Demon's Souls 100% series recently and again was left in awe how amazing DeS' bosses are.
That he said "again" means he was left in awe before. Possibly while playing the game.

Btw I've watched ENB's Demon's Souls 100% series recently and again was left in awe how amazing DeS' bosses are. There's only one duel with a fast humanoid (Allant) that would become cancer later. In DeS FromSoft didn't listen to edgelords yet and strongly prefered vibe and atmosphere.

My favourite boss in the entire series must be the Storm King. The edgelords would say "miyaaah gimmick" but fuck them, the fight is simply awesome.
They don't like what I like so they must be edgelords?
Or Tower Knight. That first time you walk through that fog gate and see that steel monstrosity and the army of archers....the feeling of awe and the moist in your shat pants will stay with you for years. The boss is actually easy to beat once you figure him out but does every boss has to be Gael-difficult? What about visual design? What about memorability?
For me it isn't all about difficulty in itself. If you crank up Tower Knight's HP to nigh infinity and make the archers immortal it would still be a shitty fight even if it would be ridiculously difficult. In fact it would become even shittier. The difficulty simply happens to often go hand in hand with what I like in boss fights which is the beauty you can find in timing difficult to time things right. Especially if you have to chain multiple correct timings together. Dodging Artorias' triple flip sword slams brings a smile to my face. It is a similar joy to the one I get from driving around a race track and timing my turns well so they flow together beautifully.

In the face of that how awe-inspiring the boss is to look at is eclipsed so badly that is of relatively little value. That said, I did like Storm King the best out of all the gimmick bosses in the series.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That he said "again" means he was left in awe before. Possibly while playing the game.

I've said before I haven't played it as I've never owned any console much less a PS3.
Tho saying I cannot like a game I haven't played is crushingly retarded, I hope that's obvious.

They don't like what I like so they must be edgelords?

It's not about liking or disliking. If they simply preferred a certain boss type that would be totally fine, obviously. Problem is their view is "the only legitimate boss is the Allant archetype, everything else is gimmick and must be mocked, shat on, downvoted and lobbied against". And what you get when FromSoft listens too much to these people is DS3.

Silva

Arcane
Hey bros, if you like what Soulsborne does with themes and world-building, you should take a look at Automata. It's amazing. I've just finished it, and I think Souls fans who appreciate the more subjective aspects of the series should take a look.

Just saying. ;)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I saw one Nier playthrough and it's way too anime for my taste.

I see a lot of tips like "if you liked Dark Souls check out this anime game". Problem is I like Dark Souls world and art because it's NOT anime. A couple of Ghibli movies are among my all time favorites but generally I can't stand anime, sadly.

Silva

Arcane
Well, I would never play Dark Souls by watching a playthrough because I hate fantasy and anything that has dragons. And here I am.

But yeah, if you already saw what's the game is about and didn't like it, thats fair. Like, you know, giving a proper chance to Ludwig instead of co-oping it on sight like certain codexers do. :roll:

lol at you cucks who couldnt even beat Gael and prefer gimmick shit like storm cuck or maiden asstrea:lol: Gael, Artorias, O&S, Raime, Gundyr, Alonne, NK, Twin Faggs, Sihn, Friede, Manus, Ivory King etc are the highlights of the Souls games and prefering muhh feeling and atmosphere over gameplay is fucking decline. Big Knights with Swords are best fights in 3rd person action games. Just fucking deal with it.
if there is no challenge in beating boss than there is no reason at all for him to be put at the end of level. The whole 5-3 in Demons could be a fucking cutscene with QTE where you either press f to pay her respects or press d to give her a dick and i wouldnt see a difference.
You want to have more gimmick boss fights? Cool make them more like Old Hero or Executioner Charriot and less one trick ponnies like Storm Cuck or Faggs Idol.

And stop sperging out over Latria. Its cool the first time you play it but after that its the most overrated level in Souls games. Find the keys, avoid mindflyers bullshit paralazying attack and kill 3 shitty bosses :roll:

Hyperion

Arcane
lol at you cucks who couldnt even beat Gael and prefer gimmick shit like storm cuck or maiden asstrea:lol: Gael, Artorias, O&S, Raime, Gundyr, Alonne, NK, Twin Faggs, Sihn, Friede, Manus, Ivory King etc are the highlights of the Souls games and prefering muhh feeling and atmosphere over gameplay is fucking decline. Big Knights with Swords are best fights in 3rd person action games. Just fucking deal with it.
if there is no challenge in beating boss than there is no reason at all for him to be put at the end of level. The whole 5-3 in Demons could be a fucking cutscene with QTE where you either press f to pay her respects or press d to give her a dick and i wouldnt see a difference.
You want to have more gimmick boss fights? Cool make them more like Old Hero or Executioner Charriot and less one trick ponnies like Storm Cuck or Faggs Idol.

And stop sperging out over Latria. Its cool the first time you play it but after that its the most overrated level in Souls games. Find the keys, avoid mindflyers bullshit paralazying attack and kill 3 shitty bosses :roll:
You understand you can have both types in a game, right? And having some of the 'atmospheric' bosses to counteract the exhausting gameplay style of the boss fights you're talking about is what makes Souls games enjoyable on a first playthrough. You fully expect to get your shit pushed in by a boss, only for it to instead to leave you with a different kind of "WTF?!" moment, and Maiden Astraea is probably the pinnacle of that feeling, largely due to the wonderful song playing while you do it. It was also unique in giving you two sets of dialogue depending on which of the two you killed in the room first.

Fool's Idol was a mediocre boss by itself, but punished those who either rushed to her room, made a wrong turn, or those who simply don't properly explore areas. And yes, Latria loses its appeal after the first time, as does every other area in the entire game. But, it's that initial reaction to a level, your first time going through where you're hesitant because of those bell ringing fuckers, timing your rolls to the arrow traps, getting grabbed by something jumping out of an iron maiden, and screams in the background that all come together for an unforgettable experience first foray.

Now compare that to Dark Souls 3, where they already fucked with the mechanics so that it's a frustrating amalgam of both Souls and Bloodborne, but inferior to both, then made just about every single boss have bloated HP, multiple stages, and were just rollfests till you get 2 swings in (1 if you're using a great weapon) and you go back to defense mode. Most of the bosses weren't terribly difficult, they were just drawn out and the game got...boring, usually not long after the Dancer, which is one of the better boss fights, because her poise can be broken frequently, she's challenging, and is one of the few bosses you can beat by blocking, dodging, or just backing away from a lot of her attacks.

Champ Gundyr sucks btw. Dude is another boss you just circle strafe, roll, and punish. That isn't a fantastic fight. Friede I'm torn on. It was a CLEAR ripoff of Laurence and Maria, was the biggest showcase of how they fucked the Souls combat system because they told Heavy Weapons to go fuck themselves with their nearly non-existent attack windows, and the 3 stage fight was clearly put in just to frustrate you.

prefering muhh feeling and atmosphere over gameplay is fucking decline

Check out The Surge. It has all the "gameplay" you could eat and zero feeling or atmosphere or anything else, really. You'll love it.
fuck off retard. surge's shitty gameplay with subpar level design and clunky combat doesnt even come close to Souls feeling. Hang yourself from doorknob. You'll love it.

You understand you can have both types in a game, right? And having some of the 'atmospheric' bosses to counteract the exhausting gameplay style of the boss fights you're talking about is what makes Souls games enjoyable on a first playthrough. You fully expect to get your shit pushed in by a boss, only for it to instead to leave you with a different kind of "WTF?!" moment, and Maiden Astraea is probably the pinnacle of that feeling, largely due to the wonderful song playing while you do it. It was also unique in giving you two sets of dialogue depending on which of the two you killed in the room first.

LOL. You know what is interesting uniqueness in Souls games? Second phase against O&S depending on who i killed first not two lines of dialogue from nun with brain tumor and her gayass knight. Or Raime changing his phases depending on your equipment.

Fool's Idol was a mediocre boss by itself, but punished those who either rushed to her room, made a wrong turn, or those who simply don't properly explore areas. And yes, Latria loses its appeal after the first time, as does every other area in the entire game. But, it's that initial reaction to a level, your first time going through where you're hesitant because of those bell ringing fuckers, timing your rolls to the arrow traps, getting grabbed by something jumping out of an iron maiden, and screams in the background that all come together for an unforgettable experience first foray.

Now compare that to Dark Souls 3, where they already fucked with the mechanics so that it's a frustrating amalgam of both Souls and Bloodborne, but inferior to both, then made just about every single boss have bloated HP, multiple stages, and were just rollfests till you get 2 swings in (1 if you're using a great weapon) and you go back to defense mode. Most of the bosses weren't terribly difficult, they were just drawn out and the game got...boring, usually not long after the Dancer, which is one of the better boss fights, because her poise can be broken frequently, she's challenging, and is one of the few bosses you can beat by blocking, dodging, or just backing away from a lot of her attacks.

Champ Gundyr sucks btw. Dude is another boss you just circle strafe, roll, and punish. That isn't a fantastic fight. Friede I'm torn on. It was a CLEAR ripoff of Laurence and Maria, was the biggest showcase of how they fucked the Souls combat system because they told Heavy Weapons to go fuck themselves with their nearly non-existent attack windows, and the 3 stage fight was clearly put in just to frustrate you.

Not every area loses its appeal after the first time. The run from Firelink Shrine through Undead Burg-Undead Parish-Depths- Blightown - back to Firelink is fucking awesome even on your 10th run. Because it doesnt rely on your feelings and catchy song. Sunken City is better level than Latria so is Ringed City itself with the latter being great not only from gameplay perspective but also interesting lore.

You can sum up every boss in Souls game with circle strafe and roll/pary/hide behind greatshield. Gundyr, Manus, Artorias, Raime, Pontiff, Gael anyone even fucking Orphan. Yet if you decide not to parry Gundyr but grab a two-hander and time your rolls its intense as fuck fight for average Souls player. Same with Gael or Gwyn. It is self imposed restriction and its fun even for players having couple hundred hours in Souls games. You cant do that with Fagg Idol or Dragons God and those "puzzle" fights are shit on every next playthrough. Fighting Raime doesnt get boring even on ng+7 cause motherfucker can put some pressure on you.

The only boss with bloated HP in DS3 is Demon Prince and fight itself is good. It is probably the best demon/beast fight you have in Souls games next to Flamelurker. It is certainly better than any beast fights you have in Bloodborne where you mostly fight camera.

Dont know what is wrong with you but i beat Friede on my first run with astora greatsword.It took about 7-8 tries cause i am rather average Souls player but if you give up on boss on 5th death like some fags in this thread than you just need to git gud or play some other games instead of whining about "not going to put up with that shit" or "not having time for that".

Farmed sunlight medals on Friede with Hollowslayer greatsword/Cathedral and Profaned. All of them viable if you work your timing and spacing instead of spamming R1 and rolling like a retard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom