Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderlands 3

Codex Year of the Donut
Slag is one of the main reasons I preferred TPS over BL2.

cw8

Cipher
Yeah, slag was stupid, and they made the balance complete nonsense because if it. Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode in Borderlands 2 is basically unplayable because you need slag if you actually want to deal some damage, and having to switch to a shitty pistol to apply slag and switch to another gun every few seconds is annoying as hell.

Played till the OP levels. Didn't bother with slag. Just farm some of the legendaries or really unique items like Bee Shield, Unkempt Harold, a blue tier SMG called Sandhawk(u can take down raidbosses in secs with this and bee shield), Conference Call, Norfleet, Lyuda.

Can't wait to buy it for $10 with all the DLC included and then never play it, just like the last two!

Borderlands 1 is actually quite good.

Borderlands 1 is pretty chill. Its not as obnoxious and in your face as the later games, and some of the jokes are actually pretty good.
The mechanics are a bit clunky, but at least the loot and leveling system is good, with enemies dropping what they wield and weapons still being viable even if they are 10 levels or so underleveled, as opposed to Borderlands 2 where everything is a random drop and weapons quickly become useless after like 2 levels.

It's really clunky, which is why I could never get into it. It's weird, because I don't remember their Brothers in Arms games being as clunky as the first Borderlands was when that came out.

The whole thing was also just really generic looking. Outside of the robot and the enemy on the box the designs were pretty generic, (especially for the hero characters) and it wasn't even particularly good looking. I know Borderlands isn't cel shaded, but the comic book look it's shooting for is very cel shading like, and I'd say even some of the cel shaded games of the era before looked better.

The first is however not as obnoxious as it would become.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, slag was stupid, and they made the balance complete nonsense because if it. Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode in Borderlands 2 is basically unplayable because you need slag if you actually want to deal some damage, and having to switch to a shitty pistol to apply slag and switch to another gun every few seconds is annoying as hell.

Played till the OP levels. Didn't bother with slag. Just farm some of the legendaries or really unique items like Bee Shield, Unkempt Harold, a blue tier SMG called Sandhawk(u can take down raidbosses in secs with this and bee shield), Conference Call, Norfleet, Lyuda.

Oh joy, so instead of using a tedious mechanic you tediously farm for specific weapon combinations. How riveting.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Borderlands 1 is pretty chill. Its not as obnoxious and in your face as the later games, and some of the jokes are actually pretty good.
The mechanics are a bit clunky, but at least the loot and leveling system is good, with enemies dropping what they wield and weapons still being viable even if they are 10 levels or so underleveled, as opposed to Borderlands 2 where everything is a random drop and weapons quickly become useless after like 2 levels.
The atmosphere in Borderlands 1 is miles better before they went full derp-face-meme with Anthony Cuck Burch. Sadly, from what I've read, it continues into Borderlands 3. As you note, 1 does have humor but it is understated and the focus is more on a space-western/frontier vibe. And, yes, guns were better designed in 1 because if you found something good it would actually last for several levels versus the constant need to upgrade your weapons in 2 (probably because they put that stupid golden key chest in town). Would love to have Borderlands 1 writing/atmosphere and weapon design with the more advanced skill trees of the sequels.

To anyone that hasn't played it, the remastered edition of Borderlands 1 is very much worth playing. They even added a few legendary weapons.

cw8

Cipher
Oh joy, so instead of using a tedious mechanic you tediously farm for specific weapon combinations. How riveting.

You don't need specific weapon combinations. Most equal level legendaries and even some blue or purple tiered weapons should tear normal mobs a new ass in the game, not to mention the pink ones or the pearlescent ones. Unless you're talking about raid bosses which will require specific weapon combinations to take down solo, otherwise you fight them like you would a raid boss: with other people. It's essentially a loot based game so you're kinda required to farm for stuff like you would in any other loot based game.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.change.org/p/gearbox-software-save-maya-borderlands-3

Save Maya.

We want GearBox to ret-con their god damned shit story.
Man, I got curious when I saw some video on youtube about how the Borderlands 3 story was awful, my God, how a human being could write that humongous pile of shiet? It is so bad that on the youtube comments, even Gearbox fanboys were having orgasms of imagining murdering the new characters Gearbox made.

Maya was probably killed off because some feminist employee saw her as a object of a male gaze and had her replace with more inclusive character.

OgsJoig.jpg

m8j2Xwq.jpeg

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
https://www.change.org/p/gearbox-software-save-maya-borderlands-3

Save Maya.

We want GearBox to ret-con their god damned shit story.
Man, I got curious when I saw some video on youtube about how the Borderlands 3 story was awful, my God, how a human being could write that humongous pile of shiet? It is so bad that on the youtube comments, even Gearbox fanboys were having orgasms of imagining murdering the new characters Gearbox made.

Maya was probably killed off because some feminist employee saw her as a object of a male gaze and had her replace with more inclusive character.

OgsJoig.jpg

m8j2Xwq.jpeg

Amara doesn't replace Maya. Ava replaced Maya, and she is a little white girl. I am pretty sure this has to do with fucking shit writing more than anything.

Maya probably got offed because sirens are canonically too strong to have many of them around and still keep a sense of being at a disadvantage compared to the bad guys. I'm surprised Lilith is still around (she's MIA so probably alive)

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
BTW guys, an updated, 'free' version just got released.

Just sayin' for those who are interested.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Do you ever see these characters anyway? Honest question. I only played the first game and of course I chose the hot redhead, but then I never saw here once after character selection iirc.

cw8

Cipher
Do you ever see these characters anyway? Honest question. I only played the first game and of course I chose the hot redhead, but then I never saw here once after character selection iirc.

Lilith? She's probably the mainest main character in Borderlands. She's one of the main leaders in BL2 and is the leader in BL3. You only get to play as her in the first BL of course.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
BL1 and BL2 characters don't talk or anything in their respective games(they're merely player avatars), but the ones you play as in Pre-Sequel actually talk in it, which isn't surprising in a way, since they're NPCs from previous games and their DLCs.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
BL1 and BL2 characters don't talk or anything in their respective games(they're merely player avatars), but the ones you play as in Pre-Sequel actually talk in it, which isn't surprising in a way, since they're NPCs from previous games and their DLCs.

I like the banter and smack talk they do in BL3. It adds a nice touch to the kill and funny responses to quests.

kreight

Ive been playing this for a few days now. What came to my mind was the fact that this game uses words like "tech", " corp", "robotic arms and legs" and some others.

If you can ignore the harem of female characters you have on your ship among other sjw shit this game has.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I'm playing this now.
Its ok I guess. They improved some of the mechanics, but good lord the pacing is terrible. I thought Borderlands 1 was slow, but Borderlands 3 is glacial. The first hour or two is basically a tutorial sequence.
Humor isn't great and the streamer villains are lame, but it doesn't annoy me as much as it did in borderlands 2 and TPS.
Guns look nice but they sound anemic. Moze's mech minigun sounds like a toy, bloody hell.

flyingjohn

Arcane
For anybody wondering,this should be considered a online only game.
Offline patches have 1/3 of the hotfix content and most mods require you to have hotfixes.

Also it seems the game is dead in terms of future support.The upcoming dlc will be a joke and gearbox doesn't seem to care anymore.

Edit:
Also this mod is recommended HARD:
https://www.nexusmods.com/borderlands3/mods/250

Duralux for Durabux

Offline patches have 1/3 of the hotfix content and most mods require you to have hotfixes.

Also it seems the game is dead in terms of future support.The upcoming dlc will be a joke and gearbox doesn't seem to care anymore.
Good, considering how horrid this game is. I don't think the franchise can't sunk any lower.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Edit:
Also this mod is recommended HARD:
https://www.nexusmods.com/borderlands3/mods/250

Oh wow really? I guess the game is worse than I thought then, because the multiplayer is non-existant.
Seriously, its a co-op game, and at most you get one party member. That's just trash.

FFS, even TPS has a larger player base.

Perkel

Arcane
BL3 does have a shitty story and characters but gunplay itself is best from all 3. I reaaaaaly didn't like BL2 gunplay i far more liked BL1 and it had nothing to do with SLAG but with how weapons were generated and how you never got anything interesting in therms of mechanics.

Either way if you play alone BL you are doing it wrong.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Borderlands 3 is designed so that the player does multiple solo runs of the same specific boss(es) over and over again to snipe specific gear drops so it's no wonder that people don't really have time or want to just do relaxing online romps.

Also THQ Nordic (or their parent company, rather) just bought Gearbox and Randy Bitchford is looking at a big payday there. Small wonder they'd give a shit about supporting Borderlands 3 anymore.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
BL3 does have a shitty story and characters but gunplay itself is best from all 3. I reaaaaaly didn't like BL2 gunplay i far more liked BL1 and it had nothing to do with SLAG but with how weapons were generated and how you never got anything interesting in therms of mechanics.

Either way if you play alone BL you are doing it wrong.

The gunplay in BL3 is indeed good, the problem though is that there are a lot of scripted events that involve you sitting around not shooting anything for minutes, and that's just shit design. For fucks sake, Prey is a more story driven game with less of an emphasis on combat, and that game doesn't make you sit around waiting for idiots to finish talking every ten minutes.
You can't skip to True Vault Hunter Mode anymore either, so you basically have to sit through the shitty scripted events and "story" twice.

You don't really have a choice in BL3 when it comes to playing alone; the multiplayer is so dead and buggy that its better to play alone.

Borderlands 3 just isn't a good game, and for a 60 dollar game (this isn't even counting the DLC) that chews up 80 gigs of your hard drive space, that's just embarrassing.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
The gunplay is better but the maps arent and they pretty much recycled 90% of the enemies from the previous game. So, you shoot the same enemies you did on Borderlands 2 on maps that are bigger but not as well designed, that jungle planet in particular is a pain to go through. Also, I thought it was impossible to be worse than Antony Burch but , oh boy, I didnt know how I was wrong, this game was made by low T males simping hard for Lilith that forgot someone would actually play their fan fiction, it was painful. The main plot of this game is just two bitches fighting, an evil bitch vs a good bitch. Also, all male characters are annoying low T with very puncheable faces, guess the authors made them on their self image.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom