Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Brian Mitsoda fired from Bloodlines 2

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Then if its not microtransactions , its simply brian not working fast enough for them. Dead state took how many years ? eight ? What is tolerated for indie early access game development is not in serious industry.

I received my first email from Brian in Sep 2009, but we started working full-time on DS around Sep 2012. Released in 2014. That roughly equals to 4 full years with a small team, and we never had to wait for Brian. VtMB2 has been in development for a similar amount of time. I don't have any insight, but, speaking from personal experience, Brian being unproductive is an unlikely reason for what's happenning.

Do you have any experience with Brian on a personal level? Roguey mentioned that someone at Obsidian said he was a frustrating Prima donna. It would be interesting to get another perspective.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I would normally avoid commenting on someone's personality behind their back, but since the silence would be ambiguous now... no, I haven't noticed anything like that. We've had our differences in technical details, and sometimes I've felt that design changes were revealed to us (the ITS part of the team) at a later stage than they should've been, but I have no development or personal drama to report, Brian always tried to keep it professional.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Its fucking paradox, the virus is starting to ruin more than lungs. They have no more money so lets get rid of the parts that are already done. Brian being surprised by the firing is just is autistic brain not being able to understand that not disclosing reasons is just a way corporations have of safeguarding their asses.

Semiurge

Cipher
now that shitsoda is out they can focus on removing all the poz and making this the best vtmb2 it can be

The only way thet could salvage this abortion - nay, a botchling, would be selling the project and its assets to the last bastion of ambitious game-making, CD Projekt Red.

J1M

Arcane
I think MRY might be having some fun in this thread right now.
Not really. I think it's kind weird and unfair to Chris that no one credits the things he says publicly, except for the rare instances when he's airing grievances. This is true for both Codexers and anti-Codexers. Chris was vocally proud of the people he nurtured and promoted in the industry and constantly said that folks like Cass, Zoe, etc. were better writers than he was. I'm sure he was being modest/self-effacing, but he wasn't saying that about everyone. Contrast the above tweets with, e.g.:

That's not to say he wasn't supportive of Vince and other developers -- I think he's very generous in providing feedback and support to almost all indie RPG developers. But the idea that he would be disappointed in the generation of writers who now hold the pen at these studios doesn't fit with the way he talked about it at the time. He didn't like the old guys in management, but he had nothing but praise for the young firebrands he was advancing.

It might be that he's disappointed in how things worked out with Obsidian, but I think he undeniably had a huge impact in shaping RPGs into what they are today -- just because the Codex dislikes those things and likes Chris doesn't mean that he should be viewed as having frittered away his talents or influence. People he disliked succeeded in making even more millions of dollars than he did, but in terms of RPG writers, my sense is that the industry now belongs to the people he wanted to own it. Is there any evidence to the contrary? For instance, didn't he have effusive praise for the lead writer of Waylanders?

So he said nice things about the young women he wanted to sleep with and bad things about the old men in charge? A true visionary.

Danikas

Arcane
A true visionary would have predicted metoo and only hired straight males.

cuck-zone.jpg

aratuk

Cipher
The gloves just weren't thick enough, clearly.

The flame-proof ones have become harder and harder to find after the late-night commercials from greedy asbestos lawyers shut them all down — at least the stylish ones — and that has left poor Brian exposed! Exposed to the vicissitudes of social interaction and the resultant Business Decisions that come down on your head hands out of nowhere!

Codex fundraiser, when? To buy the man a pair of mitts that will truly protect him from every eventuality.

Vatnik Wumao
MCA is lucky he got cancelled after he no longer needed the work. He can end his career as a comfortable laughing stock. I would sympathize, but he brought it on himself.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
MCA is lucky he got cancelled after he no longer needed the work. He can end his career as a comfortable laughing stock. I would sympathize, but he brought it on himself.

From what MCA said on Twitter and his meltdown thread on the Codex, it sounded as though he didn't escape Obsidian with much in the way of assets.

Admittedly I don't know what his financial situation is like now, but it didn't sound great a few years back.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
He did the MCA World Studios Tour.

Apparently that paid a lot, so much that he went from needing money to being able to retire comfortably at anytime. I'm quite surprised of it, actually.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Don't know the source of this discord chat other than this being posted by some random russian on twitter and I can't find it posted here on the dex already (unless it's several pages old).

EgLndgWWsAAl0D2

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The jew tagged it as Old so I assume it's old news then.
But it would be a perfectly sound reason for why they were fired.

Codex Year of the Donut

From what MCA said on Twitter and his meltdown thread on the Codex, it sounded as though he didn't escape Obsidian with much in the way of assets.

Admittedly I don't know what his financial situation is like now, but it didn't sound great a few years back.
If he doesn't have much money saved up he's probably going to end up offing himself.
Middle-aged male, chronic alcoholic, blacklisted from his career, and essentially had his life destroyed? Odds aren't exactly in his favor. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom