Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Broken Roads - turn-based Australian post-apocalyptic RPG with "unique morality system"

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    At least the UI doesn't look like Apple.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Craig Ritchie Drop Bear Bytes Developer

Craig Ritchie
    Thanks for your patience - after PAX a few of us some time off, and I'm just getting back into things now. I'm actually writing a full dev blog about the Moral Compass at the moment and will get that up later today, and link it here. In brief:

Yes, they are in a way exclusive, but only because your alignment is what is covered by your World View, which is what we are calling the golden arc that determines which actions, dialogue options etc which your character can take:

[​IMG]

So, if you look above, you can see your exact location on the moral compass shown by the white dot. There is a golden area on each side of it, and thus you could take certain decisions at the edge of the utilitarian and nihilist quadrants, and everything within the existentialist quadrant. Because in this instance the white dot is in the outer bound of the existentialist quadrant, this character is able to have a high level existentialist moral trait ('Condemned To Be Free'). By being further out towards the edge of the compass, the golden arc is a little narrower than some other characters' might be. What this does is allow some characters to be broadminded and others to be narrowminded - that is, if you want to have a lot of options available to you, you sacrifice the high-level traits but allow a wider World View. Conversely, if you want to focus on a particular philosophy, your World View (golden arc) narrows.

In terms of how these affect gameplay, the most easy to show is that during dialogue, certain options which would fit into one of the above quadrants become available at different points in a conversation. Not every choice is going to be a moral one or have any philosophical significance, and we are also having dialogue options with skill checks, dialogue options dependent on past decisions, and so on. But where your character's philosophical leaning is at any one point can affect which quests become available, and how you resolve the different challenges in the game. We are also working on combat influences, where different philosophical leanings allow certain skills and abilities and even weapon choices (you have to be a pretty mean bastard to use a nail grenade for instance, whereas only certain type of people might allow someone who begs for mercy to go free, and those people might give you specific rewards, information you could otherwise have gained and so on).

As I mentioned, all this information and more is in the dev blog I plan to post later today. I'll share the link when it's up.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Informative Informative x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Craig Ritchie Drop Bear Bytes Developer

Craig Ritchie
    Well, I took a pretty loose meaning of "today" in my last post, due to how much has happened with Drop Bear Bytes over the last week. I'm back on this blog now and will share when done.

Any other questions you'd like answered, please post here.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What happened?

^ Top  
  5. Craig Ritchie Drop Bear Bytes Developer

Craig Ritchie
    New hires, publisher interest, sorting out a dedicated studio location in Melbourne - general administrative/operations stuff more so than dev and design work - that have taken up a lot of time. All good things.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. barghwata Savant

barghwata
    Haha i completely forgot about this but better late then ever, i appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions in detail.

I am hoping this is true; moral systems are fun and all and can help offer a great roleplaying experience but not if they're too restrictrive or force the player to follow one ideology without allowing some room for change and flexibility, but regardless the game looks really interesting and i am looking forward to seeing how this moral system works in practice, keep up the good work. :salute:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Craig Ritchie Drop Bear Bytes Developer

Craig Ritchie
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Jedi Exile Arcanum Patron

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Drop Bear Bytes - I like it. Hope you will make a better game than Double Bear did!

^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. just Learned

just
    are there any asexual companions?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Craig Ritchie Drop Bear Bytes Developer

Craig Ritchie
    Could be. Could be.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. d1nolore Learned

d1nolore
    I don't see any Abbos. Australians still pretending they don't exist? They would be perfect for post-apocalyptic Australia.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Bohrain Savant Patron

Bohrain

They probably took a collective nap on the road when the apocalypse happened. Tragic, truly.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    Writers are not robots, at least not if they're any good.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Razzoriel Genos Studios Developer

Razzoriel
    Hi Craig. We do not know each other, but you can see me as a man in a similar position. We both dedicated a chunk of our lives to develop a product we either grew up liking or being our bread-winner. Indie developers like us should pay close attention to what is going on in the industry, since our margin for errors are much narrower, and we lack the funds to correct any wrongdoings.

I see you commiting the same mistake multimillion dollar companies are making, in employing people that have a clear and brazen political profile that does not match the majority of the consumers, and only serves to alienate them. Our era of political neutrality is over. Neutrality led us to where we are now, politics being first, product last. Your graphic artist already marked your game with this agenda, confering a degree of fiction to sexes that is akin to those same political-driven people in rich companies. There is still time to change. People may still buy your game and still play it, and it may be fun, but its a stain that will ever be present, and will grow bigger and bigger on your next projects, with its repeated mantra of demanding you to get ever more woke.

All this being said, I wish you good luck and will definately purchase your title, as I did with other (good) RPGs made by other companies.

• Brofist x 8
    • Agree x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Craig Ritchie Drop Bear Bytes Developer

Craig Ritchie
    Hey - glad the game is getting attention again. Thanks for the comments. I fully understand your concerns and all I can ask is you trust me and my vision for Broken Roads, which ultimately will not go the route you have described, and will not be a soapbox for any particular political ideologies.

• Friendly x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • decline x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Here are some skill and talent trees.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. toro Arcane

toro
    Skills were a mistake.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Bohrain Savant Patron

Bohrain
    I'd rather get Fallout style perks that have primary stat, skill and level restrictions than Bioware-ish talent trees. I feel like talent trees end up offering less build variety.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    What about BOTH
    These positions seem a little arbitrary. Nihilism being the opposite of utilitarianism is weird. Bit of a red flag.

^ Top  
  22. Craig Ritchie Drop Bear Bytes Developer

Craig Ritchie
    What's likely not clear yet in the screenshot is that is pretty much how it is - the talents have primary stat, skill and level requirements to start them off, and earlier levels of the same talent as pre-reqs.
    The actual skills (Speech, Science, Medicine etc) have a numerical value as well, which you increase at each level up.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Sad Loser Sad Loser
    Nice to have you here on the Codex. Don't mind the ball busting in the thread. If the game turns out good, nobody will care about the political views of your writers. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Junmarko Arcane Patron

Junmarko
    "Trans: She/Her", "Ex-MMA Fighter".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Funny x 6
    • nice x 3
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Black Arcane

Black
    The title would be better suited for a modern Polish rpg.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 10
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.