Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Goral What are you saving on posts?

I talk about how to get a job in the game industry, as well as how I got my job.

garren

Arcane
Patron

I talk about how to get a job in the game industry, as well as how I got my job.

Good advice (not that it's anything new to codexer), but I can see that overtly lecturing woke style has rubbed off on Tim a little, spending so much time around danger hairs ("You literally have no excuse!"). Just say what you have to say Tim, no need for the edge.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's the most asked question because lazy shit gamers are hoping someone will finally give a different answer. They don't want to be told "Go spend 3 years learning and building something in Unity." They want to be told "Gosh, your ideas are so amazing. You should come work at my company making six figures right now!"

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I don't think normal people even want to go into the gamedev industry. Have you seen the kind of shit they make nowadays and the kind of colleagues you're gonna have?

I would've loved to work at Interplat in the late 90s or at Troika. But in 2023 it's only crazy twitter ladies and fanfic writers who want to "get into gamedev". Normal people want to stay away from it.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Imagine sex

Because thats all you'll be doing.

cain.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It's the most asked question because lazy shit gamers are hoping someone will finally give a different answer. They don't want to be told "Go spend 3 years learning and building something in Unity." They want to be told "Gosh, your ideas are so amazing. You should come work at my company making six figures right now!"
Learn HTML, become web master for a game's website, become a designer (while still web master) on development of another game released the following year, then be promoted to lead designer for that game's sequel. :M

:nofunallowed:

d1nolore

Savant
I don’t think most people who say they want to be game developers actually want to be game devs. What they actually want is to be game creators. They want to point and click to make things and talk about their ideas.

Like anything it’s supply and demand. You need to offer someone something they need that not everyone has. 6000 hours in programming or 3D modelling is a skill most people don’t have. Coming up with ideas or stories is something most people can do. But putting in those 1000’s of hours is more akin to working than playing.

It's the difference between wanting to do something and wanting to have done something. The latter leads to the quest for shortcuts and the path of least effort.

Maldoror

Augur
I think this is one of the situations where the West and Japan differ in game design philosophy. I'd wager that a sizeable chunk of narrative and design leads in the West don't have a lot of experience with actually programming and creating games. Conversely, most of the big Japanese auteurs (emphasis on the aut) like Hideo Kojima, Shigeru Miyamoto and Tetsuya Nomura had good experience functionally creating the games that they would go on to write and direct for.

And then there's somebody like Todd Howard, who did bug fixes for Daggerfall and then chose the direction of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series because of that. Yay.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim Cain's Cookbook said:
Rauatai Sweet Pie

I made this pie a lot in my college days. I think it contributed to my
robust physique.

2 large eggs
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter, melted
1 cup (6 oz) chocolate chips
1 9-inch pie shell, unbaked

Preheat the oven to 325F.

Using a mixer, beat the eggs until they are foamy. Add the flour, sugar
and brown sugar, and beat well. Blend in the melted butter. Stir (do
not beat) in the chocolate chips, then pour the mixture into the pie
shell. Bake for 1 hour.

I hope one day to make this...

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Tim once again talks about how great everything Outer Worlds is. This time its all about Q&A / Playtesting. He shits on Temple of Elemental Evil a bit. He spends quality time reading from his notebook about each of his 16 total playthroughs. Going through each character and playstyle.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim addresses the Outer Worlds haters:
How long of time needs to pass before Outer Worlds can be spoken of in a negative light? There had to have been some things behind the scenes that didnt work out well, all things considered. Is Outer Worlds immune to criticism on this channel?
It's not immune, but negative criticism takes time, because you need perspective on it. A game will ship and people will complain about something that really becomes a non-issue over time (such as load times or draw distances), while other features are overlooked by new players and become something beloved later, like Dogmeat in Fallout 1.

Also, many many people think negative criticism does not need to be constructive, but it does. Saying "that feature is dumb" or "that thing looks stupid" is not only unhelpful, there is nothing specific to fix. Such criticism is even less than useless, because it decreases the signal-to-noise ratio of whatever channel you are using the communicate with the developer. And it causes them to discount any future criticism you may have.

And finally, I personally hate critiquing other people's work, which is why I don't tend to answer questions about ranking games or questions about games that are still under development.

Maldoror

Augur
Tim addresses the Outer Worlds haters:
How long of time needs to pass before Outer Worlds can be spoken of in a negative light?
I found this interesting, because after the preliminary assortment of positive critical reviews, nowhere on the internet speaks particularly positively about The Outer Worlds, apart from a few Obsidianfags like myself. Comment seems like it was written by a Codex ESL.

Don Peste

Arcane
What? "How long of time needs to pass" is Beautiful English.
Or do you have improved words to talk to Tim what the comment is asking to him?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom