Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Larian never made games with the aim of "appealing to a larger demographic"
they made games they wanted to make
Dude, who are these "Larian people" who make games that "they want to make"? Everything is run by one guy called Swen. Larian employees make what he wants them to make. What kind of mess do you have in your head? Larian isn't Valve.

As to "not appeal to larger demographic", you must be fucking kidding me. It's just that Swen personally enjoys female-oriented slash fanfic content personally, with gay shit all over the place, right? But ALSO it's apparently a recent development, because previous games weren't pumped with gay shit. So he must have had a personality change. Oh no, it wasn't for a larger audience, he just got into gay shit personally and recently, uh huh.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

I talk about all the times I was underestimated...by teachers, by schoolmates, by work colleagues. It feels like the opposite of impostor syndrome.

I don't care enough to remember all the times I've been underestimated, but Tim remembers vividly? Or does he also put it in writing with little angry doodles on the side?

Tim certainly knows how to hold a grudge, but instead of going postal he just buys a carton of muffins to eat by himself while crying a little. So wholesome.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I don't care enough to remember all the times I've been underestimated, but Tim remembers vividly?
Non-weak women and homos are often underestimated because they look weak by virtue of being women and homos. Naturally it pisses them off, so they remember.

Tim, if you didn't act like a faggot all the time, nobody would underestimate you. Act normal. Unlearn your faggy voice (it's disgusting).

Lemming42

Arcane
Some hasbeen game developer who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about now, and it's questionable if he ever did. This cunt is relevant? Give it a fucking rest.
He's going to be perpetually relevant because of Fallout, same way GabeN is relevant despite not having done anything of note in a long time, and not having done anything actually good since 1998.

Good games are created largely by accident; I don't think Tim has any unique skills and his post-Fallout career is mostly questionable at best, and Fallout itself was - like most good creative works - probably the result of a unique combination of factors and a massive amount of good luck which coalesced to produce something greater than any of the people working on it were capable of doing individually. But Fallout's enough of an achievement that it rightly secures Tim's place in history. He's only made one superb game... but that's still one more superb game than most game devs make. If the creator of Fallout speaks, I'll still listen.

Having said that, I have stopped watching his YT vids on the grounds that I hate hearing him be ludicrously wrong about shit constantly.

An isometric crpg from Obsidian would not have sold over 5 million copies. We have proof of that in Pillars, Pillars 2, and Tyranny.
Pillars and Tyranny are RTWP cRPGs only. General audiences are likely not going to like that.

Deadfire has turn-based combat but came out later. As far as I've seen, there are more newer players on Deadfire in recent years than on Pillars 1.

I'm betting that because a lot of their popularity with the general public comes from New Vegas, some New Vegas "fans" (who consist of mostly FPS players with a limited understanding of RPGs) aren't really interested in cRPGs, especially one that didn't have turn-based combat at launch. It's a shame because Deadfire is practically a New Vegas-like experience.

Says who? Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, and Dragon Age sold a few million.
I'm pretty sure there is a gap between these games and the release of Pillars 1 which we conveniently ignore to glaze over how "RTWP is not the problem".

Also DAO and KOTOR isn't exactly "RTWP" for general audience. And let's not forget that NWN1 isn't really popular and remembered when people talk about "Classic cRPG" outside this shithole.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Says who? Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, and Dragon Age sold a few million.
I'm pretty sure there is a gap between these games and the release of Pillars 1 which we conveniently ignore to glaze over how "RTWP is not the problem".
Dragon Age Inquisition was released in 2014 and did well enough to keep making Dragon Age games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DAI is GOTY of that year, but nobody talks RTWP as the main selling point of the game. Come on now.

It's literally the one thing "traditional RPG fans" are keep complaining about DAI combat.
A lot of people hate Bioware's rtwp combat, didn't stop them from selling millions.

A lot of people hate Bioware's rtwp combat, didn't stop them from selling millions.
Because they're not coming for RTWP combat. They're not selling DAI as "RTWP" combat game. Player are barely playing it as "RTWP" game since DA2 since Companions are capable to commit their own actions.

They're selling "Game with great story and romanced companion". Feel free to make a survey or ask random people (that are not in this shithole) why they're buying BioWare game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Because they're not coming for RTWP combat. They're not selling DAI as "RTWP" combat game. Player are barely playing it as "RTWP" game since DA2 since Companions are capable to commit their own actions.

They're selling "Game with great story and romanced companion". Feel free to make a survey or ask random people (that are not in this shithole) why they're buying BioWare game.
There was also a lot of demand for better party AI in Pillars and Tyranny.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's even more risk gambling on a bunch of different things while trashing the things you probably should focus on
I've never even heard of Disintegration and Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey. TOW got most of the budget and attention.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Dragon Age Inquisition was released in 2014 and did well enough to keep making Dragon Age games.

It didn't do well enough for EA to keep wanting to make more DA games...... remember that EA tried to force a live service game on DA4 and only relented because Fallen Order sold more than 10 million copies. That's the kind of numbers that video game companies look for nowadays.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't care enough to remember all the times I've been underestimated, but Tim remembers vividly? Or does he also put it in writing with little angry doodles on the side?

Tim certainly knows how to hold a grudge, but instead of going postal he just buys a carton of muffins to eat by himself while crying a little. So wholesome.

He probably has a folder on each Codexer and their mean comments.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I've never even heard of Disintegration and Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey. TOW got most of the budget and attention.
The decision to release KSP2 in to Early Access before all the new features that the sequel was supposed to have had been implemented was a gigantic misstep. It didn't even have all the features that the original game had yet. So, the people who did buy it bitched that there was less there than the original game, dropped negative reviews, a lot of those refunded the title, and a lot of the people who anticipated the game decided to sit and wait. Then they announced around a month ago that the studio commissioned to make the game was going to be closed down in June, and most of those promised features still aren't in there.

It's almost like they have just enough money to royally screw things up, but not enough money to be successful. Kind of an interesting business plan for a division of a company that's purpose was to publish small and independent titles.

S.torch

Arbiter
An isometric crpg from Obsidian would not have sold over 5 million copies. We have proof of that in Pillars, Pillars 2, and Tyranny.
Surely that has more to do with these games being terrible written than being isometric.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom