Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Songs are songs, who gives a damn about the personal lives of the people behind them?

Tim's Book of Slights got so big that he forgot why some companies were on there because he didn't list the reasons for their inclusion. :lol:

Koschey

Arcane
Seguing from your personal shitlist, which actually exists as a file on your phone and has grown to such gigantic proportions as to be unusable in practice, into how you try not to judge things too quickly is definitely an interesting sight.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Songs are songs, who gives a damn about the personal lives of the people behind them?

Tim's Book of Slights got so big that he forgot why some companies were on there because he didn't list the reasons for their inclusion. :lol:
He does seem like he has a chip on his shoulder lately.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think creative people are a combination of hardware and software. The hardware is the mental capacity and individual aptitude and receptivity, the software is the culture and it's spiritual footprint in the soul of the people it has reached, which is what leads certain creative individuals to express themselves in a particular way.

I think the problem with a lot of those old boomer developers is that the software got rewritten over the years. The mental capacity is still there, but what's lacking now is the cultural milieu that he was steeped in during his formative years. The world has changed since he graduated in 1989, and the culture as changed with it. This means he may no longer think or feel like he once did, and also obviously a lot of the people working for him are from the newer generation and most have no experience with the kind of cultural influence that led to Fallout in the first place.

ds

Cipher
Patron
I think the problem with a lot of those old boomer developers is that the software got rewritten over the years.
Game devs aren't exactly known for being security conscious so most probably just left their brain partition world writable. But in Tim's case I suspect there might have been a backdoor involved.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just reiterating what he's said before: a lot of people on the Fallout team didn't play Wasteland, some who did didn't like it, most who did never finished it, some things in Fallout were deliberate callbacks, most were coincidences, they didn't even want it to be a Wasteland sequel because that would come with creative constraints. He notes that Wasteland 3 and Fallout 4/76 evolved to become very different games setting-wise.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure I buy that the similarity between Cochise and Mariposa is a coincidence.

Tim says "lots of people on the team didn't play Wasteland" as if that's supposed to mean something. But you only need one person (presumably Scott Campbell) who did play it to suggest ideas that everybody else goes with, perhaps without even realizing those ideas are inspired by Wasteland.

Old Hans

Arcane
Just reiterating what he's said before: a lot of people on the Fallout team didn't play Wasteland, some who did didn't like it, most who did never finished it, some things in Fallout were deliberate callbacks, most were coincidences
this sounds like a massive cover up full of lies

"Your honor, people of the jury, my client never even finished Wasteland...why would he steal ideas from it?"

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, downplaying Wasteland's influences sounds like bollocks.

I don't think he's downplaying it exactly. Rather he seems unable to fully grasp Fallout through that frame, because the game as he originally conceived it wasn't meant to be a Wasteland spiritual successor. It was sort of hammered and bent into a Wasteland shape during its development.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
"Fallout and Wasteland developed in separate directions." I beg to differ. Fallout 2 clearly takes after Fountain of Dreams.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Tim managing to inject his gay agenda into a video about deep learning. "Boys should not wear pink? That's learned behavior!"
In the U.S, originally boys would wear pink and girls wore blue from the 1800s to around the 1940s. Pink was seen as a masculine color, a lighter form of red. So, yeah, he's right.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Tim managing to inject his gay agenda into a video about deep learning. "Boys should not wear pink? That's learned behavior!"
In the U.S, originally boys would wear pink and girls wore blue from the 1800s to around the 1940s. Pink was seen as a masculine color, a lighter form of red. So, yeah, he's right.
The US is gay. How do you think Tim caught it?

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Boys (babies actually) wore whatever their mothers put on them. Doesn't mean they gravitated towards that colour bro.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Boys (babies actually) wore whatever their mothers put on them. Doesn't mean they gravitated towards that colour bro.
Well, I was born in 90 so pink was very much a girl color and I never gave it much thought but personally never gravitated towards lighter colors. I remember finding out about this dressing boys in pink thing as a teen and being surprised. I'm fairly certain that men decided it was a masculine color but typically reserved for young boys after the late 1800s.

When children were very young, boys and girls wore clothing that was very similar to a woman's dress though certainly if you tried to dress a boy in a pink dress in current year, you'd appear to be supporting some type of leftist/gay agenda.

He does have a point that certain societal norms have been taught and accepted and then changed. It's relevant now since there's many attempts at reversing accepted norms today and not for the better IMHO.

Wasteland

Educated
This is apparently a myth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gendered_associations_of_pink_and_blue

There is a small grain of truth here: the widespread standardization of pink-for-girls-and-blue-for-boys apparently didn't solidify until the 1940s, i.e. the mass media age, but this is not an especially controversial claim, not nearly as interesting or ideologically useful as the claim that "ACTUALLY, boys were all in PINK, ahahaha CHECKMATE, CHUDS!"

Treat all such stories--anything presented with the idea that normal people have been EXACTLY WRONG, ALL ALONG--as nonsense until you've seen proof. Feminist/queer scholars are basically whiny children play-acting as adult academics. That goes double for feminist/queer-advocate journos. (And may go triple for liberal Redditors doling out "fun facts," which are absolutely never fun or factual.) Even if you remove the agenda pushing, they simply don't know how to do honest research, statistical analysis, or basic logic. Probably because it's been effectively illegal to criticize them for a very long time. In this case, it looks like journos attributed a baseless claim to some professor who never made it, and it was subsequently repeated so often that the guy who finally debunked it wasn't even sure whom he was debunking.

This sort of thing happens frequently in that quarter. The claim may even be much more ridiculous than the pink-for-boys thing--the sort of claim that doesn't stand up to 15 seconds of lazy scrutiny--and yet it will be repeated, over and over, uncritically, until no one can remember where it came from, just that it's been mentioned in the New York Times, and Vanity Fair quoted the New York Times' mention of it, and Wapo quoted Vanity Fair's quoting of it, and now it's in an official Google presentation, #InternationalWomensDay, etc, etc, and it is simply The Truth™.

Last edited:

baba is you

Educated
Tim Cain has been negative about Wasteland's connection to Fallout since before the video was uploaded, and I'm not sure if it's his pride or if there's something he can't talk about.

Or maybe he still has bad feelings about Fargo. If Tim still has bad feelings about Fargo and keeps making these claims, it would be an interesting drama.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I wouldn't say it's a myth exactly but perhaps saying pink was for boys is an exaggeration. It was not considered a feminine color as it is today and boys did wear dress like garments until they were around 6 years old and a pastel like pink was common. This tradition went on in Europe for some time before the U.S was established.

Id have to dig deeper and I don't trust Wikipedia 100 percent but I did attend lectures where several college professors felt wiki could be a good starting point for research. If this is to be believed, both traditions of pink for boys, blue for girls and vice versa co existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_sources_for_pink_and_blue_as_gender_signifiers

I do agree with the rest of your post of leftwing media outright fabricating certain things and pushing agendas that way.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Well then:

I talk about putting "touchy subjects" into games, things like violence or drug use or nudity, and how to approach their inclusion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom