Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I talk about the difficulties involved in matching your team members with the game design on any given project.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
Well, la-te-dag for you Tim. I could give a rusty rut fuck what you play.
Yeah, but he's not wrong about online multiplayer games being utter shit because people are assholes online.

Not that I'd know, I guess. The last game I played online regularly was Myth: Soulblighter, and I mainly played that with a bunch of friends. My son plays competitive Overwatch and a few other games though, and it sounds like things haven't changed much.
Yeap... People were assholes also back in the day, in fact they were probably worse. A person can choose not to play multiplayer games sure but to state as a fact that people are worse most probably it has something to do with you and not with the others. Which is fine, you're bored, you're tired, you're getting old or whatever...

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Smart phones and social media are the reason everyone acts like a bigger asshole online nowadays. We used to spend a lot less time online, and nowadays we're basically online every waking hour. And there's invariably some gay fucking retard on Twitter who makes you want to commit a hate crime, and people can't help but carry a bit of that around with them. So when you get into a League of Legends match and some kid is squealing into is microphone, you're already at zero tolerance for faggotry.

It also doesn't help that 1v1 is dead. It didn't matter in Brood War if your opponent was an asshole because you weren't chatting with him. But everything is about team vs team nowadays, so you're exposed to more dipshits per unit time spent in the game.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
Smart phones and social media are the reason everyone acts like a bigger asshole online nowadays. We used to spend a lot less time online, and nowadays we're basically online every waking hour. And there's invariably some gay fucking retard on Twitter who makes you want to commit a hate crime, and people can't help but carry a bit of that around with them. So when you get into a League of Legends match and some kid is squealing into is microphone, you're already at zero tolerance for faggotry.

It also doesn't help that 1v1 is dead. It didn't matter in Brood War if your opponent was an asshole because you weren't chatting with him. But everything is about team vs team nowadays, so you're exposed to more dipshits per unit time spent in the game.
The assholes were always there, they just have the chance to expose themselves now.

rojay

Scholar
Well, la-te-dag for you Tim. I could give a rusty rut fuck what you play.
Yeah, but he's not wrong about online multiplayer games being utter shit because people are assholes online.

Not that I'd know, I guess. The last game I played online regularly was Myth: Soulblighter, and I mainly played that with a bunch of friends. My son plays competitive Overwatch and a few other games though, and it sounds like things haven't changed much.
Yeap... People were assholes also back in the day, in fact they were probably worse. A person can choose not to play multiplayer games sure but to state as a fact that people are worse most probably it has something to do with you and not with the others. Which is fine, you're bored, you're tired, you're getting old or whatever...
I think it's both that I'm old and have had kids running around for the last 22 years. But back in the day at least the games I played the most (like Myth) required you to type if you wanted to communicate. It was harder for people to troll, I guess? When I took shit in Myth it was generally because I'd fucked something up and cost our team the game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh the flatulence and audacity! For shame! No butts about it. One must turn the other cheek and hope no one else dumps more of this blather upon us. This is just too damn cheeky.
IMG_3927.gif

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I talk about the difficulties involved in matching your team members with the game design on any given project.

This one's tough...
Putting together a proper team can be a rather daunting task.
A smaller and more cohesive team often leads to success, though not always in the sales department.
Now every damn company has to have 100+ employees who work on the game and each of them wants his idea put into the game...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim told two stories about how a person came to him with a problem and he offered a solution. The first person thanked him and left, the second person yelled at him for being a bad listener and stormed off. Woman Moment.

A take Tim didn't intend: don't hire women.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I talk about how I balance game features with a method I call "stick a pin in it".

p.s. my camera battery died at 9:50, so I had to swap batteries and record the remaining video separately. There is a ugly transition there. On the plus side, the dog makes an appearance at that time!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim says that GURPS is better suited for computers than D&D. Curious then that there are 0 GURPS/GURPS-knock-off crpgs and Fallout's SPECIAL was made more like D&D. :)

He mentioned there was a problem where if you didn't put points into health you would just die in the late-game. As much as people bemoan hp bloat in RPGs, the reception to high-lethality in RPGs is even more negative.

"We're not implementing blindness unless we can turn off the screen." Eh, that's daft because blindness is in fact a status effect in Fallout https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Blind Just cap your perception to 1 or 0, no problem.

Someone shilling Colony Ship in the comments was pretty funny.

White Grey

Novice
Finally some quality videos with insight into design! The man's a legend, but he sure does love to gossip/preach/whine. The anecdote regarding disposal of the corpse of GURPS Fallout was amusing, anyway.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Tim says that GURPS is better suited for computers than D&D. Curious then that there are 0 GURPS/GURPS-knock-off crpgs and Fallout's SPECIAL was made more like D&D. :)

He mentioned there was a problem where if you didn't put points into health you would just die in the late-game. As much as people bemoan hp bloat in RPGs, the reception to high-lethality in RPGs is even more negative.

"We're not implementing blindness unless we can turn off the screen." Eh, that's daft because blindness is in fact a status effect in Fallout https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Blind Just cap your perception to 1 or 0, no problem.

Someone shilling Colony Ship in the comments was pretty funny.
How is high lethality a problem?

Frozen

Arcane
He should expose incompetent project managers of today where it takes 10y to finish a game.

But he won't go after his faggot friends.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Doesn't have to be so.
Just add dismemberment and penalties for losing limbs.
Heavy bleeding that negatively affects your ability to take effective actions in a combat round.
And so on...
That doesn't make things any easier.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Doesn't have to be so.
Just add dismemberment and penalties for losing limbs.
Heavy bleeding that negatively affects your ability to take effective actions in a combat round.
And so on...
That doesn't make things any easier.
You just have to strike a balance, I think.
I don't really like enemies having 250000000+ HP, jrpg style...
There is such a thing as HP bloat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Localization questions

Shout out to Poland near the end.

The Fallouts were included free with the purchase of a magazine, that was a big contribution to why they're so popular there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom