Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, read the spoilered text in his previous post.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim's seething that he gets the blame for things that aren't his fault, but the fact that Interplay only used the engine he created for one sequel before abandoning it is certainly partly his fault. :P

I said I found it depressing that the guy who fixed up Troika's best game wasn't doing so well while the bad programmer that made that effort necessary in the first place get budgets and spotlight for new games by the corporations whose politics he promulgates.

At least you got that bunny in Divinity: Original Sin.
People kept calling Victoria GGS but Drog pretending he's not Drog again makes sense, yeah.

Harthwain

Magister
Guys, read the spoilered text in his previous post.
Explain to me what this has to do with "Tim Cain being well off after being rewarded for being an American that toes the party line"?

Is Dmitry Glukhovsky well off because he's a Russian that toes the party line? Or because he wrote books that became famous and sold well? While Tim Cain is not that famous (in my opinion), I'd say he is "well off" because he's fairly well known in the industry and worked on some important projects as an important enough figure. I am certain there are industry veterans in America who aren't as fortunate, too (or Russian developers who are more successful than Drog).

Drog is a modder who has who-knows-what job (does he even have a job?). Throw in a disease that requires money to deal with and it's no wonder Drog isn't doing as well. I imagine most people don't, even if they don't have a serious disease. Both in America AND Russia (not to mention other places in the world). No need to involve politics here or make up some conspiracy theories about Tim Cain "being well rewarded". Life can just suck. In some cases more than in the others.

Or... Do you want me to go into detail why I find "her" (you know, "VICTORIA"? With a FEMALE avatar? Yeah... Right...) posts full of shit DESPITE the spoilered text? It would require me explaining the principle of causation in order to point out exactly why "the guy that fixed up Tim Cain's dumpsterfire code [...] has resorted to e-begging for Turkish giftcards, hoping to get enough support that he can pay the bills [...]".

But I am warning you, ripping "Victoria's" arguments to shreds will involve talking about the war (as well as going heavily into politics). Do you want us talk about the war (and politics) in General RPG Discussion?

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron

I talk about my experiences as a game programmer, including some challenges game programmers may face and the one trait all programmers need to cultivate.

Tim brought up the Halting Problem..

So allow me to explain the Halting Problem.

Suppose you have a program named P1, then there could exist a program P2 which by its definition does the opposite of P1 for a particular case of program functionality.
Programs can also accept another program as an input. So suppose P1 is such a program, then in theory it could accept programs like P2.
But how does P1 decide the outcome of P2 if P2 is always doing the opposite of P1?
Specifically if P1's job included deciding what P2 does, but P2 does whatever is opposite P1 thinks P2 does, how could P1 CONSISTENTLY decide what P2 actually does? It cannot consistently.

The Halting Problem is just one scenario you could imagine of an undecidable loop between two programs.

Besides the Halting Problem being a mathematically proven result, of more interest is: no matter how much "smarter" you make P1, you will always be able to create a P2 to counter the improved version.

IMO this is all highly theoretical and in most cases you aren't actually leveraging your language/arithmetic/functions to such an extent to create an authentic paradox.
But the kicker is proving your code doesn't incidentally run into it is impossible to do consistently using just code checks.
Thus messages like "don't feed paradoxes to the program asshole" aren't so simple to cookup.
Also as a consequence you don't know immediately if you've run into a paradox of definition/design or it's just another boring bug someone created.

In Tim's story he explained how he wrote a scripting language of some kind, and so when his engine/whatever interprets/compiles scripters code there were still cases of scripters abusing the language.
Because of the halting problem Tim is suggesting the best he can do is tell them not to do certain things and/or atleast not blame him.

I think this is the right attitude. Though it's not completely hopeless to demand some help from the programmer / engine creator.
For example you can still make warning messages for undesirable effects, such as running low on memory. Or you can force scripts to stop that run too long.
Two things Tim talked about. Just don't run to poor Tim each time you see the messages thinking it's his fault.

I hope Tim makes a much longer video on programming challenges he had to overcome.

If your bullshit meter is going off the charts over mere definitions causing unsolvable realworld paradox, I understand.
Afterall implementation restrictions could make some definition not even viable. I suggest do your own research and figure out
if you think the problem is as general as academia believe.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Ukraine war is an American psy-op though, and while I don't think much of Arcanum, many people love to fellatiate it for being such an amazing game and much of that is due to Drogs work. Least you people can do is send him a few gift cards lmao.

Cool explanation above though. Tim should focus on programming talk.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Due to the war I can no longer accept PayPal donations, but you can buy me Turkish giftcards here:

[email info redacted, can be found here]

If enough people show support, I may get around to releasing the combat overhaul patch I'd been working on before my health started declining (I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder). And now with the war added to the mix, I'm in a pretty bad spot.

I'm very sad Drog is doing poorly. Can he prove his illness and the costs of treatment to the admins, and then can we do a crowdfunding campaign like we did for that guy with the kidney?
Infinitron v1c70r14 DarkUnderlord

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
MBzFJw.jpg

INB4 Tim Cain fired from the Outer Worlds 2 for making the White Power hand gesture.

EDIT:
WYspOV.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Despite not being a game artist, I have watched the challenges they have faced over the course of many decades and many projects, and I talk about those challenges in this video.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Damn.
Tim is fucking cranking out videos like crazy.
Once he runs out of topics to discuss about, what will he do? Twitch streams?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim passive aggressively defending The Outer Worlds again.

It has some of the most garish colors of all time (of course Tim wouldn't understand this). The women aren't appealing to look upon (of course Tim wouldn't understand this either) though the cg movie that opens Murder on Eridanos and the poster art created for it clearly show they know what attractive women look like. Otherwise I have no complaints.

Fallout, ToEE, and Bloodlines all look good. Arcanum looks like crap. Wildstar does not personally appeal to me, but I'm not the target audience, and I think it looks fine for what it's trying to be.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

It has some of the most garish colors of all time (of course Tim wouldn't understand this). The women aren't appealing to look upon (of course Tim wouldn't understand this either) though the cg movie that opens Murder on Eridanos and the poster art created for it clearly show they know what attractive women look like. Otherwise I have no complaints.

Fallout, ToEE, and Bloodlines all look good. Arcanum looks like crap. Wildstar does not personally appeal to me, but I'm not the target audience, and I think it looks fine for what it's trying to be.
Outer Worlds is truly shit.
But Tim defends it fervently because, you know...

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

wow if only he asked someone trustworthy to set a realistic color palette and to make the girls cute
yknow like bojarski did in vampire..

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
wow if only he asked someone trustworthy to set a realistic color palette and to make the girls cute
yknow like bojarski did in vampire..
Well, as Tim revealed just a few days ago, there was one woman who was pretty passionate about making that happen and Leonard told her to pound sand.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Leonard was buck broken by his time on Diablo 3. He has lived long enough to see himself become the villain.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Leonard was buck broken by his time on Diablo 3. He has lived long enough to see himself become the villain.
More like he was buck broken by being ground into paste being the CEO for Troika.

Diablo seemed like a no effort meal ticket he got for being friends with some people at blizzard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom