Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I was watching the second part of Tim & Leonard, and Tim says "the boy and THEIR dog", in singular. Oh my fuck GOD.

If they don't stop with this shit, they'll end up getting shot on sight in the US.

The video where he talks about a female on the dev team "mansplaining" to Boyarsky about why Outerworlds should have Fallout's art style is commie gold.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The video where he talks about a female on the dev team "mansplaining" to Boyarsky about why Outerworlds should have Fallout's art style is commie gold.
Something to keep in mind is that Leonard isn't even a commie and made the commies on the Outer Worlds team really mad when he answered an interviewer declaring himself to be a proud liberal (which made them like and retweet one dev who said that the project leader doesn't speak for everyone on the team).

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

3:17 well they should've listened to her mansplaining Fallout 1 art style to them rather than doubling down on what ended up being the art style of TOW :lol:

Having played the game recently and seen just how bad it is firsthand seeing this somehow made it even worse. Somewhere at Obsidian is an unsung heroine that tried to save the art direction of OW only to get shot down by art rabbi Boyarsky and Colorblind Timmy makes fun of her for it.

That's fucking depressing to be honest.

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron
They should call him Good Timing Tim, because now we have another video to watch.

I think he's realized he has too much content to share. Meaning he may not even get through it all before he dies.
So his pace is a feature not a bug.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

3:17 well they should've listened to her mansplaining Fallout 1 art style to them rather than doubling down on what ended up being the art style of TOW :lol:

Having played the game recently and seen just how bad it is firsthand seeing this somehow made it even worse. Somewhere at Obsidian is an unsung heroine that tried to save the art direction of OW only to get shot down by art rabbi Boyarsky and Colorblind Timmy makes fun of her for it.

That's why I cannot take older developers seriously. "Mansplaining" is term used: a) by people that don't like critic, b) gullible people. None of them make good game or makes you good leader, because good leader or good worker needs to have goal, ambition and work ethics. It's really hard to do anything when everybody could accuse you about wrongthinking.

Harthwain

Magister
Something to keep in mind is that Leonard isn't even a commie and made the commies on the Outer Worlds team really mad when he answered an interviewer declaring himself to be a proud liberal (which made them like and retweet one dev who said that the project leader doesn't speak for everyone on the team).
People in general have very poor understanding of how diverse "liberal" can be in terms of its meaning. I would call myself a liberal, too, but in a classical sense, not in the modern one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is Chris Avellone a seagull designer? His experience on New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity would suggest so. :P

Tim Cain's ultimate goal in all his games is to entertain the player, not to kill them. :M

Design, like writing, is one of those things with a low barrier to entry (unlike high barrier roles like programming and art) so of course a lot of people are going to be convinced they can do it no problem.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Journey to the Center of Arcanum was always going to be a source engine fps.

In the video, especially around this part as well as the part that follows about façades he refers to tiles in engine which really doesn't sound at all like source - or something that would work in an FPS - and more like the original Arcanum engine. So most likely this was for an "Arcanum 2" that was not what you refer to but one that was to iterate / build on Arcanum 1 with the same engine.

The Journey to the Center of Arcanum FPS might be something they came up with later.

Design, like writing, is one of those things with a low barrier to entry (unlike high barrier roles like programming and art) so of course a lot of people are going to be convinced they can do it no problem.

IMO it is also that people who enter in games tend to want to make games, so to me it makes sense that they'd want to have some say in how a game plays - otherwise they'd just work in another industry. The comment on the people who came with the initial idea claiming ownership also fits with that - they most likely want to feel some sort of authorship, something that especially in modern team sizes of hundreds of people is hard to do.

Though if nothing else, programmers at least have it a bit easier in that they can open an engine or IDE or whatever and throw ideas at the digital wall until something feels like sticking.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
The Journey to the Center of Arcanum FPS might be something they came up with later.

Are there any sources for an Arcanum sequel having been supposed to be a Source FPS? Because I never heard that before. I only know about the Werewolf Source demo and the Fallout 3 Source demo and even that was isometric according to the videos.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Are there any sources for an Arcanum sequel having been supposed to be a Source FPS? Because I never heard that before. I only know about the Werewolf Source demo and the Fallout 3 Source demo and even that was isometric according to the videos.
This is fairly well known, I'm surprised it's news to you: https://arcanum.fandom.com/wiki/Journey_to_the_Centre_of_Arcanum

Pitch document: https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10136

v1c70r14

Educated

It's pretty bad but even if the art direction had been saved the writing would still have been awful enough to sour the rest, at least now the surface reflects the contents by being just as ugly. What's depressing is seeing Tim sit comfortably in front of shelves of plastic junk, reminiscing about old times and being well off while the guy that fixed up his dumpsterfire code is suffering from an autoimmune disorder and the scum over at paypal won't even let him take donations so he has resorted to e-begging for Turkish giftcards, hoping to get enough support that he can pay the bills while working on a combat overhaul for Arcanum. At least that was the case last time I checked.

Due to the war I can no longer accept PayPal donations, but you can buy me Turkish giftcards here:

[email info redacted, can be found here]

If enough people show support, I may get around to releasing the combat overhaul patch I'd been working on before my health started declining (I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder). And now with the war added to the mix, I'm in a pretty bad spot.

Thanks for your kindness and support in these trying times.

Nobody should be surprised that Americans that toe the party line gets rewarded while actual passion for these games isn't, but I still find it depressing. Especially with the mostly Polish war supporters here that don't care how people are affected by it and despite kneeling for a random black American drug addict overdosing will happily dehumanize Russians and whoever else they have been told to dislike at any given time.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Something I first noticed in the video complaining about negativity towards his gay video was that when he is hostile towards someone he gets a particular sickly sweet tone of voice and false smile on his face. It gives me the creeps, I really would not want to be a subordinate of his.

Harthwain

Magister
What's depressing is seeing Tim sit comfortably in front of shelves of plastic junk, reminiscing about old times and being well off [...] Nobody should be surprised that Americans that toe the party line gets rewarded while actual passion for these games isn't, but I still find it depressing.
What a load of bullshit. Tim "sits comfortably in front of shelves of plastic junk, reminiscing about old times and being well off" not because "Americans that toe the party line gets rewarded", but because he managed to make a name for himself (arguably not as much as Avellone). Whether that's justified or not is another matter, but your "analysis" is dumb from get-go so at least get your story stright before you jump off into the political shit.

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron
Something I first noticed in the video complaining about negativity towards his gay video was that when he is hostile towards someone he gets a particular sickly sweet tone of voice and false smile on his face. It gives me the creeps, I really would not want to be a subordinate of his.
Self-aggrandizing sarcasm? It's the effeminate way of asserting dominance and being aggressive.
It's the left's version of a microaggression against their enemies, and they know you will sound like a bitch to complain about it.
So like it or not it will always be 100% effective.

The truth is about social revolutions:
You don't need win an actual mud slinging contest of any sort for change. Though it can help.
All you really need is to shit directly on another humans head using just words and/or tone of voice.
And actual superiority/inferiority matters very little.
If Free Speech ever mattered to leftism, it was in these ways.

Most importantly:
The SUSS life and the SASS life will always be complimentary.
Though one does not necessitate the other.

Now about his latest video:
I have strong opinions about idiots who think they can contribute to my project(s).
It is like Tim says seagull game designers. They shit on your desk and expect you to do the rest.
The worst is when they don't actually understand the game well enough and suggest a nonsensical change.
And in my opinion if you don't know certain things exist in the game that categorically related to your suggestion:
you've proven your seagullness. If you're a dumb fuck enough not to see there are already quests your opening suggestion
shouldn't be about how yours could be the first quest in the game. It is provably why you should never to allowed to make a quest for the game.

That said we all get excited sometimes and come up with an idea without double checking what the game already has.
Tim touched on this when he mentioned how hard it is to know when to say no to certain ideas for a game.
I think true gamedev spirit is working with as close of a clean slate as you can imagine and then coming up with stuff.
So make your own fucking game and don't bother designers who already have one. Especially if they have been on that project for a substantial time.

What's that word Tim keeps saying? Subtlety? Nuance? You can't be those things if you ignorantly come up with a change for the game
but don't fully grasp what the game already has.

I'll end by emphasizing you do need brainstorming sessions where the whole team is entitled to their BAD IDEAS.
We all misspeak or forget to take everything into consideration. But it's different doing that in a brainstorming session,
than if you actuallly had time to come up with a proposal before you brought it to the game designer.

Tim is a nicer guy than I am. This must be true because he's still outwardly nice in so many videos.
But can you imagine approaching him of all people with your ideaman birdshit brain solutions?

Never fuck around and find out if it's programmer who's also the game's lead designer.

One more thing. I think Tim is wrong about the artists and writers not being trolled by others thinking they know better.
There's no way they aren't competitive and insistent they know better than each other from time to time.
The difference is when you are the game designer you get to see how fucking ignorant your team is of the game
as a whole when they make a suggestion.

Keep making videos Tim!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I talk about my experiences as a game programmer, including some challenges game programmers may face and the one trait all programmers need to cultivate.

v1c70r14

Educated
but because he managed to make a name for himself (arguably not as much as Avellone).
How do you think fortunes and names are made in times like these? I'm sure that great comrade Leviev deserves all those medals that threaten to rip his shirt with all their weight despite not participating in any wars and austere Father Krivtsevich surely must have earned the gulag, which doesn't exist by the way. There is an ongoing cultural revolution in America and when people fall out of favor like Avellone they are removed from public view and unpersoned, those that are friends and family to the regime, or are loyalist zealots are rewarded, the former more than the later.

I said I found it depressing that the guy who fixed up Troika's best game wasn't doing so well while the bad programmer that made that effort necessary in the first place get budgets and spotlight for new games by the corporations whose politics he promulgates. How naive one must be to think Josh Sawyer shouting at people during production of the last RPGs he made to make them more gay, or whatever it was, got nothing to do with his dream flash visual novel.

Enemies of the regime are punished, no matter how innocent, and those that back it live the good life. That's how it always works. I don't care so much for the apparatchiks as I find those unfortunates sad, predictably loyalists here don't want to talk about the guy who is worse off, preferring to white knight their fag queen and his corporate sermons.

I'm not even Rus but you can have a big bold Z from me. This forum is too gay for me, and I'm not talking about the furries, the weeaboos or ERP:ers but the bugmen trying to gaslight everyone else that there is nothing political about anything within video games and mindless supporters of a war intended to hurt both Europe and Russia.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
I said I found it depressing that the guy who fixed up Troika's best game wasn't doing so well while the bad programmer that made that effort necessary in the first place get budgets and spotlight for new games by the corporations whose politics he promulgates.

At least you got that bunny in Divinity: Original Sin.

Harthwain

Magister
I said I found it depressing that the guy who fixed up Troika's best game wasn't doing so well [...]
Cool. Except:

1) It has jack shit to do with Tim Cain being an American and Drog being a Russian(?). You can have Americans ending up homeless or scrapping the barrel to get by, because that's how great the American Dream is (read: there is no American Dream anymore. Everything is shit).

2) Arcanum is not Troika's most successful game (even if we do agree, for the sake of an argument, that it's the best one) and Drog is a modder. You know, someone who does work in unofficial capacity? Don't expect for him to do well in any scenario when he is not working on something that is entirely his own project.

This forum is too gay for me [...]
Nobody is keeping you here. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, fake 2023 troll account user who's clearly trying to start a political flame war on a subject that's not really related to it. Want to talk about fucking politics for real? There is a special subforum for that. Wait until you grow up to get there or pay and earn the right to shitpost there right now. I have enough news and talk about the war and war-related politics in real life and plenty other online places to let it spill into a fucking VIDEO GAME FORUM where I frequent.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
but because he managed to make a name for himself (arguably not as much as Avellone).
How do you think fortunes and names are made in times like these? I'm sure that great comrade Leviev deserves all those medals that threaten to rip his shirt with all their weight despite not participating in any wars and austere Father Krivtsevich surely must have earned the gulag, which doesn't exist by the way. There is an ongoing cultural revolution in America and when people fall out of favor like Avellone they are removed from public view and unpersoned, those that are friends and family to the regime, or are loyalist zealots are rewarded, the former more than the later.

I said I found it depressing that the guy who fixed up Troika's best game wasn't doing so well while the bad programmer that made that effort necessary in the first place get budgets and spotlight for new games by the corporations whose politics he promulgates. How naive one must be to think Josh Sawyer shouting at people during production of the last RPGs he made to make them more gay, or whatever it was, got nothing to do with his dream flash visual novel.

Enemies of the regime are punished, no matter how innocent, and those that back it live the good life. That's how it always works. I don't care so much for the apparatchiks as I find those unfortunates sad, predictably loyalists here don't want to talk about the guy who is worse off, preferring to white knight their fag queen and his corporate sermons.

I'm not even Rus but you can have a big bold Z from me. This forum is too gay for me, and I'm not talking about the furries, the weeaboos or ERP:ers but the bugmen trying to gaslight everyone else that there is nothing political about anything within video games and mindless supporters of a war intended to hurt both Europe and Russia.
giphy.gif

turkishronin

Arcane

I used to like your CRPG blog... what happened to you...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom