Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Modron

Arcane
Why do you guys dislike TOW so much?
Because it was average at best when we were hoping for at least decent to good for what it was.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
The only thing memorable about TOW is that virtually all of the female characters looked like lesbians. Gameplay was unremarkable, not terrible but not especially good either.

Because of the pedigree of the developers, everyone was expecting something like Fallout 1/2, Bloodlines, Fallout: New Vegas. Instead we got some bland dull soulless mediocrity.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
What were the key things or systems that were a letdown?

I’ve not played it yet.
Nothing was actually good. Things weren't egregiously bad (except the some of the colours, holy shit!) either but *something* needs to be good in a game for it to be worth playing.

People were expecting good things and got one of the blandest experiences ever.

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron
Anyone still watching? I lost interest.

I thought the "advice to designers" one would be interesting, but it was really low IQ stuff, so I quickly zoned out. Maybe NoMoneyNoFameNoDame should watch these
Wasn't useful to me either. Give him time to circle back. Once he unlearns the pesky social-skill of not oversharing, we will get into the good stuff.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Another interesting episode:

Tim Cain said:
I talk about the difficulty in assigning credit to developers on video games, and I use the story of companions in Fallout to illustrate this problem. I have seen this problem my whole career, it's still happening, and I am not sure how to solve it.

Geomancer86

Literate
Credits should be pretty straightforward, the higher you are, the higher the contribution, Hollywood solved this more than a century ago.

-M-

Learned
I just love how pointless credits have become. Hollywood has gone from 90 seconds of opening titles with basically zero end credits, to roughly 6 minutes of end credits (Star Wars, 1977) to 10 minutes of end credits (Return of the King, 2003). Quite a miracle it's been mostly stable for the past two decades, despite crews ballooning in size. Still, there's really no need to list all 17 assistants for the lead actor or every short-order cook that worked catering.

Meanwhile good luck finding AAA games with credits shorter than 30 mins. Jedi Survivor is 38 mins, Cyberpunk is 40 mins, any major Ubisoft game can last up to an hour. They all list all the names for every localization and include every studio executive that farted while thinking about the game and it all goes hand in hand with how bloated and boring their games have become. Hollywood listing any studio executives is extremely rare.

Funny that Cyberpunk is so long because Witcher 3 was only 13 mins long.

People who get credited might not get paid and viceversa. If anything, crediting someone with work also opens the door for talent poaching.
The best credit screens were from the Yoko Taro-led games, where names are shown in alphabetic order instead of ordering them by ego size.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
isn't more than half of what goes into getting a (better) job in the industry your credentials? Makes sense they would fight tooth and nail over having their work recognized.
He says there are old fogeys today bitching at him for not giving proper credit in his videos for things they did literally decades ago.

Then there was the guy who refuses to talk to the media but got irate that Tim didn't give an interviewer his name regarding something to which he contributed (an interview he explicitly turned down even).

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
isn't more than half of what goes into getting a (better) job in the industry your credentials? Makes sense they would fight tooth and nail over having their work recognized.
He says there are old fogeys today bitching at him for not giving proper credit in his videos for things they did literally decades ago.
yeah idk sounds like a proper grognard mindset. They could also just not give two fucks about their old work.

Probably has everything to do with being a soft spoken, conflict averse faggot and nothing to do with anything else.
Maybe. But this soft-spoken, conflict averse faggot made Fallout, so... people would more interested in what he has to say, rather than what you have to say.

Besides, it's not like he can't change his mind? He has all the time in the world. He can just play a game, and then give his 2 cents for 10 minutes. Nobody can fault a man for eventually becoming a grandpa.
Yes, he would probably have many interesting things to say. problem is, he's obviously unwilling to "be mean" ie. say what he really thinks, because he sees it as shitting where he eats. among other things, i'd like to see him do a fully honest review of outer worlds, which was a dumpster full of diarrhea diapers. it would actually be interesting to see the creator of Fallout talk about all the resulting clones/homages.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Yes, he would probably have many interesting things to say. problem is, he's obviously unwilling to "be mean" ie. say what he really thinks, because he sees it as shitting where he eats. among other things, i'd like to see him do a fully honest review of outer worlds, which was a dumpster full of diarrhea diapers. it would actually be interesting to see the creator of Fallout talk about all the resulting clones/homages.

They’re all feminized and shekel-minded, so any criticism is simultaneously seen as a vicious assault and upsetting the apple cart. So it’s never happening.

Geomancer86

Literate
Sounds like there are a lot of prissy prima donnas in the game industry.
Tim mentioned working on a game and not being properly credited, and getting very annoyed at an interview when this was brought up. Credits are the only proof you worked on such a game/movie/etc, your next job depends a lot on being credited.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
i'd like to see him do a fully honest review of outer worlds, which was a dumpster full of diarrhea diapers.
Every video he's given so far has given me the impression he thinks it's a good game that he's not entirely satisfied with (which is always the case) and would find this comment unconstructive and therefore worthless. :M

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
As I'm watching all these interviews between Tim, Leonard and JT, what strikes me the most is their way of speech. "He told me this and I was like... And he was like... And then I was like". It's non stop. It's a speech parasite that they all have, but it also makes their speech sound childish. Is this a Californian thing? Are they retarded?

KVVRR

Learned
Honestly thinking about it the fallout artstyle might've fitted the Outer Worlds setting better than the one they went with. The whole point is that you wake up 90 years after your compatriots have awoken and everything is in a state of disrepair; people are malnourished, nobody knows how to fix anything anymore. It'd make sense for things to look beaten to shit, rusted, reused and recycled over and over again. Tonally I suppose it makes more sense for the tech and buildings to look cookie-cut and prefabricated as they do; it helps with the souless corpo thing they've blasted through the whole game. But in-universe it shouldn't be like this outside of Byzantium, maybe. They can't even afford to repair the ships that are supposed to be in orbit 24-7 yet everything looks surprisingly clean, even in shitholes like that one planet with the indian leader guy and the uh... iconocasts? i can't remember their names.
I'm surprised that I can recall so many specific locations from the game visually considering how little impact they've had for me. I remember pretty vividly the colors on that planet with the stupid toothpaste quest, the meteor with the gorillas, or the small volcano in the first planet, despite those places having very little content to speak of. Maybe there's something there.
I've said it before but while the colors are annoying at best and visually aggressive at worst at least they make the game stand out a bit more though. The last thing Outer Worlds needs is to be even more mediocre.
Maybe they just didn't want it to be that close to Fallout in terms of setting (the retrofuturistic stuff was already kinda pushing it) so they decided to go with this direction instead. Clean corpo soulless box-buildings instead of rusty, beaten down and rebuilt 9 times over by people who don't even know how to even hold a hammer anymore.

MerchantKing

Learned
He says he quit playing MMOs and all social media because of "toxic communities". I guess that answers why he left the Codex, too.
Codex assholes scared Tim away by relentlessly bashing him for his idea about using geometric shapes to represent attributes, so apparently some kind of radar chart. The chimp out was epic.

Shame on all of you bozos that participated. Shame on you.

1RDSyqM.gif
The Star of David is the highest level you can get in any stat.

d1nolore

Savant
interesting but they are really pedantic about who came up with what. It really stifles the flow of the conversation.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
As I'm watching all these interviews between Tim, Leonard and JT, what strikes me the most is their way of speech. "He told me this and I was like... And he was like... And then I was like". It's non stop. It's a speech parasite that they all have, but it also makes their speech sound childish. Is this a Californian thing? Are they retarded?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom