Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Warhawk47

Literate
I wish he wouldn't keep emphasizing that "everybody" in the industry is a jerkoff just itching to screw you (personally) over. Even if he's right as far as mainstream, west coast devs go, the least he could do is be a bit more positive about turning it around somehow, grass roots or what have you.

As for his comments about "one point fiasco" it underlines my previous point: His experience and skills as a designer and manager are imbalanced. He caved to the majority, directly in contradiction with better overall judgment (which is the role of the designer) and did so at the very end of development when such radical changes to something as essential as core game stats should be anathema (poor management.) If you told Tim to swap out the entire game engine less than 3 months before shipping, he'd tell you to pound sand. As a programmer, he knows that's not only stupid, it's suicidal. Why was his conviction on the design side lacking by comparison? Why did he go with the knee-jerk "solution" anyway? Why not propose (or implement by fiat, because the buck stops there) a compromise solution? Change the sliding scale of increasing point costs, make it cheaper overall, but preserve the exponential increase. Going from exponential to linear isn't a small thing. It would be far easier to iterate this as well, since the established pattern should have been set by previous testing at max "difficulty," giving an upper bound.

He was never trained in business, granted. But it also looks like the logical underpinnings of business decision-making are missing. "Promoted beyond his competence" as the military saying goes. Some part of him seems to admit that, but the remaining ego will not.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Are Chris and Tim on good terms?
J0jZ82P.jpg

They would have been on better terms if Chris Avellone had been paid for it.

rojay

Scholar
I liked Tim before he became my crazy, drunk aunt explaining how I don't know what it's like to be ...

Not saying he's drunk. Just my aunt.

Zeriel

Arcane
Are Chris and Tim on good terms?

At least Chris has given a shout out to Tim's channel on different occasions, I think he even posted the Fallout 2 video on his Linkedin page. He must hold a lot of respect for him:

There's this dynamic where the original creator of something often undervalues it or doesn't care as much about it as people who like it and work on it later. That might explain some of this. CA definitely seemed to respect Fallout, some of the excesses in 2 notwithstanding.

Zeriel

Arcane
There more that get known about development, the more I'm sure that the games we hold dear are just happy accidents.

Oftentimes it's the result of the culture at the time too. There's only so much you can trust someone's opinion 20-30 years after the fact. The person they were back then would probably stridently disagree with the person they are now.

sosmoflux

Educated
I found the 1-point dilemma particularly strange because, in real game development, designers are expected to take in information (in his case, the 16 other team members) and then build satisfying solutions that are well designed and appease most peoples' problems.

No doubt he's being reductive to make a fun point for a video or whatever- but it's kind of a self own that the design lead couldn't figure out a solution beyond one he likes and another everyone else likes. Just, like, design something better, man.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Have fewer level-ups. Give more points per level. Increase the cost of higher tier stuff. Holy shit that was a tough nut to crack.

He caved to the majority, directly in contradiction with better overall judgment (which is the role of the designer) and did so at the very end of development when such radical changes to something as essential as core game stats should be anathema (poor management.) If you told Tim to swap out the entire game engine less than 3 months before shipping, he'd tell you to pound sand. As a programmer, he knows that's not only stupid, it's suicidal. Why was his conviction on the design side lacking by comparison? Why did he go with the knee-jerk "solution" anyway? Why not propose (or implement by fiat, because the buck stops there) a compromise solution? Change the sliding scale of increasing point costs, make it cheaper overall, but preserve the exponential increase. Going from exponential to linear isn't a small thing. It would be far easier to iterate this as well, since the established pattern should have been set by previous testing at max "difficulty," giving an upper bound.

It' s because he managed to successfully switch the ruleset of Fallout few weeks before shipping. It gave him a confidence in making such rapid changes right before shipping.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It' s because he managed to successfully switch the ruleset of Fallout few weeks before shipping. It gave him a confidence in making such rapid changes right before shipping.
Fallout's system wasn't his. That was Chris Taylor's homebrew that he created in high school, Tim's only contribution was adding Luck.

Fallout's system wasn't his. That was Chris Taylor's homebrew that he created in high school, Tim's only contribution was adding Luck.

I know that and all problems mentioned concerning doing quick changes to fundamental game mechanics near release still aplpy.

Warhawk47

Literate
The fact that it wasn't his system is the lynchpin: From the sounds of it, I don't think he'd ever designed and built his own (complicated, multi-faceted) game from the bottom up, from the mechanics and interface to the graphics and marketing fluff. His code-engine "toys" didn't seem to fit this bill. Without that experience, he never ran into the first-hand problem of changing something fundamental and breaking the rest of it. It's as if he discounted mechanics as being "easy" to produce and incidental, focusing everything on fluff content (a balance pass wasn't a priority? That's crazy!) Contrast that to myself or any other current-day dev, indie or hobbyist especially, who almost has no choice but to learn these things. Explains a lot, especially if he took "decades" to learn from the aftermath. If you really want to wax philosophical, consider why it took him that long. But that's something better left to the man himself.

Geomancer86

Literate
He keeps posting daily and I'm wondering what will happen first, will he run of topics or cool unseen shirts first?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Another video firmly establishing that all the RPGs you like are only as good as they are due to luck and circumstance and there was never any grand genius behind them. It's amazing that there are any good RPGs at all.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Another video firmly establishing that all the RPGs you like are only as good as they are due to luck and circumstance and there was never any grand genius behind them. It's amazing that there are any good RPGs at all.
dhBmEqnEOWbZ_640x360.jpg

96bc0b62-ab6d-11ed-8b70-02420a00019a.webp

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom