Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:betrayed:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Loving how professors at the diploma mills are encouraging their students to commit fraud. :lol:

"If there's a game that you can make a build, a character build in an RPG that literally can't finish the game, that's bad" - Tim Cain going full Sawyer. He also seethed that he lost a lot of progress in Ultima Underworld because he accidentally destroyed a critical item. :)

"I know I'm not good at balancing, find someone good at that," - Tim wishing Sawyer was more involved in The Outer Worlds

3:17 well they should've listened to her mansplaining Fallout 1 art style to them rather than doubling down on what ended up being the art style of TOW :lol:
Name that woman and promote her. Leonard was wrong and she was right to be condescending to that old has-been. Saying he knew better is appeal-to-authority.

Tim idea that Leonard being an author of Fallout art style must necessarily mean he understands why the art style works is fallacious. Authors routinely fail to understand why their art works.

bobocrunch

Educated
Cain talking about how he doesn't really care about people's opinions unless he knows them / what they care about is pretty funny when you think about the Obsidian Glassdoor reviews about them being incompetent micromanagers who don't have any flexibility or care for junior staff's takes. Tim (and I'm sure the boomer crew by extension) is proud of stifling what little creativity or passion can bloom in the company out of some fixation on uninspired and outdated technique, choosing to instead bump up people who don't rock the boat and fit their story-first outlook like Writer Carrie to direct a Skyrim clone

Put these dudes on ice already they've had enough chances

Last edited:

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron
Tim idea that Leonard being an author of Fallout art style must necessarily mean he understands why the art style works is fallacious. Authors routinely fail to understand why their art works.

I found an interesting transcript of Boyarski debating Outer World's art style with some woman.
It is unverified ofcourse.

Woman: Hey Mr. B.

Boyarski: What's up, *redacted*?

Woman: I've been researching FO1's art style as a reference, and I noticed it has many advantages over this new art style you've defined.
Have you thought about just using it instead of the new art style? You are after-all the best guy to teach how to do it.

Boyarski: No. Absolutely No. Laughs. My job as an artist is to keep advancing.
And the best way to do that is to let old themes die and try new ones hoping for similar success.
This is what progress is and will always be. Coincidences would have to happen for me to be inspired to do anything with FO1's art style anyway.

Woman: Yeah but I think FO1 art style does coincidentally have better visuals to it than TOWs current. It's for a couple reasons..

Boyarski: Ha! That's nice of you to say. But I mean this respectfully you're just not fully grasping how TOW's aesthetic will be received.
We need an aesthetic for the current era. That's why I joined Obsidian to make something original. The glory of the old days
died when Vampire shipped early. I won't go into that again. The past traumatizes me to even think about. Which is exactly why Rick & Morty meets No Man Sky
is the futuristic and best way to intelligently go about the whole aesthetic. Who cares what looks better? What's new is more important challenge.

Woman: Uh.. right. I understand where you're coming from but I just think the FO1 art style has some exceptional merits to it even today.
TOW's doesn't seem to have the same exceptionalism about it. If you could hear me out..

Boyarski: Oof. Listen *redacted*, putting side all subjective considerations, I already know that ok?
I wish you simply would read between the lines here. Laughs. What i'm trying to achieve is just different ok?
This game's aesthetic is about progress. We're not making Fallout. We just aren't.
The whole point of this new universe is it's not actually Fallout, but we're gonna pretend it can be.
You may as well bring up Arcanum's style, and that would be silly. Been there done that.

Woman: Fine, my mistake I thought you would be more open discussing my suggestion in detail, and I was wrong make that assumption.

Boyarski: Hey i'm sorry if I seem so closed to entertaining the idea. I just know for the game we're making,
it doesn't need FO1's art style to be good. FO1's art style is finished, and I don't see how to evolve it, I don't want to think about it.
What matters right now is I am a Co-Director with Tim, which makes me a designer first and an artist second. Trust me on this *redacted*.
Decision is made.

Woman: It's ok Mr B, thanks for hearing me out.

Boyarski: Sure anytime. Oh and remind Chris *redacted* to update the list of offensive character names.

Woman: Will do.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
Tim Cain's a Halo fan, huh? I've been going through the first game these past few days, a bit perplexed about why it took off the way it did.

Because it was fun in co op and multiplayer, and most normal people have friends to play games with.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Tim Cain's a Halo fan, huh? I've been going through the first game these past few days, a bit perplexed about why it took off the way it did.
Stoic überdude with hot AI sidechick killing different sorts of aliens. Plus you could play through it on split screen with your bros from the couch.

Jesus H Christ Roguey what the fuck were you doing with your life.

Egosphere

Arcane
Stoic überdude with hot AI sidechick killing different sorts of aliens. Plus you could play through it on split screen with your bros from the couch.

Jesus H Christ Roguey what the fuck were you doing with your life.
Apart from the voice, she wasnt hot until the 3rd game

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Journey to the Center of Arcanum was meant to continue the story of the Arcanum protagonist with a high level character instead of starting over even though it was going to be an fps. :what:

Looks like he and Styg are on the same wavelength regarding high-level character building in an expansion/sequel. While those are some neat ideas he had, I'm not sure how well he would have been able to execute them. Arcanum's character system was pretty lousy, and a sequel with entirely different gameplay would have been the perfect excuse to start over and make one that actually works well with the content they were creating. Probably would have ended up as jank as Arcanum (if not jankier).

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
btw, has anyone ever played an archer in Arcanum? I can't imagine it holds up well against throwing/guns, especially in the early game.

Always thought it would be cool to play a Dark Elf sympathizer with bow and nature and summoning spells, but that would probably be gimped af.

Modron

Arcane
Archery is actually very very strong in Arcanum, especially once you get the mastery training which lets you shoot two arrows for each attack doubling the already very strong damage. Haven't done the math but it's possibly stronger than non backstabing all the time 20 str melee.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Archery is actually very very strong in Arcanum, especially once you get the mastery training which lets you shoot two arrows for each attack doubling the already very strong damage. Haven't done the math but it's possibly stronger than non backstabing all the time 20 str melee.
Problem is it just chews through your supply of arrows like crazy.
Also a problem for certain firearms which need A LOT of bullets in order to do damage. Case in point, the Mechanized Gun has a speed of 25, one of the fastest weapons in the game, but it expends 6 bullets per shot...
Still a great weapon though, does respectable damage, just not very ammo efficient.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Once he learned that he's severely underpaid at Interplay he seriously considered quitting and said as much to Alan Pavlish so in the end he got the raise (although he was still underpaid considering his education and experience).

Last edited:

v1c70r14

Educated

3:17 well they should've listened to her mansplaining Fallout 1 art style to them rather than doubling down on what ended up being the art style of TOW :lol:

Having played the game recently and seen just how bad it is firsthand seeing this somehow made it even worse. Somewhere at Obsidian is an unsung heroine that tried to save the art direction of OW only to get shot down by art rabbi Boyarsky and Colorblind Timmy makes fun of her for it.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
even though it was going to be an fps.

I had the video in the background while doing something else so i might have missed something, but perhaps those notes were from an iteration where they used the same engine as the first game? I think i remember (the video) mentioning something about tiles, which i'm not sure it'd make sense in an FPS (assuming they didn't plan to make levels like in the original FPS Creator or something like that).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
even though it was going to be an fps.

I had the video in the background while doing something else so i might have missed something, but perhaps those notes were from an iteration where they used the same engine as the first game? I think i remember (the video) mentioning something about tiles, which i'm not sure it'd make sense in an FPS (assuming they didn't plan to make levels like in the original FPS Creator or something like that).
In the description box:
I describe the extensions I had planned for Arcanum 2's system mechanics for use in Journey To The Center Of Arcanum.
Journey to the Center of Arcanum was always going to be a source engine fps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom