Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
4) His longest game is Bard's Tale Construction Set since you can make an endless amount of content with it, Arcanum coming in second
Wait? He worked on BTCS? Is this why FARGO refuses to make an enhanced BTCS DLC for TBTT?

Mobygames BTCS

DOS credits (1991)​

21 people (19 professional roles, 2 thanks) with 29 credits.

Well…. How the fuck did I miss that? see, told ya I fucking hardly ever look at gaming credits seriously. It is just blah blah blah blah….

Ok, I’ll watch this one. Dunno if there are other Bardstale related vids.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Would really suck if devs actually care about reviews in general..
Obviously devs care about reviews. Human nature, we want feedback and reviews are the best way to get it.
They should stop caring about scores, particularly metacritic's obviously-imprecise aggregate score. Words matter more than getting a "90."

On the other hand, Steam's simple up/down vote is probably worth paying attention to. If more than half the people who bought a game don't like it, you've clearly messed up

abija

Prophet
Obviously devs care about reviews. Human nature, we want feedback and reviews are the best way to get it.

How is some mongoloid that cares more about maximizing controversy or pushing some agenda a good way to get it (nevermind best).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

How is some mongoloid that cares more about maximizing controversy or pushing some agenda a good way to get it (nevermind best).
Well, at least they are more polite than you. Being an asshole only works here, in the real world, not so much

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
1) Fallout is his best game going by how many people talked about it in a positive way

2) The Outer Worlds is his best selling game by far, Codex seething

3) His highest rated games on metacritic are Fallout and Pillars of Eternity, Codex seething

4) His longest game is Bard's Tale Construction Set since you can make an endless amount of content with it, Arcanum coming in second

5) Arcanum is his most original game, but Fallout could also qualify

6) One could argue many of his games are bad because they're buggy

7) ToEE could also be bad because of the dialogues, pacing, and quests

"A good game is a game you like" tsk.

Here's an objective way to analyze things: "What were the goals and how well were they accomplished?" There is some level of subjectivity to this on account of how a game can't be all things to everyone (and games made for the broadest possible audience will turn off a lot of people who want something that caters to their niche), but you can get by it if you can think from more than just your own perspective.

TLDR everything Black Isle and Troika made was good

everything after was trash. 2004 was the cutoff point as everyone well knows

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reviews can be useful but IMO nowadays by far most useful are Let's Play videos where the player comments on what is going on. These will give easily 10x more information than any review.

Assuming they're done in good faith and the player engages with the game of course, i've seen some videos where the player is more interested in making a clown of themselves and miss (or worse, willfully misinterpret) a bunch of stuff in a game and then rages about it.

ds

Cipher
Patron
On the other hand, Steam's simple up/down vote is probably worth paying attention to. If more than half the people who bought a game don't like it, you've clearly messed up
Steam aggregate ratings are a pretty accurate measurement how well a game fulfills expectations set by the store page and other marketing material but it's pretty bad as an absolute score - and completely useless for comparing games from different genres.

Terra

Cipher
There are plenty of seagull designers out there, not enough programmer's designers
Modern video game development discourages multiple roles per person unfortunately.
But I agree that any designer needs to understand the game engine/tools to even remotely make something viable. It also helps to see through programmer's bullshit when they lie about what can be made in said engine.
It does, furthermore, you may also be typecast. I recall being asked point blank in one interview why I wasn't applying for a programming role within a company over the design position I was applying for, as though my preference for what I want to do wasn't a factor. HR & whoever else is involved in the hiring process will think they know what you *should* be doing more than you do and you may find yourself unable to move out of a particular discipline, even if you could potentially have worn multiple hats in the past. It actually keeps people that have both technical & creative sides out of fields like design and therefore it should come as little surprise that the more well-rounded candidates (rare though they are) are screened out (and that's if hybrid roles even exist in any capacity in the first place). Outside of indie, gone are the days where a couple of people get together and just get shit done, not even worrying about who is doing what.

And in my experience, true "imposters" don't feel imposter syndrome, even when they should. You can mock and laugh at these seagull designers all you like yet they typically exist within a web of likeminded shirkers and thus get away with continued inadequacy while moving through life quite seamlessly.

Alter Sack

Magister
Why does he wear so many popsicle shirts?
Who knows?
thinking.png

lollipop.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If Meb were still around she'd be disappointed that Tim-m-o stopped playing them before Final Fantasy XIV fixed itself.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim blaming overscoping on publishers, which is fair, but they're all dumb. Obsidian and inXile's overscoping problems on their crowdfunded projects are entirely on their own leadership.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
What's the last AA/AAA game you heard of that didn't have overscoping/crunch? There are probably a few examples, but it's apparently a really widespread problem. It makes me think it's just incompetent developers. No matter how little you put on their plate, they're going to complain that it's too much.

None

Arbiter
What's the last AA/AAA game you heard of that didn't have overscoping/crunch? There are probably a few examples, but it's apparently a really widespread problem. It makes me think it's just incompetent developers. No matter how little you put on their plate, they're going to complain that it's too much.
I think most of it is just normal project flow and any extraordinary issues stem from poor handling on the individual and managerial level. Almost every project, technical or not, that I've worked on or been witness to has always had some sort of crunch unless it was a very routine project where there are very few unknowns. All this crunch talk really just feels like the games industry catching up with the rest of the world now that games are becoming less of a guaranteed return on investment. Carie Patel's talk at GDC was particularly alarming to me as she was talking about some fairly standard and common sense practices in order to curb crunch, but that might just be an Obsidian thing.

pickmeister

Learned
Haven't worked on a video game but was unlucky enough to work through many small crunches in other industries and it's always a combination of lazy people and mismanagement.

Some examples:
1) I have a task A. For the task A, I need info/mock-up/foundation from person Z. Person Z claims to be busy with other tasks or waits for someone else. I think person Z is a lazy fucking idiot who's only good at making excuses but project team doesn't object so what can I do. Therefore I proceed with other tasks to enjoy crunch before deadline.
2) Here are tasks B, C, D, and E. B is an important foundation many other tasks are built on and was quickly hacked together at the start to have a minimal viable product to work with. Task C, D, and E are partially (or even fully) reliant on task B. Project team focuses on tasks C, D, and E.
"Hey, project team, shouldn't we focus on task B for a short while, to clean it up and flesh out other functions we need, so we have a smoother process with the other tasks and avoid waiting for dependencies?"
"Are you crazy? Those are important extremely high visibility tasks that need to be shown to the CEO/board/director/customer/whoever. Otherwise, there would be nothing to present!".
Aight ya fuck but don't say I didn't warn you.
3) Here we have 20 small tasks that would take 2 - 3 days to complete and more small tasks keep piling up and are going to be a huge annoyance once deadline comes. Some require collaboration and decision. Perhaps we should do them now when we have a bit of a breathing room?
"We can't afford dedicating our resources to these small tasks when we have the big ones here.".
4) "Hey, how is it going with that big task you're working on for half a year now?"
"Yeah, they changed their vision of the final product, which means we're starting again. For the third time now."
5) "What are you working on? Shouldn't you be fixing the bugs we got from quality?"
"Yeah, but the boss just stopped by with a new feature that needs to be ready for the presentation next week. He said it's for the big guy and extremely important. You know how it is."
"Yeah..."

And tons of others I could come up with. It always comes down to working with idiots.
The moment deadlines comes, suddenly, everybody is extremely efficient, no one is coming with useless reworks or adding useless features to please higher-ups and small decisions are made by individuals as they can't afford to wait for approval with every bullshit.
I'm sure it's absolutely the same in vidya industry.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Opinion: crunch is *necessary* for developing complex games in a reasonable amount of time. Go back and read about the development of a lot of Codex classics. Some of the Thief 2 developers were living in the Looking Glass offices unbathed.

Hagashager

Educated
Crunch is an inevitable fact of life- not just in a Capitalistic sense, but in general.

You can jolly well bet there was an awful lot of life threatening crunch during Stalin's Five Year Plan.

That doesn't change the fact that crunch, as experienced in Tech, appears to be unreasonably protracted. I work in manufacturing, we have deadlines, crazy ones too, including same-day orders. At the worst of our days no one's pulling all-nighters, napping next to the machinery or skipping breakfast.

From what I gather Tech is a unique blend of profound incompetence by management and profound incompetence by the developers.

pickmeister

Learned
From what I gather Tech is a unique blend of profound incompetence by management and profound incompetence by the developers.
Yeah. That's because they can "afford" it. When a manufacturing worker is tired and sticks his hand in a running lathe, you have fucking problem. There's no equivalent for that in tech. When a dev team goes full retard in a code, most won't notice. When customers start complaining, it's already too late and the management is already on to something else. Or excuse it by whatever. It's harder to make excuses for a worker that has some new stamps on his spine and skull because he fainted into a powerhammer.

Last edited:

Hagashager

Educated
Valid point. A large chunk of our rigorous curation of schedules and times comes from the fact that the alternative is someone loses a limb at the plasma cutter or shear-saw.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Everything he listed is a management issue. Denial was strong in this video.

It is a management issue in that everything (including tasks to do, hires, projects, etc) boils down to some manager's decision, but that also makes the argument kinda worthless.

Go back and read about the development of a lot of Codex classics.

Or, more related, watch Tim's "lost decade" video.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom