Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Check your bigotry more like.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Public apologies after a private one are submissive behavior and Tim is a natural sub.
it's really ugly shit - the idea is that the offense is saying the quiet part out loud, so you apologise privately for any hurt feelings
to apologise publicly after the fact is restating the quiet part out loud in a very explicit manner, and that Burger Becky would have a nigga acting out publicly means there was no offense in the first place, it's pure sub/dom fetish dynamics
we're watching 2 old fags engaging in foreplay

Egosphere

Arcane
Durability and other attrition features are pointless busywork unless if gameplay is purposefully built around it, survival genre style.
Hate durability. However, I think a damage bonus added to a weapon in pristine condition which degrades to some baseline over continued usage until you 'repair' it would work quite well.

Egosphere

Arcane
So what are the chances that Outer Worlds 2 actually turns out great this time around? Have they listening to feedback and criticism on the first game? And they have a much bigger budget now im assuming into the AAA territory.
Supposedly, he is still very much shadow game director and Leonard Boyarsky is the main game director.

I remember being quite disappointed with outer worlds giving the fact that two of the most well-renowned people were spear-heading it, perhaps it was scope, design or budget-retraints, who knows. Have Tim or Leonard ever commented on the criticism anywhere?

I REALLY want outer worlds 2 to be the REAL fallout + firefly or fallout in space game that they couldnt seemingly make with the first game for various reasons.

We all want the REAL New Vegas in space game.

PLEASE TIM, make it good.
I'd say 10%. 90% that it's simply bland, uninspired, and forgettable.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
these groomers are sinister - they're making a calculated effort to compliment Tim's greatest insecurity, The Outer Worlds

Zeriel

Arcane
I went back and forth on it for a while of, maybe he's just being polite and he isn't really as stupid as he presents himself in interviews and talks nowadays, but after this nonsense I think it's fair to say of Tim: "What a fucking retard."

At least he had a productive youth.

Zeriel

Arcane
so deadnaming is when you bring up someone's professional past who used to be relevant

Yeah I actually had this experience when people were talking about the actress who transitioned using her new name and I had no fucking clue who they were talking about for a while. You can't refer to public figures who are famous as their old name as the new name, especially when their popularity nosedives off a cliff after transitioning and they do no new work. You might as well refer to Jesus Christ as Flozzlegurp the Majestic and then be offended when people have no idea who you are talking about. Like most left-wing activism, it's societal and linguistic sabotage, bombing away cognitive clarity and leaving nothing but confusion and ruin in its wake.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I like having some form of weapon durability. It's a way to incentivize wider equipment use throughout the game if done right. You keep iron/steel weapons around for a long while in most Fire Emblems and Daggerfall because constantly using the more expensive ones bankrupts you. Fallout 3/NV repair system gives an incentive to pick up lower tier weapons for both repair and loot when they are abundant, since a fully repaired shittier weapon is usually worth more per inventory weight than a sole barely intact higher tier weapon. And then there's the limited uses vs strength aspect that Souls games used for bleed weapons and such.
But I do not see much benefit in armor durability mechanics. Weapon wearing down screws your damage output, but picking up a shittier spare vs backing out completely is something I consider instead of just hitting quickload. Weapon durability also tends to always happen purely from player input. But armor or shield breaking down has never not been frustrating to me in games. It tends to happen from enemy input, emergency replacement gear tends to be too heavy to be kept around and chest pieces in particular tend to be the single most expensive piece of equipment so it's expensive. It's simply something you wish never happens as opposed to something you want to strategize around for. And god forbid if an environmental hazard requires armor with particular resistance, which then breaks down. If armor durability is there just as a money sink, then invent better ones, because this one absolutely sucks.
In general, I think durability is a good mechanic particularly in games where you control a single character and player input has more impact than dice rolls. For example I don't see much point in regular arrows/bolts being finite in IE games, where you can't manually aim individual shots.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He'd add procedural generation for the overworld map like Arcanum. :decline:

He'd improve UI and AI.

Redo the art in higher detail.

Add creature respawning to the world in all the locations. :decline:

Increase the level cap....? But in a normal game of Fallout you would have to relentlessly grind to even hit it. Sniper is a level 18 perk but in my playthrough when I went around killing every enemy, I only just barely made it to level 15 before reaching the Master. Although I guess this is what that creature respawning is for (later in the video he confirms this).

More reactivity, including changes to maps during play.

Fixing the end slides and adding more.

Massive mechanics pass. For attributes, charisma should do more, and intelligence wouldn't affect the number of skill points. Skill pass: combining doctor and first aid (Sawyer beaming), gambling either made more useful or rolled into something else. Doing what Fallout 2 did and make the Friendly Foe perk an inherent part of the interface. Traits pass: Nerf Gifted (pick two or three attributes to raise up instead of +1 to all seven).

Fixing the bugs of course.

As flawed as Fallout is, I'm glad he'll likely never be able to do this. +M

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
combining doctor and first aid
yeah, that's an obvious one - roll the skills into one, but keep both buttons
you could make an intelligence conditional so it functions like doctor + first aid and you can express yourself as a high functioning doctor if you meet it, and an attribute score sum conditional so you could possibly still function as an idiot surgeon (ie luck + perception + agility - strength = 20 = heal limbs), otherwise it does only first aid stuff
idiot doctor (or a jinxed one) can critically fail and be weaponised
perform low iq surgery on the Master in an effort to separate the individuals from the composite entity
SUPER SECRET IMPOSSIBLE DANTE MUST DIE SUCCESS ENDING
Richard Grey companion

Last edited:

You didn't understand him. Those respawns are not part of some grinding gameplay loop. They are meant to convey changes to locations based on player actions, like having radscorpions spawn in the city after the player killed everyone.

He also mentioned fixing unfinished quests.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

You didn't understand him. Those respawns are not part of some grinding gameplay loop. They are meant to convey changes to locations based on player actions, like having radscorpions spawn in the city after the player killed everyone.

He also mentioned fixing unfinished quests.
It's that and grinding given what he said later about how you'd reach the new level cap.

The creature respawn sounded like a really good idea. You wipe out a village and maybe something like raiders have taken over the town later. You kill all the raiders and the wilderness takes the town back and it’s full of Radscorpions or something. Sounds good. Also, as noted by him in the video, this is already in the game in some places; he just wants it to be a universal thing throughout the game.

Nothing he bring up that he’s change is bad. And in fact, he’s playing it pretty save with what he brings up. Basically the video is him saying: I want to fix the problems Fallout had, I want to implement things we could only do selectively more universally, and I want to push the reactive of the world beyond what we did in Arcanum.

He doesn’t even get into things that could be seen a contentious. Like if he’d keep combat as is, or if he’d make it more like Tactics, or if he’d do it more in the mold of something like the new XCOM games, or if he’d implement a combat system more along the lines of what they created for Temple of Element Evil and just do away with the grid system.

It is interesting that he brings up wanting to do a better version of the procedural generated overworld map like Arcanum only because he does have a video from not too long ago (can’t be too long ago, the channel is still pretty new) where he talks about that fully open world not really being something they need. I think he said he may have even cut it today...I can’t really remember. I don’t even know how this can be marked as decline. This aspect of Arcanum is completely avoidable if you don’t want to engage with it, and it’d likely work the same way if he was doing a Fallout remake. The more interesting part of this I think is the talk of more random encounters by way of ruins (and caves) you can come across in the wasteland that act as dungeons.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

IOW, he doesn't have it in him anymore.

In the video where talked about his retirement, he already said he couldn't take the stress anymore, meaning He's Too Old For This Shit.

There's a difference between slapping together some prototypes in a few hours and developing a whole game on a budget. So it's time to give up on Tim and enjoy his industry insights without getting my hopes up

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
rebeccaheinemanacceptance.png
He's married to another dude in a dress, btw.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I don’t even know how this can be marked as decline.
Having an open world is better than not having it. Granted, exploring Arcanum/Fallout world via map is not the same as doing it in first-person, but still.
If your open world is procedurally (read: randomly) generated, it acts as a filler. Do you really need padding and fillers in your RPGs? Look at the Starfield.

And, just subjectively, I never really liked or used the interconnected Arcanum map, using the travel map just like in Fallout.

Focus > size.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom