Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Wesp5

Arcane
Tim said:
If you post a comment and you don't see it go up or you see it go up and then it goes away an hour later, it's not
me. I'd tell you who it was, but the last time I mentioned that name on my channel all the comments were turned off on my
channel. So it is who you think it is, but it's not me.
Who is it???

Is it really possible for somebody who is not owner of a YouTube channel to remove comments?

Redshirt #42

Augur
Tim said:
If you post a comment and you don't see it go up or you see it go up and then it goes away an hour later, it's not
me. I'd tell you who it was, but the last time I mentioned that name on my channel all the comments were turned off on my
channel. So it is who you think it is, but it's not me.
Who is it???

Is it really possible for somebody who is not owner of a YouTube channel to remove comments?
The only thing that makes sense to me is that Tim is referring to the YouTube algorithm™. It certainly is possible that some posts get removed by YouTube. It could be because someone reports your post but it could also be because YouTube doesn't like your posting style and it does so automatically. But in those cases, I think usually the post remains visible to you and is hidden to everyone else.

Although Tim does make it sound like some mysterious other individual is behind it. Especially the part about the comments being turned off completely doesn't add up.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
People objecting to short daily videos. :what:
It's the standard problem with negative comments: you only see those that are complaining about it. Despite that those who like it might vastly outnumber those that dislike it, their numbers will not be visible until:
  1. He stops doing it, but it was liked enough to move people into action to at least inform him they liked it.
  2. An organized community effort is made to get people to voice their opinion.
  3. Luck.
It's the biggest problem with modern communication methods (and why social media is such a shitshow). You see it on these forums too; A handful of negative people keep shitting on one game creates the idea that a game is disliked, while the reality is that most people liked the game but have moved from the discussion.
How to solve it? No idea.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
People objecting to short daily videos. :what:
It's the standard problem with negative comments: you only see those that are complaining about it. Despite that those who like it might vastly outnumber those that dislike it, their numbers will not be visible until:
  1. He stops doing it, but it was liked enough to move people into action to at least inform him they liked it.
  2. An organized community effort is made to get people to voice their opinion.
  3. Luck.
It's the biggest problem with modern communication methods (and why social media is such a shitshow). You see it on these forums too; A handful of negative people keep shitting on one game creates the idea that a game is disliked, while the reality is that most people liked the game but have moved from the discussion.
How to solve it? No idea.
The like/dislike ratio is always going to tell a better story than comments.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The like/dislike ratio is always going to tell a better story than comments.
Unfortunately not. Something as simple as a 'like' or 'dislike' button is too much of a bother for most people, unless they're passionate about it. While there have been plenty of studies about this, there are also a few easy anecdotes;
  • Twitter posts with millions of views, but only several thousands of likes.
  • Youtube videos with millions of views but only several ten-thousand likes/dislikes, and even less comments.
The problem is that the way we perceive these crowds of people, the ones that don't give a shit, makes their unlikeable or unsocial behavior invisible to the part of our monkey brain that helps to ignore that. When we see a raving lunatic in the middle of a crowd, our brains are engineered to (generally) detect the most outlying social abnormalities and ignore him. With a message that's presented front and center of you and has even only half a dozen likes, your brain reacts differently.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Tim thinks Tyranny is a class-based game. Even the people who worked on that game don't remember it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim prefers class based for multiplayer and party-based games and skill-based for single-character games. Largely agree with this assessment, though the D:OS games did reasonably well as skill-based. Games like Jagged Alliance 2 and the Wastelands also did fine as party-based skill-based games, but they don't involve casting spells and the like.

StrongBelwas

Arcane
Patron

Blame Chad Moore for Black Mountain golems and anything else from that area that haunts your dreams
Tim likes weapon durability, pushed for it in Outer Worlds even when some developers wanted it dropped (Along with ammo :what:)
Felt they were too generous in TOW and they should have gone for something more like NuFallouts where you can only repair with a similar type of weapon. At the very least weapon parts should not have dropped on their own and only been something you get from breaking apart weapons or shops.
Every feature frustrates some players, trying to make a game with no feature that frustrates any player is a lost cause.
Breath of the Wild is an example of extreme weapon durability done well in a game with very positive sales and receptions even with the complaints some people had about it.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You should probably fire the people on your team arguing to remove ammo.

Oh wait, Pillars of Eternity doesn't have ammo. Fire Sawyer!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Inconvenience features should only be present if they make the game more enjoyable to play. Durability in Fallout 3/NV feels appropriate because they add a systemic reason for the Repair skill to exist rather than just relying on a handful of scripted checks.

I don't believe "provides more balance" is a good reason to add an inconvenience feature. Sawyer tried to use that as an argument for having weapon durability in PoE and thankfully got talked down.

Breath of the Wild is an example of weapon durability done well even with the complaints some people had about it.

BotW's durability sucks because it means that there's no reward for exploration, there's nothing to get attached to. It's a system that encourages you not to engage with enemies while traveling or explore, though there's admittedly a lot of hours to sink in even without doing those things.

I think it works fine in Kingdom Come Deliverance because the goal of that game is to be a cinematic Medieval Life Sim. The inconveniences are part of the intended experience. Most games don't go all out on trying to be Life Sims.

You should probably fire the people on your team arguing to remove ammo.

Oh wait, Pillars of Eternity doesn't have ammo. Fire Sawyer!
I like special arrows, but ammo management in the IE games was just a lot of busywork that didn't make the game more enjoyable to play. Bioware and Owlcat also recognized this.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like special arrows, but ammo management in the IE games was just a lot of busywork that didn't make the game more enjoyable to play. Bioware and Owlcat also recognized this.
I like ammo management since it sometimes forces your ranged characters into melee. Making them actually use their close-quarters weapons for once. However, it doesn't happen in the BG enchanted editions because of the increased stack.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I like ammo management since it sometimes forces your ranged characters into melee. Making them actually use their close-quarters weapons for once. However, it doesn't happen in the BG enchanted editions because of the increased stack.
Doesn't necessarily happen in the original games as long as you fill up everyone's ammo slots with more to spare and frequently restock.

"We need durability mechanic, because we need a money sink" is such a non reflective take. If money sink is not fun to sink money in, then it should not be included. Durability mechanic usually is a busywork the game punishes the player for forgetting to do. If there is are no good alternative money sinks in the game, then the number of monetary rewards the game throws at the player should be reduced.

Jacov

Educated
I for one enjoy durability mechanics in RPGs. They enhance the resource management part of the game which is important to RPG experience IMO.
Durability is not a cure for shitty economy, obviously, but it still can be a good balancing tool if done right.

I remember item durability in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mods (such as Anomaly). That shit is on another level. Every armor and weapon has durability for individual parts, each requires a different set of tools to repair/maintain. Some can't be repaired if dropped below certain percent, and it adds more stress to an already stressful life in the Zone. If you found some cool piece of gear and want to repair it, you have to actively explore the game world in search for parts. The whole system is autistic, but I think it's a good example of a durability mechanic that is not just about numbers — it forces player to engage with the world and other systems.

Harthwain

Magister
"We need durability mechanic, because we need a money sink" is such a non reflective take. If money sink is not fun to sink money in, then it should not be included. Durability mechanic usually is a busywork the game punishes the player for forgetting to do. If there is are no good alternative money sinks in the game, then the number of monetary rewards the game throws at the player should be reduced.
I am against durability, but weapon maintenance could work. For example, your weapon has a random chance to jam if not kept in proper order. You could buy maintenance kits to simulate keeping your weapon clean to reduce that chance to as low as possible. Other consumables can also work as money sinks (food, bandages, pills to clean water sources, etc.).

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Tim likes durability because it makes people swap weapons frequently, even though that is something that leads to bloated inventories and fucked up carrying capacity and players carrying a whole arsenal of weapons. It needs to die in a fire IMO. How many weapons did Aragorn use? Exactly.

Tim even thinks it's a great money sink :hmmm: Because paying to have my sword repaired after killing 20 bandits is fun?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Properly employed, logistics enhance exploration, whether via encumbrance and its effects, inventory limitations in terms of weight/volume/spaces, food/hunger, water/thirst, sleep/fatigue/stamina, equipment deterioration & repair, a day/night cycle, or lighting and the impact of darkness. Not every CRPG needs every one of these, but these mechanics are generally easier to emulate in the medium of a computer, relative to pen-and-paper RPGs where they quickly become computationally ponderous. :M

Wesp5

Arcane
In my experience logistics are often used to make short games feel longer. This goes from inventory tetris to breaking weapons, you spend more time with this than actually playing the game!

ds

Cipher
Patron
Properly employed, logistics enhance exploration, whether via encumbrance and its effects, inventory limitations in terms of weight/volume/spaces, food/hunger, water/thirst, sleep/fatigue/stamina, equipment deterioration & repair
"Properly employed" is doing quite a bit of heavy lifting here. If its just mindless busywork and you are always have enough resources to maintain your gear then it doesn't really add anything. I think most games fall into that. It's also annoying if items no longer stack once slightly damaged/used, making your inventory into a disorderly mess. Forcing the player to switch weapons by constantly breaking them form even the slightest use also is somewhat of an admission that you can't your weapons interesting enough - better to give the player a reason to switch by choice due to weapons actually being different and useful in different situations.

a day/night cycle, or lighting and the impact of darkness.
These are not like the others, the only common thing is that its a repeating cycle. Sure, if implemented badly and you can just chuck a potion each dawn/dusk to negate the effects then it's boring. But unlike damaged weapons or hunger, day/night cycles have much more potential to affect *how* you play rather than just forcing to waste time on repetitive "minigames".

In my experience logistics are often used to make short games feel longer. This goes from inventory tetris to breaking weapons, you spend more time with this than actually playing the game!
Admittedly it *is* mostly padding but I usually like inventory tetris more than spreadsheet inventories. It can be fun to organize your inventory so that you can actually find things later and differently sized and shaped items (even if the size is abstracted) do feel better than just a list of items. I guess it just depends on how it's implemented, how many items you are spammed with and personal preferences.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It might be possible to flesh out the concept of weapon durability to create viable alternative playstyles. Eg, in addition to the standard RPG playstyle of picking the best all-around weapon and keeping it in good shape, there could be a build that leans deliberately on weapon fungibility.

Or what if there was a limit on item durability, such that over time it would degrade beyond your ability to repair it? I can't recall it now, but I'm pretty sure I played a game where each time you repaired an item, its max durability dropped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom