Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron
Co Caine confirmed as a new NPC for Redaxium 3.

911 Jumper

Learned
Saw a vid of this chap for the first time recently, and my first thought was this is a man who takes it up the bum.
I googled him and was not surprised to learn that he has a husband.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Todd Howard himself invited him to the party and gave him a +1 for his husband.

Tim had to leave "early" (after 2-3 hours which seems like a long time to me) because he had two drinks and was done for the night.

Contrast Tim's good time with Max Landis's who stayed a lot longer

6NkW2Jc.jpeg

yYhmy6N.png

At the end he mentioned that almost no one at Obsidian was invited to the New Vegas launch party. :lol: No big loss https://www.gettyimages.in/photos/the-fallout-new-vegas-launch-party I bet Chris Avellone was fuming though, seems like his scene.

Wesp5

Arcane
Oh he actually did confirm that it was Caine after all.
Been in many an argument where people tried to say it wasn't and that he was really just a Malkavian LARPer.
It was Troika's intent he was, but going by White Wolf canon, it wasn't (Caine was in a cave and unconcerned with what his children were doing).
That book certainly isn't canon anymore as Smiling Jack is still alive, also even there it is mentioned that Caine's spirit left the cave on occasions. Last not least in one of his earlier videos about Bloodlines Tim Cain had already confirmed this. He said that at first WW didn't allow them to use Cain, but then they planned Gehenna and said they are good to go. So they did!

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Is this where we celebrate how many different flavors of shit are available? Mobile shit! VR shit! GAAS shit! I'm so excited to consume the next product!

StrongBelwas

Arcane
Patron
Cain trying to warm the cold, hard hearts of codexers. :happytrollboy:
Based on his talk of game forums I don't think he's terribly fond of his time on modern Codex.

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
I'm not surprised a guy who loved Fallout 3 & 4 thinks it's a great time to be a gamer. In fact, most western devs seem to have terminal shit taste in gaming. It hits like a truck the realization that all the classics we had happened because of luck/limitations/lack of "codified" gaming design practices (in other words, experimentation). It's so over, man.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yes, it is definitely an amazing time to be a gamer.

2023 alone have been fucking PACKED, jam motherfucking packed with good shit all year around and its not stopping.
Colony Ship in november? are u kidding me

Picking a GOTY other than CSG have never been harder.

possibly the best gaming year in decades rivaling stuff like 1998 and 1999.

Can't wait for whats to come.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Cain trying to warm the cold, hard hearts of codexers. :happytrollboy:
Based on his talk of game forums I don't think he's terribly fond of his time on modern Codex.
Why? Codex is full lovable mugs and hugs and shiz posting. :love:

People like Tom should accept the dex, right? :codexisfor:

Tim sounds out of touch in his latest upload. Either that or he's actively gaslighting.

There isn't a diversity of thought in games these days. It's only leftist ideology being pushed, but that's beside the point. People don't want ideology of any kind being pushed in their entertainment. They just want to be entertained. When the vast majority of major publishers employ people pushing the same ideology (primarily from California), you can't simply ignore it and pick up a similar game that doesn't do that. There are no alternatives.

Tim Cain had a hand in Outer Worlds so I can't say I'm surprised by his shit take. That is one of the most insufferably pozzed games in recent memory.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim Cain on woke games: "That's always been the case."

I see a lot of people getting upset about the fact that games are out that have a political or social or moral belief that
isn't reflecting how you feel, and all I can tell you is that's always been the case. You're just seeing it now because there's a lot more games out there, but that's the good thing: you can just buy the games, that if that matters to you, you can just buy the games that reflect your own beliefs back at you.

Good luck with your chud games, Codex.

I know the price of games is becoming a talking point lately which is surprising to me because games cost about 60 or 70 dollars now and they used to cost that much 20 or 30 years ago. I don't know why this is the one thing in the world that isn't being allowed to gradually increase in price.

As Rusty says, these are luxury goods with no scarcity. I don't care if $50 in 1990's money is $120 in today's money, I'm not paying $120 for a game. If you want to shrink your audience and have fewer people pay more, go ahead and do that.

At the end he mentioned that almost no one at Obsidian was invited to the New Vegas launch party.

Why games have release parties with anyone except the developers?
Bethesda's big celebrity-laden release parties are for the benefit of Zenimax/the publishing side. They invite their own employees because sure why not. Inviting Obsidian would be like inviting all the contractors in China or wherever who contributed art. It's not their game, they were just paid to work on it.

There isn't a diversity of thought in games these days. It's only leftist ideology being pushed, but that's beside the point. People don't want ideology of any kind being pushed in their entertainment. They just want to be entertained. When the vast majority of major publishers employee people pushing the same ideology (primarily from California), you can't simply ignore it and pick up a similar game that doesn't do that. There are no alternatives.

The wild success of Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield show that most people don't care. In the past five years you have Kingdom Come Deliverance, Atom RPG, and Black Geyser as counter-examples in the RPG space.

Jacov

Educated
Imagine if people like Tim (grizzled RPG dev veterans of the past) played today's indie bangers. Underrail, ITS games, ATOM, Encased, etc. I'm interested in what Cain would have said about those (I know he has some sort of policy about not critiquing games, and I think it's stupid).

I was baffled when I was watching Sawyer's videos about reputation and armor systems. Dude haven't played Age of Decadence that has an interesting approach to reputation and Underrail that literally uses his beloved DT/DR system successfully.

These people are out of touch, because they don't play games aside from AAA slop.

The wild success of Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield show that most people don't care.
Disagree. Those games were too big to fail. But I also think people tolerate woke shit if a game is actually good. BG3 is an example of that. Love it or hate it, it's a well made game. Starfield on the other hand got dragged for its woke nonsense and that's because there wasn't anything good to focus on. People were very vocal about their dislike for pronouns, male strippers, frankenstein NPCs, etc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those games were too big to fail.
Something with a big production and marketing budget can absolutely bomb.

Starfield on the other hand got dragged for its woke nonsense and that's because there wasn't anything good to focus on. People were very vocal about their dislike for pronouns, male strippers, frankenstein NPCs, etc.
People complaining on the internet doesn't matter when it's a commercial success (gamepass numbers factored in).

Jacov

Educated
Imagine if people like Tim (grizzled RPG dev veterans of the past) played today's indie bangers. Underrail, ITS games, ATOM, Encased, etc. I'm interested in what Cain would have said about those (I know he has some sort of policy about not critiquing games, and I think it's stupid).

I was baffled when I was watching Sawyer's videos about reputation and armor systems. Dude haven't played Age of Decadence that has an interesting approach to reputation and Underrail that literally uses his beloved DT/DR system successfully.

These people are out of touch, because they don't play games aside from AAA slop.
Tim's made mention of Underrail as a game he's played, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a dream I had, but from what little he said, I'm not sure if he didn't namedrop it just because he's seen it mentioned as incline incarnate to pretend he's "with it" or if he has actually played it
I'm having a hard time seeing him engaging in Stygian buildcrafting
Really? I guess, I should binge watch all of his videos from start to finish all over again.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do you agree, Codex?

I talk about why this is such a great time to be a game player.

He's definitely talking about the Codex now!! :lol:

Also, I'm not sure he is talking specifically about it being a great "Golden Age" of games per say. The law of averages in the sheer number of games seem to make him think there are good ones in there for everyone. He talks more on how gamers can connect to developers in ways you couldn't in the past. Not sure I agree with his reasoning here as most channels that are run by developers all seem to be where only great praise and no criticism are closely and diligently censored moderated.

StrongBelwas

Arcane
Patron
Really? I guess, I should binge watch all of his videos from start to finish all over again.
Probably this, I can't recall an audio mention

Helmet Hair

What are some fun modern RPGs that you have played and liked? (Like from the last 10 years or so)

Timothy Cain
Timothy Cain
In no particular order and off the top of my head...Elden Ring, Pathfinder: WOTR, ELEX, Atom RPG, Underrail.
Darth Roxor
Also, this way back when
I don't think that even Tim Cain (along with all the help he would want) could make another game with such a tight world, interactivity and feel.

Well, there is only one way to find out.
I get a feeling some Codexers would not consider Outer Worlds that. :)

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Age of Decadence? We can go more niche than that. Josh Sawyer has actually played DUNGEON RATS, but either forgot/didn't pay much attention to the armor system or doesn't think the game is well-known enough to bother mentioning.

KVVRR

Learned
Personally I've had more fun with videogames this year than I've had in a long while, but
I know the price of games is becoming a talking point lately which is surprising to me because games cost about 60 or 70 dollars now and they used to cost that much 20 or 30 years ago. I don't know why this is the one thing in the world that isn't being allowed to gradually increase in price.
I'm surprised to hear this come out of any game dev at all. Videogames have been gradually increasing in price for decades now, it's just that the change is not on the pricetag... until recently. Microtransactions, cut on-disk (or now just cut from release straight up) content to be sold as DLC, countless and countless of artstyle-ruining cosmetics, even basic gameplay features that SHOULDN'T be locked from the player like characters or maps have all been separated from that price and sold separatedly for a good long while now. Not only that but now you're lucky if you even get the option to just buy what you want in the first place, or at all if it's time locked.
This video sums up my thoughts pretty much perfectly.

And hey, this affects me way less than the normal player. Steam already compensates for my country's piss-poor economy, I don't really play videogames with those sort of practices, and even then piracy isn't prosecuted at all here. But this has been ongoing for decades now.

Jacov

Educated
Probably this, I can't recall an audio mention

Helmet Hair

What are some fun modern RPGs that you have played and liked? (Like from the last 10 years or so)

Timothy Cain
Timothy Cain
In no particular order and off the top of my head...Elden Ring, Pathfinder: WOTR, ELEX, Atom RPG, Underrail.
Darth Roxor
Also, this way back when
I don't think that even Tim Cain (along with all the help he would want) could make another game with such a tight world, interactivity and feel.

Well, there is only one way to find out.
I get a feeling some Codexers would not consider Outer Worlds that. :)
That's cool. I wonder what he thought about the game and its systems. But we will never know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom