Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Temple music sample. Good stuff.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Although, I kind of like the mystery of not knowing the words. That's the magic of foreign music, they can have whatever lyrics you want them to have.

95% of the time I go sniffing around for the actual lyrics, I get disappointed.

This seems like an incredibly high-effort project though.

:d1p:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.patreon.com/posts/seaso...paign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link
Season's Greetings
3 hours ago
Dear Saregnarians,
Looking back to 2023, I always think I could have done more, but if I dig into the project repo changesets, I am always blown away by how much was done. If I had to pick some highlights, it would be these (in no particular order):
  • Overhauled combat using action points
  • Full Save/Load support
  • Refreshed UI (all the screens, including dialogue)
  • Added controller support
The area that I feel I neglected, and it stings a little to admit, is content development. While I did expand the game world into another village, I am painfully aware that I and the team will need to address this in the months ahead. We've been discussing how we'll handle this and I think we're on the right track.
As always, I feel indebted to you for your contributions, and I want to express my thanks for all the support you've given me throughout the years of past developments. I will be happy if you decide to stay in the future too.
See you in 2024!

Sincerely,
Damjan "Rhuantavan" Mozetič

Robber Baron

Savant
Added controller support

AFpya.gif

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Although, I kind of like the mystery of not knowing the words. That's the magic of foreign music, they can have whatever lyrics you want them to have.

95% of the time I go sniffing around for the actual lyrics, I get disappointed.

This seems like an incredibly high-effort project though.

:d1p:
You need to watch Babylon 5 tv series if you haven't already. Pay attention the the Centauri, they are the most musical race in this universe:

Modron

Arcane
What?! We need to torrent even demos nowadays?!
I mean yeah steam demos get removed all the time since the beginning of steam selling non valve games. Not like demos of yesteryear being on cds and file hosting sites and still here 2 decades later.

Edit: I am sure they're just giving it to patreon supporters first as a thank you for the continued support before it comes to steam.

Last edited:
I tried the new demo yesterday. I'm not quite sure what to think of the new graphical approach... To be honest I found the 2D-trees much more appealing and somehow more detailed and realistic (at least if you don't stand directly below and spin around like a madman), the more "modern" 3D-trees look unimpressive in comparison imho. And I find the lighting effects (sun for example) too modern, I find they clash with the otherwise almost perfect retro look of the game.

The old trees were "just" 2D, but so highly detailed.
4225.jpg

Last edited:

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I know what you mean, but I feel like the presentation has improved considerably, even though it has lost some of the retro look. Graphics-wise, I have morphed Betrayal at Krondor into Gothic a bit. The reasons for moving into 3D trees as opposed to billboards are many, but the main one is that 3D trees have more presence in the world, so I can play with their density, can put them close to other objects, can even put objects into the trees - something that can't be done with flat billboards.
shot-2024-03-25-13-42-28.png

Thank you for your reply. I see your point and understand the decision from a creative perspetive but alas I do miss the
stronger retro look very much. Yet I do hope this wonderful game isn't going the same road as Skald, losing piece of piece of it's retro look.

Robber Baron

Savant
Pixelated textures and real time shadows mix like oil and water, also is that AO on the grass or every grass piece casts self shadows?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The one thing I have to criticize at this point, and a very major criticism at at that, is the lack of cleavage and unacceptable size of tavern wench booba.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Thank you for your reply. I see your point and understand the decision from a creative perspetive but alas I do miss the
stronger retro look very much. Yet I do hope this wonderful game isn't going the same road as Skald, losing piece of piece of it's retro look.
With billboard actors I can only push the gfx so far ;)

Btw, I don’t mind SKALD’s art direction at all. It’s still a properly old-school looking game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom