Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt RED has been hacked, hacker threatens to release CP2077 and Witcher 3 source code

Gerrard

Arcane
Either that, or the hacker was born somewhere in the mid-18th century.

What DO hackers demand these days? Pictures of female managers feet?
oHMgCcm.jpg

Lambach

Arcane
So you are saying that they faked that ? Because if so lolololol.

I'm just saying my bullshit alarms are firing off. The timing of this alleged hack is awfully convenient, and their attitude in terms of handling it stinks to high heavens. Far as I know, companies that actually do suffer from this type of attack want to keep it either completely hush-hush or at least keep it as low-key as possible while paying the ransom, not blast it publicly on Twitter, insist that they will "not negotiate with the terrorists" and even post an alleged ransom note that looks like it was written by someone who spent a month on 2007 4chan and got his EPIC l33t lingo from there.

Perkel

Arcane
Far as I know, companies that actually do suffer from this type of attack want to keep it either completely hush-hush or at least keep it as low-key as possible

Not in EU.

If they had hack they are required to inform police as there are GDPR rules for user information stored by them. If they don't do that they will be fined some % of their revenue (not profits) which in case of CDPR that would be 10s of milions of €

Tyrr

Liturgist
I don't think it's fake. A fake hacker wouldn't sound like a child.
Why would you embarrass yourself this much?

just

Liturgist
hacker wrote contact us in 48h but didn't say how. missed opportunity
cdpr trying to reach him over twitter tho

Azdul

Magister
Here's hoping hackerman actually dumped the source code. Maybe then modders can actually fix this mess of a game.
Cyberpunk or Witcher are not some Nintendo game sources from 90s. No one competent is going to touch it, knowing that it will take many months to get familiar with the code, while CDPR will be shutting down any publicly available source repositories.

Both games are available as DRM-free GOG releases, so there isn't anything to 'crack' in the code. Creating 'hacks' for single player game also does not make sense.

Hacking CDPR to get source code is like hacking Feargus Urquhart phone to get his naked photos. Maybe slightly embarassing for the 'victim', but mostly pointless.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So you are saying that they faked that ? Because if so lolololol.

I'm just saying my bullshit alarms are firing off. The timing of this alleged hack is awfully convenient, and their attitude in terms of handling it stinks to high heavens. Far as I know, companies that actually do suffer from this type of attack want to keep it either completely hush-hush or at least keep it as low-key as possible while paying the ransom

Nice idea in theory, but that is not how it works in practice.

In the case of a personal data breach, the controller shall without undue delay and, where feasible, not later than 72 hours after having become aware of it, notify the personal data breach to the supervisory authority competent in accordance with Article 55

CDPR is worried about GDPR, so even though personal data breach did not occur, they can say that they have followed the notification procedure for that as well.

The whole "hacking" is most probably work of a disgruntled employee. Or at least facilitated by one.

Perkel

Arcane
The most shocking thing about this is that they are still using Perforce.
That was also quite shocking to me.
Like... wtf?

From what i know Perforce is better for stuff with actual heavy amount of data like games. Git is better for code itself. If i remember correctly you can setup Perforce in way that you don't need to copy data to work on stuff where GIT does require that. Never had to interact with Perforce though myself.

Also games you get to download as release versions are not the same as in dev. Before compilation AAA games go into Terrabytes of data not just mare 50GB or 100GB.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The most shocking thing about this is that they are still using Perforce.
That was also quite shocking to me.
Like... wtf?

From what i know Perforce is better for stuff with actual heavy amount of data like games. Git is better for code itself. If i remember correctly you can setup Perforce in way that you don't need to copy data to work on stuff where GIT does require that. Never had to interact with Perforce though myself.
Well, sure, but it also costs money. A lot of money.
You know what is also much better with large amounts of data and free (or very cheap if you want some premium features)? Git LFS.
One repo for code, X repos for binary files, one repo to rule them all for building. Done.

But it is true that large companies are much less flexible in adapting new pipelines, even if they were better.
Their entire team has probably been using Perforce for years so that's what they know.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
your have been epically pwned!!
how old is this hacker, 70?
The more I think about it, the more this sounds like a false flag operation by CD-Project. "Oh no we've been hacked. Looks like we won't be able to fix Cyberpunk this year after all..."
This message reads like how Karen from HR thinks a hacker sounds like.
What if it's a ploy to release the source code so mods can fix it?

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I think it's fake, but really hope that it isn't and the hackz0rz carries through.

God knows CDProject needs to be knocked off their golden boy pedestal.

Hackers rarely seem to deliver in these situations. Often they exaggerate what they got away with, and others are too pussy to actually go ahead with their threats.
So Haxz0rz are like politicians?

Azdul

Magister
From what i know Perforce is better for stuff with actual heavy amount of data like games. Git is better for code itself.
Perforce tools can do distributed compilation of C++ code.

Programmer can do a local build using every machine with Perforce agent within the network. Full rebuild of large game can last many hours, so without Perforce small change in some important file could shut down the company for a day.

Perforce also calculates a hash of source code, and if someone compiled the same source before - Perforce downloads compiled .obj or library immediately from the repository.

It's a very nice tool that also integrates nicely with Visual Studio. Probably CDPR is not the only video game company that uses it.

Edit: Oops, I was wrong. Perforce integrates easily with Incredibuild, but you need both Perforce and Incredibuild licenses to do all tricks described above.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
I thought that at first but I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they just omitted the rest of the file that was below.

just

Liturgist
protect hacker's personal data
good guys till the very end not some fuckin twitter doxxers

tritosine2k

Erudite
Here's hoping hackerman actually dumped the source code. Maybe then modders can actually fix this mess of a game.

Both games are available as DRM-free GOG releases, so there isn't anything to 'crack' in the code. Creating 'hacks' for single player game also does not make sense.

Creating 'hacks' for single player game also does not make sense.

neither 33.3 ms as "framebudget" or "studio reference" sound is nearly good enough , or "TAA" , or ...

Eastwood

Educated
Assuming this thing isn't a hoax, I think CD-Project just removed that part of the message. Wouldn't want any anons to outbid them on the source code.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom