Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Keshik

Arcane
I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the side content (the only WTF moment was the Sinnerman gig:

No bug, if you go with the criminal you get a neat side quest where you can end up crucifying him. I regret that, should have told him to go tell the corpos to stuff themselves.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good thing I keep my savegames. Same NPC, screenshot taken before and after 1.05:

RLy1Hmz.jpg

6c2PxZp.jpg

In the context of the mission, this one was supposed to be in an affair with another NPC, so it could have passed as environmental storytelling of sorts, damn :lol:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Would have made more sense as a Judge Dredd game, regarding the 'side content' at least. The fact you are single handedly eliminating all criminal life from Night City as you playthrough is such nonsense. In Witcher 3 you are a Witcher... so fine, you slaughter monsters for breakfast. Would have felt really bad ass here if you were a Judge or Robocop whatever, stomping around using maximum violence to obliterate anyone looking even remotely like commiting a crime.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Funnily enough I had much more trouble defeating Oda

My Oda fight bugged on me when he got stuck in midair trying to catch me while I was bunnyhopping from him. Is there a more powerfull move than bunnyhopping in Cyberpunk universe? I doubt it. Even cyber ninjas don't stand a chance.

Lucky you. In my fight I was standing at the ledge and dodged when he charged me, and he fell out of the building. Taku called and blames me for killing him am like wtf? Dude flew off on his own.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good thing I keep my savegames
Um, do you document (for science) every NPC in such a way?
Erm, only in the name of science.
:shredder:

Russian spy chicks even need triangular coffins when they die.

Would have made more sense as a Judge Dredd game, regarding the 'side content' at least. The fact you are single handedly eliminating all criminal life from Night City as you playthrough is such nonsense. In Witcher 3 you are a Witcher... so fine, you slaughter monsters for breakfast. Would have felt really bad ass here if you were a Judge or Robocop whatever, stomping around using maximum violence to obliterate anyone looking even remotely like commiting a crime.
That's a bigger subject I wanted to touch on, because I'm constantly accused of being a fanboy and what not. I actually have some complaints against CP77, which apply to most open world games, but the inconsistencies are especially glaring in this case.

First, the game suffers from the old syndrom of mechanically turning you into a superman billionare while narratively telling how you are supposed to feel like a scrub, a small time gang-banger, just as oppressed by the city as every other bum around you.
It's worse than usual in open world games, because for CP77 there were interviews where it was explicitly stated that "we don't want to have heroes who save the world because when a hero saves the world, there is no place for the hero any more". To put it short, you reach epic-level power in what was intended by part of the team as a low-level adventure, but apparently the team that designed the perks, issues the XP, money and loot, didn't get the same memo. So who is right and who is wrong?

Second is the even more common syndrom of fake urgency. Again the game opens the bathrobe to you from the get go, revealing all it's "points of interest" so to speak, while the main quest tells you "hurry V, you have to find a mcguffin to save you from an abra-cadabra". It's like two different games were being developed and at some point merged.
To compare with Witcher 3, I've played Witcher 3 a lot, and I can say the same problem was there too, however:
1. At least you could hide the points of interest
2. It was easier to sell the idea of a long and winding journey in a medieval fantasy setting, much more easily than in a setting where the whole story takes place in the same city.

Ultimately the three games that CDPR was trying to make at the same time - the Witcher with guns, the GTA clone, and the Deus Ex clone, are fighting each other.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Some of the better missions in this game have some unexpected possibilities. Spoilers for one of the best missions in the game, given by Takemura:

https://streamable.com/fli69x

https://streamable.com/uz8lqz

You can jump on the floats, quite surprisingly (to me at least) they are solid. And you can actually use them to bypass some of the stealth/platforming/elevators in that mission. Both instances that I recorded were discovered more or less at random, I imagine there are more options to do some serious hopping in there, if I go back and think about it. Confirms to me that Taskemura's missions are the best in the game (the one previous to this one is probably even better).

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
No bug, if you go with the criminal you get a neat side quest where you can end up crucifying him. I regret that, should have told him to go tell the corpos to stuff themselves.

I liked that quest line. My V ended up being there to be with him but not taking part and telling the corp woman to destroy the tapes at every opportunity. Was kind of hard to square it with also having a mini war against the scavs for their production values in making light entertainment.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This game is missing some dynamic open world shit,looking to the shitty pedestrian Ai, I see why they cut that. I have no idea why to this day, no developer copied the Saints Row system of you having multiple gangs and when you do hostile stuff on their turfs, they get hostile and call reinforcements that get worse and worse culminating, many times, on massive shootouts with multiple gangs fighting each other, Cyberbug 76 has the perfect structure for that, go guns blazing on a mission, enemy back up is called, you flee from the area into another gang turf, they start fighting each other, the police is called and all of sudden, complete chaos.

I mean, common, 300 million dollars on this project and a shitty B studio like Volition can have fun open world shit while Cyberbug 76 only has Far Cry outposts over and over and over.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Something more regarding side content.

I've played for 48 hrs now with my first and current character. I've cleared Kabuki, Little China and Japantown of all side content - missions and police work - which is available for my street cred level of 39.

While exploring japantown, I came accross a data shard, a bit out of the way, which contained what was apparently placeholder text describing Takemura's childhood and motivation. It was text written out of character and apparently intended for a writer to expand upon, which was probably copied and pasted into the game files by mistake.

By analogy with this data shard, I suspect that most of the data shards we find on dead bodies during "police help" missions may have been intended to be found in other places of the world and only unlock the respective shootout after being found. Maybe they were not even intended to be in textual form at all but they were never recorded as conversations between NPCs which the player could overhear.

I only saw DeepOcean 's post after I wrote mine, but yeah... :)

Bara

Arcane
I think this is the first time in a video game where I've ever had pop-Out rather than pop-in be a issue.

Drive fast enough and the fake cars they put on streets in the far distance to make the game look busy delete themselves as your moving towards them and then real cars spawn in but in a lesser density.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Finished the game as a Nomad, tried all endings.

First, and foremost, the game is absolutely gorgeous, it's insane how much detail there's on the characters, the interior of cars, the design of side-quest set pieces, etc...

But, behind all the hype and AAA production values, the gameplay itself it VERY mediocre. Shooting is okay, but the game lacks enemy and gun variety. Feels worse than Fallout 4. The missions try to be Deux Ex but there's no multiple paths tied to skills, it's basically "kill everyone" or "sneak around". Your l33t hacking skills and cyberware don't open new paths, just help you sneak or shoot everyone. A lot of ideas in the game feel like they were abandoned mid-way, like the non-lethal combat... as far as I'm aware, there's ZERO benefits in killing enemies instead of stunning them, and you get a mod early on that makes all you guns non-lethal (WHUT?), so I'm not even sure why that exists.

Role-playing options are also very limited: you have all important choices always open, and the only real choices that have consequences are "did you do these side-missions paths until the end? Y/N". Stat-check are mostly just for flavour & extra dialog lines and MAYBE (like 3 times) to kill a character mid-dialog. It's a step back from every Witcher game, and those had a fixed character. I don't understand why your blank slate V has even less role-playing options than Geralt has, you are always everyone's bitch being ordered around and agreeing with everyone except Johnny.

The character system and crafting system are garbage, made even worse by the HORRIBLE level scaled loot. It was already dull in The Witcher 3, but it's made way worse here by the fact that you are playing a blank slate character in a cyberpunk world, someone that should be able to become anything... but I feel stuck in an endless cycle of +5% damage upgrades, and non-sense like "you can't be undetected underwater" perks. OH WOW, there's exactly zero missions where that might have been useful.

I spent the whole game trying to specialize in snipers & revolvers, that I crafted and upgraded until I had a legendary revolver with 550 DPS. It never felt rewarding or interesting. Then the game drops two blunt weapons, one a bat doing 1,100 DPS, the other a shovel doing insane 1,500 DPS. Killed Smasher in 30 sec by bashing him in the face with a broken shovel. And what to say about a game shipping with a mysterious 6th stat that can't be unlocked, teasing a DLC right on the stats menu?

The story was meh. The first-person camera and the insane production budget make it feel like you are playing a fancy Netflix series, and it has some cool moments (like the Arasaka ending) but also a lot of dumb shit (like why the fuck Arasaka even needs you). Behind the fancy presentation, it never feels as good as ANY Witcher game. I don't mean just "OMG, Bloody baron quest!!!", but it never delivers the depth of stuff like being bros with Iorweth in W2 or the witch hunt in W1. Casting Keanu Reeves was CD Projekt's best decision, his charisma salvages Johnny into something bearable, as he's very poorly written and entirely one-note. He's just an asshole, his backstory and beliefs make no sense and both his endings are terrible. Hanging out with Panan & her bros was probably the best part of the game, the other characters are all forgettable.

Overall, it's a AAA visual spectacle that has mediocre gameplay and uses extremely poor RPG mechanics just to provide superficial levels of customization. I legit think it would be a better game without the level & perk system, just having non-scaling loot and cyberwear instead of perks.

It's not a flawed gem, because it doesn't do anything interesting or well besides its visuals. Take a game like Kingdom Come: it's flawed, but there's interesting things to talk about its combat, quest design, "peasant simulator" world, etc... there there's nothing that other games haven't done before & better. It's a fucking gorgeous game, but what will that mean in 5 or 10 years? It might be saved by mods or years of new content & fixes but, right now, it's a mostly a visual experience and some closure to years of hype.

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
20 years from now, future soyboys who didn't experience the false marketing pre release hype will discover this game and overrate it to hell because it's style and presentation. it will achieve vtmb: bloodlines or new vegas cult status.
and i will look down on them and smile.

Robber Baron

Savant
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Cars launching into the air and disappearing in the horizon.
I watched people fall through the floor never to be seen again.
All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

20201221023642-1.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ok, my crafting experience:

I got on a vendor machine that sells beverages at 10 dollars.

I scrap all those beverages.

I get alot of cyber juice.

I use the cyber orange juice and turn it into sniper rifles.

I get to a vendor and sell 50 sniper rifles.

Got infinite money and can farm crafting experience alot faster.

Soon, I will have more profit from arms sales than Militech.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Except the game is released just in time to close the year 2020 and not any month earlier so shareholders could reap those dollarinos faster. Investors did this to us, not toxic snoy fanbase who are just lowly acolytes of the prestige polishness of Playstation Exclusives (which stopped being real just when snoy console become able to download patches thru the net). They don't change shit and only act as a falseflag for snoy to stop the refund by eliminating the store page. Because snoy hates refunds, they are this greedy and arrogant.
Buuuut, the precedent for this happened because of CDPRs managers who are in friends with Marcin and Adam. Pathetic sweatshop.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's strange. I first commented that I notice more pop in which might be a way to handle worse performance on the consoles, when 1.04 came out. Now I don't know if I'm just used to it and people are noticing it now, or the devs are being even more tight with the streaming of assets. My driving around the busiest streets in the city center seems to still cost lots of fps, but in the less taxing parts of the city I'm driving around with fps in the upper 50s or more. Again I can't say if this is due to them dropping texture LOD more, or some other optimization. CDPR should definetly be pestered to say something about those changes, the problem is that no one can make them, and those with the power to require a response will not ask the question.

I just played a couple hours. I was in a big downtown section this time and one thing I noticed a LOT was light culling, not seeing lighting effects until you got really close to them like shop windows and neon signs lighting up the ground. And yeah, when I saw low-res signs and stuff it seemed to be just out of culling range, and zooming in would make them pop in. So... they culled down detail ranges somehow for consoles and left that shit in for PC, which is ridiculous. It doesn't even help performance at all, I assume because we're at a much higher baseline.

I have the space so I'm gonna install 1.04 and take some comparison shots with the lights I think, either that or prove myself insane.

P.S. NO FATTIES

UvPekNS.jpg

vota DC

Augur
Ok, my crafting experience:

I got on a vendor machine that sells beverages at 10 dollars.

I scrap all those beverages.

I get alot of cyber juice.

I use the cyber orange juice and turn it into sniper rifles.

I get to a vendor and sell 50 sniper rifles.

Got infinite money and can farm crafting experience alot faster.

Soon, I will have more profit from arms sales than Militech.

Mistery solved, finally!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxVPPy5w9NA

AwesomeButton

Patron
and you get a mod early on that makes all you guns non-lethal (WHUT?)
Near the entrance to one of the cyberpsycho missions' "arena" area, I found a mod that "makes bullets non-lethal" (magic?), but it only works on the weapon you put that mod on.

Behind the fancy presentation, it never feels as good as ANY Witcher game.
but it never delivers the depth of stuff like being bros with Iorweth in W2 or the witch hunt in W1.
Same impression so far. Apparently it won't change until the end.

Take a game like Kingdom Come: it's flawed
Apart from the jump into linearity towards the end, what's flawed? It was a great game with good balance between open world shit and missions, and a lot of emergent gameplay possibilities. Unlike anything Vavra had done yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom