Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Cyberpunk 2077 has bad writing because it is written by young, Anglophilic Western liberals who are explicitly trying to regurgitate Cyberpunk media. There's no voice. The essence of Cyberpunk is "Isn't it fun to rebel - and plus, we don't have anything better to do."

Considering that one of Cyberpunk’s biggest issues is that it really isn’t all that Cyberpunk, this is a bizarre analysis

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cyberpunk 2077 has bad writing because it is written by young, Anglophilic Western liberals who are explicitly trying to regurgitate Cyberpunk media. There's no voice. The essence of Cyberpunk is "Isn't it fun to rebel - and plus, we don't have anything better to do."

Considering that one of Cyberpunk’s biggest issues is that it really isn’t all
that Cyberpunk, this is a bizarre analysis
Not really, seems like the writing is more punk than cyberpunk.

Wesp5

Arcane
Ambiguous, sure, and though I don't remember Dishonored all that well, I recall feeling uneasy about how many bodies I dropped and how much of an impact that would have on future missions.

I agree! The problem with Dishonored was that the results were not immediately visible and often not logical either. In comparison going into Frenzy in Bloodlines was a direct conclusion...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It could certainly be read this way. My opinion is that, like Witcher 3, much is in the player's hands when it comes to directing the interactive movie. The main story intends to ask something about the meaning of "identity" at the personal level in a society where one's value to society is increasingly disassociated from their identity, and the expression of identity is discouraged by poweful structures upholding the societal order. Do you "win" against the system if you let the conscience of the iconic anti-system rebel consume you, or do you "win" if you erase your psyche by commiting suicide?

It's supposed to be much darker and thought provoking than it ends up being. The videogame gets in the way of the writing. Could have worked as a movie. Instead it's an interactive B-movie.

But if you want to play the interactive movie in this way, and give it that kind of direction, it can certainly play out as a darker story. That's what roleplaying comes down to in the present day world of AAA gaming, I guess - direct your own interactive B-movie as you prefer.

Gargaune

Magister
But if you want to play the interactive movie in this way, and give it that kind of direction, it can certainly play out as a darker story. That's what roleplaying comes down to in the present day world of AAA gaming, I guess - direct your own interactive B-movie as you prefer.
I understand "Blobber" was a successful piece of Codex terminology, shall we incline videogame critique once more by coining the "Choose Your Own Screenplay" genre?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I understand "Blobber" was a successful piece of Codex terminology, shall we incline videogame critique once more by coining the "Choose Your Own Screenplay" genre?
I think it's a good one.

KVVRR

Learned
It could certainly be read this way. My opinion is that, like Witcher 3, much is in the player's hands when it comes to directing the interactive movie. The main story intends to ask something about the meaning of "identity" at the personal level in a society where one's value to society is increasingly disassociated from their identity, and the expression of identity is discouraged by poweful structures upholding the societal order. Do you "win" against the system if you let the conscience of the iconic anti-system rebel consume you, or do you "win" if you erase your psyche by commiting suicide?

It's supposed to be much darker and thought provoking than it ends up being. The videogame gets in the way of the writing. Could have worked as a movie. Instead it's an interactive B-movie.

I was playing the other day and since I'm almost st the end of the game I thought I'd just drive aimlessly around the city without direction. Started calling contacts as well to see if I had any dialogue I hadn't seen.
It was nighttime, raining, driving around the part of town with the red lighting and a lot of maelstorm, and eventually ended up at the Arakawa district with the white lifeless light.
As I was doing this I stumbled into Jackie's number and saw that v actually could call him and talk alone. I called four times, and the last one has him say that it'll be his last call, that he doesn't have much time left and that he wishes it would've gone better
Just as he finished the conversation I hit a dead end and realized I drove into the end of a bridge that gave into the ocean. Nothing to hear but the splashes of water hitting into the car's roof.

It's dumb, there's no way for the game to account for that, or to actually plan it, but it all just fit together. It genuinely made me feel something in there for a moment, more than any of Jackie's own, actual scenes.
It's funny how good ambiance and a few hidden options can elevate something so much.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm starting to think it's CDPR paying some shills again to promote this.
At least a fair number of people in the comments for that video are not buying this shit.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
I was playing the other day and since I'm almost st the end of the game I thought I'd just drive aimlessly around the city without direction. Started calling contacts as well to see if I had any dialogue I hadn't seen.
It was nighttime, raining, driving around the part of town with the red lighting and a lot of maelstorm, and eventually ended up at the Arakawa district with the white lifeless light.
As I was doing this I stumbled into Jackie's number and saw that v actually could call him and talk alone. I called four times, and the last one has him say that it'll be his last call, that he doesn't have much time left and that he wishes it would've gone better
Just as he finished the conversation I hit a dead end and realized I drove into the end of a bridge that gave into the ocean. Nothing to hear but the splashes of water hitting into the car's roof.

It's dumb, there's no way for the game to account for that, or to actually plan it, but it all just fit together. It genuinely made me feel something in there for a moment, more than any of Jackie's own, actual scenes.
It's funny how good ambiance and a few hidden options can elevate something so much.
Rockstar's last two games are pretty good for this kind of roleplaying. I'll leave RDR2 aside, but in GTA V I wanted to RP Michael going through a crisis when his family leaves him, so I spent some time getting him drunk and picking up strippers as prostitutes to his house.

None

Scholar

Rockstar's last two games are pretty good for this kind of roleplaying. I'll leave RDR2 aside, but in GTA V I wanted to RP Michael going through a crisis when his family leaves him, so I spent some time getting him drunk and picking up strippers as prostitutes to his house.
Unless that behavior is tied to some underlying game mechanic, it feels like larping at that point. Which can be fine at certain times, especially when trying to soak up atmosphere, but a lot of times it feels roleplaying games miss the "game" part.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I like how some shills and even some cdpr devs are acting on social media like it’s their game updates that are bringing people back to play the game when no, fuck you hacks, its the anime.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
It's supposed to be much darker and thought provoking than it ends up being.
Felt pretty dark to me the first time I bum rushed the ending and the game showed me how little I had impacted the world. Same thing with the suicide ending. Even seeing Rogue getting Rebecca'd by Adam Smasher felt way more dark than I remember feeling for any other NPC since Aerith.

Gargaune

Magister
Yeah, as opposed to all the TOTALLY LEGIT fawning press No Man's Shithole got. Nothing suspicious about it either prior to release or over its fake "redemption" bullshit, no sir.

Of course CDPR have their own court parrots to call on. All publishers do, not all sponsored content, but you should know how far some YouTubers will go for the off-chance of a swag bag or a wine-and-dine promo.

Even seeing Rogue getting Rebecca'd by Adam Smasher felt way more dark than I remember feeling for any other NPC since Aerith.
Really? The only thing I was sorry for was how silly she looked wearing those ridiculous oversized jump boots. She could've at least been...

... wearing Jinguji.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah, as opposed to all the TOTALLY LEGIT fawning press No Man's Shithole got. Nothing suspicious about it either prior to release or over its fake "redemption" bullshit, no sir.

Of course CDPR have their own court parrots to call on. All publishers do, not all sponsored content, but you should know how far some YouTubers will go for the off-chance of a swag bag or a wine-and-dine promo.
CDPR literally have a person(s) shill on the bankier.pl stock forum under the name "nagan", usually just reposting whatever nonsense news that are even slightly positive, or twisting reality trying to spin it in a positive light, but they once slipped up and posted a photo of the wall with magazine covers from the CDPR office that did not exist anywhere on the net (reverse image search), exposing themselves as either a CDPR employee or someone who got that photo from CDPR.

Gargaune

Magister
CDPR literally have a person(s) shill on the bankier.pl stock forum under the name "nagan", usually just reposting whatever nonsense news that are even slightly positive, or twisting reality trying to spin it in a positive light, but they once slipped up and posted a photo of the wall with magazine covers from the CDPR office that did not exist anywhere on the net (reverse image search), exposing themselves as either a CDPR employee or someone who got that photo from CDPR.
That's some juicy info actually, thanks! You made me curious to check their market listing, but if their new anime might upping the CBP player count, the impression on their stock price seems to be subdued.

Codex Year of the Donut
CDPR literally have a person(s) shill on the bankier.pl stock forum under the name "nagan", usually just reposting whatever nonsense news that are even slightly positive, or twisting reality trying to spin it in a positive light,
what a coincidence, so does the codex

Vatnik Wumao
It's supposed to be much darker and thought provoking than it ends up being.
Felt pretty dark to me the first time I bum rushed the ending and the game showed me how little I had impacted the world. Same thing with the suicide ending. Even seeing Rogue getting Rebecca'd by Adam Smasher felt way more dark than I remember feeling for any other NPC since Aerith.
The repeating day part of the Arasaka ending was the most horrifying for me.

Vatnik Wumao
Have they announced a season 2 of Edgerunners yet? It's too popular not to make more episodes...
Who'd they have as a protag though? Perhaps going for a nomad or corpo protag instead since S1 had the street kid?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom