Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Even with a hundred of mods, I don't know how you can play this game more than once and not get bored. All the story beats are the same long-winded shit, there are no choices no different scenes to see or different ways to play. Once you finish it once, the novelty wears off. By the endgame you have accumulated so many points that you can be proficient in everything. I doubt this will change with the expansion, it seems they are repeating the same mistakes all over again (relaying on big names to sell) instead of focusing on actual C&C and non-linearity.
What about witcher 3? You could argue it has more meaningful C&C, and you would be right. But the reason I would replay it now and then isn't the C&C, but the actual "performances" of the main characters. That's what I think is most lacking in Cyberpunk. And the root cause of it all is that, in the end, you don't grow attached to your character. ironically, this follows from one of the measures intended to make you more "immersed" - the camera stays in first person during conversations.

I've played with female V and her performace was good. With the Nomad ending, there's a closure to her character arc.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Well, netrunners mod is how the game should be from the beginning, it even has its own settings, if you feel like insta-kill hack used on you is too much.
Car fight is a bit messy and sometimes "calling for help" turned fights into infinite enemy spawn (even if I had that option unchecked...), but it makes a lot of things work as intended.
For the difficulty:
Scissors Difficulty adds some neat features, some of those a bit broken, use it with care
Level scaling - I don't use it but feel temped - I hate level scaling in RPG, but this game is not an RPG, and this mod should make fights less tedious.

I loaded more than 10 mods and found out that it actually can be a pain in the ass - motorcycles become unusable (V is starting to bounce left-right on them) and here and there had day-one bugs (like cut-scene guy pointing me with a gun that is not in his hand), so CP77 is not Skyrim level of being moddable (yet, that RED thing is quite new I suppose), but can really turn this game to something fun to play.

There's also HARDCORE 44, which makes combat super deadly for both you and your enemies. But it has bugs and it's, well, a bit unbalanced.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Where the big booty bitches at? Floortiles also don't fucking work like that. These Polish retard devs went to a McDonald's bathroom and were like shieeet this shit is reflective mane. Niggas never stepped outside in their life.

You can have pretty much any booty you like (people have made everything from normal to voluptuous to muscular to skinny already - my character there is quite athletic as you can see from the legs) although at the moment you can't morph (like in Skyrim) - i.e. it's one body shape per playthrough (or per several playthroughs if you like that shape - what I mean is you can't have a skinny Nomad character then play a buxom Corpo - you'll have a skinny Corpo too unless you change the body) - although you can have a unique player character (with its own mesh and skins).

The floortiles are nano-reflective composite :)

Re. the difficulty mods someone was mentioning above: my set of mods makes it so that I can kill fairly quickly but also be fairly quickly killed (also staggered if I'm hit, like the mobs), and the Toxicity mod means I can't just endlessly spam heals, I have to space them out a bit. So essentially that makes encounters a matter of a bit of caution and positioning, judicious use of other tricks (grenades, hacking, etc.) then they're over fairly quickly. So you get into a rhythm of exploring and little morsels of combat (with heartier meals in many of the quests). One of the mods I use makes the mobs vary in terms of resistances and specialities, so it's worth having a few weapon damage types around, and you can't always rely on the same quickhacks and that sort of thing (which is fine if you have the "mark as quest item" mod, so you can have a few different weapons and not worry about accidentally selling them or scrapping them :) ). I do recommend the level scaling mod - few things are more immersion-breaking than early mobs being like nothing as you level up, they should all be at least a bit dangerous, and that's what the mod does. Makes it feel more "realistic" :) In fact realism would dictate horizontal progression anyway (more tricks, more intelligence and experience), not the sudden acquisition of a great mass of meat. In real life armor (e.g.) is armor, with only a small diference to higher quality and expense (though that might give the edge); same with other things like cyberware, the cheap things can "do the job" but the more expensive things might give a bit of an edge.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

On the latter point, I'd agree, it's disappointing that they're hyping up another major actor, but I suppose that became the "thing" of the game in the public eye
Maybe but I'm on my first run and Keanu is p. much the main reason I still keep playing, about 30h in. I got the "point of no return" popup 6 hours ago but I'm doing side jobs just to see more Silverhand. As an actor Keanu is and has always been p. bad but he has a certain charisma, factor X, much like Schwarzenegger or Stallone used to have, so you're drawn in regardless.

I like Elba a lot, he has the same kind of mojo plus he's an actual actor. I think without a hook like that I would've finished the vanilla and never looked back.

Zeriel

Arcane
Heh, to each their own. Keanu is why I never finished the game, personally. Hated every single major story beat/mission after he's introduced. It becomes the "Keanu Reeves Experience", the main character ceases to exist.

Peachcurl

Cipher

On the latter point, I'd agree, it's disappointing that they're hyping up another major actor, but I suppose that became the "thing" of the game in the public eye
Maybe but I'm on my first run and Keanu is p. much the main reason I still keep playing, about 30h in. I got the "point of no return" popup 6 hours ago but I'm doing side jobs just to see more Silverhand. As an actor Keanu is and has always been p. bad but he has a certain charisma, factor X, much like Schwarzenegger or Stallone used to have, so you're drawn in regardless.

I like Elba a lot, he has the same kind of mojo plus he's an actual actor. I think without a hook like that I would've finished the vanilla and never looked back.
:what:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

That's kind of the tragedy of this game - they more or less re-jigged it away from the all-time king of RPGs they'd promised, into an action adventure starring Keanu Reeves, when they got the window of opportunity to get Reeves in for long enough to do a full thing (rationally seeing the marketing value in that). But the damnable thing is that they did a pretty good job with the narrative-driven action-adventure. From our point of view here, it doesn't make up for what was lost, not nearly, but I think it does make the game fun for a lot of people, first time round at least.

And now CDPR have made a rod for their own backs, because they have to have a huge actor in, and a narrative-driven sequence, every time they want to make a new DLC ;)

(On reading your review, I'd recommend you try modding the game - the additions make the open world RPG side of the game a bit more filled out, and the combat more consistent and enjoyable. That way you have a reason to stick around or revisit. In my current playthrough, I haven't even touched seeing Evelyn Parker or doing the All Foods quest at the start, I'm just wandering around Watson doing gigs and dispatching goons and doing a bit of courier work :) IOW the game proper hasn't even started yet, and I'm having fun, what with the mods and all.)

https://store.steampowered.com/news/group/9869/view/3613607352264426248

Cyberpunk 2077 Wins Labor of Love Award at Steam Awards 2022

Jan 4 2023

Perhaps somewhat in thanks to its turbulent launch period, Cyberpunk 2077 has been given the Labor of Love award at the Steam Awards 2022.

Steam published the winners of its player-voted awards, and while Elden Ring took the overall Game of the Year position, Cyberpunk 2077 also made an appearance in what's essentially the most improved game category.

Up against No Man's Sky, Deep Rock: Galactic, Dota 2, and Project Zomboid, Cyberpunk 2077's stream of post-launch updates and fixes was seemingly enough to push it over the top.

The game has undergone somewhat of a resurgence since its incredibly rocky launch (that did mostly affect consoles) thanks to these improvements and further excitement brought on by Netflix's Cyberpunk: Edgerunners anime series.

"This game has been out for a while. The team is well past the debut of their creative baby, but being the good parents they are, these devs continue to nurture and support their creation," reads the award synopsis. "This game, to this day, is still getting new content after all these years."

The leaps forward for Cyberpunk 2077 arguably began in February with the launch of the next-gen update, or Version 1.5 for PC players, which saw several bug fixes and even free DLC added to the game.

This theme continued in September when developer CD Projekt Red released the Edgerunners update to go alongside the launch of the anime series (which itself was praised by fans and critics alike). It also announced the Phantom Liberty expansion which is due to launch this year, and continued to build excitement by revealing that its sequel, codenamed Orion, is also on the way.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelancer and acting UK news editor. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Sales wise, it was a very smart move to put all the money into an anime instead of fixing the game.
Fixing the game would only makes people who bought the game happy. But they already got their money.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is Cyberpunk worth playing yet? Or just wait for the coming expansion pack?

It's worth playing in the sense that it's not nearly as broken as it was (for some people) when it first released, a fair amount of stuff has been fixed and tidied up a bit. You can certainly have fun with the game if you're not expecting God's gift to RPGs :)

It definitely still feels unfinished and fundamentally broken in some aspects, but it has compensating features - mainly its sense of atmosphere and place, the mechanics of the storytelling being very well done for the most part, some of the MQ, side-quests and minor quests being very cool, and the ranged combat (melee is merely servicable) and open world rambling being quite enjoyable (though fairly rudimentary). It's not a great RPG, certainly not as great as most of us were hoping for/expecting, but it's a pretty good action-adventure type of game. Not really all that much different from TW3 in essence, just less finished and less refined, more sketchy in more places.

I would say spark up and hop in, you'll have a character ready for the DLC when it comes.

lefthandblack

Arcane
I thinks it worth it on sale if you want a futuristic GTA with the opportunity for some scripted storyfagging if you want it. I personally hate the story stuff but I hate that shit in all games. I'm having lots of fun just fucking around and murdering the fuck out of everything or hunting gangs for bounties.

My new favorite thing is to walk down the sidewalk while constantly bumping into a chosen target, most of the time the target will go into a tight-butt head down fastwalk and veer off or try to change direction once they realize they are being targeted, every once in a while they will pull out a weapon and attack you.

What's impressive to me is the lengths that an NPC will go to to evade you once they realize that they are being harrassed/targeted, whether on foot or in a car they will keep running and chaging direction as long as you stay following. If you ever let them get too far out of sight they will despawn but I've chased down single NPC's from one side of the city to the other before finally dispatching them.

It really scratches the thrill of the chase itch.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It was always worth playing imo, despite the massive bugs, cut content and all that - even at release. Why? Because the main story overall is great, writing is decent enough, missions/side missions fun enough(although lacking alot of C&C), combat is so-so and serviceable.

If you (like most ppl me included) came looking for next-gen upgraded cyberpunk GTA thats better than rockstars GTA with massive open world quests and C&C, fleshed out combat and support systems, yeah, ur gonna be disappointed..

it is what it is

Wake the fuck up, samurai

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here

Was about to link this. For all the ADD kids intimidated by the length of the whole video - I suggest watching the "V's Dilemma" segment in which the nigga addresses the whole "muh ludo-narrative dissonance of doing side-quests while your brain is rotting away" point. It's only 5 minutes.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom