Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
They already have recouped their losses from development. They have your money and don't give a fuck about anything else.
Their brand is irreparably damaged. CDPR went from beloved to shit listed overnight.
How impressive are cyberpunk's sales if they're directly responsible for damaging the sales of any game CDPR makes going forward?

Im not trying to be snide here but you WERE the one praising FO76 and how its "fixed now". People will simply forget CP77 ever happened.
I bought the game for the equivalent of $5 though

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They already have recouped their losses from development. They have your money and don't give a fuck about anything else.
Their brand is irreparably damaged. CDPR went from beloved to shit listed overnight.
How impressive are cyberpunk's sales if they're directly responsible for damaging the sales of any game CDPR makes going forward?

Im not trying to be snide here but you WERE the one praising FO76 and how its "fixed now". People will simply forget CP77 ever happened.

Fair enough, didn't actually know that.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
You're thinking too highly of an average consoomer. They'll dump some money into cool trailers, promise some wild shit and drones will eagerly eat up whatever unsalted excrements they'll cook up next time.

Codex Year of the Donut
You're thinking too highly of an average consoomer. They'll dump some money into cool trailers, promise some wild shit and drones will eagerly eat up whatever unsalted excrements they'll cook up next time.
There's a reason EA has so much DRM and always-online content, you know.

Myobi

Liturgist

It’s a company, it shouldn’t be “beloved” in the first place.

I understand people respecting their work ethics and enjoying their products, but they ain’t your friends, profit will always come first, and that’s pretty much the reason behind this mess, instead of delaying it for a while longer, they went for those juicy Christmas sales.

Now, “derp derp damage sales derk a derp”, my fucking ass… companies such as Bethesda have been releasing product after product in much worse conditions than CP, not only they don’t even bother fixing it, they also make fun of your ass for buying that shit, and you know what? You’ll just do it again, and again, “it just works” mother fuckers.

Codex Year of the Donut

It’s a company, it shouldn’t be “beloved” in the first place.

I understand people respecting their work ethics and enjoying their products, but they ain’t your friends, profit will always come first, and that’s pretty much the reason behind this mess, instead of delaying it for a while longer, they went for those juicy Christmas sales.

Now, “derp derp damage sales derk a derp”, my fucking ass… companies such as Bethesda have been releasing product after product in much worse conditions than CP, not only they don’t even bother fixing it, they also make fun of your ass for buying that shit, and you know what? You’ll just do it again, and again, “it just works” mother fuckers.

do you think it's a coincidence that bethesda released FO76 on steam after it being exclusive to their launcher?

Myobi

Liturgist
do you think it's a coincidence that bethesda released FO76 on steam after it being exclusive to their launcher?

Your point? Because I get that feeling that we just re-discovered fire here, Bethesda had no reason to not to release it on Steam at that point, whoever was going to buy it on their shitty ass platform already had done it, from that point onwards might just squeeze some extra sales by throwing the damn thing at the most popular gaming platform even if it means giving them a cut.

The same will happen most likely with their next games too, because you know, it just works.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Are you seriously so naive that you think Witcher 4 is going to sell badly because four years ago CDP had a messy launch?

Assuming Witcher 4 (or whatever hypotetical game they make next) is good and avoids Cyberpunk's pitfalls of course.

Nobody will give a shit and enjoy the game as usual. Except for the Salty McSaltminers who keep grudges over videogames forever, but there ain't many of those.

Myobi

Liturgist
amazing levels of cdpr fanboi cope
"t-t-they'll be fine, j-j-just like EA and bethesda...."

That's all you got from my post, jfc dude... you are all sorts of fucking special, ain't you?

It has nothing to do with being a fanboy or not, its a logical conclusion based on the stupity of people, if people are dumb enough to support (...and not just financially) companies that have been doing shit like this and worse for decades, and are doing just "fine", there isnt much reason for this one to be any different.

Fucking hell, imagine this shit, the mother fucker that turned the Fallout 76 thread into a blog post shit talking about video games and calling people fanboys... go put that special edition toxic ass power armor helmet on, the damn thing might have some use after all.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

That's all you got from my post, jfc dude... you are all sorts of fucking special, ain't you?

It has nothing to do with being a fanboy or not, its a logical conclusion based on the stupity of people, if people are dumb enough to support (...and not just financially) companies that have being doing shit like this and worse for decades, and are doing just "fine", there isnt much reason for this one to be any different.

Fucking hell, imagine this shit, the mother fucker that turned the Fallout 76 thread into a blog post shit talking about video games and calling people fanboys... go put that special edition toxic ass power armor helmet on, the damn thing might have some use after all.
cope

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
C'mon now, companies get away with a hell of a lot more than just releasing an unfinished mess nowadays.

Do ya'll remember the absolute clusterfuck that F76 was a few years ago? I don't mean just the utter embarrassment of the game itself but all that shit with the fake swag, nuke cola, toxic helmets, shitty jackets, retarded MTX, it went on and on and on for months, every week a new hooter of a scandal. No company in history has ever been so hated and ridiculed, not even EA.

If Starfield releases tomorrow it sells 10 million copies the first day, 40 million within the first year, and as long as it's no more broken and vapid as Skyrim was at launch Todd Howard's dick is drenched with journalist saliva again.

Myobi

Liturgist

It has nothing to do with being a fanboy or not, its a logical conclusion based on the stupity of people, if people are dumb enough to support (...and not just financially) companies that have being doing shit like this and worse for decades, and are doing just "fine", there isnt much reason for this one to be any different.

cope

Thank you for providing such a great example of the level of retardation required for these companies to do just "fine".

KVVRR

Learned

cope
27,272 posts seems to be a good place to stop, wouldn't you agree?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
C'mon now, companies get away with a hell of a lot more than just releasing an unfinished mess nowadays.

Do ya'll remember the absolute clusterfuck that F76 was a few years ago? I don't mean just the utter embarrassment of the game itself but all that shit with the fake swag, nuke cola, toxic helmets, shitty jackets, retarded MTX, it went on and on and on for months, every week a new hooter of a scandal. No company in history has ever been so hated and ridiculed, not even EA.

If Starfield releases tomorrow it sells 10 million copies the first day, 40 million within the first year, and as long as it's no more broken and vapid as Skyrim was at launch Todd Howard's dick is drenched with journalist saliva again.

If corporations know one undeniable truth, it's that consumers are dumb as shit and can be counted on to be milked of their hard-earned cash.

Myobi

Liturgist

Hold up, sorry if I'm a little late on this one, but how's that "fair enough", how is that even relevant to the point? You called him out for being an hypocrite cunt who shills for a specific company while shitting on others for doing the same... why does it matter how much he paid for it?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Hold up, sorry if I'm a little late on this one, but how's that "fair enough", how is that even relevant to the point? You called him out for being an hypocrite cunt who shills for a specific company while shitting on others for doing the same... why does it matter how much he paid for it?

I can't really point fingers at this point because I paid 5$ for something like the Elite Dangerous DLC, to a company that's objectively bad and a game that's objectively bad.

Myobi

Liturgist

I can't really point fingers at this point because I paid 5$ for something like the Elite Dangerous DLC, to a company that's objectively bad and a game that's objectively bad.

...so? Almost everyone already paid for "objectively bad" games, and that's fine, just as it is to enjoy those "objectively bad" games, jokes aside, it's fine if the mofo enjoys Fallout 76, but c'mon, shitting on other companies for pulling shit like this while fondling bethesda balls is just laughable.

Hellraiser

Arcane

Was about to post they published the financial results for 2020. Anyway here's an English earnings presentation the first half of which is full of PR propaganda and buzzwords, the second half is more useful but it does not show the thing I was most interested in.

Namely I was looking for this in the actual 2020 financial statement:

acJ35cw.png

The two figures at the bottom that I marked with the red frame are the value of development expenses (both finished and in progress, could include patches in the case of the latter)* capitalized that have not yet been amortized (so not impacting the reported profit). Looks like over half of the game's development cost was already reflected in the actual result and ~405 million potato will be in the coming years, at least that is the rough guess I have.

Also read that they were off by about a million less sold copies from what analysts predicted on average, although worse by 100k copies from the most pessimistic analyst.

*if they had anything other than developments than cyberpunk they were also included here, but I think it is safe to assume at least 99% of it was cyberpunk development that got capitalized and included in those figures.

tl;dr the result is hardly spectacular but it seems good enough and a far cry from the expected catastrophe. Also they want to pay out dividends so probably this all will be enough to pacify shareholders, and there will be no major shareholder revolt that could lead to something like a sell off of the company to a big publisher.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Total budget of C77, both development and marketing, is 316 million USD.

That is a lot more than I expected - after all, Witcher 3 cost 81 million USD, incl. marketing.

Cyberpunk had 530 developers on it (peak), while Witcher 3 had 250 (peak). So twice as many.

I suppose getting that Porsche license, Keanu, all that music licensing and popstars - this stuff ain't cheap.

I am somewhat surprised the peak was only 530 devs. I expected it to be around 700. It is considerably less than what Rockstar had on RDR2 (1500).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom