Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

ind33d

Learned
An all-white cyberpunk world just sounds like some sort of Third Reich wet dream to me, no basis in reality.

We already had this kind of world in the "Wolfenstein: The New Order" game series.
Original Bioshock Infinite would have been like that, but it was cancelled and Irrational just shat out 10 hours of barely connected Doom arenas. Amusingly Redfall could have been like pre-reboot Infinite, but Arkane fucked that up too

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
This isn't true at all. Did you even play the game? There's tons of decisions to make from little ones like who to spare and who to kill to several endings for the main quest.

There are some decisions, but they don't really feel as weighty as they used to in CDPR's past titles, and I say that as someone who likes 2077 in general. The main quest is fairly linear up until the ABC(d) choice five-ish hours before its own conclusion. Much of the side content feels like it was cut out from a previous, near complete version of the game and lost a bunch of branches in the process, or sometimes even proper conclusions. Can't remember a single quest line that felt like Blood Baron in how wide it scattered the possible outcomes. Well, except the one in the prologue.

ind33d

Learned
This isn't true at all. Did you even play the game? There's tons of decisions to make from little ones like who to spare and who to kill to several endings for the main quest.

There are some decisions, but they don't really feel as weighty as they used to in CDPR's past titles, and I say that as someone who likes 2077 in general. The main quest is fairly linear up until the ABC(d) choice five-ish hours before its own conclusion. Much of the side content feels like it was cut out from a previous, near complete version of the game and lost a bunch of branches in the process, or sometimes even proper conclusions. Can't remember a single quest line that felt like Blood Baron in how wide it scattered the possible outcomes. Well, except the one in the prologue.
yeah, the game feels so linear that i assumed i couldn't save takemura even though i tried to rescue paul in Deus Ex

jackofshadows

Magister
And that article explains why some might "feel" as the game is too linear. Wrong expectations first and foremost (as for the game as a whole) and a nice example with takamura. I personally didn't save him btw because I was playing a total asshole so it was very nice to compare our playthroughs with a friend who did save him. And there was a great amount of lesser differences be that gameplay wise or character wise, endings and so on and you're telling me player has no agency? Anyway, all that dev has basically confirmed that they've promised too much therefore complains "justified".
What you mean the main quest is linear when you can do bunch of missions in a different order and see some distinctions say just like in Witcher 3. Your post also reads as "I compare the released game with my imaginary version of it and the real thing loses". Well, no shit.

Not sure what BB outcomes are you talking about, whether he hangs himself in the end or not? Wow, such reactivity. And if you want an example of a well done with far-reaching consequents CP2077 quest, remember that dron job mission on a plant with maelstrom guys.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I don't get why Americans assume it is. It's actually just tinny (sic) part of it.
Well this is a thread about CP2077 which does, in fact, take place in America.

And, whether you'll ever be able to admit it or not, American culture basically dominates the world. I mean here you are, posting about a game based in America, on a site hosted in America, complaining that the rest of the world isn't America.

Irony isn't isolated to America, though.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
And if you want an example of a well done with far-reaching consequents CP2077 quest, remember that dron job mission on a plant with maelstrom guys.

Well yeah, I mentioned the prologue quest, the one I remembered having a branching structure and noticeable variation of outcomes.

And if I'm comparing 2077 to some imaginary game that could have been, it's because we know the game got rebuilt several times - CDPR people admitted as much in the past - and to me that seems like a decent enough explanation for having so many bite sized narrative components over bigger, more complex, CnC driven ones. The game had other issues, but the over editing specifically had to have hurt the final product narratively.

jackofshadows

Magister
Well yeah, I mentioned the prologue quest, the one I remembered having a branching structure and noticeable variation of outcomes.
Oh but that's from act 1 I think. I'd thought you were about the prologue quest where you carry a naked girl and do some very insightful quest for her later on.
And if I'm comparing 2077 to some imaginary game that could have been, it's because we know the game got rebuilt several times - CDPR people admitted as much in the past - and to me that seems like a decent enough explanation for having so many bite sized narrative components over bigger, more complex, CnC driven ones. The game had other issues, but the over editing specifically had to have hurt the final product narratively.
I'm aware of that. What I'm trying to say, stop it and evaluate the game strictly on its own (output) merits.

Frozen

Arcane
I don't get why Americans assume it is. It's actually just tinny (sic) part of it.
Well this is a thread about CP2077 which does, in fact, take place in America.

And, whether you'll ever be able to admit it or not, American culture basically dominates the world. I mean here you are, posting about a game based in America, on a site hosted in America, complaining that the rest of the world isn't America.

Irony isn't isolated to America, though.

I'm not complaining, I'm stating a fact.

What culture? If you mean Hollywood that's total shit for like 20y+

Same as music or video games or anything else.

And as I said, one of (many) problems of this crap game is that it's not futuristic and is 99% shitty ghetto from any American big city of today.

Why would you put a game in it? You would not want to live in it in rl. There is nothing cool about it. It just sucks.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
What culture? If you mean Hollywood that's total shit for like 20y+
You may not appreciate American culture nor place any value on it, but it exists and dominates nonetheless.

it's not futuristic
I could have sworn I'd seen super-advanced computers in it along with cybertech replacement arms and shit along with full-on androids along with...

You would not want to live in it in rl.
I don't think I'd want to live in a world with demons roaming the land, dragons burning towns, and death at every doorstep, either, yet I choose to play games that depict these things.

Frozen

Arcane
Seeing a demon is cool. Seeing bunch of garbage in a corner of a generic building (badly rendered) is not.

Frozen

Arcane
No, its not that. Art direction in this game is abysmal. It looks so fucking ugly and generic...almost as bad as a Bethesda game.

Cyberpunk could work if done with quality people not these potato losers. If you make it retro and give it some personality.

What they did instead is a cringe remake of one of those saints or gta games, put some cyberpunk-ish tropes in it just because and name it cyberpunk.

If I did not know better, I would think they just reused assets from some canceled game that was going to be in present day and just add some shit in it to make it look a bit futuristic.

Personally I can't really imagine a sci-punk game without minorities all over the place -- basically, not being minorities anymore.

An all-white cyberpunk world just sounds like some sort of Third Reich wet dream to me, no basis in reality.

Thats because you are American who assumes it should reflect present-day United States.

If its cyberpunk in let's say China, you would find niggers only in Zoo

Given the chickens seem to be coming home to roost for China and its one-child policy, it likely wouldn’t be all that weird for a futuristic cyberpunk China to not be as Chinese as China today.

Last edited:

Frozen

Arcane
And who would replace them?

Most of the countries around the world are not multiethnic.

Every multiethnic society leads to death, destruction and civil war.

Then one side prevails and exterminate the other. And you have peace and stability.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
No, its not that. Art direction in this game is abysmal. It looks so fucking ugly and generic...almost as bad as a Bethesda game.
If I did not know better, I would think they just reused assets from some canceled game that was going to be in present day and just add some shit in it to make it look a bit futuristic.
Much of Night City itself is brilliantly designed, with stunning cyberpunk vistas, while it is night-time or raining, but the developers, in their brilliance, set daytime to last for 18 hours and the weather to almost always be clear; I think the occasional rain and even rarer fog are initiated by reaching certain stages in certain quests, not by any dynamic weather system. The game allows the player to skip time by having the player-character wait, but someone playing without exploiting this feature would mostly see the bland, washed-out version of Night City that exists in the daytime sun. Importantly, the aesthetic design virtues apply only to the exteriors, as the interiors are largely non-existent (only a small portion of the buildings can actually be entered) and are generally dull.

5h68mv.jpg

dxnboe.jpg

ind33d

Learned
Much of Night City itself is brilliantly designed, with stunning cyberpunk vistas, while it is night-time or raining, but the developers, in their brilliance, set daytime to last for 18 hours and the weather to almost always be clear; I think the occasional rain and even rarer fog are initiated by reaching certain stages in certain quests, not by any dynamic weather system. The game allows the player to skip time by having the player-character wait, but someone playing without exploiting this feature would mostly see the bland, washed-out version of Night City that exists in the daytime sun. Importantly, the aesthetic design virtues apply only to the exteriors, as the interiors are largely non-existent (only a small portion of the buildings can actually be entered) and are generally dull.

5h68mv.jpg

dxnboe.jpg
I'm surprised modders haven't already made interiors for the buildings and added random shitty gigs. You can already clip through a bunch of windows you aren't supposed to

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter

5h68mv.jpg

dxnboe.jpg
I'm surprised modders haven't already made interiors for the buildings and added random shitty gigs. You can already clip through a bunch of windows you aren't supposed to
I don't think the engine/mod tools support modding that much, which I personally think is very sad.

Frozen

Arcane

5h68mv.jpg

dxnboe.jpg

Even at night it looks like shit. Its just so fucking ugly.

Those badly rendered cubes that should represent buildings look like something out of early 2000s

Only thing missing are sprites lel

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

5h68mv.jpg

dxnboe.jpg
Honestly, it looks like generic cyberpunk cityscape.
Deus Ex looked way better because it wasn't over the top cyberpunk, it's focus was on writing, story and general game design, though I think Michael Pondsmith said that Deus Ex, while a great dystopian game, wasn't exactly fitting in the Cyberpunk category...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom