Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Vyvian

Educated
One minor irritation is the lack of any sort of stats on the clothing now. People complained (quite rightly) that you weren't getting any stats from the chrome, as you should be getting, so now all your armor is in cyberware. But that's just as "unrealistic" as the other extreme. You've got all sorts of bulletproof vests and shit in the clothing, materials that are supposed to be hi tech, super tough, helmets, etc. Why can't we have a bit of both?

Too much work to balance "officially" I suppose, and given that people use the appearance wardrobe a lot now, probably not worth the bother. But I'm hoping modders will get on to this. I'd like to be able to wear a good combination of non-goofy clothing that's functional and adds an extra layer of mitigation.
They didn't even go all the way removing stats from clothes.
You still get the old green or red arrows at times even on clothes they don't have small passive bonuses.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I installed the DLC tonight, but I'm hit with a weird bug where nobody takes any damage. This makes combat pointless and many quests impossible to progress. Even the Suicide hack doesn't work. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Hellraiser

Arcane
One minor irritation is the lack of any sort of stats on the clothing now. People complained (quite rightly) that you weren't getting any stats from the chrome, as you should be getting, so now all your armor is in cyberware. But that's just as "unrealistic" as the other extreme. You've got all sorts of bulletproof vests and shit in the clothing, materials that are supposed to be hi tech, super tough, helmets, etc. Why can't we have a bit of both?

There are bullet-proof vests and helmets that give up to +25 armor, I'm using those myself. They don't drop until tier 4 or 5 loot starts dropping though from what I noticed.

KVVRR

Learned
Having finished Phantom Liberty and experienced all the endings, I can safely say that they're pretty much shit and I don't like it one bit how the narrative for the DLC tries to slam my head against the wall that is Songbird's fanclub and get me to feel sorry for her or feel bad if I choose to fuck her over for my sake. But then the game goes further into this, by showing

how everything fell apart without V in the picture of Night City. The part that I really hated the most was how there was no emergency contact for V when he was in a coma, no one was allowed to know anything that happened to V, he didn't even send anything other than some vague messages, though granted he did think he was gonna be away for a month or two.

I feel like this is only the case if you go with the Reed route. The game goes on and on about how she doesn't have any other option and how much of a tortured soul she is and showing you all these flashbacks that I don't think any other character besides Johnny gets. It feels like it's shoving it all down your throat in an attempt to make you feel sorry for her -- the gameplay section on that part of the game being kinda garbage also didn't help.
I went the opposite direction at first, helping her instead because hey, she's the one that's got the cure right? and assuming you don't have a problem betraying the rest of the dlc cast it felt a lot more natural. No forced flashbacks, only two terminally ill people fighting for their lives and only getting worse as the story goes along - only for the game to hit you with the reveal that she, obviously, never actually intended to help you. Which yeah you could see from a mile away with how much she was trying to chum up to you before you had to side with her or Reed. But if you go that route the game never really blames you for fucking her over afterwards if you want to. The only weird thing about that ending is that the goverment somehow honors their deal and fixes you, even though you're a rogue agent that has made a public massacre not once but twice and killed countless US soldiers while helping a terrorist. I know Reed's a man of his word but come the fuck on, really?

V also not contacting anybody before the operation was also ridiculous I agree there. If you're gonna pull something like that ending you need to make it sincere, the operation wasn't even a secret, so why wouldn't V's close ones come visit him? You already hear people talking to you while on a coma. Just say that it actually was them, and have them had moved on because it's been 2 years.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, no way they could have done archetypes well. Not with full VO.

Actually, maybe if they didn't spend Los Angeles money on Keanu, they could have done it...

I think the dazzle in CDPR's eyes over getting Keanu Reeves was more of a problem than however much it cost to get him. They certainly wasted more production hours in throwing away content when they decided on a different direction for the game than Keanu's salary cost in man hours.

Yep, that's about the size of it. One can understand how it must have seemed like a good idea at the time from the point of view of marketing - but the game was already one of the most anticipated games of all time, they really didn't need the extra marketing. (I remember on seeing the Keanu reveal thinking, "Oh cool, a Keanu cameo, that'll be nice!" Little did I know ... :) )

KVVRR

Learned
I installed the DLC tonight, but I'm hit with a weird bug where nobody takes any damage. This makes combat pointless and many quests impossible to progress. Even the Suicide hack doesn't work. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
I got a bug where I couldn't die but nothing like that, no. I fixed it by reloading another save, maybe try that?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I got a bug where I couldn't die but nothing like that, no. I fixed it by reloading another save, maybe try that?
Unfortunately that doesn't work either, I even tried reloading one of my oldes saves and it still had the same bug. I did find one thing that does damage; poison gas. It's the only thing that can kill me, but it doesn't seem to be very effective against enemies.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Too much work to balance "officially" I suppose, and given that people use the appearance wardrobe a lot now, probably not worth the bother. But I'm hoping modders will get on to this. I'd like to be able to wear a good combination of non-goofy clothing that's functional and adds an extra layer of mitigation.
There are pieces with some stats like bonuses to armour for bullet proof vests or reload speed for jackets with tons of pockets or ammo bags, etc.

jackofshadows

Magister

There are bullet-proof vests and helmets that give up to +25 armor, I'm using those myself. They don't drop until tier 4 or 5 loot starts dropping though from what I noticed.
Nah it's just the dlc loot sheets I think. Like the new vests gives you armor but any old ones - not (lazy). I got the first one early, being <20lvl.

The mini-boss fights suck huge balls indeed, it's immersion breaking at the very least. On very hard they they soak like 20 head shots with grad - what the fuck is that shit? Jesus fuck, kurwas got kurwed completely, it seems. I quite liked the base game despite all the shortcomings (got to play it at 1.5) but so far dlc is a massive dissapointment pretty much all over.

The new car and drop events are nice though, happen too often however.

By the way, I have a question: WHERE IS THE SEGS? The base game was too puritan for its setting it was odd but now it's like a whole new level. Not a single tit in sight. Only niggers and girlbosses (reminds me of something recent what was that).

mediocrepoet

Patron

Nah it's just the dlc loot sheets I think. Like the new vests gives you armor but any old ones - not (lazy). I got the first one early, being <20lvl.

Maybe? I have the DLC but I'm still only tooling around in the OC. I restarted for 2.0 and I have a whole whack of stuff that has bonuses of various types.

Trithne

Erudite
No DLC here, seen plenty of clothes with bonuses from tier 1 onwards, from the start of the game.

I've noticed that the armour vests and helmets tend to have melee/ranged damage reduction on them rather than raw armour though.

Been rocking a tactical vest for reload speed and to complete the Redneck daVe aesthetic.

image.png

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I'm at the beginning of the game (lev. 10, just ended Act 1) and found +5 bullet-proof vest. Also I have a balaclava that helps me with staying concealed. So there are bonuses from clothes, albeit few and often minor.

mediocrepoet

Patron
No DLC here, seen plenty of clothes with bonuses from tier 1 onwards, from the start of the game.

I've noticed that the armour vests and helmets tend to have melee/ranged damage reduction on them rather than raw armour though.

Been rocking a tactical vest for reload speed and to complete the Redneck daVe aesthetic.

image.png
Add like 150lbs and you have my general mental image of many Codexers. :lol:

Child of Malkav

Erudite

image.png
Add like 150lbs and you have my general mental image of many Codexers. :lol:
Need a mod to replace the hat with a MAGA hat. That would be a more accurate representation. And a badass one now that I think about it.

Vatnik Wumao
Instead, the writers make it very clear you're supposed to idolize Johnny and suck up to him.
Maybe this is me reading too much into things, but I'm not convinced that was the case. For example, there's even this bit where you control Johnny in one of his flashbacks and, after Alt is kidnapped by Arasaka, you can choose to say something like "No, this all about me!" I kinda felt like Johnny was meant to embody a romanticised vision of rebellion but that there was also a deliberate subtext that he, or at least the engram, was a dangerous, violent psychopath, severely disconnected from reality. Even in the beginning, when Viktor brings V up to speed, the protagonist's reaction is panic that there's a "dead terrorist" in their head.

Johnny is a cyberpsycho. A high functioning one, but still completely insane. His rant during the flashback about everything being about him is just the most obvious sign. Alt outright tells you not to trust Johnny's memories since they're papered over with layers of self justification and delusion.

Johnny gets parts of his own history wrong, the tags he gifts you aren't from a friend and he wasn't the bad ass commando during the Arasaka raid. Everything he experienced is seen through the lens of narcissism.

Turning against Johnny makes sense in this scenario and makes for good character conflict, but the game casts you as the bad guy for refusing to worship Johnny. That's the real problem.

Vatnik Wumao

In a day when society was stable but felt oppressive, rebellious anarchy could feel positive. In an era when society itself is anarchic and tyrannical, it feels like you're being asked to worship evil. That's a deeper question than I think the developers wanted to ponder, though, despite the obligatory inclusions of "fascists are bad!" in random text message shards.
The question has no satisfying answer. Because it means Takemura was always right. Corps are a source of progress and stability. What evil they do is justified by the good they achieve. Rebellion only creates more problems for everyone. So V should just go get a real job and not be a mercenary.

KVVRR

Learned
Johnny is a cyberpsycho. A high functioning one, but still completely insane. His rant during the flashback about everything being about him is just the most obvious sign. Alt outright tells you not to trust Johnny's memories since they're papered over with layers of self justification and delusion.

Johnny gets parts of his own history wrong, the tags he gifts you aren't from a friend and he wasn't the bad ass commando during the Arasaka raid. Everything he experienced is seen through the lens of narcissism.

Turning against Johnny makes sense in this scenario and makes for good character conflict, but the game casts you as the bad guy for refusing to worship Johnny. That's the real problem.
I think it's less that the game casts you as the bad guy and more that you're just fighting with a part of you that's becoming stronger and stronger. Remember: the engram is eating away at V's mind to make more Johnny. Of course he'd see going against his views as wrong. Most people in game agree that Johnny was a complete asshole as well., and the game never really forces you to go with what he wants.

mediocrepoet

Patron

I think it's less that the game casts you as the bad guy and more that you're just fighting with a part of you that's becoming stronger and stronger. Remember: the engram is eating away at V's mind to make more Johnny. Of course he'd see going against his views as wrong. Most people in game agree that Johnny was a complete asshole as well., and the game never really forces you to go with what he wants.
This. It's also why at first Johnny's an aggressive and hostile dickbag and gradually becomes more friendly seeming over time. By the time of the end game, if you've been friendly with Johnny, it's not really clear that there's any real divergence between Johnny and V. They're besties and in it together, etc. I'm not sure how much that changes if you go out of your way to tell Johnny to fuck himself, but either way, the sort of "descent into madness" theme is interesting.

Vatnik Wumao
I'm thinking more of the moral comeuppance V gets for refusing to buy into Johnny's smash the corps idea. If V distrusts Johnny and works with Arasaka, he literally gets nothing other than imprisonment in a digital prison.

If V lets Johnny completely devour him and goes on the suicide mission, V manages to become a legend, which is the quest V and his original BFF set out on in chapter one.

There's a moral judgement that doing what Johnny wants would be what the "real" V would have wanted at the start of the game.

Vatnik Wumao
This. It's also why at first Johnny's an aggressive and hostile dickbag and gradually becomes more friendly seeming over time. By the time of the end game, if you've been friendly with Johnny, it's not really clear that there's any real divergence between Johnny and V. They're besties and in it together, etc. I'm not sure how much that changes if you go out of your way to tell Johnny to fuck himself, but either way, the sort of "descent into madness" theme is interesting.
If you had low affinity with Johnny, he will admit that he isn't the real Johnny but a digital spirit of rebellion meant to get V to question his worldview.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
If V lets Johnny completely devour him and goes on the suicide mission, V manages to become a legend, which is the quest V and his original BFF set out on in chapter one.
no they wanted lots of cash not to become legends, stealing a computer chip hardly makes them legends anyway

Vatnik Wumao
no they wanted lots of cash not to become legends, stealing a computer chip hardly makes them legends anyway
Jackie keeps talking about becoming a legend during the first chapter. V can be less optimistic depending on dialogue choice but he never outright disagrees.

KVVRR

Learned
I'm thinking more of the moral comeuppance V gets for refusing to buy into Johnny's smash the corps idea. If V distrusts Johnny and works with Arasaka, he literally gets nothing other than imprisonment in a digital prison.

There's a moral judgement that doing what Johnny wants would be what the "real" V would have wanted at the start of the game.
The new ending kinda fixes this if you go that route. Hell, it's probably the exact opposite of what Johnny would want you to do in any situation. And yet
it turns out quite alright for V, all things considered

Trusting Arasaka is the real dumb move regardless of how you'd like to proceed. If there are any genuinely bad guys in the setting, it'd be them. Even by the end they're still trying to play you; Takemura will tell you that Hanako has forgotten all about you, yet she will still call you and ask if you'd be interested in some work if you decide to not go through with the final operation.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

They didn't even go all the way removing stats from clothes.
You still get the old green or red arrows at times even on clothes they don't have small passive bonuses.
The mod exists, there is no one to update it for 2.0: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/2975

StreetStyle is a Cyberpunk 2077 mod that makes your personal stylistic fashion choices have an effect on gameplay.

For every piece of equipment in the game, the mod introduces an own Strength, Reflexes, Technical, Intelligence and Cool value, each between 1 and 5 depending on what kind of clothing it is.
These stats affect skill checks in both dialouges and device interactions.

For example, if you wear Netrunning Equipment, which has quite high Intelligence values, it will boost your Intelligence Stat in dialogue options and device interactions that require a certain level of skill in that field.
On the other hand, it will not boost your Strength and Reflexes stats by a lot since Netrunning equipment is not designed for direct combat - this is something a heavy Arasaka Chestplate would be a lot better at.

StreetStyle also introduces a completely new Styles System into the game: Every piece of equipment also has been assigned one of the four Styles of Night City: Entropism, Kitsch, Neomilitarism, Neokitsch.
The combination of said styles also has an effect on gameplay: If you wear many items of the same style, you will also recieve a considerable buff in skill check stats. StreetStyle 1.4 also adds other skill-specific buffs.
This gives an incentive to dress up in a more consistent style, which is somthing the base game does not do at all.

The mod also increases the difficulty of skill checks a bit so they won't all be super easy due to the buffs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom