Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Screenshot-20230930-224825.png

As with many systems in the game, Vehicle combat feels tacked on for the cool factor and is pretty shallow.
I recently encountered one little flash of how it could be cool but it fizzled into nothing.
A car full of Maelstrom specifically targeted me to crash into then fire a few shots before speeding away. I shot back at them, they alerted but kept driving off... nothing came of it and they vanished into the ether.
Shooting out of vehicles is pretty useless, but wait until you unlock weaponized cars. Since they come with armor, they are great for initializing combat, since you'll be able to kill few enemies before having to leave your car.
https://files.catbox.moe/sf9fb3.webm

Vatnik Wumao
Talking about being believable, why is Night City so dominated by skyscrapers? Night City isn't set in Japan where land is scarce, the city is surrounded by empty plains. Instead of being tight and vertical, Night City should be sprawling out across the desert.

Vyvian

Educated
As with many systems in the game, Vehicle combat feels tacked on for the cool factor and is pretty shallow.
I recently encountered one little flash of how it could be cool but it fizzled into nothing.
A car full of Maelstrom specifically targeted me to crash into then fire a few shots before speeding away. I shot back at them, they alerted but kept driving off... nothing came of it and they vanished into the ether.
Shooting out of vehicles is pretty useless, but wait until you unlock weaponized cars. Since they come with armor, they are great for initializing combat, since you'll be able to kill few enemies before having to leave your car.
https://files.catbox.moe/sf9fb3.webm
Alright that makes me want to invest in the car combat perks now.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
could ignore it by out DPS it like usually is in other popamoles, but I was wrong, point to the poles

Yep. Not all popamoles are the same.

Same for turn based games, UnderRail has the best armor mechanic in a video game. DOS2 the worst.

u unlock weaponized cars.

Are "militarized cars" great as UndeRrail?

And can I mod a non armed car? can I put a 30mm auto cannon in my car?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I feel like they created the city first, then wondered what to do with it and then started to insert points of interests and fill the city with life when it should have been the other way around.
The only competent section of the Cyberpunk 2077 developers was the team creating the external urban environment, and it was likely completed prior to the most of the quests, individuals, and so forth, given the tortuous nature of the game's development. :M

Talking about being believable, why is Night City so dominated by skyscrapers? Night City isn't set in Japan where land is scarce, the city is surrounded by empty plains. Instead of being tight and vertical, Night City should be sprawling out across the desert.
People already don't like how it's not permanently a rainy night, you can't take out the tall buildings too.

v1c70r14

Educated
Whoever came up with screenshot mode in modern games should get a pay raise. Now players themselves take screenshots that aren't representative of the game at all without any gameplay to be seen.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Whoever came up with screenshot mode in modern games should get a pay raise. Now players themselves take screenshots that aren't representative of the game at all without any gameplay to be seen.
What the fuck are you on about? My game look's like this in motion that's why I stop and take screenshots :lol:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

A netrunner INT build is as OP in car combat as they are in the regular game. They are the "wizard" class of CP2077 basically. Once you get about 12+ RAM (typically Tier 3 cyberdeck if you don't have augments or skills) you can start doing some crazy stuff to cars. Pull the emergency brake, make the person accelerate straight ahead full speed, remote control the car, or simply detonate it. Since unlike gun combat you automatically "hit" with quickhacks you can probably see why this is powerful.

Car combat is still tacked on though either way. It is a rarity in game unless you seek it out and for missions were it would be really useful, like the racing missions, magically you can't hack -those- cars.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Gamers have now lived long enough to see themselves become the villains.
Those were such prophetic words.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
It should be like kowloon walled city

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I've started a run where I use exclusively stealth, takedowns, the beginning quick hacks for distractions, the beginning deck, optical camo and double jump cyberware. No perks whatsoever, all attributes are at 3. Using only a silenced scoped gun for distractions and environment stuff. It's been fun so far but it feels like the game wasn't really meant to be played like this. I know, shocking. There are alternate paths but you have to look for them. Which is a plus. When you go to the Clouds to talk with Woodman, if you go around finding info about Evelyn and investigating her booth you can blackmail the guy into telling you about Fingers clinic. Which I didn't know, I thought you could only kill him or pay him to get that info.
And you can get into the clinic from the right side of the building by jumping up on the awning or running sprinting from the nearby rooftop and landing near a window you can open and get directly into the room and after that Judy comes in and says I should have told her I am window person.
You can generally sneak past everyone or takedown whoever's in your way. But I like that you have to look for alternate paths, they're not obvious at first. Anyway, just rushing the main story and will attempt the DLC as well.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I do stack headshot multi on my chrome, up to 70% and can go much higher.
How did you get to stack that up? Do you use that perk that allow you to re roll the stats bonuses when upgrading the cyberware?

Yeah. First impression was that it's terrible with how low those bonuses are at early levels, but if you're investing in chrome, they can stack up pretty heavily at Tier 5 and up.

I tested the basic Overture some more, and with final Cool perk and Tyrosine Injector, I could fairly reliably one tap basic enemies once the fight starts going. For power revolvers, there's also Metel as an option, but I don't think you can put sights on that one and it's only available in Dogtown as far as I can tell. Also, Burya with some tech investment seems like it could be a one tap machine, but you know, charge time.

Don't have any of the iconic revolvers yet, but there might be some potential there too.

Hellraiser

Arcane
By the way, any tabletop fans around here? Did tabletop CB actually have vehicle combat? I wonder how that could work.
It had as the whole point of Nomads was giving you the chance to go road warrior in your sessions (or maybe Mad Max 1 is a better comparison as the badlands weren't yet that far gone), although now that I checked via google there's been a bunch of revisions/supplemental rules to the core rulebook mechanics. I think the Deep Space sourcebook for Cyberpunk 2020 even had rules on space ship combat, hard science fiction style appropriate to the "near future" technology. Really need to reread that sourcebook and it's near space predecessor one day, ton of good inspiring ideas in that one for very early space colonization settings.

Vatnik Wumao
It should be like kowloon walled city
That actually makes sense. It would also explain why the corps are so powerful in the city. Basically a criminal / corporate enclave in the middle of NUSA territory. And since NUSA police pens night city within a tightly defined boundary, the city needed to build upward.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
those that are doing gta missions, what is your firearm of choice? Cant force enemy cars to explode. Right now using comrade hammer.
Its also annoying that enemy cars are defying physics - even if driving a truck they can make ultra sharp turns and have unmatched speed. If you hijack their car its obviously trash.

Hellraiser

Arcane
those that are doing gta missions, what is your firearm of choice? Cant force enemy cars to explode. Right now using comrade hammer.
Its also annoying that enemy cars are defying physics - even if driving a truck they can make ultra sharp turns and have unmatched speed. If you hijack their car its obviously trash.

I stop, walk out of the car to force them to stop and do the same, throw grenades their way or chop them up, get back to the car before more gangoons spawn, sometimes leaving one or two behind on purpose so more don't spawn ( and they can't get back into the car and chase my character due to lack of scriping I think lololol).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom