Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Trithne

Erudite
There is actually a lot of flexibility in how you do individual missions, with variant ways in and solutions via dialogue or exploration. On the mission scale, Cyberpunk works fine. Each mission is like a little mini-imsim, and that's where the enjoyment in the game is.

The C&C lines through the game as a whole are mostly just based on "who did you make friends with and who died?"

And then at the end of everything it's just "Pick your final mission".

You can't skip the Parade, even though arguably if you've found Alt and got the Basilisk you've got everything you need for one of the ending routes.

The three main mission lines that happen in parallel in Act 3 feel like they were intended to be a continuation of the lifepath system - Panam (Nomad) - Judy (Street) - Takemura (Corpo). Allowing you to follow all 3 paths and choose a direction is good, but forcing you to do all 3 kinda sucks. Although you don't have to do all the follow up missions for each.

The mandatory Nomad missions end once you've met Hellman.
The mandatory Street missions end once you've met Alt.
The mandatory Corpo missions end once you've met Hanako.

Panam and Judy just have a chain that follows on from that, and one of the ending options requires finishing Panam's, but otherwise you can fuck off after getting Hellman and leave her to argue with Saul forever.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm lvl 25 now, and I have some overall impressions of the new patch.

Builds & Difficulty. First, this time around you have things possible with one build which you don't have with another.

It's on Hard and Very Hard difficulty where your build choices start to matter and spreading out too much can make you relatively weak.

I'm playing a guns build, perks specializing in assault rifles, but using all kinds of power weapons. So for guns builds I think Hard is the difficulty for smoother gameplay and less often reloading of savegames. I plan to make another playthrough with a (female) netrunner/pistol ninja, and that's the build where I think Very Hard would be more appropriate, because you would get into intense gunfights with multiple enemies less often. So it would make sense to have individual enemies hit harder and have more longevity. But I find Very Hard too punishing for an assault guy, even with grenades and Sandevistan, if you get hit twice, and are caught without healing items, you are likely dead. Or maybe I'm not that good yet? But how do you get "good" - lots of save/load cycles obviously. I'm not interested in overcoming that learning curve..

As I've seen others point out, perk trees differ significantly in their utility. I've spent about 5 points in dash but I barely find myself using it. The very fact that you have to use a dedicated button for this action makes using this skill tougher than others.

Level scaling and balance. All the drama here over it was heavily overblown. Much as I imagined, blanket changes to enemy levels can't expunge the built-in difficulty grading of zones and enemies. Even with 2.0's "level scaling" Maelstromers of Northside felt a lot easier to kill than Animals in Pacifica. I did one gig for Mr. Hands in Pacifica - the one where you have to descend down a construction site's foundation into an Animals' hideout and steal a van from there. I had numerous skull enemies present and it was waay harder than the HeavenMed Clinic ("Rite of passage") or the other one where you have to save the doctor.

Also, at some point I noticed I've seemingly stopped encountering skull Maelstromers. This leads me to thinking the zones still have a level ceiling, and I'm overleveled for Northside at lvl ~22. With the added uncertainty about enemies' strength because you no longer see the levels anywhere on the UI, the "level scaling" of 2.0 is actually an improvement.

Regardless of the loot clutter being cleaned in 2.0, if you go on to methodically clean out areas of NCPD work/Gigs/Secondary quests, you still end up with way more money than you know what to do with. I guess this is where the money sinks of apartments, cars, and in 2.0, clothes come into play. I think some more balancing work is needed here - reduce the eddie rewards to make the player put some work. With Northside cleaned out I have around 240 000 eddies, not having bought any cars, apartments or guns. I once spent about 20 000 on cyberware but that was my only spending spree.

Having so much money trivializes the cyberware system, so you can have "one of everything" and swap cyberware according to the mission or personal preference. This may add some nice flexibility, but also break immersion.

Crafting. The cyberware progression aspect would have been ruined if it wasn't for the crafting system rework. The decision that the player has to spend the same resource on upgrading cyberware and upgrading weapons was very good. I find myself wanting to do NCPD work and gigs in order to farm more crafting materials. Finally some use of the NCPD missions!

Prospective work for modding. On the negative side, clothes being completely gutted as a system is bad, and I only hope mods fix this, as they had it fixed in version 1.63. All the car customizations will likely be back soon as well, as mods get updated for 2.0. Reduction of the rate of XP and money gain can balance out these economies so that the game resembles an RPG more. More pronounced differences in gangoons' weak/strong sides could also be good, though I'm mostly happy with them even now. Apart from whole systems, like faction reputations, being added through scripting those are the fields where I can see mods improving gameplay.

As for QoL mods like controls, UI, car handling, flashlights, custom radio, etc., etc., those more minor mods are always nice to have and will soon be available again.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I'm lvl 25 now, and I have some overall impressions of the new patch.

Builds & Difficulty. First, this time around you have things possible with one build which you don't have with another.

It's on Hard and Very Hard difficulty where your build choices start to matter and spreading out too much can make you relatively weak.

I'm playing a guns build, perks specializing in assault rifles, but using all kinds of power weapons. So for guns builds I think Hard is the difficulty for smoother gameplay and less often reloading of savegames. I plan to make another playthrough with a (female) netrunner/pistol ninja, and that's the build where I think Very Hard would be more appropriate, because you would get into intense gunfights with multiple enemies less often. So it would make sense to have individual enemies hit harder and have more longevity. But I find Very Hard too punishing for an assault guy, even with grenades and Sandevistan, if you get hit twice, and are caught without healing items, you are likely dead. Or maybe I'm not that good yet? But how do you get "good" - lots of save/load cycles obviously. I'm not interested in overcoming that learning curve..

As I've seen others point out, perk trees differ significantly in their utility. I've spent about 5 points in dash but I barely find myself using it. The very fact that you have to use a dedicated button for this action makes using this skill tougher than others.

Level scaling and balance. All the drama here over it was heavily overblown. Much as I imagined, blanket changes to enemy levels can't expunge the built-in difficulty grading of zones and enemies. Even with 2.0's "level scaling" Maelstromers of Northside felt a lot easier to kill than Animals in Pacifica. I did one gig for Mr. Hands in Pacifica - the one where you have to descend down a construction site's foundation into an Animals' hideout and steal a van from there. I had numerous skull enemies present and it was waay harder than the HeavenMed Clinic ("Rite of passage") or the other one where you have to save the doctor.

Also, at some point I noticed I've seemingly stopped encountering skull Maelstromers. This leads me to thinking the zones still have a level ceiling, and I'm overleveled for Northside at lvl ~22. With the added uncertainty about enemies' strength because you no longer see the levels anywhere on the UI, the "level scaling" of 2.0 is actually an improvement.

Regardless of the loot clutter being cleaned in 2.0, if you go on to methodically clean out areas of NCPD work/Gigs/Secondary quests, you still end up with way more money than you know what to do with. I guess this is where the money sinks of apartments, cars, and in 2.0, clothes come into play. I think some more balancing work is needed here - reduce the eddie rewards to make the player put some work. With Northside cleaned out I have around 240 000 eddies, not having bought any cars, apartments or guns. I once spent about 20 000 on cyberware but that was my only spending spree.

Having so much money trivializes the cyberware system, so you can have "one of everything" and swap cyberware according to the mission or personal preference. This may add some nice flexibility, but also break immersion.

Crafting. The cyberware progression aspect would have been ruined if it wasn't for the crafting system rework. The decision that the player has to spend the same resource on upgrading cyberware and upgrading weapons was very good. I find myself wanting to do NCPD work and gigs in order to farm more crafting materials. Finally some use of the NCPD missions!

Prospective work for modding. On the negative side, clothes being completely gutted as a system is bad, and I only hope mods fix this, as they had it fixed in version 1.63. All the car customizations will likely be back soon as well, as mods get updated for 2.0. Reduction of the rate of XP and money gain can balance out these economies so that the game resembles an RPG more. More pronounced differences in gangoons' weak/strong sides could also be good, though I'm mostly happy with them even now. Apart from whole systems, like faction reputations, being added through scripting those are the fields where I can see mods improving gameplay.

As for QoL mods like controls, UI, car handling, flashlights, custom radio, etc., etc., those more minor mods are always nice to have and will soon be available again.

This may be a bit of an odd question, but what about the ubiquitous terminals? Do they serve a purpose, like in the 2020 trailers, or does their role end with a shitty mini-game after which you get 4 euros?

Trithne

Erudite
This may be a bit of an odd question, but what about the ubiquitous terminals? Do they serve a purpose, like in the 2020 trailers, or does their role end with a shitty mini-game after which you get 4 euros?

Do you mean the Access Points that you do the Breach Protocol minigame on?

It's the primary way for Netrunner-focused characters to acquire crafting components for Quickhacks.

The eddies are an extra.

If you autistically clear all the NCPD scanner hits then I can see that happening, I generally found I would build up to 80/100k and then spend down to nigh nothing doing a wave of cyberware and rebuild with a few gigs.

I bought a car just for the larp and that was 45k, money generally feels fine to me. I avoid buying weapons because they're coming in at around 30-50k each now at level 35.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You guys use your purchased cars? I recently spent approx 190k for a fleet of cars (selling all those guns from gigs net a lot of cash) but I still move around the city mostly in stolen vehicles :)

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
those that are doing gta missions, what is your firearm of choice? Cant force enemy cars to explode. Right now using comrade hammer.
Its also annoying that enemy cars are defying physics - even if driving a truck they can make ultra sharp turns and have unmatched speed. If you hijack their car its obviously trash.

I stop, walk out of the car to force them to stop and do the same, throw grenades their way or chop them up, get back to the car before more gangoons spawn, sometimes leaving one or two behind on purpose so more don't spawn ( and they can't get back into the car and chase my character due to lack of scriping I think lololol).
ive noticed that when you drive a car you have unlimited bullets.
obviously I decided to getproblem solver out. Then I started testing various smgs.
Out of those available to me, I think best result were from fenrir and that new iconic tech smg(you can charge it while driving).

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Do you mean the Access Points that you do the Breach Protocol minigame on?

It's the primary way for Netrunner-focused characters to acquire crafting components for Quickhacks.

The eddies are an extra.

If you autistically clear all the NCPD scanner hits then I can see that happening, I generally found I would build up to 80/100k and then spend down to nigh nothing doing a wave of cyberware and rebuild with a few gigs.

I bought a car just for the larp and that was 45k, money generally feels fine to me. I avoid buying weapons because they're coming in at around 30-50k each now at level 35.

So hacking like in this trailer from 2019 will always remain just a dream...

You guys use your purchased cars? I recently spent approx 190k for a fleet of cars (selling all those guns from gigs net a lot of cash) but I still move around the city mostly in stolen vehicles :)

The only vehicle you need is a motorcycle from your gay friend.

Trithne

Erudite

Nigger you need to timestamp what you want me to look at.

Prior to the 2.0 rework there were Daemons you could install in a Breach Protocol that would debuff or automatically highlight all enemies linked to that network. It was unlocked via perks. I think that's been removed in 2.0.

Last edited:

Moink

Cipher
Anyone with tips for making revolvers work on very hard?
I stacked headshot damage+Apogee Sandevistan+the one cybernetic that refreshes cyberware's cooldown by 10% on kill, you walk into rooms and delete everything before they can shoot back.
I feel like they created the city first, then wondered what to do with it and then started to insert points of interests and fill the city with life when it should have been the other way around.
The map was made for more or less a different type of game and kinda grandfathered into the release product.
I wonder if they will keep this version of Night City in the sequel
I'd rather they got away from NC for a sequel, give me a game set in one of those giant Japanese mega towerblocs you hear about.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
The three main mission lines that happen in parallel in Act 3 feel like they were intended to be a continuation of the lifepath system - Panam (Nomad) - Judy (Street) - Takemura (Corpo). Allowing you to follow all 3 paths and choose a direction is good, but forcing you to do all 3 kinda sucks. Although you don't have to do all the follow up missions for each.

Act 3? They are given to you in Act 2. Although now that I think about it it makes sense to do them in Act 3, which feels empty if you have already done them before the Parade

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I'd rather they got away from NC for a sequel, give me a game set in one of those giant Japanese mega towerblocs you hear about.

Hard to imagine CP2020 themes playing out well in Japan that is actually recognizable as Japan from a social standpoint. You need that strong undercurrent of opposition aimed at establishment imposed norms.

And yet the fucking state of the art infiltration drone you need to acquire at the start of the game from Maelstrom is only 10k

I'd give them a pass on that one. It's not just stolen goods, it's stolen Militech goods.

Last edited:

Trithne

Erudite

Act 3? They are given to you in Act 2. Although now that I think about it it makes sense to do them in Act 3, which feels empty if you have already done them before the Parade

I meant Act 2, but yeah.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So hacking like in this trailer from 2019 will always remain just a dream...
There used to be a mod for that, but the author has disappeared. https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/4808

Ah, sad news, I liked his amateur netrunners and SDO mods
Btw, the good car handling mod isn't so much Immersive driving, but Cyber Vehicle Overhaul: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3016

Hellion

Arcane
It's fun that side-jobs/gigs in Dogtown all have some minor post-quest effect in the world. For example if at the end of a gig you have the option to kill someone or make a deal with them, almost always there will be some further interaction in the world depending on what you chose, either receiving a call/text message from someone related to the quest or having an extra encounter in the world that is shaped by what you chose.

Just now I finished a gig where you have to steal some data or make a deal with its rather shady corpo owner, I made the deal, then proceeded to shoot the owner in the head anyway, and Johnny's hologram popped up and approvingly said "FINALLY". It's like the devs took some extra care and prepared the game to respond (to a smaller or greater extent) to pretty much anything the players might try during Phantom Liberty quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom