Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

abija

Prophet
So I'm not the only one who noticed that maxtac during that mission is easy compared to their in the wild 5 star equivalent.
It's designed so you engage 1 by 1 vs the one hacked by reed. As in it makes sense why they are a lot weaker.

MasPingon

Arcane
I'm finishing the main story and the game just reminded me how childish the writing felt back in 2020. I've finished all Silverhand nanny quests, got an approval of 85%, been bro to him since the beginning and really started to like him, since PL added much more interactions between him and V.

Now I got only two options to choose from - being an Alesraka bitch and a snitch or give a wheel to Johny and let him attack Alesraka with Rogue. What the fuck led me to this place? After 80 hours you give me two most dissatisfying option I can think of. I don't want any of this, there was no appropiate build up for it. The writer of this story is like a farmer who went to harvest the crops, got into the combine and only then he realized that he forgot to sow the seeds. I don't give a flying fuck about Alesraka, no matter how much the game trying to force it on me.

I don't want to help Hanako, she is an unlikeable bitch and I don't want to destroy Alesraka, because I don't care. They didn't hurt me in any way possible, V was the one stealing their shit, I don't have any moral dillemas nor desire for revenge. I don't have any feelings towards this corporation at all. If you romance Panam those desert gypsies can help you, but who the hell would like to interact with this 3rd wave feminist self insert more then it's nescessary to complete the game? I have been so tortured after 3 obligatory main quests with her, the moment she called asking for help and I said I have more important things to do was like a shower after diving in septic tank.

Oh, there is a secret ending, where you can just storm Alesraka Tower with Johny as V. Like Neo and Trinity suicide mission to resque Morpheus. But guess what? Your relations with Johny doesn't matter, he can hate you. All you need to do is to choose specific dialog option while doing Chippin In. And this is rich, I can't think of a situation in which I am so wasted to choose such fucking retarded use of words. Context - you arrive at the place where they buried the body of Johny, it turns out it's a dump and there is not even a cross or something, nothing to commemorate his death. He sits in front of you and seems to be in deep despair. V decides to write something up on a dumpster and Johny asks how would you define your relationship with him.

Being a bro you say "Johny Silverhand, they guy who saved my life". Hearing that, he says at least friendship between you two is something he didn't fuck up. And now candle on the cake, what a fucking "writer" wants you to tell him after all this? You need to tell him "No, you fucked that also" and humiliate him like in a god damn Jada Pinkett - Will Smith life action rpg. Then you got 3rd ending option while speaking with Johny on the roof. Someone in writers room got issues, at least he is long gone from the studio judging by how any of this kind of bipolar disorder shit is not present in Phantom Liberty.

This whole ending section reminds me of Captain Planet/Power Rangers type of writing. You want to tell me I will attack Alesraka Tower in the company of 70 years old grandma, wipe all the guards and kill Adam Smasher? I made better storylines in my head when i was a kid, trying to justify the fight between He-Man and Skeletor figurines. Last time Alesraka Tower was stormed, there was whole squad of Militech with a fucking atom bomb and a whole bunch of mercenaries, Silverhand included. At least in actual lore. In this game it was Silverhand with a bunch of try-hards. Fucking Christ, this is abysmal writing. Glad they fired whole writing room before making PL.

Last edited:

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
What's the consensus for this one?
Pure kino

photomode_17102023_1747ddk.png

photomode_17102023_17ugf42.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
OK if you want to play a good looking Cyberpunk shooter
I'm ok with that

I've finished all Silverhand nanny quests, got an approval of 85%, been bro to him since the beginning and really started to like him
What the fuck led me to this place? After 80 hours you give me two most dissatisfying option I can think of.
Honestly jokes on you
Johnny is unironically a sociopath
Wtf were you expecting?
:lol:

MasPingon

Arcane
OK if you want to play a good looking Cyberpunk shooter
I'm ok with that

I've finished all Silverhand nanny quests, got an approval of 85%, been bro to him since the beginning and really started to like him
What the fuck led me to this place? After 80 hours you give me two most dissatisfying option I can think of.
Honestly jokes on you
Johnny is unironically a sociopath
Wtf were you expecting?
:lol:
You don't get it. Johny being a sociopath have nothing to do with luckluster design. I was expecting that my previous choices would affect an ending. And I don't mean one little dialog choice during this 80 hours, but a sum of choices. Meanwhile there is non of that, the game present you two absolutely retarded options you can choose from, no matter what. If you are disgraceful simp, there is a third slightly different option(but still attack on Arasaka ofcourse :lol:). Seeing this, you could also shoot yourself in the head, which is really unintentionally symbolic. Since the game is scaled to your level now, they could spare us all this interactive movie bullshit that is CP2077 main storyline and just start the game with you and Johny on the roof, planning to storm Arasaka. You wouldn't feel a difference, non of the things you've done before this event matter anyway.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
they could spare us all this interactive movie bullshit that is CP2077 main storyline and just start the game with you and Johny on the roof, planning to storm Arasaka. You wouldn't feel a difference, non of the things you've done before this event matter anyway.
The difference is that I wouldn't get to play all the cool missions and side quests before that - not to mention the game would have to dump like 30 minutes of exposition to give players some context

abija

Prophet
30 mins of exposition is nothing special in this game and dumping it would be an improvement.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
30 mins of exposition is nothing special in this game and dumping it would be an improvement.
You'd rather have a 30 minute video segment dropped on you than the way the story is presented? I'd rather just have a text blurb or voice over like the gig calls now and then and just drop the entire mess and lean more into designing gig and crime sections for you to tool around in. I prefer games to story time though.

MasPingon

Arcane
they could spare us all this interactive movie bullshit that is CP2077 main storyline and just start the game with you and Johny on the roof, planning to storm Arasaka. You wouldn't feel a difference, non of the things you've done before this event matter anyway.
The difference is that I wouldn't get to play all the cool missions and side quests before that - not to mention the game would have to dump like 30 minutes of exposition to give players some context
Yes, some of gigs are really cool, I don't deny that. But main story presentation and c&c in it sucks. Phantom Liberty is huge improvement.

Btw this forced attack on Arasaka Tower now got even less sense since(if you finished PL) you got an implant that allows V to just impersonate anyone he choose. You could just walk streight in as a scientist/Araksaka netrunner right into where Micoshi is. But no, let's take storm Arasaka Tower motif from CP lore and use it one more time.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm finishing the main story and the game just reminded me how childish the writing felt back in 2020. I've finished all Silverhand nanny quests, got an approval of 85%, been bro to him since the beginning and really started to like him, since PL added much more interactions between him and V.

Now I got only two options to choose from - being an Alesraka bitch and a snitch or give a wheel to Johny and let him attack Alesraka with Rogue. What the fuck led me to this place? After 80 hours you give me two most dissatisfying option I can think of. I don't want any of this, there was no appropiate build up for it. The writer of this story is like a farmer who went to harvest the crops, got into the combine and only then he realized that he forgot to sow the seeds. I don't give a flying fuck about Alesraka, no matter how much the game trying to force it on me.

I don't want to help Hanako, she is an unlikeable bitch and I don't want to destroy Alesraka, because I don't care. They didn't hurt me in any way possible, V was the one stealing their shit, I don't have any moral dillemas nor desire for revenge. I don't have any feelings towards this corporation at all. If you romance Panam those desert gypsies can help you, but who the hell would like to interact with this 3rd wave feminist self insert more then it's nescessary to complete the game? I have been so tortured after 3 obligatory main quests with her, the moment she called asking for help and I said I have more important things to do was like a shower after diving in septic tank.

Oh, there is a secret ending, where you can just storm Alesraka Tower with Johny as V. Like Neo and Trinity suicide mission to resque Morpheus. But guess what? Your relations with Johny doesn't matter, he can hate you. All you need to do is to choose specific dialog option while doing Chippin In. And this is rich, I can't think of a situation in which I am so wasted to choose such fucking retarded use of words. Context - you arrive at the place where they buried the body of Johny, it turns out it's a dump and there is not even a cross or something, nothing to commemorate his death. He sits in front of you and seems to be in deep despair. V decides to write something up on a dumpster and Johny asks how would you define your relationship with him.

Being a bro you say "Johny Silverhand, they guy who saved my life". Hearing that, he says at least friendship between you two is something he didn't fuck up. And now candle on the cake, what a fucking "writer" wants you to tell him after all this? You need to tell him "No, you fucked that also" and humiliate him like in a god damn Jada Pinkett - Will Smith life action rpg. Then you got 3rd ending option while speaking with Johny on the roof. Someone in writers room got issues, at least he is long gone from the studio judging by how any of this kind of bipolar disorder shit is not present in Phantom Liberty.

This whole ending section reminds me of Captain Planet/Power Rangers type of writing. You want to tell me I will attack Alesraka Tower in the company of 70 years old grandma, wipe all the guards and kill Adam Smasher? I made better storylines in my head when i was a kid, trying to justify the fight between He-Man and Skeletor figurines. Last time Alesraka Tower was stormed, there was whole squad of Militech with a fucking atom bomb and a whole bunch of mercenaries, Silverhand included. At least in actual lore. In this game it was Silverhand with a bunch of try-hards. Fucking Christ, this is abysmal writing. Glad they fired whole writing room before making PL.

Yeah, it's very railroaded. As with the very specific voice acting, it's all ok if you're that person, or within that narrow range of personalities, or whatever, but there are few viable options outside that window.

It's interesting: Larian actually took on the prodigious task of offering more and more different voice response response options for as many playstyles as they could in BG3 (they're still not enough really, compared to what you could have with just text, but more than in this game). CDPR either didn't have enough time, or money, or organizational capability.

I've been finding it quite amusing trying out some of the AI voice packs that are appearing. It's quite a difference when the voice actor sounds like Scarlett Johanssen or Ryan Gosling, s/he feels like a totally different V at times, and one feels oneself wanting to make different responses. (Scarlett's tone sounds a lot more jaded and cynical than the overly-enthusiastic standard V female :) ) The voice packs still aren't good enough for prime time really (they sound ok if you're listening quietly on shitty speakers, but as soon as you put a good pair of headphones on and listen to it loud, you can hear the grainey artifactey nature of them), but the exercise is quite fun to try out for a bit.

Re. the quality of the writing - meh, it's fairly standard for games, not worse than most really.

abija

Prophet
You'd rather have a 30 minute video segment dropped on you than the way the story is presented? I'd rather just have a text blurb or voice over like the gig calls now and then and just drop the entire mess and lean more into designing gig and crime sections for you to tool around in. I prefer games to story time though.
Yes I'd prefer videos to "press F to continue, follow NPC, do whatever the fuck irrelevant shit" to progress the video.
I mean short intermezzos like when you meet hands between gigs, those aren't an issue. The main story though it's exactly the opposite.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes I'd prefer videos to "press F to continue, follow NPC, do whatever the fuck irrelevant shit" + video.
I mean short intermezzos like when you meet hands between gigs, those aren't an issue. The main story though it's exactly the opposite.
Ah I see. Yeah, I'd just dump it and drop it to the intermission type crap like gigs. Anyway, I think we're more or less saying the same type of thing.

Quillon

Arcane
Tried the new ending, its better than all the rest imo; better a fitting closure than most other ambiguous shit base game has to offer and a peek at what's next for NC. But the reasoning for getting on the AV is very weak knowing what'll it do to Silverhand and while there are other options.

Zeriel

Arcane

Dunno about that, the PL ending seems just as contrived and "everything sucks, because we say it does". While I don't mind the characters who are retards abandoning you because you had a hospital stay, if you did care about them, it makes zero sense and is just as much a kick in the balls as original endings, for the same reason too, because The Message and the Writer's Vision is more important than immersion, world coherency, etc.

It reminds me of the state of writing in TV and movies in general. We have reached the point where writers get very mad when the consumer reads a message or experience in a different way than they intended. The Boys is a great example of this, they dedicated a whole season to making sure a certain segment of the audience knew they were Wrong.

MasPingon

Arcane

Dunno about that, the PL ending seems just as contrived and "everything sucks, because we say it does". While I don't mind the characters who are retards abandoning you because you had a hospital stay, if you did care about them, it makes zero sense and is just as much a kick in the balls as original endings, for the same reason too, because The Message and the Writer's Vision is more important than immersion, world coherency, etc.

It reminds me of the state of writing in TV and movies in general. We have reached the point where writers get very mad when the consumer reads a message or experience in a different way than they intended. The Boys is a great example of this, they dedicated a whole season to making sure a certain segment of the audience knew they were Wrong.
Exactly my thoughts on endings. I saved Songbird and let her escape, so I'm not judging FL for it's epilogue. Saw it on youtube tho and I agree, it's in similar fasion to the ones we got in the main game - depressing and nihilistic. It's like there was this one antisocial guy in writing room who was responsible for delivering The Message, he's done his job first so he could just get the fuck out and lock himself in his room and then the rest of a team started making an actual game. Endings are disjoined from an actual gameplay and overal tone of the game.

Last edited:

VonMiskov

Educated
You should know that the writing is shit when main plot point is technology to backup your whole persona on an USB Stick but no one uses it except to copy a terrorist from 55 year ago. And now you have a major company CEO that get killed but didn't keep a copy of himself. There was potential but one should employ writers that can write a logical script that adds one to one. There's also no sense of connection to any character, really. Your bestie dies pretty early in the game and you are really a blank slate. I didn't care about my character or really about anyone. Being slowly absorbed by Johnny is not communicated by your character, at least wasn't in vanilla. Suddenly you are Johnny. What why?
Not to mention the bullshit of destruction of internet so everything stayed the same for 55 fucking years, even characters, styles, cars, guns. Time just stopped.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
You should know that the writing is shit when main plot point is technology to backup your whole persona on an USB Stick but no one uses it except to copy a terrorist from 55 year ago. And now you have a major company CEO that get killed but didn't keep a copy of himself. T
Anything else retard?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Any must have mods?

Tbh, not really. Unlike previous iterations when you needed a fair few mods to make the game enjoyable, it's quite decent out of the box these days. There's nothing essential to making the gameplay tolerable like FGR was back in the day, or the similar combinations that held sway during v1.61, because basically CDPR took most of the - how to say, indirect advice from the popularity of those mods - on board.

One QOL mod that's pretty essential IMHO is Custom Quickslots for Consumables. Re. gameplay, if you do a lot of open world piddling-about, you might want to slow down the xp gain rate with this. Get into the game fast with this. Really the only things you might want are QOL/interface tweaks to taste, graphics tweaks, immersion tweaks and performance tweaks - and booba/dressup ofc, if that's your jam. There are a few modders who have whole bunches of good QOL mods, like djkovrik, mk1234, psiberx and a few others.

You can actually use MO2 with the game these days, it's very easy and works well, so you can easily try things out/reject them - instructions here. (Though this describes a way of using the Rootbuilder plugin, it offers the alternative of manual installation of CET and Red4ext, and I would go that way; everything else can go through MO2, but leave Overwrite as is, don't make mods out of what's in Overwrite, as was best practice with Skyrim, otherwise settings for various things won't stick.)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom