Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Fairfax

Arcane
Bunch of designers make their pitch for PoE's story. Fenstermaker and MCA had pitches, don't know who else.
Ask MCA if he had a pitch of his own and what it was, would you?
I did. He had a pitch of his own, but he couldn't even talk about what he said in those meetings.

From what I recall from official info, he didn't pitch one and didn't attend all the story meetings either. It's also possible he may have spoken about it before, but I do not recall.
He confirmed it to Crooked Bee at the time:
I also did multiple critiques of the lore and the storyline(s) (including suggesting one framework for the story, along with other designers), but the storyline does not have many of my suggestions or contributions, it is largely the Creative Lead’s voice and direction guiding it, as it should be.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah fair enough. They neglected to include him in the initial list of people who did one. I recall multiple people asking about it and they never said he did one.

Fairfax

Arcane
The links and quotes in that article are quite interesting in hindsight.

Roguey Why are you calling them Absurdian all of a sudden? Or am I missing something?

I first called them Absuridan on July 9, 2011 and have done so at least 19 other times since then. I have very little respect for most of the people who work there. Subpar at art, Subpar at coding, full of bad players, bad at management, list goes on.

Recent Josh-posting highlighting Obsidian absurdity:

i do my best to require designers to design around a solid foundation of core gameplay. anything that isn't core or requires new scripting/programming has to be listed as a b-priority. if the a-priority content doesn't stand on its own, it needs to be redesigned. i've had too many experiences where a designer attempts to make something that features zero core gameplay. even if what they are doing is an interesting idea, it usually a) feels strange in the context of the game and b) is fragile/under-tested/non-robust because it's built upon auxiliary features.

in these cases i also often find that the designers don't fully understand how to use the core tools available, which is why it's important to force them to use them.

Roguey, does Sawyer consider dialogue "core gameplay"?

Sannom

Augur
He's been fairly consistent in saying that dialogue was part of PS:T's gameplay and that was why he considered it good, as opposed to people who says that PS:T's has great writing, shit gameplay.

I believe that the recent reveal of skills dedicated to dialogs and scripted scenes with no impact on combat or stealth might indicate a willingness of giving dialogs the same kind of attention than combat.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
He's been fairly consistent in saying that dialogue was part of PS:T's gameplay and that was why he considered it good, as opposed to people who says that PS:T's has great writing, shit gameplay.

I believe that the recent reveal of skills dedicated to dialogs and scripted scenes with no impact on combat or stealth might indicate a willingness of giving dialogs the same kind of attention than combat.
I don't know how he likes it, because his approach would've destroyed PS:T.

Role playing is important, but it's not gameplay.
Then deep down he probably wanted to Durance and Grieving Mother entirely, as their quests feature zero core gameplay. Even though they're not coming back, hopefully he's learned something for PoE2, since they were the 2 of the 3 most popular companions.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Bobby Null has been promoted and Dave Williams, who I think came from the Pathfinder card game is doing Lead System Design instead of Josh.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Then deep down he probably wanted to Durance and Grieving Mother entirely, as their quests feature zero core gameplay. Even though they're not coming back, hopefully he's learned something for PoE2, since they were the 2 of the 3 most popular companions.

Goons loathe both of them though. :M

Quillon

Arcane
He doesn't speak against Bethesda or any Beth. Fallout no matter what but when Feargus also won't, he loses it.

Prime Junta

He's approaching the "drunk late night phone call" stage of the breakup.

Good news is, it's only a few small steps from that to new a new glorious relationship. Hang in there Chris Avellone, you're almost through it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom