Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's two kinds of people in the world. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thank god that i am not american and don't get all those "reference" in old RPGs.

I think Grotesque also pointed that out as well, and very likely a huge advantage for non-Americans playing F2, imo.

That's actually an interesting perspective that I've never really considered.

A lot of the pop culture references went over my head when I first played FO2, as such I never really had a big issue taking the game seriously.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Same for me, but the game still felt more like a large theme park compared to the solid world-building of the first part

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
meh, i played fo2 first and the only thing i really noticed when i got to fo1 was that it had less stuff for me to do and kill and the game felt smaller. i was also quite young back then and wasn't trying to eLARP being a tryhard edgelord like i do now.

Santander02

Arcane
I was like 12 when played Fallouts and the difference between them was striking. I played F2 a lot for fun and lulz, but F1 legitimately scared the fuck out of me so I only finished it once back then.

I second this, paying f1 for the first time it was something very survival horror-ish about coming across the entrance to Vault 15, a little shack in the middle of an empty map, then crawl trough it with just your low on ammo 9mm pistol and an spandex suit, not knowing what was going to jump at you at the next corner. Then there's also locations like The Glow and The Cathedral (Maripossa too if you let yourself be captured) that just have this eeriness about them, even when you go trough them later in the game and armed to the teeth. Something about trudging trough desolated ruins and piecing together the worlds history, while not being sure what you'll find next, gave the game a subdued but always there scary atmosphere.

Fallout 2 had a lot of fun stuff in it but it completely shattered the atmosphere set in place by Fallout 1, f1 had weird stuff too but the fact it took itself seriously made it more unsettling rather than the "lol so crazy" kind of weird of f2. Not to say Fallout 2 was bad for it but I would love to play a game with the same kind of depressing, kind of mysterious atmosphere as f1 again. Don't think anything I've played since then has come close except maybe some parts of New Vegas (ie: Sierra Madre, Vault 11)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was always impressed with the amount of content in Fallout 2, even if it didn't manage to retain the atmosphere of the first game.

It is definitely one of those "theme park" style RPGs.

Fairfax

Arcane
PS:T feature written by MCA for Computer Gaming World #189:

fslYg.jpg
fz2eU.jpg
fsi1q.jpg
fzta8.jpg
fzmXG.jpg

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Sure thing bro. But New Reno is shit and out of place, amirite?

And since you insist of changing the subject because you can't defend your position otherwise: I bet the larping Romans are also great while New Reno is still shit, right?
I never had a problem with New Reno, though it would have been better if they had been modeled after mid-40s/50s Vegas gangsters instead of prohibition-era gangsters. Leave it to Josh Sawyer to fix this.

Aaaand once the Vegas gangsters are made, they complain about Elvis wannabes~

Elvis in Vegas! It's thematic as fuck and they keep complaining! I dont fucking know why they complain about that, really I dont.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1031795931950153728
How long does it usually take for you to write the story lines for open world games like Dying Light 2 and Fallout New Vegas? I’m genuinely curious about how many ideas you keep, modify, or discard. Or do things eventually click and come together spontaneously?
I try not to start writing and not write too much until I understand what the core gameplay loop is and what the Project Director (which may be me) wants the player to experience from the title.
not write too much
:hmmm:

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1031799532445622273
Whenever I do my annual replay of the Mass Effect trilogy, the first game is always the most painful to play through - but its story and vibe more than makes up for it.
I know, but I still point out aspects of ME1 as design-worthy to consider (too long to put in a Tweet, but in short, am glad I played it, and I enjoyed it very much).

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1031796825877929986
They're not wrong, says the man playing Pillars on "Jesus Fuck, This Game is Too Punishing Mode."
I see they finally added that difficulty setting despite protests.

Sawyer trying to save us from decline, but decline was too strong. :hero:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Hey, Mass Effect 1 is a good game. But it isn't too hard to go through. ME3 is though, on account of being an irredeemable, horrendous dumpsterfire. Makes a full trilogy replay impossible for me.

Fairfax

Arcane
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1031795931950153728
How long does it usually take for you to write the story lines for open world games like Dying Light 2 and Fallout New Vegas? I’m genuinely curious about how many ideas you keep, modify, or discard. Or do things eventually click and come together spontaneously?
I try not to start writing and not write too much until I understand what the core gameplay loop is and what the Project Director (which may be me) wants the player to experience from the title.
not write too much
rating_agenda.png

Sawyer trying to save us from decline, but decline was too strong. :hero:
Can't say that with a straight face after Deadfire. :M

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1031799532445622273
Whenever I do my annual replay of the Mass Effect trilogy, the first game is always the most painful to play through - but its story and vibe more than makes up for it.
I know, but I still point out aspects of ME1 as design-worthy to consider (too long to put in a Tweet, but in short, am glad I played it, and I enjoyed it very much).

I enjoyed Mass Effect 1 as well and I think it has the best combat/least popamole of the trilogy (although the romances are SOOOO BAD LOL). I've also played through ME1 and ME2 a number of times. One thing I have to say in BioWare's favor is that every single BioWare game I have played, I have finished. I certainly did not enjoy NWN1 OC, DA:O or ME:3, but I finished them all the same. With NWN/KotOR they developed a formula and I can certainly see why they stuck to it for so long.

Last edited:
Developer

Well, I didn’t say I didn’t write too much, I just don’t write too much at the stage indicated (pre-production, usually, because it can waste a lot of time if other systems are in flux). Outside of that, I freely admit I have a writing problem (several).

And yes, I think Mass Effect 1 does a lot of things right (especially not making humanity God’s Gift to the Universe right out the gate – in fact, the fact you’re considered the opposite and I like that you have to work against human prejudice).

The Difficulty Setting comment was a joke, however, since the setting indicated by the poster was joke-y, too.

Anyway, still plenty to critique, but wanted to clarify so at least you’re targeting the right things.

ortucis

Prophet
Thank god that i am not american and don't get all those "reference" in old RPGs.

I think Grotesque also pointed that out as well, and very likely a huge advantage for non-Americans playing F2, imo.

That's actually an interesting perspective that I've never really considered.

A lot of the pop culture references went over my head when I first played FO2, as such I never really had a big issue taking the game seriously.

This works in other media as well.

I see Westerns whining about "accents" or how fake they sound, but to me? They all sound "just right" (British guy sounds like a British guy, American as American.. so on).

So yeah, being non American is just like being a non Westerner. You just enjoy whatever you're watching or playing and judge them on everything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom