Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
https://picosong.com/wLdDR/
A man posts on the forums, he says
Why is our company struggling now
We shouldn’t still be struggling, there
Are so few here who still care
I need 'em to help kickstart a fund
I want some proper attention
Nothing’s changed here in 10 years
And the change ain't comin'
Jones, Eric, Chris Parker,
Send talent packing
Drain away the time we spent here
Mr Urquhart, Urquhart
We’re no longer underdogs, you know
it's our own fault we missed 85 percent.

Oh I’d still be an owner now
If you wouldn’t drop the ball
I can tell the forums
Maybe when the forums tell
They'll tell it all

A man posts on the forums, he says
Why are you yelling Fergus, and
Why do you start bragging Fergus, and
You yelled down our contract
There’s your wife on salary
What does she do here?
She'll get a bonus
But see our bonuses are
Gone, gone
We don’t have time to waste today, meanwhile
Our employees are gonna go through hell
Hell and back, and back
Cause you’ve optimal greatest business sense
Cause you’ve really shit the bed now

Oh I’d still be an owner
I can tell the forums
They'll tell it all

(Hey Feargus, wanna burn piles of money with us!)
(Sure thing Pubs, it'll be fucking great!)
(Let's go snort coke off of hookers in the club!)
(Fuck yeah!)
(*snort* Ugh)
(Gimme that shit, yeah, fuckin' wave that shit in my face you fuckin' whore, yeah you love it, here, fuck, take, take 50, I'm fuckin', I'm blowin' hundreds here, I'm blowin' hundreds!)

A man posts on the forums
It's a post with some strange words
Maybe they’re just hurtful
Maybe they're just meant to confound
He doesn’t write romances
He owns no currency
He's not beholden
He has a lot of love to share, to share
Ninety pages worth of it
Ramblings and reminisces
He’s out of there, of there
He has found his greatest happiness since
Pillars of Eternity
He says goodbye, and good luck Feargus

Oh I’d still be an owner
I can tell the forums
They'll tell it all

Fuck you Feargus
You ruined something good
Literally everybody liked Fallout: New Vegas
Even the people who don't like Fallout like Fallout: New Vegas
But still, fuck Bethesda
Fuck the plebs
Fuck the people who work for you, right?
Fuck you too

Oh I’d still be an owner
(kys m8) nah, da, da, da
Oh I’d still be an owner
(it's much too late)
I can tell the forums
(kys m8) nah, da, da, da, da, da, da, da
Oh I’d still be an owner
(it's much too late)
I can tell the forums
(kys m8) nah, da, da, da[/spoilers]

Puteo

Learned
MCA working on some Star Wars project:

That means he's working with EA, since they own the SW videogame license for another five years. Nothing good will come out of it.

Respawn Entertainment was recently bought out by EA and is working on a Star Wars game. Considering that Titanfall 2 easily had one of the best FPS campaigns of all time I would say that Chris working with them would be a good thing indeed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
MCA going to Croatia for Reboot Develop conference, again: http://rebootdevelopblue.com/speakers/

(Also, as revealed earlier, Swen Vincke, Wadget's Dave Gilbert, Stoic guys, Subset guy, and Chris "TA" Taylor.)

Chris Avellone
Writer / Game Designer / Creator of Worlds

Chris Avellone is best known for his work on a number of role-playing games over the past 20+ years, including Planescape: Torment, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Fallout (2 and New Vegas), Divinity: Original Sin II, and Prey. Recent works include Into the Breach with Subset Games (the makers of FTL), Pathfinder: Kingmaker with Owlcat Games, and Techland’s Dying Light 2.

Creator of Worlds

thinking.png

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
You're kidding, right? If you're not that's kind of overthinking it tbh

MCA going to Croatia for Reboot Develop conference, again: http://rebootdevelopblue.com/speakers/

(Also, as revealed earlier, Swen Vincke, Wadget's Dave Gilbert, Stoic guys, Subset guy, and Chris "TA" Taylor.)

Chris Avellone
Writer / Game Designer / Creator of Worlds

Chris Avellone is best known for his work on a number of role-playing games over the past 20+ years, including Planescape: Torment, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Fallout (2 and New Vegas), Divinity: Original Sin II, and Prey. Recent works include Into the Breach with Subset Games (the makers of FTL), Pathfinder: Kingmaker with Owlcat Games, and Techland’s Dying Light 2.

Creator of Worlds

thinking.png
so Chris Avellone is still doing pr and public appearances and no writing anything significant. maybe a companion or two here and there but that is about it.

So his creative juice have dried up.

between this and Zeits being under Sankeoil Salesman Fargo's thumb, RIP goes my dreams of a good storyfag crpg.

guess ill replay MotB when I am sick and tired of Bugfinder: Patchmaker.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
InXile's got to be sinking after two flops in a row with no hope for the third. I imagine Zeits will be a free agent sooner or later. Maybe Obsidian will hire him for the main story in Pillars 3

Squid

Arbiter
Respawn Entertainment was recently bought out by EA and is working on a Star Wars game. Considering that Titanfall 2 easily had one of the best FPS campaigns of all time I would say that Chris working with them would be a good thing indeed.
One can hope.

So his creative juice have dried up.
Not necessarily. There could be more to it all than what we know.

Bocian

Arcane

He did add it as a bark. New Reno prostitutes say this in the post-endgame:

You score is 192 out of 208. You really should have used the mutated toe on Horrigan.

He regretted the joke and clarified it in the Fallout Bible:

The second question is a real mystery for me, because I only managed to verify that part of it. Someone called "Cervantes" asked about the sixth toe gained in Toxic Caves, which can be removed in Vault City. That part is clear but now is something interesting... Cervantes says, that after he finished the game whores in New Reno kept saying: "You really should use the mutated toe on Horrigan" (to get full amount of points). Is it true or is Cervantes just pulling my leg? :-]

It's just a joke; don't do it. It doesn't do anything. Don't eat the toe, either, since I believe it poisons you.

Master Chef had a question about the mutated toe.

You said something about the mutated toe doing nothing to Horrigan....But it actually made his HP turn from 999/999 to 996/996.

Yeah, that's true, it will do some poison damage to Horrigan, like it will do to anyone else. So it does something, just nothing special.

Again, please ignore any rumors telling you to use the toe on Horrigan at the end battle in Fallout 2 - it's a bad joke.

Ages ago, I've read some troll strategy that was basically farming these toes by going in these caves continuously and then cutting them off. I believe that if you have enough of them you can bring Horrigan to 1 HP.

Latro

Arcane
I don't care how Bethe$da will rape the franchise in the future but when you hear devs that worked on Fallout 1&2 saying about Fallout in space is a good idea, you wonder.
Couldn't you do a different sort of post apocalypse, one that happens during a space age?
because you require a coherent civilization to be in space in the first place. technically, mass effect is a post-apoc space age game. another scenario is that you're stuck in a giant space hub on the brink of death by either disease or robots or something, which makes me think of the future areas from Chrono Trigger

Delterius

Arcane
I don't care how Bethe$da will rape the franchise in the future but when you hear devs that worked on Fallout 1&2 saying about Fallout in space is a good idea, you wonder.
Couldn't you do a different sort of post apocalypse, one that happens during a space age?
because you require a coherent civilization to be in space in the first place. technically, mass effect is a post-apoc space age game
you could have a space colony that becomes isolated and faces technical degradation and civil conflict that quickle degenerates into a miserable society, except maybe there's a water chip replicator hidden somewhere in the sandy dunes that you can't even activate properly

just throwing ideas around relly

Squid

Arbiter
Didn't StarCraft have the isolation of multiple colonies for the Terran be a thing? I don't remember the plot all that well outside of what happens in game. I just remember something about colonies being abandoned and they feuded with each other.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I would love to see Jeff Vogel and Chris Avellone team up to create a game.

Have you got any plans in the next 20 years to create your own world/game Chris? Even simple graphics with tiles would be great, as those are still my favourite presentation style due to clarity.

Cael

Arcane
So, in other words, Obsidian not only hit the bottom but started up the borer and commenced Mohorovicic exploration?

Fairfax

Arcane

This guy is making videos on FNV's cut content and development. I've watched a couple and they're pretty decent (someone might want to post them in relevant FNV/Obsidian threads, by the way).

The next video will be an interview with MCA, and in the video above, J.R. Vosovic shares an amusing story related to MCA:

Early on, I was sharing an office with Eric Fenstermaker. After a week or two of writing he checked in some dialogue and was super happy with it - and he had written several hundred lines. (At that point I had only written about a dozen placeholders).

A bit later he starts swearing and sort of fake-sad-crying-laughing and is looking pretty defeated. Being the glowing tower of empathy that I am, I told him to shut the f up. But also inquired why he was now a broken shell of a man.

He told me he checked in a couple hundred lines for a character, and then checked Chris Avellone's character for comparison.

... Over 10,000 lines. Legend status confirmed

So that experience really opened my eyes to the metrics required to reach exalted levels of awesome. Here I was with 10-20 lines. Fenster who was one of our best, with hundreds. Then Chris...amazing

It was long after that I read a great book called War of Art. Check it out. To summarize: work a 10-6 day every day and put in the work. It will come.
Explains a lot about Fenstermaker. :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He told me he checked in a couple hundred lines for a character, and then checked Chris Avellone's character for comparison.

... Over 10,000 lines. Legend status confirmed

Now think about how many of those had to be cut.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom